PDA

View Full Version : Malaysian Flight 370

8timechamps
3/13/2014, 10:09 PM
What the hell?

I figured I would put this here, since it could turn political (and there's more traffic here than the South Oval right now).

I really don't understand how a modern/technically advanced airplane, like the 777, can just disappear. There have been so many theories about what happened to this plane, but I can't help but think it's sitting on the bottom of the ocean somewhere, in pieces.

Yesterday, it looked like China had released some satellite imagery that showed what could be the plane. But, that turned out to be nothing. Today, apparently Rolls Royce (or Boeing) said that the engines were submitting data for "hours" after the plan disappeared from radar. Now there's speculation that the plane continued flying for hours after it's transponder stopped. I have no idea what to think.

Thoughts?

olevetonahill
3/13/2014, 10:33 PM
The Dayum Russians did it.

Curly Bill
3/13/2014, 10:38 PM
Had Flight 370 badmouthed the Obammy administration the NSA could tell you exactly where it's at!

There, did I turn it political soon enough for ya?

Soonerjeepman
3/13/2014, 11:21 PM
Bermuda Triangle...but not in Bermuda...

It is unbelievable that this has happened...even more unbelievable that the "tracking" of these planes is so archaic.

Oh and YES it is obama's fault~

dwarthog
3/14/2014, 07:35 AM
Anyone remember the incident with Payne Stewart the golfer? I'm wondering if this isn't something similar.

rock on sooner
3/14/2014, 11:21 AM
Anyone remember the incident with Payne Stewart the golfer? I'm wondering if this isn't something similar.

I had the same thoughts, except that two very important pieces of technology
in the cockpit were turned off 14 minutes apart, which, according to some talking
heads, were located in places that required physical effort to do that. Additionally,
the name of the co-pilot indicates Muslim influence and one of the stolen passports was
used by an Iranian. Vet, I don't think the dayum Ruskies did it but I think there is
a distinct possibility the aircraft was hijacked. If so, it is sitting on a desert runway
somewhere, leastwise, I hope so for the 239 souls on board...

dwarthog
3/14/2014, 11:38 AM
I had the same thoughts, except that two very important pieces of technology
in the cockpit were turned off 14 minutes apart, which, according to some talking
heads, were located in places that required physical effort to do that. Additionally,
the name of the co-pilot indicates Muslim influence and one of the stolen passports was
used by an Iranian. Vet, I don't think the dayum Ruskies did it but I think there is
a distinct possibility the aircraft was hijacked. If so, it is sitting on a desert runway
somewhere, leastwise, I hope so for the 239 souls on board...

The part where the plane just quit signaling it's location is troublesome, unless there is some element in common which could affect the oxygen delivery and the electronics associated with the location of the plane, which if true still doesn't explain the plane executing a turn unless it was the last act of a person blacking out in an attempt to alert whoever was tracking the plane of an problem or to turn it away from crashing into a populated area when the fuel ran out.

So many ways for the imagination to run wild on this one.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/14/2014, 01:15 PM
As an extremely frequent international flyer, I just have to say WTF? I mean this is not an accident or a depressurization. This is either a deliberate act (sabotage, mass kidnapping or airplane theft - James Bond movie Thunderball come to mind) or alien abduction / wormhole... Right now this makes no sense, but I wonder what an in-depth profile of the aircrew or passengers would come up with and likely they won't tell us... I have flown MH a couple of times, they are ok.

dwarthog
3/14/2014, 02:06 PM
If this is the result of a deliberate act, why the silence? The lot of folks inclined to do such things usually start taking credit for it as soon as the news outlets catch wind that something is amiss. The stage is pretty big on this one, it would be long past time for them to have said something IMO.

olevetonahill
3/14/2014, 02:14 PM
If It Twernt the Russkies then it has to be these guys!
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuiaYOUfrc3u2n0usKAc07JiWUPyTJZ WIeDT3XpJKcpGbVsj3umQ

TheHumanAlphabet
3/14/2014, 02:57 PM
If this is the result of a deliberate act, why the silence? The lot of folks inclined to do such things usually start taking credit for it as soon as the news outlets catch wind that something is amiss. The stage is pretty big on this one, it would be long past time for them to have said something IMO.
Everything points to non-accidental aspects. If you want the asset, you are not going to crow about it... If you want the asset and didn't make and crashed, you are not going to crow about it...

