PDA

View Full Version : Walmart stills FSU's thunder

Mazeppa
4/4/2014, 08:12 PM
http://college-football.si.com/2014/04/03/florida-state-seminoles-new-logo-walmart/

olevetonahill
4/4/2014, 08:16 PM
Whats Kenny got to do with Wally Weird OF FSU?

Mazeppa
4/4/2014, 08:30 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/2ain5hv.jpg

Therealsouthsider
4/4/2014, 09:23 PM
....pretty ghey

ss

soonergirlNeugene
4/4/2014, 11:30 PM
Why do I keep seeing a swastika every time I glance at that FSU monogram in the new logo?

birddog
4/5/2014, 01:24 AM
That's a good call , girl. The fsu=Hitler

KantoSooner
4/5/2014, 10:00 AM
Soonergirl, I don't know but I do know that some percentage of the population tend to see swastika's in any geometric pattern. Made me crazy when I was trying to decorate a new apartment with strips of cloth on a wall (I was poor, what can I say?) Everything I tried was determined by one of my friends to be some sort of undercover swastika.

Here's betting that the FSU logo is NOT emblematic of them being an underground neo-nazi group.

Not that that would surprise me, coming out of Flow-duh, but I just don't see it happening.

8timechamps
4/5/2014, 01:28 PM
Why did FSU decide to replace their mascot with the lead singer in an 80's hair metal band?

Flagstaffsooner
4/5/2014, 01:32 PM
This one is greatness...https://twitter.com/Nuked_LT/status/451663975269150720/photo/1

blacktop
4/5/2014, 04:26 PM
Who GAS what they do?

soonergirlNeugene
4/6/2014, 12:48 PM
Soonergirl, I don't know but I do know that some percentage of the population tend to see swastika's in any geometric pattern. Made me crazy when I was trying to decorate a new apartment with strips of cloth on a wall (I was poor, what can I say?) Everything I tried was determined by one of my friends to be some sort of undercover swastika.

Here's betting that the FSU logo is NOT emblematic of them being an underground neo-nazi group.

Not that that would surprise me, coming out of Flow-duh, but I just don't see it happening.

Ya I wasn't saying it was intentional, just a hilarious oversight.

Soonerwake
4/6/2014, 06:44 PM
I didn't know Adam Ant had a new gig..

picasso
4/6/2014, 09:32 PM
Why do I keep seeing a swastika every time I glance at that FSU monogram in the new logo?

Those things are actually old Native symbols as in representing the 4 directions or winds. I used to live on a ranch in Osage county and the gates to the main house had swastikas.
Hitler just stole the image and flipped it.

soonergirlNeugene
4/6/2014, 09:49 PM
Those things are actually old Native symbols as in representing the 4 directions or winds. I used to live on a ranch in Osage county and the gates to the main house had swastikas.
Hitler just stole the image and flipped it.

Interesting. You prompted me to do a bit of background reading on the subject. Apparently the symbol popped up in different places all over the world dating back to antiquity. Of course the meanings were completely different. But for those of us living in the modern age, the link between the symbol and Nazism was pretty much cemented in WW2. Ignoring this in something meant for advertising purposes is still a bit of a goof.

tycat947
4/6/2014, 10:04 PM
Poor Free Shoes University!!!

picasso
4/6/2014, 10:05 PM
Agreed. You can look up old Osage designs and they're in there.

jkjsooner
4/7/2014, 08:17 AM
Ignoring this in something meant for advertising purposes is still a bit of a goof.

This point would be relevant if the swastika was more than a figment of your imagination.

soonergirlNeugene
4/7/2014, 02:47 PM
This point would be relevant if the swastika was more than a figment of your imagination.

Hey, I know I'm not the only one who sees it!

KantoSooner
4/7/2014, 03:16 PM
It's also a symbol for a Budhist temple on maps in Asia. Kind of got me the first few times I saw it. I was like "Dayum, those Boys From Brazil are sure hiding in plain sight."

And: I think they used an old photo of Freddy Mercury without the mustache as their model. They can change their school song to Bohemian Rhapsody. And instead of cheerleaders just bring in the Village People.

picasso
4/7/2014, 09:26 PM
It's also a symbol for a Budhist temple on maps in Asia. Kind of got me the first few times I saw it. I was like "Dayum, those Boys From Brazil are sure hiding in plain sight."

And: I think they used an old photo of Freddy Mercury without the mustache as their model. They can change their school song to Bohemian Rhapsody. And instead of cheerleaders just bring in the Village People.

Heh

jkjsooner
4/9/2014, 03:47 PM
Hey, I know I'm not the only one who sees it!

Let me go back to what you said:

But for those of us living in the modern age, the link between the symbol and Nazism was pretty much cemented in WW2. Ignoring this in something meant for advertising purposes is still a bit of a goof.

I agree with this statement. I wouldn't put a Swastika on any logo either no matter what the history of it was.

The problem here is that you assumed the designers knew that you would see a Swastika in the "FSU" but chose to use it anyway. That's a mighty big assumption. The better assumption is that they couldn't imagine that someone would confuse a blocked "S" with a Swastika.

Mazeppa
4/9/2014, 09:30 PM
I keep going back to the logo and I still do not see a swastika.

8timechamps
4/9/2014, 09:44 PM
I keep going back to the logo and I still do not see a swastika.

Look at the emblem at the top of the feather (the interlocking FSU). I see it if I look at other parts of the image, and see the interlocking FSU from the corner of my eye.

I didn't notice it the first time, but I do now that it was pointed out.

Mazeppa
4/9/2014, 09:59 PM
Man my eyes may be just too old, I still don't see it.

Mazeppa
4/11/2014, 08:18 PM
FSU has new uniforms too. All this talk about tradition, but the tradition does not extend to the uniform I guess.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/florida-state-reveals-new-football-uniforms--photo-230849532.html

8timechamps
4/11/2014, 08:54 PM
FSU has new uniforms too. All this talk about tradition, but the tradition does not extend to the uniform I guess.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/florida-state-reveals-new-football-uniforms--photo-230849532.html

Really surprised they decided to make a change right after winning it all. Well, maybe not that surprised since it's all about marketing and making money nowadays.

I actually like the new uniforms for the most part. The gold helmet looks very similar to their "old" one, except they updated the spears and added a gold facemask.

My litmus test for new uniforms is if you can turn on the TV and recognize the team. If FSU stays with their traditional uni set, then I don't think the change is over-the-top. But, I'm sure they'll wear the new alternates, so they'll become unrecognizable.