PDA

View Full Version : LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling

badger
4/29/2014, 02:04 PM
Soon to be former owner, banned for life and fined max amount of $2.5 million. (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10857580/donald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers-owner-receives-life-ban-nba)

What are your thoughts on this

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/29/2014, 02:28 PM
The most curious thing about all this is why it took from September til now for the recording of Sterling's racist comments to be made public. What ulterior motives are out there?

MsProudSooner
4/29/2014, 02:32 PM
Woman scorned? I don't know what the ulterior motives might have been. I'm just glad the NBA imposed this sentence on him.

4/29/2014, 02:38 PM
Woman scorned? I don't know what the ulterior motives might have been. I'm just glad the NBA imposed this sentence on him.Yes, woman scorned is usually the first thing we hear about, after hearing the racism recording.

FaninAma
4/29/2014, 02:44 PM
Serves the guy right for messing around with a. gold-digging tranny. You would think a billionaire could find a better looking hooker. BTW is the NBA even a sport?

cvsooner
4/29/2014, 02:46 PM
Good riddance. I only wish there was some way to keep him from profiting from the nearly $500 million or more he'll clear on the sale. Maybe we should do a Kickstarter and see if the league would sell it to us for what he paid for it...have a fan-owned team a la the Green Bay Packers.

badger
4/29/2014, 02:47 PM
I suspect that the NBA was dying for a reason to kick Donald Sterling out and they finally had the hook. It is entirely plausible that Sterling is too stupid (or too old) to understand that technology has advanced to the point that everything you say and do is being recorded, but it really doesn't matter. He was a well documented racist and he got caught saying and doing what we've all heard him say and do in the past.

Was the woman scorned? Highly likely, based on him remarking that she was always a fighter blah blah. Was it brought out at a time when it would hurt the most -- NBA playoff season? Probably. It certainly had its intended effect if so.

4/29/2014, 02:47 PM
Serves the guy right for messing around with a. gold-digging tranny. You would think a billionaire could find a better looking hooker. BTW is the NBA even a sport?Lotta folks get a little sloppy when they're in their 80's

cvsooner
4/29/2014, 02:48 PM
The only question I have is why isn't this in the general sports forum?

badger
4/29/2014, 02:48 PM
Lotta folks get a little sloppy when they're in their 80's

At that age, everyone looks young and attractive I'm guessing. And money will make the "young and attractive" hang out with those old enough to be grandpa. Ewww

badger
4/29/2014, 02:51 PM
The only question I have is why isn't this in the general sports forum?

It can be, but I figured it would fit here. It's the lead story on Drudge Report right now, after all :)

4/29/2014, 02:54 PM
Why would anyone really care what forum this is in? There's plenty here about power, money, Media influence, etc.

OU68
4/29/2014, 02:59 PM
Serves the guy right for messing around with a. gold-digging tranny. You would think a billionaire could find a better looking hooker. BTW is the NBA even a sport?

Only when Blake pwns someone with a ferocious dunk!!

4/29/2014, 03:06 PM
LA Griffins>OKC Longwhorns...BOOMER!

FaninAma
4/29/2014, 03:06 PM
The outrage has been way overblown. It will be interesting if Magic Johnson ends up with the team.

badger
4/29/2014, 03:09 PM
As for why Stiviano taped so many conversations ... as TMZ Sports reported, she told friends the Clippers owner WANTED her to record him and he knew he was being recorded ... partly because he frequently forgot what he said and the tapes refreshed his memory ... at least that's her story.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/category/tmzsports/3/#ixzz30J9fWzLn

interesting...

4/29/2014, 03:16 PM
The outrage has been intentionally overblown. It will be no surprise if Magic Johnson ends up with the team.FIFY

cvsooner
4/29/2014, 03:42 PM
Magic is more likely to raid the roster for the Lakers and let the Clips sink back to mediocrity.

Soonerjeepman
4/29/2014, 03:53 PM
Guess, I'm for the who gives a sh1t.

Let capitalism work. In this day and age of PC, ultra sensitive folks I'm sure his team would eventually lose money, guys would bolt...etc. Honestly what happened to freedom of speech? Did he keep black folks out of the arena? give them worse seats? not hire them? I guess as long as he didn't practice those policies he can think and say whatever he wants.

Fact is people of all races, nationalities, socioeconomic status will be prejudice. Doubt it ever changes. ** add religion..or non-religion as well.

Thing is our prejudices USUALLY derive from some sort of experience in dealing with people of chosen prejudice or reputation of doing things.

4/29/2014, 05:19 PM

Let capitalism work. In this day and age of PC, ultra sensitive folks I'm sure his team would eventually lose money, guys would bolt...etc. Honestly what happened to freedom of speech? Did he keep black folks out of the arena? give them worse seats? not hire them? I guess as long as he didn't practice those policies he can think and say whatever he wants.

Fact is people of all races, nationalities, socioeconomic status will be prejudice. Doubt it ever changes.

Thing is our prejudices USUALLY derive from some sort of experience in dealing with people of chosen prejudice or reputation of doing things.Well said, and lotsa truth there.

olevetonahill
4/29/2014, 06:01 PM

Fact is people of all races, nationalities, socioeconomic status will be prejudice. Doubt it ever changes.

Thing is our prejudices USUALLY derive from some sort of experience in dealing with people of chosen prejudice or reputation of doing things.

My Thots perzackery!
WGAS?
Kinda strange IMHO that these "Tapes" only came out after the Lawsuits were filed.

8timechamps
4/29/2014, 08:02 PM
I think the NBA made the only choice they could have made.

As someone mentioned, I only wish there was a way to keep Sterling from profiting further, but that's not going to happen.

