PDA

View Full Version : Bucs Release Davin Joseph

Sooner in Tampa
3/10/2014, 11:19 AM
Absolutely sucks!!! One of the classiest guys you will every meet.

With Tampa Bay poised to enter free agency with approximately $18.8 million worth of salary cap space, the Buccaneers cleared an additional $6 million in salary cap room with the release of right guard Davin Joseph on Saturday. The Bucs now have close to $25 million worth of salary cap room to sign free agents, including Joseph's possible replacement.

Joseph, who was in the middle of a seven-year, $53-million contract, which he signed in 2011, missed the 2012 season after suffering a severe knee injury, which included a torn ACL, in the preseason that year. Joseph returned to the starting lineup last year at right guard, but struggled mightily to regain his previous form. Complicating his rehabilitation was the fact that Joseph suffered from a staph infection in his knee last May, which contributed to his slow recovery.

The 30-year old Joseph took the news in stride as he received a phone call from new head coach Lovie Smith Saturday morning with the news.

"I got the call from Lovie this morning," Joseph said. "They said they were going in a different direction and I respect their decision. My time in Tampa was a great time and I played for some really great coaches and played alongside some really good players. I had the chance to give back to my community. Tampa will always be home for me, but for my career, I'll have to go play somewhere else. If they're cleaning house, they are cleaning house. If that's the best way for them to move forward, I wish them good luck with the transition. I'm going to find somewhere else to play. It's their job to make the Buccaneers the best team they can and they don't see me as part of their plan."

Joseph said the Bucs did not approach him about taking a pay cut in order to stay in Tampa Bay.

"I never got word of it," Joseph said. "I don't know if they talked to my agent about a salary reduction. They're going to give me the opportunity to go test the free agent market as soon as I can."

Joseph played in 98 games for the Buccaneers, starting 97 after becoming the team's first-round draft pick in 2006. The 6-foot-3, 313-pound Joseph made the Pro Bowl as an alternate in 2008 and again following the 2011 season.

The poor play of the Buccaneers offensive line was one of the biggest surprises during a 4-12 season in 2013, especially considering that Tampa Bay had the highest-paid offensive line in the NFL, totaling $31.695 million There could be other players released or asked to take pay cuts, such as center Jeremy Zuttah, who is scheduled to make $4.25 million, and left tackle Donald Penn, who is in line to earn $6.75 million in 2014.

The Buccaneers currently have three guards on the roster in left guard Carl Nicks, who missed most of the last two seasons with toe injuries and also developed MRSA in 2013, Patrick Omameh and Jason Foster, who was not on the team in 2013. Zuttah has started before at left and right guard, and Ted Larsen and Jamon Meredith, who have also played guard in Tampa Bay, are unrestricted free agents and their return to the Bucs is in question as free agency begins on Tuesday, March 11.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/10/2014, 11:25 AM
Sounds incredibly level headed and business like on Davin's part. I am sure he will land well with a new team.

TB needs to check that MRSA stuff fast!

Sooner in Tampa
3/10/2014, 11:40 AM
The MRSA situation is under control...it happened in the early part of the year...It was certainly a distraction and it very well may have ended Carl Nicks career

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/10/2014, 11:56 AM
I wonder if the Rams will take a 2-3 million flier at him since they lost Saffold. At this point, they need bodies.

Sooner in Tampa
3/10/2014, 12:24 PM
I wonder if the Rams will take a 2-3 million flier at him since they lost Saffold. At this point, they need bodies.
The funny thing about that is that the Bucs are rumored to be on of two teams looking at signing Saffold (Raiders the other)

But...I think Saffold is a tackle and Joseph is a guard...

swardboy
3/10/2014, 12:49 PM
Saffold thinks he's a tackle. He performed much better at guard.

Aries
3/10/2014, 01:01 PM
The funny thing about that is that the Bucs are rumored to be on of two teams looking at signing Saffold (Raiders the other)

He can play either, the Rams used him at guard this past season so they are short one RG.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/10/2014, 01:16 PM

Supposedly, he is signing for 8 Million with the Raiders.

Sooner in Tampa
3/10/2014, 01:41 PM
Supposedly, he is signing for 8 Million with the Raiders.
Saw that...they can have him for that price...

hawaii 5-0
3/10/2014, 06:08 PM
I think some teams will wait a bit, hoping to sign him for a lot less that his contract woulda paid him if he stayed with TB.

5-0

Aries
3/12/2014, 11:10 AM
Rumor is that Davin Joseph has a visit scheduled with the Rams, but I haven't found anything yet absolutely confirming.

Sooner in Tampa
3/12/2014, 11:59 AM
The Rams are hosting OG Davin Joseph for a free agent visit.

St. Louis is getting desperate at guard after whiffing on Geoff Schwartz, losing Chris Williams to Buffalo, and seeing Rodger Saffold overpaid in Oakland. They're also in danger of losing Shelley Smith. Joseph struggled mightily in his 2013 return from a torn patellar tendon. He's entering his age-31 campaign.
Related: Rams (http://www.soonerfans.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/stl/rams)

Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter (https://twitter.com/JFowlerCBS/status/443773488034095105)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/12/2014, 04:38 PM
I know that the typical St Louis fan will scream about this, but I think that it is a great value pickup. Davin's game has always been about power and you are gambling that his lack of it last year was more the staph infection than the knee. If it was, you are grabbing a pro bowl caliber guard on the cheap. If not, you are holding serve at a position that has been a revolving door.

Eielson
3/12/2014, 04:59 PM
I know that the typical St Louis fan will scream about this, but I think that it is a great value pickup.

Most I know of are at least moderately interested in signing him if the price is right. We would have rather had Saffold back, but I'm guessing Joseph's contract would be a fraction of Saffold's monstrosity.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/12/2014, 05:40 PM
Most I know of are at least moderately interested in signing him if the price is right. We would have rather had Saffold back, but I'm guessing Joseph's contract would be a fraction of Saffold's monstrosity.

Their message board fans are some of the most negative people I've ever seen.

http://www.clanram.com/forums/f85/og-davin-joseph-visiting-rams-54491/

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/12/2014, 05:41 PM
on an unrelated note, the cowboys have almost $30 million in dead money right now

Ruf/Nek7
3/12/2014, 06:04 PM
on an unrelated note, the cowboys have almost $30 million in dead money right now

Just shows how big of an idiot Jerry was with all of his contracts. God, why was i born in Dallas and peaking my interest in football during the 90's?

Eielson
3/12/2014, 09:46 PM
Their message board fans are some of the most negative people I've ever seen.

http://www.clanram.com/forums/f85/og-davin-joseph-visiting-rams-54491/

Well, I guess some of them are pretty negative about it.

Clanram isn't usually too negative, but there are a couple people pissing and moaning over there because we didn't land a big name free agent. Snead specifically said we wouldn't make a big splash in FA, so signing Byrd (or Verner or any of the others) was almost entirely out of the question. A couple short-minded fans seems to be making all the noise. Not spending big this offseason should be useful when we start having to give raises to all our young talent. We're not 1 player away from a SB, so there's no use swinging for the fences on damaged goods.

Piware
3/12/2014, 11:09 PM
Wish the KC Chiefs would give him a call. Davin is a class act and one of my son-in-laws former classmates. They talked a lot about his decision to go to the NFL when he declared for the draft. Looking at a photo of him holding a ballerina that hangs over my desk and says We Have It All. Hope he lands somewhere good.