PDA

View Full Version : Sr Nite: Beat WVU

badger
3/5/2014, 09:38 AM
Cast your vBets here (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?182881-West-Virginia-is-farther-east-than-the-rest-of-the-Big-12&p=4409032#post4409032). Lots of chances for big vBucks off our seniors :D

SS.com game preview here. (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209426270)

8 p.m. tonight hosting WVU
TV: ESPNU
Radio: KRXO 107.7 FM, KOKC 1520 AM in Oklahoma City; KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa; Sirius 91, XM 91

Let us revenge their sh!tty weather that made our flights be delayed and caused us to lose in overtime last time we played. Oh, and win one for Cam and Tyler too

SoonerDomiNation
3/5/2014, 11:30 AM
Beat wes virginny.......

Soonerjeepman
3/5/2014, 02:23 PM
Our guard play as been excellent..I take back my early post on Booker...he is doing what needs to do. The team is really jelling, knowing their roles. I like Bennett has come in and given valuable minutes. I think he has room to grow quickly. Practice can teach you so much but game situations is where you learn. He has taken advantage of this.

BOOMER!

I will add....we have only 3..yes 3...Jr/Sr...wow. The next two years are going to be good!

8timechamps
3/5/2014, 06:17 PM
Our guard play as been excellent..I take back my early post on Booker...he is doing what needs to do. The team is really jelling, knowing their roles. I like Bennett has come in and given valuable minutes. I think he has room to grow quickly. Practice can teach you so much but game situations is where you learn. He has taken advantage of this.

BOOMER!

I will add....we have only 3..yes 3...Jr/Sr...wow. The next two years are going to be good!

Booker still makes me nervous (much like Cousins) with the ball, but he's definitely developing into a solid contributor.

While this game isn't a 'make or break' game, we are in a great spot to get the 2 seed in the conference tournament, so we really need to win out. WVU is a team that plays better than their record, so it could be a game tonight. If we come out ready to go, and play the way we've been playing recently, we should be able to pull away early in the second half.

8timechamps
3/5/2014, 09:45 PM
Anyone watching?

OU 33
WVU 24

2:40 left in the half

Just starting to pull away. WVU's been hanging around most of the first half.

Temujin
3/5/2014, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I'm watching. Some really pretty play, but also some sloppy play. And the usual abomination that they call officiating these days. Though I would say at least the crappy officiating has been even between the teams so far.

Soonerjeepman
3/5/2014, 09:58 PM
unfortunately....am watching "gametracker"....will watch Fri. Looks like we were headed in the right direction...let that guard kill us..can we not guard him? coming off screens?

8timechamps
3/5/2014, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I'm watching. Some really pretty play, but also some sloppy play. And the usual abomination that they call officiating these days. Though I would say at least the crappy officiating has been even between the teams so far.

Agreed.

We've already made 17 3 point attempts (only hitting on 5). If that heats up a little in the second half (and I think it probably will), this game could be over quickly.

The little guy for WVU, Staten, is a basketball version of Tavon Austin. He's really the only guy doing much for the Mountaineers. Seems like he did the same thing last time we played.

8timechamps
3/5/2014, 10:00 PM
unfortunately....am watching "gametracker"....will watch Fri. Looks like we were headed in the right direction...let that guard kill us..can we not guard him? coming off screens?

LOL, I just made a comment about him in the above post.

He's not their best shooter, but damn, he gives us fits.

Soonerjeepman
3/5/2014, 10:01 PM
lol..I was wondering how bad it was....the officiating. they havn't attempted a FT and we are 6/7 or something like that. Sure Huggins is going crazy

Temujin
3/5/2014, 10:04 PM
lol..I was wondering how bad it was....the officiating. they havn't attempted a FT and we are 6/7 or something like that. Sure Huggins is going crazy

Honestly, WVU is just sloppier than we are, missing closeup shots and taking bad outside shots. If it weren't for Staten and our own sloppy play, we'd be blowing them out.

Temujin
3/5/2014, 10:07 PM
Our defense has been really good too, though, especially inside. Spangler has really learned to move his feet and keep his frame straight up/down to avoid the foul.

Soonerjeepman
3/5/2014, 10:15 PM
6/20 on 3's,,,UGLY

Soonerjeepman
3/5/2014, 10:19 PM
can see huggins bitching is working...4 fouls on OU 1 on wv...

Soonerjeepman
3/5/2014, 10:22 PM
6/23 and we continue to shoot 3's. I'm not watching, is there no option for the post?

Soonerjeepman
3/5/2014, 10:25 PM
Honestly, WVU is just sloppier than we are, missing closeup shots and taking bad outside shots. If it weren't for Staten and our own sloppy play, we'd be blowing them out.

looks like OU is taking bad shots now...

Temujin
3/5/2014, 10:30 PM
looks like OU is taking bad shots now...

Yeah, it's like we just get lazy when we get up on someone. Been a season-long problem. But, also a young player problem, so hopefully correctable over the next couple of seasons.

Temujin
3/5/2014, 10:35 PM
And Kruger gets onto the team for not moving around enough on offense and we're back on track. Just great coaching.

Eielson
3/5/2014, 10:36 PM
Yeah, it's like we just get lazy when we get up on someone. Been a season-long problem. But, also a young player problem, so hopefully correctable over the next couple of seasons.

