PDA

View Full Version : Sooners lose another....

Ruf/Nek7
4/22/2014, 07:44 PM
According to Lampkin's twitter, he has decided to re-open his recruiting and is not longer committed to OU.

So much for Sugar Bowl momentum.

CatfishSooner
4/22/2014, 07:46 PM
WTF...did he say why?

Ruf/Nek7
4/22/2014, 08:03 PM
WTF...did he say why?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bl3XRhLCYAAJ4zd.jpg

Ruf/Nek7
4/22/2014, 08:04 PM
He has been talking to an aggie player and it appears as though as soon as they offer, he will commit there.

CatfishSooner
4/22/2014, 08:12 PM
interesting... aggie = osu or atm?

picasso
4/22/2014, 09:48 PM
Another.......wait for it.......verbal.

Mmmk

Ruf/Nek7
4/23/2014, 10:55 AM
interesting... aggie = osu or atm?

atm aggie although he did receive and offer from osu an hour before decommitting.

cvsooner
4/23/2014, 11:03 AM
Recruits may be looking at current defensive line and figuring playing time prospects aren't all that great for a couple of years. Seems like nobody wants to develop any more, they all expect to be starters from day one.

PrideMom
4/23/2014, 11:14 AM
He wants to travel and be treated like he is something special. He will always be a problem in the locker room when things don't go his way. He will probably change his mind when he gets inthe university of his choice. He doesn't understand the TRADITION of a winning program that OU has. He will regret not staying when OU goes for the National Championship!

Soonerjeepman
4/23/2014, 11:46 AM
so how does Stoops handle these guys? do they still have an offer? Personally, I wouldn't take a early verbal from a big time guy as set in stone unless it was much closer. I do know the Juco my son signed with, they did ask if he commits will he take other visits...didn't say what they would do but did question him.

badger
4/23/2014, 11:57 AM
how badly do we want or need em? usually the parting is mutual of we dump them, but not mutual if the player announces that he's going to take more visits

olevetonahill
4/23/2014, 02:09 PM
Tell him to kick rocks, If he dont want to be a Sooner, do we really WANT him?

SicEmBaylor
4/23/2014, 04:05 PM
If he ends up at OU, he needs to take a remedial English grammar course. I see he studied at the ST school of random capitalization and punctuation.

8timechamps
4/23/2014, 05:01 PM
It's not A&M that he's interested in, it's Texas. He attended their Spring Game and left "interested".

Similar to Wariboko, he was an early commit, and now he wants to be able to take all of his visits without disrespecting Stoops' wishes (that recruits no longer take visits after they are committed).

THIS is why I never get too excited when any kid commits early. Unless you are 100% sure, and there is no question in your mind, don't commit.

8timechamps
4/23/2014, 05:02 PM
how badly do we want or need em? usually the parting is mutual of we dump them, but not mutual if the player announces that he's going to take more visits

You never want to see a kid decommit, but we are very deep along the D-line. We're also in on a couple of kids that are markedly better at the same position. It's not going to make or break anything.

8timechamps
4/23/2014, 05:05 PM
so how does Stoops handle these guys? do they still have an offer? Personally, I wouldn't take a early verbal from a big time guy as set in stone unless it was much closer. I do know the Juco my son signed with, they did ask if he commits will he take other visits...didn't say what they would do but did question him.

Stoops has always said that he wouldn't consider a kid "committed" if he was still taking visits. In this case, the kid wanted to take some visits, and wanted to respect Stoops "rule". I really don't have a problem with it, and he handled it the best way he could.

He does risk losing a spot though. One thing Stoops is very consistent about is he doesn't "hold" spaces. If this kid decides he wants to be at OU, and we're full at the position, he's out of luck. The only exception would be if the kid is unbelievably good (e.g. Adrian Peterson). Otherwise, the train will keep rolling.

picasso
4/23/2014, 05:11 PM
I don't get the drama. There's no early signing period.

8timechamps
4/23/2014, 05:28 PM
I don't get the drama. There's no early signing period.

It's the way things are nowadays. Social media and the recruiting services has turned these kids into pseudo-celebrities before they've even stepped foot on a college campus.

That's why I really appreciated how Steven Parker handled his recruiting. He NEVER talked to the services and wasn't even on social media. I wish every recruit was like that, but that's not this generations style.

picasso
4/23/2014, 07:20 PM
I was talking about the drama from the fans/internets.

8timechamps
4/24/2014, 08:08 PM
I was talking about the drama from the fans/internets.

Oh, well it is the internet...

hawaii 5-0
4/25/2014, 04:28 PM
I'd rather see us recruit players that really wanted to come to OU. This kid is too wishy-washy.

5-0

olevetonahill
4/25/2014, 06:28 PM
I'd rather see us recruit players that really wanted to come to OU. This kid is too wishy-washy.

5-0

Yup

Snrinhouston
4/25/2014, 09:06 PM
Couldn't care less. I feel about recruiting much like the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey coach felt about filling the roster…"Not looking for the best players, looking for the right players."

Sometimes the best players will be the right players…sometimes they wont.

picasso
4/25/2014, 09:50 PM
Couldn't care less. I feel about recruiting much like the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey coach felt about filling the roster…"Not looking for the best players, looking for the right players."

Sometimes the best players will be the right players…sometimes they wont.

Great Herb quote.

I like what he said before the finals.

"You lose this game you'll regret it for the rest of your ****ing life."
Leaves the room. Comes back, "your ****ing life!"

Ok, what were we talking about?

BoulderSooner79
4/25/2014, 11:23 PM
If the players want to take their visits, they should do it. It's a once in a lifetime dealio. And if they end up coming back and committing to OU, all you fine folks will welcome them with open arms. Admit it.

birddog
4/26/2014, 09:38 AM
Yeah I agree, boulder. It wouldn't look near as bad if the kid didn't commit first though. When you commit early then realize you're missing out on some great "vacations" it looks like that kid has soured on the program when it may not necessarily be the case.

BoulderSooner79
4/26/2014, 04:13 PM
He may have gotten all caught up in the post Sugar bowl buzz like we all did. Then that Stoops' rule about no other visits hit home. Whatever - if he ends up a Sooner, it won't bother me how he got here. I'm sure we'll fill all our slots regardless.

Ruf/Nek7
4/28/2014, 09:04 AM
So it doesn't bother any of you the least bit that an in state, top 100 prospect is shunning OU? No one here is buying in sectionalism? Just curious. I, myself, am not that concerned with it but would love to see OK guys staying in OK.

BoulderSooner79
4/28/2014, 10:39 AM
It doesn't bother me that a top 100 prospect doesn't choose to commit early. Many don't commit until very close to signing day. It will certainly bother me if OU doesn't snare the majority of top in state players when viewed statistically over time.