Otherwise, I don't have much interest in the whole thing. Was it bad? Of course. Do I need to hear about it nonstop? Nope.

hawaii 5-0
4/29/2014, 08:38 PM
Owner Sterling should go to Nevada and be the spokesman for that Cliven Bundy tax cheat. They deserve each other in their Southern Plantation world.

5-0

Eielson
4/29/2014, 09:28 PM
interesting...

If by interesting, you mean bull****, then I think we're on the same page.

Eielson
4/29/2014, 09:38 PM
After all this publicity, Sterling HAD to sell. Why set a bad precedent of forcing NBA owners to sell based off of private conversations that should have never been recorded? Doc wasn't coming back for Sterling, and nobody was going to touch that job. The players are all under contract, but they can play just hard enough to not get fined yet lose every single game, and it's kinda difficult to have a team with no coach. People are going to show up for the tickets they already paid for, but I doubt many people would be in attendance next year if Sterling didn't sell. The Clippers don't even have any real fans after all. Instead, Silver flexed his growing dictator muscles, and brought a huge lawsuit along without. Great.

Silver could do a lot of great things for this league...or he could completely ruin it. Watch out. Big changes are coming.

FaninAma
4/29/2014, 10:11 PM
Silver looks like a Harry Potter Goblin.

Sterling was an idiot. However, its a slippery slope when a person can be deprived of property for a secret recording of that person saying something stupid. But don't worry, the NSA recording your internet usage and cell phone calls would never be used for such a nefarious purpose.

i will state that the gold-digging tranny is going to get raked over the coals by Sterling's ex-wife who has already filed a lawsuit against her.

Turd_Ferguson
4/29/2014, 10:24 PM
Owner Sterling should go to Nevada and be the spokesman for that Cliven Bundy tax cheat. They deserve each other in their Southern Plantation world.

5-0

I think you should go to Nevada and suck Cliven's cack like it's a piece of spam jammed between some seaweed...

BoulderSooner79
4/29/2014, 10:50 PM

Fact is people of all races, nationalities, socioeconomic status will be prejudice. Doubt it ever changes. ** add religion..or non-religion as well.

Capitalism is working here. The reaction from the NBA and other owners is strictly based on $$$. Sponsors were dropping, fans were threatening to leave, not buy merchandise, etc. Players were threatening to strike/boycott (and I believe they were pretty serious this time). The NBA has worked for decades to increase the value of the league and this incident was a real threat to that effort. Sterling bought the Clippers for $12.5M in '82 and basically rode the work of the rest of the league to the current 500M+ estimated value. Until very recently, he did little investing to pitch in. I'm guessing the other owners are glad to have an excuse to get rid of him.

Turd_Ferguson
4/29/2014, 11:21 PM
Capitalism is working here. The reaction from the NBA and other owners is strictly based on $$$. Sponsors were dropping, fans were threatening to leave, not buy merchandise, etc. Players were threatening to strike/boycott (and I believe they were pretty serious this time). The NBA has worked for decades to increase the value of the league and this incident was a real threat to that effort. Sterling bought the Clippers for $12.5M in '82 and basically rode the work of the rest of the league to the current 500M+ estimated value. Until very recently, he did little investing to pitch in. I'm guessing the other owners are glad to have an excuse to get rid of him.

It would be ridiculous to think the fans would leave or stop buying merchandise because some old fart told his hooker not to bring any black boyfriends to a game.

Wishboned
4/29/2014, 11:51 PM
I like Kareem's take on it.

http://time.com/79590/donald-sterling-kareem-abdul-jabbar-racism/

Moral outrage is exhausting. And dangerous. The whole country has gotten a severe case of carpal tunnel syndrome from the newest popular sport of Extreme Finger Wagging. Not to mention the neck strain from Olympic tryouts for Morally Superior Head Shaking. All over the latest in a long line of rich white celebrities to come out of the racist closet. (Was it only a couple days ago that Cliven Bundy said blacks would be better off picking cotton as slaves? And only last June Paula Deen admitted using the “N” word?)

Yes, I’m angry, too, but not just about the sins of Donald Sterling. I’ve got a list. But let’s start with Sterling. I used to work for him, back in 2000 when I coached for the Clippers for three months. He was congenial, even inviting me to his daughter’s wedding. Nothing happened or was said to indicate he suffered from IPMS (Irritable Plantation Master Syndrome). Since then, a lot has been revealed about Sterling’s business practices:

2006: U.S. Dept. of Justice sued Sterling for housing discrimination. Allegedly, he said, “Black tenants smell and attract vermin.”
2009: He reportedly paid $2.73 million in a Justice Dept. suit alleging he discriminated against blacks, Hispanics, and families with children in his rentals. (He also had to pay an additional nearly $5 million in attorneys fees and costs due to his counsel’s “sometimes outrageous conduct.”)
2009: Clippers executive (and one of the greatest NBA players in history) sued for employment discrimination based on age and race.

And now the poor guy’s girlfriend (undoubtedly ex-girlfriend now) is on tape cajoling him into revealing his racism. Man, what a winding road she led him down to get all of that out. She was like a sexy nanny playing “pin the fried chicken on the Sambo.” She blindfolded him and spun him around until he was just blathering all sorts of incoherent racist sound bites that had the news media peeing themselves with glee.

They caught big game on a slow news day, so they put his head on a pike, dubbed him Lord of the Flies, and danced around him whooping.

I don’t blame them. I’m doing some whooping right now. Racists deserve to be paraded around the modern town square of the television screen so that the rest of us who believe in the American ideals of equality can be reminded that racism is still a disease that we haven’t yet licked.