yermom
3/14/2014, 03:15 PM
i heard they released the identity of the pilot:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090219125927/lostpedia/images/b/b5/Sober.jpg

BoulderSooner79
3/14/2014, 03:16 PM
It is also being postulated that if this was terror, it could be part of a larger plan. In which case, the planners would not claim responsibility. Scary thought.

yermom
3/14/2014, 03:30 PM
yeah, it's odd with the "for use later" thing they were throwing around.

ouwasp
3/14/2014, 05:12 PM
I'm just glad "they" can't blame America for this (although I did read a link where an Iranian blowhard does just that.)

Where's the best place to hide an airplane? At an airport.

But what about all the folks?

Bizzare.

olevetonahill
3/14/2014, 05:21 PM
I'm just glad "they" can't blame America for this (although I did read a link where an Iranian blowhard does just that.)

Where's the best place to hide an airplane? At an airport.

But what about all the folks?

Bizzare.

Thrown in the ocean ,They Shark Poop now.

Monster Zero
3/14/2014, 06:09 PM
I'm not SAYING it was martians, but...

It was martians.

Turd_Ferguson
3/14/2014, 07:34 PM
The 777 us setting on some tarmac right now. PAX are probably dead. WOMD is being loaded on it. The transponders have been re-freq'd. The trojan horse is coming...

8timechamps
3/14/2014, 07:49 PM
The 777 us setting on some tarmac right now. PAX are probably dead. WOMD is being loaded on it. The transponders have been re-freq'd. The trojan horse is coming...

That's not as crazy as some theories I've heard...

rock on sooner
3/14/2014, 08:42 PM
That's not as crazy as some theories I've heard...

The more I scratch my head about this....hmmm...there's some
smart fellers/ladies that have thought this through and have done
some stuff to get this plane on a desert runway somewhere and, as
I type, are figuring how to use 239 folks( prolly a few less than that)
and a multi-million dollar plane to expound on some political BS that
creates a mess somewhere.....at least I hope those folks are still
alive....

olevetonahill
3/14/2014, 08:58 PM
WE can speculate till the Cows come home, But at this point with NOTHING being found. We (The Public) will never be told what happened even if they do find it.

okiewaker
3/15/2014, 08:14 AM
The movie Con Air keeps coming to mind as I watch this thing unfold, for whatever reason. Cept this plane was not filled prisoners. I keep picturing this plane has landed in the desert somewhere. We'll probly never know what really happened,,idk.

olevetonahill
3/15/2014, 08:23 AM
The movie Con Air keeps coming to mind as I watch this thing unfold, for whatever reason. Cept this plane was not filled prisoners. I keep picturing this plane has landed in the desert somewhere. We'll probly never know what really happened,,idk.

I still think the Rusky's are involved some how. If nothing else then to divert attention from what they are doing in their "Near Abroad".

Turd_Ferguson
3/15/2014, 08:38 AM
I still think the Rusky's are involved some how. If nothing else then to divert attention from what they are doing in their "Near Abroad".

I just about bet that Poot'n could give two ****s what the US or anybody else thinks about what they're doing.

olevetonahill
3/15/2014, 08:43 AM
I just about bet that Poot'n could give two ****s what the US or anybody else thinks about what they're doing.

Dint say he GAS. Just said the FSB or what ever they callin themselves this year Can and will do the Misdirection/Blame/ crap just to screw with every ones Heads.

hawaii 5-0
3/15/2014, 12:22 PM
WE can speculate till the Cows come home, But at this point with NOTHING being found. We (The Public) will never be told what happened even if they do find it.

I think they'll find it next time Mangino takes a crap.

5-0

stoopified
3/16/2014, 01:42 PM
I think they'll find it next time Mangino takes a crap.

5-0 :)

ouwasp
3/16/2014, 05:51 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/missing-malaysian-airlines-flight-mh370-3248001

Now this really does sound like something Tom Clancy would cook up...

okiewaker
3/16/2014, 06:50 PM
Latest is the plane could have been hijacked with a cell phone. Cyber jacking.

OU68
3/17/2014, 10:22 AM
The ascent to 45000 feet is concerning - may have killed all the passengers, just want the plane.

