PDA

View Full Version : Favorite tournament memories?

8timechamps
3/19/2014, 08:20 PM
Not necessarily when OU is involved...just any interesting memories.

My favorite OU related memory was the 1988 tournament win over Arizona (to get to the title game). Nothing specific, just remember Mookie going crazy after the win.

That was also the year Georgetown almost became the first #1 seed to go down to a #16 seed (pulled out a win over Princeton). That was when G'town was pretty dominate (or at least among the elite), and I remember the Princeton coach looking amazed at the end of the game (with his hair all over the place).

One of my all-time favorite memories (and I can't remember the year) was UCLA's Tyus Edney taking the ball full court, with only a few seconds left, to pull out a last second win over Missouri.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHceOvR464s

Salt City Sooner
3/19/2014, 11:09 PM
G-Town/Princeton was actually in '89, & they were the 2nd #1 seed to win by a point that year. The first was OU the day before, when they came back from 17 down to nip East Tennessee State by 1.

My favorite has to be '83 NC State over Houston. If you haven't watched the 30 for 30 on it (titled Survive & Advance) on ESPN, it's well worth the time.

badger
3/20/2014, 08:28 AM
It was the Big 12 tournament not the NCAA tournament, but recall hearing that we were playing miserable in the championship game's first half, so Kelvin's halftime speech was going into the locker room, throwing a chair at the chalkboard and walking out. We went on to win the championship :)

Was it the 2002 season? I know we beat KU that year for the Big 12 tourney title. That NCAA tourney was full of awesome up till Indiana. Here's a bunch of photos from that year. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ou/mensbasketball/photo-gallery-a-look-back-at-the-ou-final-four/collection_bd6309c8-ae0b-11e3-8ac7-0017a43b2370.html)

Salt City Sooner
3/20/2014, 10:35 AM
Think it was '01. We were down huge (something like 17-18 points) to the 'horns in the first half, & trailed by double digits at the break before going on a big run to start the second half. I remember they held the 'horns to 3 buckets for the entire 2nd half.

birddog
3/20/2014, 12:34 PM
The Eddie Najera concussion game against mateen and msu was pretty memorable for me. It was a really low scoring game but it was in primetime and there was a lot of hype and respect shown to the Sooners that night. Prolly the worst was when I lived in England and listened on the internet as Hollis got hurt and we lost to the bird-less sycamores.

Other than the ku loss in 88 the worst was rick fox stabbing us in the heart.

Mjcpr
3/20/2014, 12:36 PM
The Eddie Najera concussion game against mateen and msu was pretty memorable for me. It was a really low scoring game but it was in primetime and there was a lot of hype and respect shown to the Sooners that night.

I was at that one in the nosebleeds. Domes are turrible venues for basketball games.

birddog
3/20/2014, 12:40 PM
Yup watching a game on such a tiny court in a massive arena makes it hard to get into the game. That was a great made for tv game.

mojorisen2014
3/20/2014, 02:57 PM
1990. Bo Kimble for Loyola Marymount shooting left handed free throws for Hank Gathers.

Temujin
3/20/2014, 03:04 PM
My most vivid memory was Mookie toward the end of the first half of the OU/KU championship game. That game was so fast-paced in the first half and after a short run and a nice jumper, Mookie backs down the court firing his "six shooters". I know we lost, but that team had so much confidence. It was fun to watch.

One of my favorite memories was 2009 against Michigan. Of course there was the "eat my shorts" dunk over Novak: Here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kca4Oej7Pz0)

But there was also one point where Griffin fought through 3 dudes to get to the basket and score, and get the foul. He pauses for a moment and then raises his guns to the camera. It was nice to see that kind of domination on the court in an OU uniform.

8timechamps
3/20/2014, 03:44 PM
G-Town/Princeton was actually in '89, & they were the 2nd #1 seed to win by a point that year. The first was OU the day before, when they came back from 17 down to nip East Tennessee State by 1.

My favorite has to be '83 NC State over Houston. If you haven't watched the 30 for 30 on it (titled Survive & Advance) on ESPN, it's well worth the time.