What bothers me about this whole Donald Sterling affair isn’t just his racism. I’m bothered that everyone acts as if it’s a huge surprise. Now there’s all this dramatic and very public rending of clothing about whether they should keep their expensive Clippers season tickets. Really? All this other stuff I listed above has been going on for years and this ridiculous conversation with his girlfriend is what puts you over the edge? That’s the smoking gun?

He was discriminating against black and Hispanic families for years, preventing them from getting housing. It was public record. We did nothing. Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope. Shouldn’t we have all called for his resignation back then?

Shouldn’t we be equally angered by the fact that his private, intimate conversation was taped and then leaked to the media? Didn’t we just call to task the NSA for intruding into American citizen’s privacy in such an un-American way? Although the impact is similar to Mitt Romney’s comments that were secretly taped, the difference is that Romney was giving a public speech. The making and release of this tape is so sleazy that just listening to it makes me feel like an accomplice to the crime. We didn’t steal the cake but we’re all gorging ourselves on it.

Make no mistake: Donald Sterling is the villain of this story. But he’s just a handmaiden to the bigger evil. In our quest for social justice, we shouldn’t lose sight that racism is the true enemy. He’s just another jerk with more money than brains.

So, if we’re all going to be outraged, let’s be outraged that we weren’t more outraged when his racism was first evident. Let’s be outraged that private conversations between people in an intimate relationship are recorded and publicly played. Let’s be outraged that whoever did the betraying will probably get a book deal, a sitcom, trade recipes with Hoda and Kathie Lee, and soon appear on Celebrity Apprentice and Dancing with the Stars.

The big question is “What should be done next?” I hope Sterling loses his franchise. I hope whoever made this illegal tape is sent to prison. I hope the Clippers continue to be unconditionally supported by their fans. I hope the Clippers realize that the ramblings of an 80-year-old man jealous of his young girlfriend don’t define who they are as individual players or as a team. They aren’t playing for Sterling—they’re playing for themselves, for the fans, for showing the world that neither basketball, nor our American ideals, are defined by a few pathetic men or women.

Let’s use this tawdry incident to remind ourselves of the old saying: “Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom.” Instead of being content to punish Sterling and go back to sleep, we need to be inspired to vigilantly seek out, expose, and eliminate racism at its first signs.

Wishboned
4/29/2014, 11:55 PM
And Sterling could probably lock all of this up in court until he dies.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140429/donald-sterling-nba-adam-silver-clippers-lawsuit-lifetime-ban/

BoulderSooner79
4/30/2014, 01:25 AM
It would be ridiculous to think the fans would leave or stop buying merchandise because some old fart told his hooker not to bring any black boyfriends to a game.

Probably not, but if they players boycotted during the playoffs, it would cost owners millions instantly. I was just commenting on the fact that the actions today were based on capitalism, or at least as close to it as Pro sports gets. It certainly wasn't based on anything PC. The commissioner works for the owners (minus Sterling in this case) and all the PC stuff from players and fans is only worth as much as it influences owners. In this case, it was a fair amount which means the owners saw real risk for the franchises' value. Real or imagined, it's their money and money was the driving force.

hawaii 5-0
4/30/2014, 01:29 AM
I think you should go to Nevada and suck Cliven's cack like it's a piece of spam jammed between some seaweed...

Personal attack on this forum noted. You just can't help yourself.

I've a feeling you support both Sterling and Bundy now dontcha?

5-0

Eielson
4/30/2014, 09:56 AM

It's not like it's the LA Lakers. The Clippers don't have any real fans.

badger
4/30/2014, 10:08 AM

Nah, pro sports has really been giving fans the finger in recent years, mostly in the form of rising prices. Concessions, official merchandise, tickets, parking, you name it, they're hitting regular joes in the wallet pretty hard, and fans are arguably not getting anything better with the higher costs. There's still nosebleed seats and cups of Coke for sale, except now they cost more.

I'd love an excuse to see a big arrogant league like the NBA get humbled again. The lockout a few years ago as millionaires were fighting billionaires over whether they should split things 50-50 or 47-53 was hilarious.

Much like this incident was just an excuse to get rid of a pizz poor owner finally, this was also an excuse to express outrage at a league that was taking its fans for granted

badger
4/30/2014, 10:09 AM

A-listers are Laker fans, B, C and D-listers go to Clippers games. It's kind of a cute relationship between Hollywood's top stars and top team and Hollywood's has-beens and second-billings and their *other* team :)

hawaii 5-0
4/30/2014, 11:14 AM
Just heard that the process of removing an owner from his/her team is lengthy. Two days notification. 5 days to appeal. etc.

If Sterling wanted he could draw this mess out awhile.

Hopefully he'll do what good for the game and remove himself quickly.

5-0

badger
4/30/2014, 11:16 AM
Hopefully he'll do what good for the game and remove himself quickly

Yeah that's probably not gonna happen. He's never going to be allowed to buy into a major sports league ever again so he might as well cling to the one he has as long as possible. Sterling gonna Sterling

hawaii 5-0
4/30/2014, 11:19 AM

I've watched almost all the Clippers games this year on the FOX Pacific channel. Same as last year. I'm a fan, but not a 'real' fan. I don't wear their regalia.

I hope Turkoglu is allright.

5-0

Eielson
4/30/2014, 03:12 PM
I've watched almost all the Clippers games this year on the FOX Pacific channel. Same as last year. I'm a fan, but not a 'real' fan. I don't wear their regalia.

I hope Turkoglu is allright.

5-0

Don't get me wrong, the Clippers are fun to watch, and have plenty of temporary fans. Their "fanbase" would completely disappear if Blake and Paul bolted, though. The Lakers locked up a lottery pick by the first round, yet they still have one of the strongest fanbases in all of sports.