TAFBSooner
3/17/2014, 01:13 PM
Iranian defectors, Malaysian dissidents, angry Chinese family members, Malaysians losing face - the plot has more twists than the plane's flight path. Enough to keep us all in :popcorn: and deflect some attention from Ukraine & Crimea.

Otherwise we the people might decide that Crimea is Not Our Fight.

FaninAma
3/17/2014, 06:08 PM
Iranian defectors, Malaysian dissidents, angry Chinese family members, Malaysians losing face - the plot has more twists than the plane's flight path. Enough to keep us all in :popcorn: and deflect some attention from Ukraine & Crimea.

Otherwise we the people might decide that Crimea is Not Our Fight.
Worst case scenario. Refit the plane with a different transponder or use the passengers as hostages to gain entry into a target's airspace. Then detonate the nuclear bomb that was picked up in Packistan at a high altitude knocking out electronics over a several thousand square mile area.

BoulderSooner79
3/17/2014, 06:22 PM
The thing that jumps out at me is why would the transponder on/off switch be under pilot control? I guess the telemetry to satellites is always on, but that only checked position 1 time per hour. and it wasn't a precise position at that. We can better track a teenager with a cell phone than a commercial international flight.

8timechamps
3/17/2014, 10:18 PM
The thing that jumps out at me is why would the transponder on/off switch be under pilot control? I guess the telemetry to satellites is always on, but that only checked position 1 time per hour. and it wasn't a precise position at that. We can better track a teenager with a cell phone than a commercial international flight.

The transponder inputs are under pilot control because changes have to be made pre-flight, post-take off, final approach, etc. The crew needs access to the entry system. As for the actual "On/Off" switch, I can only imagine it's always been on the same instrument panel. In any event, turning your transponder off alone, would not make the plane invisable from the ground. It was one of about 4 systems that would need to be shut-down, and it's the easiest to access.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/18/2014, 10:20 AM
The ascent to 45000 feet is concerning - may have killed all the passengers, just want the plane.

This^ Easy way to get rid of the problem and the witnesses. Then as "vet says - shark bait...

BoulderSooner79
3/18/2014, 11:26 AM
The transponder inputs are under pilot control because changes have to be made pre-flight, post-take off, final approach, etc. The crew needs access to the entry system. As for the actual "On/Off" switch, I can only imagine it's always been on the same instrument panel. In any event, turning your transponder off alone, would not make the plane invisable from the ground. It was one of about 4 systems that would need to be shut-down, and it's the easiest to access.

I also saw the reason given that it is turned off while on the ground to remove clutter for the controllers. But that's a lame excuse because that could be done automatically. Everything I've heard leads me to believe flight electronics is a decade behind consumer stuff. (I'm in technology and have worked on telemetry.) I know there is a cost issue, but aircraft are refitted all the time. Over most the developed world, there should not even be a need for a black box except for after the fact confirmation using higher frequency sampling. A remote "black box" could be recorded for every flight over developed countries. For ocean and remote areas, satellite summary data could be available and include at least position and basic systems heath. And there is no "big brother" social issue with tracking a commercial flight.

8timechamps
3/18/2014, 05:02 PM
I also saw the reason given that it is turned off while on the ground to remove clutter for the controllers. But that's a lame excuse because that could be done automatically. Everything I've heard leads me to believe flight electronics is a decade behind consumer stuff. (I'm in technology and have worked on telemetry.) I know there is a cost issue, but aircraft are refitted all the time. Over most the developed world, there should not even be a need for a black box except for after the fact confirmation using higher frequency sampling. A remote "black box" could be recorded for every flight over developed countries. For ocean and remote areas, satellite summary data could be available and include at least position and basic systems heath. And there is no "big brother" social issue with tracking a commercial flight.

Surprisingly, I heard a pilot on the radio this morning saying the exact same thing. He said that people assume the flight electronics are state-of-the-art, when if fact they are (his words exactly) a "decade behind your home computer". That really surprised me.

The caller asked why the black boxes don't have a GPS locator, so that it could be easily found after a crash (or in an event such as this). That's when the pilot responded with the above.

I wonder if it's a cost issue? Obviously, the newer model planes have GPS systems for navigation, so it's available within the industry. Maybe the airlines don't want to retrofit all of their fleets with a GPS locator. I fully believe the flight systems aren't the latest/greatest, but I didn't really buy his answer for why there is no GPS on the black box.

dwarthog
3/19/2014, 04:40 PM
Wouldn't there be some issues with the ability of the blackboxes GPS to get a signal up to the satellites if it were covered by wreckage or under water?