Yep, you're right. I always confuse those two years, because we played East Tennessee in 1989, and opened with Tennessee-Chattanooga in 1988.

The '83 title game was pretty epic.

8timechamps
3/20/2014, 03:46 PM
1990. Bo Kimble for Loyola Marymount shooting left handed free throws for Hank Gathers.

Excellent moment in sports.

We played Loyola Marymount right around that period, so I think that's why I was paying such close attention. Those Loyola Marymount/OU games was offensive clinics.

Piware
3/20/2014, 04:31 PM
Don't remember the year - early/mid 1980s, Mabee Center in Tulsa. It was Wayman Tisdale's last year of college basketball, OU won against some A&M college and the whole place erupted into ONE MORE YEAR in the post game celebration. The love for the team and, especially Wayman, was one of the most heart warming things I have ever seen in Sooner sports.

Eielson
3/20/2014, 05:42 PM
I loved Hollis. It's hard to imagine somebody doing so much for a program and not even getting drafted. The teams he was on were incredibly clutch in the postseason (Big XII and NCAA), and I really miss that. I get super nostalgic when I see pictures of Hollis, Ebi, Quannas, etc.

My favorite memories came from the 2001-2002 season. Beating a Kansas team led by Hinrich, Collison, and Gooden in the Big XII Tournament was by itself a great memory. After winning that game, the NCAA Tournament Committee still found a way to give us the 2 seed, and mentioned that they had begun filling in the bracket assuming that we would lose to Kansas. Cincinnati had been given a 1 seed that year, which was quite the slap in the face considering how bad their level of competition was. Gadzuric and Barnes confirmed our suspicions in the second round by helping UCLA pull off a rare 8 seed upset.

Meanwhile, we took care of business in the first two rounds, as did Arizona, to set up a Sweet 16 showdown. Arizona had a very good team, and many people were expecting them to knock off Oklahoma in the 2/3 matchup. Arizona had a highly regarded freshman by the name of Salim Stoudamire, who thought it would be a good idea to tell the press that he thought Price was overrated. Price quietly folded up the newspaper article and stuck it in his shoe before the game. He scored 22 points in the first half, and led the team to a 21 point beatdown of 3-seeded Arizona. At that moment, I KNEW were going to win the championship. I just KNEW it. Looking back, I don't know if we were the best team, but McGhee's foul trouble robbed us of the chance to prove it against Maryland.

Eielson
3/20/2014, 05:48 PM
My favorite non-OU memory in recent years was watching Davidson's deep NCAA run. I watched them lose a close game against UNC early in the year, and had actually taken a liking to their PG before Steph Curry. I paid attention to them all year, and when everybody was wondering "WTF is Davidson?," I already knew, and I was just about the only one who predicted their deep run as a 10 seed. Even now I get a little defensive of people talking about how much they love Steph Curry, because "I found him first!" It's silly, I know, but I'm just being honest.

mojorisen2014
3/20/2014, 07:33 PM

Excellent moment in sports.

We played Loyola Marymount right around that period, so I think that's why I was paying such close attention. Those Loyola Marymount/OU games was offensive clinics.yeah I remember Brent price having 50+ points and both teams playing zero defense and almost scoring 300 combined points

birddog
3/20/2014, 08:17 PM
I remember us trying to get a 100 in the first half against Loyola marymount. Great call on the bo Kimble.

Salt City Sooner
3/20/2014, 10:32 PM
I loved Hollis. It's hard to imagine somebody doing so much for a program and not even getting drafted. The teams he was on were incredibly clutch in the postseason (Big XII and NCAA), and I really miss that. I get super nostalgic when I see pictures of Hollis, Ebi, Quannas, etc.

My favorite memories came from the 2001-2002 season. Beating a Kansas team led by Hinrich, Collison, and Gooden in the Big XII Tournament was by itself a great memory. After winning that game, the NCAA Tournament Committee still found a way to give us the 2 seed, and mentioned that they had begun filling in the bracket assuming that we would lose to Kansas. Cincinnati had been given a 1 seed that year, which was quite the slap in the face considering how bad their level of competition was. Gadzuric and Barnes confirmed our suspicions in the second round by helping UCLA pull off a rare 8 seed upset.

