PDA

View Full Version : What would be your preferred announcer duo for an OU game?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/28/2014, 11:49 AM
For me it would be Sean Grande (PBP) and Chris Simms (Color).

There are very few broadcasters where I don't roll my eyes a couple of times during the broadcast. As a matter of a fact, my standards are so low that I'm happy with not turning the sound down (especially bad PBP guys, gah). These two, on the other hand, actually added something to the broadcasts they did without being over the top.

On Color - You want to hate on Simms, but he did an excellent job last year of explaining the game for both teams warts and all without making it about him. That is something that guys like Danielson and Blackledge struggle with.

On PBP - I daresay that most on this board can still quote Grande's one liners from the one OU game he did. He even made the big 10 and pac 10 watchable. Then he got replaced by Dan Fouts. Ugh.

Bonus points for those who remember which OU game he did...

70sooner
4/28/2014, 01:24 PM
dunno, there's just something about this guy....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/sooner/DSC01655.jpg

hawaii 5-0
4/28/2014, 03:41 PM
Porky Pig announcing and Yosemite Sam giving color. Foghorn Leghorn on the sidelines

5-0

KantoSooner
4/28/2014, 03:58 PM
Spencer Tillman PBP and Barry Switzer Color. Give The King a bottle of cabernet to warm up with before the game and let him smoke butts during the game. You'd get some trenchant commentary.

Salt City Sooner
4/28/2014, 04:01 PM
For me it would be Sean Grande (PBP) and Chris Simms (Color).

There are very few broadcasters where I don't roll my eyes a couple of times during the broadcast. As a matter of a fact, my standards are so low that I'm happy with not turning the sound down (especially bad PBP guys, gah). These two, on the other hand, actually added something to the broadcasts they did without being over the top.

On Color - You want to hate on Simms, but he did an excellent job last year of explaining the game for both teams warts and all without making it about him. That is something that guys like Danielson and Blackledge struggle with.

On PBP - I daresay that most on this board can still quote Grande's one liners from the one OU game he did. He even made the big 10 and pac 10 watchable. Then he got replaced by Dan Fouts. Ugh.

Bonus points for those who remember which OU game he did...
'00 RRS w/ David Norrie.

I guess re; the original question, different strokes for different folks, because my all time favorite team was about 15-20 years or so ago when Nessler & Danielson were paired up.

jkjsooner
4/28/2014, 04:12 PM
I'd like Aikman and Buck.

That is, of course, if Aikman doesn't still outwardly show is dislike for OU.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/28/2014, 04:51 PM
'00 RRS w/ David Norrie.

I guess re; the original question, different strokes for different folks, because my all time favorite team was about 15-20 years or so ago when Nessler & Danielson were paired up.

Nessler's accuracy bugs me. He tries to anticipate the ending of the play before it gets called and constantly has to go back and reverse himself.

TahoeSOONER
4/28/2014, 08:35 PM
Keith Jackson and Switzer

rock on sooner
4/28/2014, 08:42 PM
Treps and Brooks......nuff said!

badger
4/29/2014, 08:55 AM
I want Jim Ross, the former WWE and diehard Sooner fan to call at least one Sooner game.

This is a definite possibility, as he joined Fox Sports earlier this year. (http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/jim-ross-fox-sports-wwe)

The other guy can be anybody. Since I like his story of redemption and comeback and all and was sad when his NFL career really never took off, how bout Dusty Dvoracek?

MichiganSooner
4/29/2014, 08:59 AM
Keith Jackson and Bud Wilkinson.

PrideMom
4/29/2014, 09:04 AM
I just wish the TV people did their home work better. Also, I hate it when they start talking about another game, bring on a has-been personality, etc. This is why I turn off the sound and listen to Toby and Merv!

SoonerMachine
4/29/2014, 09:37 AM
Porky Pig announcing and Yosemite Sam giving color. Foghorn Leghorn on the sidelines

5-0

I'd watch ANY game with that combo!

badger
4/29/2014, 10:47 AM
I just wish the TV people did their home work better. Also, I hate it when they start talking about another game, bring on a has-been personality, etc. This is why I turn off the sound and listen to Toby and Merv!

Some games you can't help it. I remember them showing Bevo turned away from the field in boredom one RRS year and Kirk Herbie starts talking about his Discovery card ads with "Peggy." When OU is up 55-17 or 63-21 (I don't remember if it was 2011 or 2012), there's not much game to talk about.

I was at the 77-0 game, but I imagine that the commentators were scraping the bottom of the barrel to keep people interested while Stoops was taking knees on first down

TheUnnamedSooner
4/29/2014, 01:58 PM
Erin Andrews and myself.

hawaii 5-0
4/29/2014, 08:31 PM
Erin Andrews and myself.

Winnah !!

5-0

picasso
4/29/2014, 08:54 PM
Chris Schenkel and Frank Broyles.

SoonerDomiNation
4/29/2014, 09:20 PM
Keith jackson and howard cossell in booth.. switzer and phil robertson on sidelines.

picasso
4/29/2014, 09:36 PM
How about Bob Costas and Pinkeye?

vtsooner21
4/30/2014, 06:25 AM
Anyone-And I mean anyone besides that Katherine Webb perv Brent Mussberger...

Boomer

soonerinabilene
5/10/2014, 11:43 AM
Frank Caliendo doing the voices of Morgan Freeman and Stephen A Smith.

Sooner70
5/10/2014, 10:20 PM
Ross Porter and Merv Johnson

virginiasooner
5/12/2014, 11:27 AM
+1000!!!