Wearing Clippers gear takes a little courage right now (less now that Sterling has been banned). Even the Clippers don't wear their gear during warm-ups. I see little reason to believe people wouldn't stop buying Clippers clothing.

BoulderSooner79
4/30/2014, 04:19 PM
Just heard that the process of removing an owner from his/her team is lengthy. Two days notification. 5 days to appeal. etc.

If Sterling wanted he could draw this mess out awhile.

5-0

I assume you're just talking about league bylaws for such a short period. Once Sterling fires up his lawyers, I would think the process is at least a year unless Sterling just want to find a buyer and get out.

hawaii 5-0
4/30/2014, 04:24 PM
If the Clips can keep this team together a coupla years I think they can bring home the championship.

I'd still like to see them get better backups at center and power forward.

When Jordan learns to play offense he's gonna be a beast.

5-0

diverdog
4/30/2014, 08:30 PM
Too bad it wasn't Jerry Jones on the end of that telephone line.

LOL

4/30/2014, 08:32 PM
Gosh, funny!

Eielson
4/30/2014, 09:06 PM

If Jordan develops any kind of offensive game in the next year, he'll be getting a max contract after next season. I was banking on Sterling letting him go to avoid the luxury tax. A new owner could turn the tide for this team.

8timechamps
4/30/2014, 10:23 PM
Sterling will feel it in the wallet if he strings this out. As mentioned earlier, he won't have a coach next year and the players will all but quit (not physically, but you know what I mean). The market will force the sale, as no sponsor will touch the Clippers until Sterling is out.

Let me add, IF the people of this country make his girlfriend out to be some kind of hero and/or celebritizes her, I'll be sickened. Clearly she did this to "get him". She's a money grubbing hoe that needs to never be heard from publicly again.

badger
5/1/2014, 09:04 AM
Sterling will feel it in the wallet if he strings this out. As mentioned earlier, he won't have a coach next year and the players will all but quit (not physically, but you know what I mean). The market will force the sale, as no sponsor will touch the Clippers until Sterling is out.

Let me add, IF the people of this country make his girlfriend out to be some kind of hero and/or celebritizes her, I'll be sickened. Clearly she did this to "get him". She's a money grubbing hoe that needs to never be heard from publicly again.

This situation impacts her ability to market herself, so I don't think she'll be viewed as a celebrity, hero, etc. She's only famous because she was the Clippers' owner's mistress, and now that he's on the verge of not owning the Clippers or any pro sports team ever again, she'll just be the a mistress of a billionaire, and those a dime a dozen.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/1/2014, 09:38 AM
Why is no one going after the skank who recorded and released the tape. "That's a man, Baby!"

Some are now saying that the dude gave permission to record, I wonder about that...

Funny how the bigot is a big Dem donor, but no one saying that much...He has been doing this for 30 years+ and the NBA knew it. Frikin' Progressive elitist!

TheHumanAlphabet
5/1/2014, 09:42 AM
5-0

Actually, I wouldn't mind if the NBA folds, it is stupid and I don't watch it at all. Failure of all pro sports league would not affect my day one iota.

You actually think this guy will go quietly when he sued a former coach he fired for not looking hard enough for a new job to get off his "payroll" and stopping payment on a fired coaches contractual moneys? This guy loves the court, he is a lawyer and he will go down swinging and drag the NBA with him...

hawaii 5-0
5/1/2014, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I'm hoping he goes quietly.

I'm an optimist at heart. The cup is half full.

5-0

jkjsooner
5/1/2014, 10:51 AM

I'm surprised how many people don't see this.

This was about self preservation. The business model of the NBA relies on having most of the best players in the world. Offending the majority of the best players (not to mention many of the fans) is not a good business decision. The NBA distancing itself from Sterling is a good business decision.

If you try to bring in questions about public pressure or political correctness you are not seeing the real story. This is a story about a business decision.

BoulderSooner79
5/1/2014, 11:07 AM
Why is no one going after the skank who recorded and released the tape. "That's a man, Baby!"

Some are now saying that the dude gave permission to record, I wonder about that...

Funny how the bigot is a big Dem donor, but no one saying that much...He has been doing this for 30 years+ and the NBA knew it. Frikin' Progressive elitist!

Then why is he registered as a Republican according to the Los Angeles county clerk? And why does it matter? The guy has been a sleezeball since day one. He started his career as an ambulance chaser and moved "up" from there. All billionaires give donations to candidates from both parties because they want whoever wins to owe them something. They don't give a ratz azz about guns/abortion/healthcare/school prayer/etc. They just want more money in their account after April 15th or a nice fast-track on permits or other government annoyances when they get in the way. I'm sure there are exceptions, but Sterling isn't one of them.

5/1/2014, 11:50 AM
Funny how the bigot is a big Dem donor, but no one saying that much...He has been doing this for 30 years+ and the NBA knew it. Frikin' Progressive elitist!Someone big wants to buy the team, and at a bargain price.

Sooner8th
5/1/2014, 11:59 AM

Boy - rightwing republican conservative media will lie about anything, even if it is EASY to verify. It shows how little regard they have for their audience. Or is it that their audience are lemmings who will blindly follow and regurgitate anything they spew out. Donald Sterling Is a Registered Republican!

This is the rightwing media lying to try to set the talking points before, just like when the tea party nation founder tried to call gabby giffords shooter "a liberal lunatic" when in fact he too is a registered republican.