I remember when people kept blaming Capel for that. Must be Cam's fault.

Soonerjeepman
3/5/2014, 10:44 PM
cmon guys..finish it off.

Collier11
3/5/2014, 10:45 PM
we are a program that is figuring out how to win again, luckily this team is young and coachable. Next year could be special

Temujin
3/5/2014, 10:46 PM
I remember when people kept blaming Capel for that. Must be Cam's fault.

Yeah, I'm not in the huddle, but it seems when Kruger sees that happen, he's quick to call a TO and point it out, and we suddenly play better.

Wow, the whole team swats Staten and it appears Huggie's bitchin' is working because they call yet another phantom foul.

Temujin
3/5/2014, 10:47 PM
we are a program that is figuring out how to win again, luckily this team is young and coachable. Next year could be special

Totally agree. I'm really interested to see where this team goes the next couple of years.

Soonerjeepman
3/5/2014, 10:51 PM
we are soooo young. 2 sr, and although Neal has played "well" this yr, not someone we'll miss athletically, and 1 Jr..our studs are fr/soph. Get some athletic bigs in...I'm excited.

Soonerjeepman
3/5/2014, 11:00 PM
good win...on to TCU...

BOOMER!

Eielson
3/5/2014, 11:07 PM
we are soooo young. 2 sr, and although Neal has played "well" this yr, not someone we'll miss athletically, and 1 Jr..our studs are fr/soph. Get some athletic bigs in...I'm excited.

I'd honestly bet our age is fairly common among top 25 teams. The difference is that we should have our guys for longer. Kansas, for instance, has 3 freshman, a sophomore, and a junior starting for them. They could have 3 or 4 lottery picks after this year, though.

Eielson
3/5/2014, 11:14 PM
My favorite thing about these last two games is that we've held our opponents to 62 and 65 points. It doesn't seem like that long ago that we gave up 91 points to TU, 89 to UTA, 102 to LT, 85 to Texas, 90 to Kansas, and 82 to ISU in a 7 game stretch (the omitted game in that stretch was A&M scoring 52 :P)

picasso
3/5/2014, 11:23 PM
I'd honestly bet our age is fairly common among top 25 teams. The difference is that we should have our guys for longer. Kansas, for instance, has 3 freshman, a sophomore, and a junior starting for them. They could have 3 or 4 lottery picks after this year, though.
I wouldn't say it was common to be so young with so many wins.
Eddie Sutton's better teams at Pokie were chock full of seniors. Could be us in a few yrs.

Eielson
3/5/2014, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't say it was common to be so young with so many wins.
Eddie Sutton's better teams at Pokie were chock full of seniors. Could be us in a few yrs.

Sutton's teams weren't exactly ordinary, though, and the game has changed since his time. The new rules require that everyone go to school (almost always top 25 schools), and almost none of the elite players actually graduate.

JLEW1818
3/5/2014, 11:47 PM
Year after year, E would still argue with his own shadow. I couldn't imagine being your child or spouse. You'er probably a straight 1upper too.

birddog
3/6/2014, 12:05 AM
Nothing but solid, consistent play from a young team that finds ways to win. OU bball is fun again.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
3/6/2014, 07:12 AM
Us a 2 seed and Pokes a 7 seed? Rematch?

Eielson
3/6/2014, 08:16 AM
Us a 2 seed and Pokes a 7 seed? Rematch?

That's what it's looking like. Probably the only way that doesn't happen is if OSU beats ISU and Baylor loses to KSU. I'd like to think we won't have a repeat of last year's embarrassment at TCU.

Boomer.....
3/6/2014, 08:28 AM
We have to do a better job of blocking out on rebounds and hustling to the ball. WVU had WAY to many offensive rebounds which got them back into the game.

badger
3/6/2014, 09:34 AM
good win...on to TCU...

BOOMER!

Are we their senior nite? Their last chance at having a win in the Big 12 season, other than the tourney?

Crud

Temujin
3/6/2014, 03:56 PM
We have to do a better job of blocking out on rebounds and hustling to the ball. WVU had WAY to many offensive rebounds which got them back into the game.

Funny thing is that how they got their offensive rebounds is how we often get ours - long rebounds off of missed long range jumpers.

What I do like is that we're young, and despite some sloppy play against some good opponents, we still can pull off a double-digit win against a bubble team. We win close games and win going away. We seem to have a lot of confidence even when we put ourselves in a hole, and I think if we can put together 40-minutes of good effort at both ends of the court, we can go pretty far.

I really think we're a solid Sweet 16 team, with a real good chance to go further. From what I've seen across the country this year, we have a real good opportunity to boost our profile in the tourney.

Eielson
3/6/2014, 04:05 PM
I really think we're a solid Sweet 16 team, with a real good chance to go further. From what I've seen across the country this year, we have a real good opportunity to boost our profile in the tourney.

I agree with that. There's probably about 6 or 7 teams I don't want to get matched up against, but I think we could take down just about anybody else.

Temujin
3/6/2014, 05:33 PM
I'd love to pull a #6 seed into the final four and snag a little revenge against KU in the championship. LOL Wishful thinking, but man would it be sweet.

NMSooner'80
3/7/2014, 05:35 PM
What amazes me about OU's youth is that there are only three upperclassmen total (Neal, Clark and Bennett). The rest of the roster is young like your typical JC team is.