8timechamps
3/19/2014, 04:44 PM
Wouldn't there be some issues with the ability of the blackboxes GPS to get a signal up to the satellites if it were covered by wreckage or under water?

Could be, I don't have a clue. That would have at least been a better response to the question. I just don't believe that it's because the industries technology is that far behind. (I know it's behind in general systems, but as I said above, GPS is already utilized with in-flight navigation).

SCOUT
3/20/2014, 10:43 PM
This is probably a dumb question, so please feel free to point that out, but does a GPS system communicate with the satellite at all? In other words, isn't it a different technology to triangulate where you are, and transmitting that information back to a source?

8timechamps
3/22/2014, 09:32 PM
This is probably a dumb question, so please feel free to point that out, but does a GPS system communicate with the satellite at all? In other words, isn't it a different technology to triangulate where you are, and transmitting that information back to a source?

Good question, and I'd be interested in knowing too.

I use a company that collects and discards sensitive documents from my business, and the same guy (driver) has been collecting from my office for about 3 years. He told me a year or so ago that the company uses GPS on his truck, so they always know where he is (and things like whether or not the engine is on, etc.). So, if it does require separate equipment, it can't be too cost prohibitive.

diverdog
3/22/2014, 09:54 PM
Good question, and I'd be interested in knowing too.

I use a company that collects and discards sensitive documents from my business, and the same guy (driver) has been collecting from my office for about 3 years. He told me a year or so ago that the company uses GPS on his truck, so they always know where he is (and things like whether or not the engine is on, etc.). So, if it does require separate equipment, it can't be too cost prohibitive.

It is an option you can buy.

Turd_Ferguson
3/23/2014, 11:21 PM
My company pickup is GPS'd as well. They know everything about engine diagnostics/speed/braking...Hell, I think they know when I fart. However, these GPS antennas are of course located on the exterior to be in view of satellites. I'm not sure how a GPS would communicate buried deep inside a black box where the impact survivable parts are encased in titanium.

It don't matter, I think they 46'd it to off the PAX, then went low and flew to Pakistan. The Trojan Horse is coming...

Curly Bill
3/23/2014, 11:56 PM
My company pickup is GPS'd as well. They know everything about engine diagnostics/speed/braking...Hell, I think they know when I fart. However, these GPS antennas are of course located on the exterior to be in view of satellites. I'm not sure how a GPS would communicate buried deep inside a black box where the impact survivable parts are encased in titanium.

It don't matter, I think they 46'd it to off the PAX, then went low and flew to Pakistan. The Trojan Horse is coming...

If it is I'm for em taking out Washington DC. They'd be doing us a huge freaking favor if they did!

Turd_Ferguson
3/24/2014, 12:17 AM
If it is I'm for em taking out Washington DC. They'd be doing us a huge freaking favor if they did!

DAMN!!!!!

8timechamps
3/24/2014, 10:12 PM
How'd you like to be a family member of a passenger on that flight today? "They're dead, we can't find anything."

8timechamps
3/24/2014, 10:19 PM
As a side note:

I find it amusing that for the past couple of weeks, CNN has had non-stop coverage of the missing plane. Fox, on the other hand, did occasional updates but seemed to be much more focused on national politics, other word news, etc.

Could CNN be any more biased? If they talk non-stop about the missing plane, they don't have to cover our foreign policy failures.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/25/2014, 11:26 AM
So now they are looking at a suicide mission, if so, usually you want someone punished and there is a manifesto... The Malaysians are really tight with info, so I wonder what is up. They had the info on the planes location over a week ago from the satellite company and the UK, so why be so evasive in the meantime... They could have been looking for debris earlier... Are they afraid of China? Or just didn't want to look bad?

Soonerjeepman
3/25/2014, 12:15 PM
As a side note:

I find it amusing that for the past couple of weeks, CNN has had non-stop coverage of the missing plane. Fox, on the other hand, did occasional updates but seemed to be much more focused on national politics, other word news, etc.

Could CNN be any more biased? If they talk non-stop about the missing plane, they don't have to cover our foreign policy failures.

clearly you are joking..... :suspicion: