PDA

View Full Version : For those that were there...

SoonerDomiNation
4/13/2014, 06:22 PM
Was the crowd rowdy? The feild looked awesome on dvr. I had to work so I missed the game. From what I seen mayfeild looked pretty dang good. Is he going to challenge knight in a few years when he can play?

hawaii 5-0
4/13/2014, 06:30 PM
I wasn't there, but watched it on TV.

Thoughts......

Lots of energy by both the newcomers and the vets (see Striker)

With QB Knight's propensity to get injured I wanted to see the backups perform. I was impressed with all of them.

I enjoyed the receivers catching the ball as they stopped and turned but I'd rather see them catching it in stride.

Defense on both teams looked good and ready to play. I wanted to see pressure up the middle. Saw it as well as off the ends.

I'm very hopeful for next season. I hope Flowers's knee wasn't hurt bad.

5-0

tmoore85
4/13/2014, 08:06 PM
Flowers update...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/colleges/article/Flowers-sustains-knee-injury-in-OU-s-spring-game-5398306.php

olevetonahill
4/13/2014, 11:22 PM
Was the crowd rowdy? The feild looked awesome on dvr. I had to work so I missed the game. From what I seen mayfeild looked pretty dang good. Is he going to challenge knight in a few years when he can play?

Crowd? not so Loud But decent foe only 45K er soI was Impressed with EVEY QB we have EXCEPT TK . He was throwin in the dirt , to the D , way in front, way behind.
We will see,

birddog
4/13/2014, 11:24 PM
Sup with Frank Shannon and his personal issues?

picasso
4/14/2014, 12:37 AM
Loud for a spring game? I used to go to get some rays and relax.
Not getting loud at a spring game.

SoonerMarkVA
4/14/2014, 10:14 AM
I came away wishing Mayfield was eligible this year. Not as starter, but as what would be an extremely dependable backup. Guy looked very, very solid. I can't believe as a walk-on the guy loses 2 years of eligibility. That's just effin criminal.

olevetonahill
4/14/2014, 10:35 AM
I came away wishing Mayfield was eligible this year. Not as starter, but as what would be an extremely dependable backup. Guy looked very, very solid. I can't believe as a walk-on the guy loses 2 years of eligibility. That's just effin criminal.

Mark, I think he just loses THIS year dont he? He played Last year fer TT, sit out this one an have 2 left. I think im right but hell I been wrong before.

PrideMom
4/14/2014, 10:46 AM
Largest attendance ever! It is never LOUD at the spring game, but when a good play is made, plenty of appreciation could be heard. Striker looked like Striker, you always want the defense to look better than the offense! But I agree, the QBs looked good, of course TK didn't do much, but he was playing against the first string defense, and since he wasn't allowed to run, and the receivers were dropping the passes. Sanchez looked very good.

picasso
4/14/2014, 11:05 AM
Bigger than '01? Awesome.

PrideMom
4/14/2014, 11:08 AM
Yes 43,500+and 2001 or 2003 only had 40,300. Shows you how stupid OSU is by not having a spring game. Do the math $5 or $10 admittance plus concessions, it really does make a diifference.

olevetonahill
4/14/2014, 11:09 AM
Bigger than '01? Awesome.

43,500, reported that the Largest since Bob has been here.

Eielson
4/14/2014, 11:16 AM
Yes 43,500+and 2001 or 2003 only had 40,300. Shows you how stupid OSU is by not having a spring game. Do the math $5 or $10 admittance plus concessions, it really does make a diifference.

We could afford to give each kid a couple thousand dollars so that they don't have to go to bed hungry.

badger
4/14/2014, 11:18 AM
Fun fact: More people attended OU's spring game than each of OSU's first two regular season games last year against Mississippi State and UTSA.*

*Of course, those games were not in Stillwater**

**Of course, the 2014 OSU spring football game reportedly only drew 2500.

olevetonahill
4/14/2014, 11:22 AM
Yes 43,500+and 2001 or 2003 only had 40,300. Shows you how stupid OSU is by not having a spring game. Do the math $5 or $10 admittance
plus concessions, it really does make a diifference.

The Price of those concessions gripes me. Took my Grandsons, gave em 40 bucks they got 3 waters a couple soft drinks and 2 frozen lemon deals, I got back a nickle and some small change.

Plus Every one was pretty much Searched at the gate. wimens prses were looked into Men had to take their hats off so they could make sure ya wernt smugglin in any water. Ya had to toss away water you were carrying Just so you would Buy water in side for 3.50 a bottle.