STERLING, DONALD T MR 808 N BEVERLY DR BEVERLY HILLS, CA 90210 Phone:
310-276-6000 Birthdate: 04/26/1934 Party: REPUBLICAN
Reg. Date: 10/04/1974 File: Los Angeles County Voter
Registration - General 2010 County: LOS ANGELES Birthplace:
IL [Illinois] Precinct: 0900003B Affidavit: 15372618
Districts Congress: 42 Voting Record: Presidential General
2008 Direct Primary 2008 Statewide Special 2005 Presidential
General 2004 Gubernatorial General 2002

Donald Sterling is a Republican, not a Democrat -- but does it matter?

The Donald Sterling controversy had much of the right wing vibrating this weekend with the revelation that the purported arch-racist Sterling was (gasp!) a Democrat. This shed little light on the Sterling affair, other than to underscore the ancient truism that some public scandals are so explosive that for at least a period of time one can write or say anything one wishes about them without fear of contradiction.

Cue, for example, the National Review, whose headline read: "Racist Clippers Owner Donald Sterling Has Only Contributed to Democrats."
Nice try, National Review. Here's the truth: Sterling is a registered Republican and has been at least since 1998. As I divulged via Twitter on Sunday night, that information comes from the official database of California voter registrations. A readout of Sterling's registration record is here, collated to the Clipper owner's official residence in Beverly Hills and his documented birth date, April 26, 1934. (Yes, he turned 80 on Saturday.)

After I tweeted this fact on Sunday, scads of conservatives tweeted their doubts, pointing out that the voter database is not public, so why should they believe it? Actually, the registration database is public --you just have to know a lot about the subject to obtain his or her party registration.
So doubters are welcome to check the official Los Angeles county registrar's website, here. Plug in Sterling's name, house number (808), zip code (90210) and birth date from our readout (or track them down yourself) and have fun.
The notion that Sterling was a Democrat derives, it seems, from two factoids. One is that he's donated to Democratic candidates in the past, as National Review observed. The problem there is that this happened well in the past, and covers exactly three candidates -- Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont, former California Gov. Gray Davis and former U.S. Sen. Bill Bradley of New Jersey, the latter a former basketball star.
The most recent of these was a $5,000 donation to Davis in 2002. Prior to that you have to go back to the early 1990s and late 1980s, when Sterling's total contributions were $6,000. The man is worth $1.9 billion -- as Michael Tomasky of the Daily Beast observes, $11,000 in contributions hardly makes him a "Sheldon Adelson of the left."
The other factor in Sterling's supposed elevation to the ranks of "liberal leftist Democrat of the first order" (the words belong to right-wing blogger Donald Douglas) was his scheduled lifetime achievement award from the Los Angeles NAACP. This award has, of course, now been withdrawn. But in any case, it's not a certification of Sterling's liberalism as much as an example of a charitable organization's feeding a rich man's vanity in the hope he'll give it some money.
The real issue is why any of this should matter. The history of accusations of racial bias by Sterling's part is a long one, encompassing a lawsuit from former Clippers General Manager Elgin Baylor and a Justice Dept. lawsuit in 2009 alleging a pattern of discrimination by Sterling and his wife, Rochelle, in apartments they owned around the Southland. The couple settled that case for a then-record $2.7 million.
Whether Sterling was a registered Democrat then or ever wouldn't make his alleged behavior any less detestable. Nor do the current accusations against him say anything about the Republican Party; the test for the GOP and the Democrats, too, is how their elected officials respond to the presence of racism in our public life. Do they stand fast against it? Or do they waste their time pointing fingers at each other, as though to prove that the other side is whiter than white?

badger
5/1/2014, 01:13 PM
Someone big wants to buy the team, and at a bargain price.

I thought about that, but the fact of the matter is that everyone wants to buy into pro sports these days, they just need to have a team go up for sale. The NBA has probably dreamed of the day they could part ways with Sterling without a messy lawsuit, but Sterling wasn't going to dump his highly profitable NBA team just to appease others without a legal fight.

So, I don't buy that conspiracy theory. There's tons of available suitors, the NBA just has to pick whose money they want to take at this point.

5/1/2014, 01:38 PM
I thought about that, but the fact of the matter is that everyone wants to buy into pro sports these days, they just need to have a team go up for sale. The NBA has probably dreamed of the day they could part ways with Sterling without a messy lawsuit, but Sterling wasn't going to dump his highly profitable NBA team just to appease others without a legal fight.

So, I don't buy that conspiracy theory. There's tons of available suitors, the NBA just has to pick whose money they want to take at this point.The Clippers have become a lot more popular and successful, while the Lakers have dropped down some. Sterling has been known for making racist statements for a long time, and went largely unchastised. The recording was made in Sept, before the season even started. IOW, to pooh pooh a possibility of the ulterior motive of cheaply purchasing the team might be at least naive.

hawaii 5-0
5/1/2014, 03:16 PM

Foot.....meet mouth. See Post #54.

Lots of the 1 per centers butter both sides of their bread and give to both partys.

5-0

badger
5/1/2014, 03:45 PM
IOW, to pooh pooh an possibility of the ulterior motive of cheaply purchasing the team might not be altogether wise.

Here's what I see happening... and I admit I just read this on Grantland and it makes total sense so I'm repeating it:

1- Owners force Sterling out, so the NBA takes ownership of the Clippers.
2- NBA owners sell Clippers for more than billion dollars.

LA is not Milwaukee, this team is not getting sold for a "mere" $550 million (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24529212/report-bucks-sold-to-hedge-fund-partners-for-record-550-million). Billion bucks, minimum. $1.5 to $1.75 billion was what Grantland said (http://grantland.com/features/sterlings-fold/). All of the public interest being expressed in ownership, even part ownership, by celebrities is just driving up the price.

