PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney OpEd in the WSJ

8timechamps
3/18/2014, 07:35 PM
Here's a link to the OpEd: Mitt Romney in the Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304747404579445170801186310?mg=ren o64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB1000 1424052702304747404579445170801186310.html)

I think he does a decent job of summing things up (regarding our current foreign policy, or lack of). There are a few things I don't agree with (i.e. That Egypt's Hosni Mubarek was our "friend"), but overall, I think it tells it like it is right now.

When Bush was nearing the end of his time in office, a lot of folks said "the world hates us". There was probably some truth to that, but I do believe the world respected us. Now, I'm not sure that's the case.

I simply think Obama is in way over his head here. The problem is that we're in this for another two and a half years.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/18/2014, 10:16 PM
He should be President...

SoonerProphet
3/19/2014, 01:16 PM
When protests in Ukraine grew and violence ensued, it was surely evident to people in the intelligence community—and to the White House—that President Putin might try to take advantage of the situation to capture Crimea, or more. That was the time to talk with our global allies about punishments and sanctions, to secure their solidarity, and to communicate these to the Russian president. These steps, plus assurances that we would not exclude Russia from its base in Sevastopol or threaten its influence in Kiev, might have dissuaded him from invasion.

The flaw in his logic is the change in government in Kiev prompted him to move on Crimea. It would not have been necessary or even desirable to move on Crimea with Yanukovich in power. Seems silly that Romney, or any other hawk, thought we could punish Russia for something they have not done yet with more "punishments" and sanctions.

I realize it has become fashionable to give Palin and Romney credit for their crystal ball like skills on Russia, it might be a serious point if it simply wasn't a repetition of hard line talking points that are woefully clueless on history and geopolitics.

Curly Bill
3/19/2014, 01:18 PM
I think we need to just keep pressing that damn RESET button!