SoonerDomiNation
4/14/2014, 11:27 AM
The Price of those concessions gripes me. Took my Grandsons, gave em 40 bucks they got 3 waters a couple soft drinks and 2 frozen lemon deals, I got back a nickle and some small change.

Plus Every one was pretty much Searched at the gate. wimens prses were looked into Men had to take their hats off so they could make sure ya wernt smugglin in any water. Ya had to toss away water you were carrying Just so you would Buy water in side for 3.50 a bottle. Yup they are a lil crazy with their pricing. I'm still ticked I didn't get any ovj..... dam job.

olevetonahill
4/14/2014, 11:28 AM
Yup they are a lil crazy with their pricing. I'm still ticked I didn't get any ovj..... dam job.

Met 3 folks there that wanted a Taste. Oh well.

SoonerDomiNation
4/14/2014, 11:42 AM
Met 3 folks there that wanted a Taste. Oh well. LOL

F

birddog
4/14/2014, 11:56 AM
I think I saw ovj last night on Alfred Hitchcock presents...this guy was absolutely loaded off two shooters. Looked like a good time was had. Then he died.

Soonerjeepman
4/14/2014, 12:05 PM
I definitely thought Mayfield looked good...but was he going against 2's? 3's? mix. TK didn't look good...even his throws were all behind...but then again it's spring ball. With 18 starters out...who knows.

SoonerKnight
4/14/2014, 02:51 PM
I definitely thought Mayfield looked good...but was he going against 2's? 3's? mix. TK didn't look good...even his throws were all behind...but then again it's spring ball. With 18 starters out...who knows.

It looked like he was hurried. The was getting to him.

SoonerMarkVA
4/14/2014, 02:54 PM
Mark, I think he just loses THIS year dont he? He played Last year fer TT, sit out this one an have 2 left. I think im right but hell I been wrong before.

Last I heard, he loses one for the transfer (NCAA) and one to the XII because Tech are pricks. So, he can use one of those as redshirt, and that gives him 2 years of eligibility.

Even losing ONE year is ridiculous. The guy was a walk-on!

olevetonahill
4/14/2014, 03:38 PM
Last I heard, he loses one for the transfer (NCAA) and one to the XII because Tech are pricks. So, he can use one of those as redshirt, and that gives him 2 years of eligibility.

Even losing ONE year is ridiculous. The guy was a walk-on!

Agreed he shouldnt Lose any, But Im still confused, He played last year and If he sits this year he will be eligible to play next and then the following so hes only losing THIS year.

SoonerMarkVA
4/14/2014, 03:59 PM
Agreed he shouldnt Lose any, But Im still confused, He played last year and If he sits this year he will be eligible to play next and then the following so hes only losing THIS year.

Well, based on the little bit of reporting I'm seeing on it, you're right. He's eligible for 2015. So that's HUGE, IMO. Heck, I thought he had to give up 2014 to the NCAA and 2015 to XII. Sucks he can't redshirt, but it still gives him 2 years. I'm pretty sure Dave Lampam in the pre-game said the same thing (sitting out the next 2 years).

olevetonahill
4/14/2014, 04:07 PM
Well, based on the little bit of reporting I'm seeing on it, you're right. He's eligible for 2015. So that's HUGE, IMO. Heck, I thought he had to give up 2014 to the NCAA and 2015 to XII. Sucks he can't redshirt, but it still gives him 2 years. I'm pretty sure Dave Lampam in the pre-game said the same thing (sitting out the next 2 years).

Did ya consider the Source LOL?
I think what he appeald was the sittin out even the 1 year since he was a walkon

stoops the eternal pimp
4/14/2014, 04:35 PM
I don't think the guy ever sees the field unless on senior day we are up 300-0

Eielson
4/14/2014, 05:16 PM

Haven't watched him much, but you seem very critical of him. Does he have a bad arm?

8timechamps
4/14/2014, 07:24 PM
Knight didn't look particularly great, but I have no worries based on what, 15 passes in a spring game?! To echo what has been said earlier, missing so many starters on the offensive side of the ball is also a contributor. I don't expect Knight to play like he did in the Sugar Bowl in every game this year, but I expect him to be more consistent and since he has shown what he can do, I'm sure we'll see a a leader and solid QB.