The only ones that are cheaply buying this team are the other NBA owners after they force Sterling out... but outsiders wanting in are going to have to pony up at least a billion

5/1/2014, 03:48 PM
I'll go out on a limb and guess Sterling is going to do his best to keep it from selling cheap, to any entity.

badger
5/1/2014, 03:51 PM
I'll go out on a limb and guess Sterling is going to do his best to keep it from selling cheap, to any entity.

As the mommy of a toddler, I know when to anticipate a tantrum (but have not mastered preventing tantrums before they start sadly) and I can see the bawling approaching boiling point :)

Sterling will probably get whatever the Clips sell for, but they undoubtedly are getting sold. Even the most litigious slumlord isn't getting out of being forced out.

BoulderSooner79
5/1/2014, 07:06 PM

No doubt and I suspect he will succeed. I can't imagine the NBA buying him out at some random price and then reselling for a profit. The court would probably decide in his favor on the resulting (and costly) lawsuit. I also don't think any of this would have an impact on the market value of the team. If the owners succeed, it will just mean a team is available for sale which is not the usual situation.

8timechamps
5/1/2014, 07:34 PM
I'm surprised how many people don't see this.

This was about self preservation. The business model of the NBA relies on having most of the best players in the world. Offending the majority of the best players (not to mention many of the fans) is not a good business decision. The NBA distancing itself from Sterling is a good business decision.

If you try to bring in questions about public pressure or political correctness you are not seeing the real story. This is a story about a business decision.

Exactly.

That's why I said Silver made the only choice he had. He's not going to be a "great" commissioner because of this, ANYONE in that position would have to make the same call.

8timechamps
5/1/2014, 07:36 PM
This situation impacts her ability to market herself, so I don't think she'll be viewed as a celebrity, hero, etc. She's only famous because she was the Clippers' owner's mistress, and now that he's on the verge of not owning the Clippers or any pro sports team ever again, she'll just be the a mistress of a billionaire, and those a dime a dozen.

Nope. She's been on more TMZ style shows in the past three days than anyone else. THIS is making her market. She was apparently a swimsuit model prior to this, but now she is being followed by paparazzi and has body guards. I just hope this lasts 15 minutes and not 15 years. Although, this is the same country that made the Kardasians famous for nothing.

BoulderSooner79
5/1/2014, 07:51 PM
Nope. She's been on more TMZ style shows in the past three days than anyone else. THIS is making her market. She was apparently a swimsuit model prior to this, but now she is being followed by paparazzi and has body guards. I just hope this lasts 15 minutes and not 15 years. Although, this is the same country that made the Kardasians famous for nothing.

Sad but true. Expect a new "reality" show soon: Billionaire Golddiggers!

Eielson
5/1/2014, 11:41 PM
While Dictator Silver is at it, he should move this team to Seattle to make up for Stern/Bennett's theft. Let's start a conspiracy theory. Sterling is dying of an unfortunate disease so he's just playing up his reputation to help out his good buddy/Gringotts Goblin Adam Silver

Wishboned
5/2/2014, 02:19 AM
While Dictator Silver is at it, he should move this team to Seattle to make up for Stern/Bennett's theft. Let's start a conspiracy theory. Sterling is dying of an unfortunate disease so he's just playing up his reputation to help out his good buddy/Gringotts Goblin Adam Silver

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/sources-donald-sterling-cancer/story?id=23556541

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling is battling cancer, sources have confirmed to ESPN.com.

The news was first reported by the New York Post.

The Post, citing sources, reported that the 80-year-old Sterling has been battling prostate cancer for an extended period of time.

Sterling was banned for life from the NBA and fined $2.5 million by commissioner Adam Silver earlier in the week after racist remarks he made were published by TMZ.

Silver has urged the league's owners to force a sale of the Clippers, which they can do with approval from three-fourths of the league's 30 owners.

Blake Griffin, speaking after the Clippers' 100-99, Game 6 loss to the Golden State Warriors on Thursday night, said he was unaware of Sterling's cancer.

"If that is true, my thoughts and prayers are with him," Griffin said. "Nobody deserves to go through something like that."

Chris Paul, who also said he hadn't heard about the cancer, called it "truly unfortunate," while coach Doc Rivers said he didn't know about it and that he hoped it wasn't true.

The league's advisory/finance committee held its first meeting about Sterling on Thursday. The 10-member committee said in a statement that it "unanimously agreed to move forward as expeditiously as possible" on the process of terminating Sterling's ownership and planned to reconvene next week.

Eielson
5/2/2014, 11:23 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/sources-donald-sterling-cancer/story?id=23556541

Just saw that and came on here to say holy ****.

badger
5/2/2014, 11:30 AM
Yeah, Joe Paterno's family revealed he had cancer after the regents ousted him at Penn State too, but it didn't reverse the decision, nor bring back his legacy as a good guy that was a shining example of morals in the midst of the evil Barry Switzers of the coaching world :mad:

Once again, read Grantland's Sterling thing. (http://grantland.com/features/sterlings-fold/) Cancer or not, guy was a sleazy slumlord.

FaninAma
5/2/2014, 12:05 PM
If the Clips can keep this team together a coupla years I think they can bring home the championship.

I'd still like to see them get better backups at center and power forward.

5-0

Chris Paul is too fragile. He has been hurt a lot this season and he is hurt right now and this issue will only get worse as he gets older.

badger
5/2/2014, 01:19 PM
Chris Paul is too fragile. He has been hurt a lot this season and he is hurt right now and this issue will only get worse as he gets older.

It'll be too bad because from the time he started his pro career as an Oklahoma City *wink wink* Hornet till now, he's been probably one of the most likeable guys in the league next to OU's own Blake Griffin.