Meanwhile, we took care of business in the first two rounds, as did Arizona, to set up a Sweet 16 showdown. Arizona had a very good team, and many people were expecting them to knock off Oklahoma in the 2/3 matchup. Arizona had a highly regarded freshman by the name of Salim Stoudamire, who thought it would be a good idea to tell the press that he thought Price was overrated. Price quietly folded up the newspaper article and stuck it in his shoe before the game. He scored 22 points in the first half, and led the team to a 21 point beatdown of 3-seeded Arizona. At that moment, I KNEW were going to win the championship. I just KNEW it. Looking back, I don't know if we were the best team, but McGhee's foul trouble robbed us of the chance to prove it against Maryland.
My favorite memory of that OU-'Zona game was Quannas White muscling up on Walton's kid & basically riding him off the court like yesterday's trash.

Statalyzer
3/22/2014, 01:55 AM
That was also the year Georgetown almost became the first #1 seed to go down to a #16 seed (pulled out a win over Princeton). That was when G'town was pretty dominate (or at least among the elite),

Didn't they have Mourning and Mutombo at the same time and yet never make a Final Four with that pair?

Temujin
3/22/2014, 12:32 PM
Speaking of 16 seeds that almost won, another thing that made that 1990 tourney fun to watch was when Popeye Jones and Murray State took Michigan State to OT. THAT was a fun game to watch. Popeye Jones is still one of my favorite players, just for that game.

Sooner95
3/22/2014, 05:51 PM
I have to 2nd Loyola Marymount run of 1990.

They were so much fun to watch, but that tournament run after Gathers died was something of legend. They just happened to be in the same region as UNLV that year otherwise they would made the Final 4.

The complete destruction of #3 seed Michigan was impressive.

Sooner24
4/5/2014, 12:13 PM
Favorite OU tournament games I have attended would be the Arizona Final Four game. The La Tech ot game in 1985. Both OU victories in OKC in 2003. Favorite non-OU tournament games I have attended would be the Tulsa win over OSU in 1994 followed by the Tulsa beat down of UCLA two days earlier. The Valparaiso/Ole Miss game in 1998 and the Rhode Island/Kansas game two days later. The Memphis State/Boston College game in 1985. Watching the 1994 Arkansas team play in OKC.

King Crimson
4/13/2014, 12:09 PM
My favorite memory of that OU-'Zona game was Quannas White muscling up on Walton's kid & basically riding him off the court like yesterday's trash.

that was a pretty good one. Quannas changed the whole game there...choving Luke the Wooden Candidate out of bounds...U of A was pretty soft and Kelvin's guys were hard.

that IU loss was pretty disappointing and i don't know if we had enough to beat Juan Dixon and Lonny Baxter a second time on their game....but we handled them in Norman. I was there. went with my Dad. good memory. he blew off his wife to go to the game with me...i thought that was purdy damned cool. we watched the highlights on ESPN over a beer at the Library. it was pretty awesome. not a tournament memory....i guess.

even though i am still amazingly bitter about the 88 loss to Kansas....i don't make a thing of hating KU but i do enjoy their first round losses.....Vermont and other nobodies made famous for a day.

Eielson
4/13/2014, 03:55 PM
Somehow I had forgotten about the fact that we'd already beaten Maryland earlier in the year. That just makes it so much more painful. When Duke fell to Indiana, I thought we had it in the bag.

Eielson
4/13/2014, 04:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqfq4AaUJe0

Man, I loved this team.

Spek to anybody who finds the Quannas shove for me.

King Crimson
4/13/2014, 09:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqfq4AaUJe0

Man, I loved this team.

Spek to anybody who finds the Quannas shove for me.

it's about 8:20 first half time, 17:18 youtube. off camera, announcers a bit later. Quannas picks up Walton on D and then Walton tries to move on the baseline....action is elsewhere, but Q doesn't let him back in. gives him a little extra. we get to see the replay at about 17:56 youtube time. Selvy boards for us.

King Crimson
4/13/2014, 09:17 PM
and amazingly Duke is beating IU by 15, 11 during the whole first half....Ace is a non-factor for us...