I also think the defense had a lot to do with how Knight looked. This defense is going to be special. I'm not sure I've ever seen a player off the edge, like Striker, at the college level. Also, I think we're going to be in really good shape in the secondary. Sanchez is going to be great, and whether it's Taylor or Austin at the other corner (I think Cortez Johnson is going to see less time this year), we'll be solid. We almost have an embarrassment of riches at safety and along the d-line. It's certainly going to be fun to watch.

SoonerDomiNation
4/14/2014, 08:42 PM
Knight didn't look particularly great, but I have no worries based on what, 15 passes in a spring game?! To echo what has been said earlier, missing so many starters on the offensive side of the ball is also a contributor. I don't expect Knight to play like he did in the Sugar Bowl in every game this year, but I expect him to be more consistent and since he has shown what he can do, I'm sure we'll see a a leader and solid QB.

I also think the defense had a lot to do with how Knight looked. This defense is going to be special. I'm not sure I've ever seen a player off the edge, like Striker, at the college level. Also, I think we're going to be in really good shape in the secondary. Sanchez is going to be great, and whether it's Taylor or Austin at the other corner (I think Cortez Johnson is going to see less time this year), we'll be solid. We almost have an embarrassment of riches at safety and along the d-line. It's certainly going to be fun to watch.
I agree about striker the dude is super special......he needs a nickname like the scud missle. lol

BoulderSooner79
4/14/2014, 10:42 PM

olevetonahill
4/14/2014, 10:47 PM

link no werky

BoulderSooner79
4/15/2014, 12:32 AM
link no werky

I know how these dang computers work down to the transistor level, but I'm terrible at using applications. Probably because I'm sick of programming all day and just want to ride my bike when I go home. It was just the standard dumb and dumber "so you're telling me there's a chance" pic.

olevetonahill
4/15/2014, 01:34 AM
I know how these dang computers work down to the transistor level, but I'm terrible at using applications. Probably because I'm sick of programming all day and just want to ride my bike when I go home. It was just the standard dumb and dumber "so you're telling me there's a chance" pic.

Heh

jkjsooner
4/15/2014, 08:33 AM
We could afford to give each kid a couple thousand dollars so that they don't have to go to bed hungry.

No player is forced to go to bed hungry. That is just B.S.

And, yes, we could afford to give each kid a couple of thousand dollars. The majority of the mid majors can't. While we're in the same division we all have to play by the same rules. If you really want a small stipend for players then push hard for a split in FBS. That's the only way it's going to happen.

jkjsooner
4/15/2014, 08:41 AM

Don't you hate it when people assume that you know all about how to use a particular software program, get rid of their computer virus, tether a phone or whatever just because you have an EE/CS background? When someone asks me to do these things I look it up on YouTube just like everyone else. :-)

Anyway, no more off-topic posts from me. Back to football...

stoops the eternal pimp
4/15/2014, 09:21 AM
Haven't watched him much, but you seem very critical of him. Does he have a bad arm?

I watched him a lot last year.. And he was monster against SMU and Stephen F Austin...But every game afterwards was very mediocre.. I don't think he fits our offense..Now if we are talking backup potential, yes..I can that somewhat. But I truly don't think he wants to start.

people keep telling me was big 12 offensive freshman of the year and that is a big deal..name off the people in the running for that.. The guy had 5TDs/9INTs after those first 2 games..In an offense like what TT runs, that is horrible.

BoulderSooner79
4/15/2014, 10:01 AM
I watched him a lot last year.. And he was monster against SMU and Stephen F Austin...But every game afterwards was very mediocre.. I don't think he fits our offense..Now if we are talking backup potential, yes..I can that somewhat. But I truly don't think he wants to start.

people keep telling me was big 12 offensive freshman of the year and that is a big deal..name off the people in the running for that.. The guy had 5TDs/9INTs after those first 2 games..In an offense like what TT runs, that is horrible.

I was very surprise Mayfield got so many snaps. I'm guessing he is considered important for running the scout team this coming season. It may also show how much weight the coaches put into the spring game vs. how much the fans try to read into it.

badger
4/15/2014, 10:03 AM

I understand wanting to keep a place with tens of thousands of people safe, but I have yet to hear of any dangerous water bottles being used to cause other people harm... unless you are worried they'll chuck it at the field completely full? Couldn't they also do that with one they purchase inside the stadium?

If you don't mind warm awful tasting Norman water, I think they still allow you to take in empty water bottles to fill at fountains

olevetonahill
4/15/2014, 12:29 PM
I understand wanting to keep a place with tens of thousands of people safe, but I have yet to hear of any dangerous water bottles being used to cause other people harm... unless you are worried they'll chuck it at the field completely full? Couldn't they also do that with one they purchase inside the stadium?