There's a lot to hate about the NBA --- a long regular season, losing record teams making the postseason, crazy billionaire owners, endless play stopage due to free throws, whistle-happy refs... but in the midst of all that, nice guys like Blake and Chris are reasons to still like the NBA a little bit

Eielson
5/2/2014, 09:03 PM
It sure would be nice for Blake and CP3 to get a ring. Then somebody with OKC ties could finally say that.

hawaii 5-0
5/3/2014, 11:07 AM
Will Chris Paul still be the starting All Pro 2 years from now?

Maybe not starting but he'll still be an All Pro and a major contributor to his team's success.

Of course, with what's happening a lot can change personnel wise between now and then.

5-0

8timechamps
5/4/2014, 08:03 PM
Paul is a very talented player, but I agree with Fanin, he's a little too fragile. Some guys are just like that, it's too bad because Chris Paul is an excellent human being.

hawaii 5-0
5/6/2014, 12:23 AM
He was on fire for Game one. Hit his 1st eight 3 pointers.

But he's fragile.

Hell, he's like an onfield offensive coordinator, just like Chris Wanky. :peaceful:

5-0

badger
5/6/2014, 08:30 AM
You know what the OKC Thunder could really use right now?

No, not better shooting, better defense or just better everything that involves scoring more points than the opposing team.

They need Donald Sterling.

They need a lawsuit filed. They need another audio tape of him being a crazy old coot to surface. They need TMZ to post unflattering and awkward photos of him fulfilling every negative view America has of him right now.

They need to throw a billionaire's tantrum with the highest profile army of litigators that LA has. He needs to come out publicly and say that he's not giving up the Clippers without a fight.

He needs to say awful didn't-intend-for-it-sound-so-bad things like "I still own these players."

Please Donald Sterling, come through in the clutch ;)

or don't. i'd be fine with blake griffin being through with the bozo

Eielson
5/8/2014, 03:24 PM
Paul is a very talented player, but I agree with Fanin, he's a little too fragile. Some guys are just like that, it's too bad because Chris Paul is an excellent human being.

He's definitely fragile, and oddly enough, that describes just about every elite PG in the NBA not named Tony Parker...and even he almost lost his eye. Russ, Steph, and CP3 are all fragile, and along with Parker, that's my top 4. Wall, Irving, Lillard and Bledsoe appear to be the next wave of superstars, so we'll see how well they fare, but I have my doubts that they'll shed the fragile PG trend. While I wouldn't label any of them as fragile yet, all but Lillard have missed considerable time to injury already, and they're just getting started. Guys like Kobe, Durant, Lebron, and Carmelo have proven to be very durable. My guess is that they're able to "take plays off" at the non-PG position, so it's less demanding physically. At PG, you'll touch the ball or guard the guy with the ball on every possession. Just my hypothesis.

badger
5/8/2014, 03:55 PM
So I'm guessing you've all heard by now that Donald isn't the only Sterling that intends to kick and scream as the NBA claws away Clippers ownership?

Linky dinky (http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10900069/shelly-sterling-intends-keep-los-angeles-clippers-family)

Also, the other woman in this mess is apparently accused of extortion among other things. (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/v-stiviano-probed-sterling-extortion-plot-report-article-1.1782180)

In other words, OKC really needs to win this series. There's enough Clippers headlines without basketball getting in the way :P

8timechamps
5/8/2014, 06:45 PM
He's definitely fragile, and oddly enough, that describes just about every elite PG in the NBA not named Tony Parker...and even he almost lost his eye. Russ, Steph, and CP3 are all fragile, and along with Parker, that's my top 4. Wall, Irving, Lillard and Bledsoe appear to be the next wave of superstars, so we'll see how well they fare, but I have my doubts that they'll shed the fragile PG trend. While I wouldn't label any of them as fragile yet, all but Lillard have missed considerable time to injury already, and they're just getting started. Guys like Kobe, Durant, Lebron, and Carmelo have proven to be very durable. My guess is that they're able to "take plays off" at the non-PG position, so it's less demanding physically. At PG, you'll touch the ball or guard the guy with the ball on every possession. Just my hypothesis.

You're probably right, it's just the way the game is played now.

By the way, you lose points for NOT including Ty Lawson as a "next wave" PG. I know he plays for the horrible Nuggets, but he's about all we have.

badger
5/13/2014, 09:12 AM
Donald Sterling did himself no favors. (http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/12/us/donald-sterling-interview/)

"That's one problem I have. Jews, when they get successful, they will help their people, and some of the African-Americans -- maybe I'll get in trouble again -- they don't want to help anybody,"

He also went on and on about Magic Johnson's AIDS/HIV/whatever.

I think we all know at least one "Donald Sterling" --- an older person that has no filter and will absolutely never stop talking unfiltered. You cannot reason with them, you cannot argue with them, you cannot change their minds, they're old and they're unfiltered and you look past what you're saying out of love or pity

OU68
5/13/2014, 11:42 AM
Guess I'm an old unfiltered kid of guy. Yeah, Sterling is a racist POS - but - he said "MJ had sex in every city he played in and wound up with AIDS - is he what we want as a model for young black kids?" - highly paraphrased. I can't disagree with that.

badger
5/13/2014, 12:06 PM
There is definite value to the old unfiltered mouths that won't cease and desist. Magic is now going to have to talk about (and defend) his youthful actions that led to HIV decades ago and hopefully, will say the right things for people that look up to him. He will also likely speak about the importance for community service and giving for all people, not just blacks, after Sterling ranted about that.

Sterling is going to go away from the NBA soon, but the impact of this likely will stick around longer.

