PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Pearl hired by Auburn

badger
3/18/2014, 04:12 PM
So I guess OP.com (some of them at least) will not get their dream Ford replacement, heh.

Link (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10626778/bruce-pearl-accepts-auburn-tigers-head-basketball-coaching-job)

I can't believe someone hired him...oh wait, show-cause ends in August:

In the summer of 2008, Pearl invited high school junior Aaron Craft and members of his family to a cookout at his Knoxville home while Craft was on an unofficial visit to Tennessee. At the cookout, Pearl said that Craft wasn't allowed to be there under NCAA rules, but encouraged all those in attendance not to tell anyone about it. When the NCAA began an investigation of the affair, Pearl not only lied about the cookout, but also told Craft's father to lie as well.[9]

On September 10, 2010, Pearl acknowledged the violations in the Craft affair, and also admitted lying about it to the NCAA. As a result, Tennessee imposed sanctions on Pearl and his entire staff including $1.5 million in salary reduction over the coming five years and a delayed retention bonus. His off-campus recruiting was also restricted completely from September 4, 2010 to September 23, 2011.[10] On November 20, 2010, the SEC ordered Pearl to sit out Tennessee's first eight SEC games.[11]

After finding out about additional NCAA violations, as well as a violation of the school's substance abuse policy by a player, Tennessee fired Pearl on March 21, 2011--three days after the Vols' blowout loss to Michigan.[12][13][14] On August 23, 2011, Pearl was given a three-year show-cause penalty for lying to the NCAA, effective until August 23, 2014. This means that the sanctions imposed on Pearl will remain in force if he is hired by an NCAA member school within that period. Specifically, he is prohibited from engaging in any "recruiting activities", which means he cannot contact recruits, although he may evaluate talent during that period. If a school does choose to hire him and chooses to challenge the NCAA restrictions, it must appear before the NCAA Committee on Infractions and "show cause" for why the sanctions imposed on Pearl should not follow him to that school.[9] In imposing the penalty, the NCAA said that Pearl's lies turned what would have been a minor case into a major one.[15] His assistant coaches were also given one-year show-cause orders, in effect until August 23, 2012.

Aaron Craft was also the bozo who let the ball slip out of his hands in the Big Ten championship as he attempted a game tying shot in the closing seconds. Tee hee

8timechamps
3/18/2014, 05:11 PM
I thought Pearl was a great coach/recruiter while he was at Tennessee, but all of that was cancelled out by his stupidity. I know lying goes on everywhere to an extent, but to lie about something you don't need to lie about is just dumb.

Auburn will do anything to win. Literally. Didn't they try to hire Petrino at some point before Malzhan came back?

Eielson
3/18/2014, 05:43 PM
He's a saint compared to Calipari.