PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 30 for 30

8timechamps
4/16/2014, 06:00 PM
What an amazing series of documentaries!!

Every time I watch one, regardless of subject, I end up thinking it was amazing.

I am about as far away from a soccer fan as a sports fan can be, and I ended up watching last night (the episode is called Hillsborough) and loved it! It was all about the 96 deaths that occurred in Sheffield and how the initial investigation was covered-up. Outstanding if like the 30 for 30 series as much as I do!

badger
4/17/2014, 08:37 AM
I wonder how long they can milk this series... what was their 30th anniversary, three years ago? :D

Seriously though, I don't mind it. Their voiceover on their ads are kind of corny sometimes "What if I told you..." lol

8timechamps
4/17/2014, 06:45 PM
I wonder how long they can milk this series... what was their 30th anniversary, three years ago? :D

Seriously though, I don't mind it. Their voiceover on their ads are kind of corny sometimes "What if I told you..." lol

I was surprised they kept it going after the anniversary (kinda makes the title meaningless). While I love the series, I have to agree the "What if I told you..." has gotten old.

bluedogok
4/18/2014, 07:07 PM
As long as they maintain the strong stories and production they have so far it will continue to be a good watch.

hawaii 5-0
4/19/2014, 02:16 PM
I like 'em. Keep 'em comin'.

5-0

Eielson
4/20/2014, 02:12 PM
What is everybody's favorites?

8timechamps
4/20/2014, 09:10 PM

I don't think I've ever watched one I didn't end up really liking, but if I had to pick my top three:

The Best that Never was

The U

Guru of Go

The first one is a no-brainer. The second one has to do with my love of college football and indirectly the Sooners (I remember all of those UM/OU games like it was yesterday), and the last one is because of the whole Hank Gathers ordeal and OU happened to play (and beat) a couple of those Loylola teams.

hawaii 5-0
4/21/2014, 05:09 PM
I'll go along with the Marcus Dupree one. The Best That Never Was

5-0

Salt City Sooner
4/21/2014, 11:30 PM
I don't think I've ever watched one I didn't end up really liking, but if I had to pick my top three:

The Best that Never was

The U

Guru of Go

The first one is a no-brainer. The second one has to do with my love of college football and indirectly the Sooners (I remember all of those UM/OU games like it was yesterday), and the last one is because of the whole Hank Gathers ordeal and OU happened to play (and beat) a couple of those Loylola teams.
Me either, which is why I can't narrow it down to just 3. A few of my faves (other than TBTNW, that's automatic)

June 17th, 1994
The House of Steinbrenner (Yankee fan, sue me)
Pony Excess
No Mas
Elway to Marino (I'm a total draftnik)
Survive & Advance

8timechamps
4/22/2014, 06:55 PM
Me either, which is why I can't narrow it down to just 3. A few of my faves (other than TBTNW, that's automatic)

June 17th, 1994
The House of Steinbrenner (Yankee fan, sue me)
Pony Excess
No Mas
Elway to Marino (I'm a total draftnik)
Survive & Advance

I know, I'm not sure I have a "top 3" (after seeing you're list I was thinking "I forgot about...").

badger
4/23/2014, 08:27 AM
I watched most of the soccer stories last night. One was on Maradona and Argentina's magical World Cup run over England and West Germany in the 80s. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_God_goal)

The other was far more interesting if you don't really know or care much about soccer, involving the 1974 Chile World Cup qualifying team (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Union_vs_Chile_1974_FIFA_World_Cup_play-off). Basically, in the heart of the Cold War, there was a coup de tat in the Chilean government, and suddenly there was a US-backed government instead of Soviet-backed one in Chile... and guess who the Chileans have to play to qualify for the World Cup? And guess whose national stadium had been turned into a concentration camp for political prisoners?

The Argentinian one is fun if you want to see highlights of one of the greatest soccer players of all time, but I highly recommend "The Opposition" if you see a rebroadcast.

SoonerStormchaser
4/28/2014, 07:27 AM
I watched most of the soccer stories last night. One was on Maradona and Argentina's magical World Cup run over England and West Germany in the 80s. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_God_goal)

Ahem...you mean how they CHEATED their way to the World Cup?

Kings Ransom