5/13/2014, 01:55 PM
It sure would be nice for Blake and CP3 to get a ring. Then somebody with OKC ties could finally say that.Full agreement. That would be swell.:positive:

8timechamps
5/13/2014, 03:52 PM
There is definite value to the old unfiltered mouths that won't cease and desist. Magic is now going to have to talk about (and defend) his youthful actions that led to HIV decades ago and hopefully, will say the right things for people that look up to him. He will also likely speak about the importance for community service and giving for all people, not just blacks, after Sterling ranted about that.

Sterling is going to go away from the NBA soon, but the impact of this likely will stick around longer.

Nah, I don't think Magic will say anything. He already went through that whole ordeal, no need to do it again.

As for what Sterling said about him, he's right that Magic wasn't a good role model in his youth. He's couldn't be more wrong about what Magic has done for his community. Sterling doesn't like Magic because he is a business rival (in the same town), and that has become personal for Sterling. He's never going to say anything nice about the guy. Ever.

EDIT: I'll be damned, you're right badj. I just went to ESPN and apparently Johnson did an interview with Anderson Cooper, and he is talking about what he did for his community. I'm still not sure he'll go into a big defense of his HIV, but who knows.

badger
5/13/2014, 04:08 PM
I'm not smarter or have more foresight than you 8time, I just knew that Magic already had a planned interview with Anderson Cooper. It was just a matter of what would be discussed, and now that Magic's AIDS/HIV/etc and role model/black community leadership/etc has been called into question... you know the rest. It apparently will air tonight in what will likely be the only time CNN can draw viewership :P

Magic has definitely had an impact on different communities. For starters, he's one of the few ex-star athletes to actually have a sizable business empire, rather than succumb to all the freeloaders, moochers and sleazy con men that usually wrap dumb jocks and their millions up in dumb business ventures that earn nothing but cost everything.

But yes, he was a man whorn and cheated on his wife and he's paid for it with his health, which likely shortened his pro career.

badger
5/16/2014, 08:45 AM
Let the billionaire's tantrum commence! (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140515/donald-sterling-nba-la-clippers-adam-silver/)

SI.com has learned that Clippers owner Donald Sterling has hired prominent antitrust litigator Maxwell Blecher, who has written a letter to NBA executive vice president and general counsel Rick Buchanan threatening to sue the NBA. The letter, sources tell SI.com, claims that Sterling has done nothing wrong and that "no punishment is warranted" for Sterling. Blecher also tells Buchanan that Sterling will not pay the $2.5 million fine, which is already past due. Blecher ends the letter by saying this controversy "will be adjudicated."

Do we still have the popcorn icon? This show is more fun to watch than whistle happy refs officiating a contest of who gets more free throws
:pop:

Wishboned
5/16/2014, 09:01 AM
Let the billionaire's tantrum commence! (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20140515/donald-sterling-nba-la-clippers-adam-silver/)

Do we still have the popcorn icon? This show is more fun to watch than whistle happy refs officiating a contest of who gets more free throws

I'm thinking there's a good chance Sterling will drag this out long enough that he'll die still owning the Clippers.

BoulderSooner79
5/16/2014, 12:24 PM
I'm thinking there's a good chance Sterling will drag this out long enough that he'll die still owning the Clippers.

I suspect you're correct. When I saw some "expert" proclaim that the owners' contract was pretty simple and clear-cut that the other owners could vote him out, I just laughed. I've never seen a simple contract when a large portion of a billion dollars is on the line. There are big lawyer fees in that amount that would allow an attorney to dispute the meaning of the word "the".

This also sheds another light on that bold proclamation by the commissioner. A cynic might think it was purely intended to placate the players long enough to get through this year's playoffs w/o more talks of boycotts. Fortunately, I'm not a cynic. :peaceful:

badger
5/16/2014, 12:32 PM
Donald, of sound mind or not, is probably going to try to die with the team to avoid the giant capital gains tax he would be liable for if he sold it now instead of passing it on to his heirs.

I've heard $300 million tax bill if he has to sell. Considering the LA franchise is probably worth about a billion now (before Blake, Chris, Doc and the gang jump ship due to this sh!tty situation) that sounds about right (he bought them for less than $20 million if I recall correctly).

For $300 million, you lawyer up, you continue saying dumb things publicly to make the judge thing you're incompetent and won't hold testimony against you, you whine and stamp your feet at your fellow billionaires, you have lots of fun because the rest of us will never be in that position and it's fun to watch. Who knows? Maybe there will be some good social things that change due to this. Maybe rappers will stop using the n-word so freely. Maybe rich celebrities will want to donate money for charitable reasons and not just to have a "get out of TMZ public shaming free" card. Maybe everyone will learn that everything they're doing is not anonymous, private and off-limits to scrutiny and try to become better people all the time, not just in public.

badger
5/21/2014, 08:51 AM
Ready for another wrinkle?

Donald Sterling asking V. Stiviano to lie... reportedly. (http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/20/us/donald-sterling-nba/)

As the article notes, the-other-Donald did himself a big disservice by appearing on Anderson Cooper. What was once a private tape became a public conversation that was also offensive and racist. What might have been an illegally taped conversation was instead a very public, video taped interview on CNN. Whoops.

PS: On a more important note, **** the Cleveland Cavaliers and their lucky lottery streak, I call shenanigans. The NBA needs to make a rule that no team wins the lottery two years in a row EVER.

TheHumanAlphabet
5/21/2014, 11:00 AM
NBA has thrown the first punch releasing a report that states Sterling destroyed evidence...Let the legal fisticuffs begin... I love it!! I also dislike any pro sports league...