If you don't mind warm awful tasting Norman water, I think they still allow you to take in empty water bottles to fill at fountains

I was commenting More on the fact that a Person has to throw away water just to be forced to buy more on their side of the gates. That and looking thru every womans purse and Making Men take off their Hats. . Its prolly my Last game Kinda like the TSA has gone to far in MHO I prolly Never fly again either.

HateTheWhorns
4/15/2014, 02:15 PM

Really? Which player on our roster would that be? 100% of them are in much better shape than you or I. Please post when you read or hear about the first OU player EVER going hungry.

olevetonahill
4/15/2014, 02:47 PM
Ima thinkin yer broken er sompun.

http://www.demotivationalposters.net/image/demotivational-poster/0810/sarcasm-meter-sarcasm-meter-demotivational-poster-1223486438.jpg

Eielson
4/15/2014, 03:20 PM

That's kind of how I felt about him. I just didn't know if I was missing something, because he has plenty of time to develop, and I felt it would be generous to call our QB play mediocre for most of last year. With guys like Thomas and Hansen coming in, I doubt we'll be in a position like last year anytime soon, though.

Eielson
4/15/2014, 03:23 PM
Ima thinkin yer broken er sompun.

http://www.demotivationalposters.net/image/demotivational-poster/0810/sarcasm-meter-sarcasm-meter-demotivational-poster-1223486438.jpg

This. I was mainly poking fun at Napier's comments. He was a ton of fun to watch play in the tournament, but I cringe everytime he opens his mouth. For some reason people actually believed him.

olevetonahill
4/15/2014, 03:55 PM
This. I was mainly poking fun at Napier's comments. He was a ton of fun to watch play in the tournament, but I cringe everytime he opens his mouth. For some reason people actually believed him.

I can tell sarcasm Most of the time LOL

stoops the eternal pimp
4/15/2014, 04:12 PM
I was very surprise Mayfield got so many snaps. I'm guessing he is considered important for running the scout team this coming season. It may also show how much weight the coaches put into the spring game vs. how much the fans try to read into it.

This all over..If we start naming off stars from a spring game..Trey Metoyer anyone?...

I know no one was saying he was a superstar, but I saw a bleacher report calling Mayfield "the future of OU football" and I just snapped..that along with my country friends who went to the game who come back just to say "who they discovered" at the spring game.

olevetonahill
4/15/2014, 04:21 PM
This all over..If we start naming off stars from a spring game..Trey Metoyer anyone?...

I know no one was saying he was a superstar, but I saw a bleacher report calling Mayfield "the future of OU football" and I just snapped..that along with my country friends who went to the game who come back just to say "who they discovered" at the spring game.

I never thot BM would make IT but he did look good. Not to worried about TK cause like has been said He wasnt allowed to do much an dint need to.The other Young guys were tryin to show their stuff to earn the 2 Job.

KantoSooner
4/15/2014, 04:26 PM
Eh, his game experience was evident in a certain smoothness to his execution. And he looked quite competent. Beyond that I wasn't blown away; but neither do I condemn the guy. He may never start, but that's not to say he can't contribute. Who knows? He may even earn a schollie someday.
Live and let live, peaceout, it's all good.

HateTheWhorns
4/15/2014, 05:24 PM

How many true freshman walk on QBs have u seen in your lifetime that were Big 8/12 newcomers of the year? Not saying I disagree with u but let's give the kid some time before we throw him under the bus.

olevetonahill
4/15/2014, 05:47 PM
How many true freshman walk on QBs have u seen in your lifetime that were Big 8/12 newcomers of the year? Not saying I disagree with u but let's give the kid some time before we throw him under the bus.

Just a Hunch on My ole Ignorant hillbillys part, But I'd wager a fair amount STEP knows a Heap more about Football and the Players than you and any 2 of yer friends.
jes sayin.

Wishboned
4/15/2014, 07:16 PM

He was definitely exposed.

olevetonahill
4/15/2014, 07:41 PM

I was exposed once! Got arrested!!!!!!!. Now I stay on my Hill.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/16/2014, 08:18 AM

He did not win newcomer of the year..He won offensive freshman of the year..

KantoSooner
4/16/2014, 08:37 AM
I find most freshmen to be offensive.

Eielson
4/16/2014, 10:37 PM

He had a load of talent, but he blew it.