PDA

View Full Version : Taking my daughter to her first basketball game in Norman tomorrow

Owassokie
3/4/2014, 12:04 PM
I want her to have a great experience. Is there any kind of meet and greet before the game? Does anyone have suggestions?
Thanks,
OO

SoonerDomiNation
3/5/2014, 11:32 AM
I took mine to her first last year she loved it. She really enjoyed walkin around at looking at all the stuff inside LNC. Hope ur daughter has a blast.

badger
3/5/2014, 12:24 PM
I didn't want to answer since I haven't been there in awhile.

I highly recommend getting there early so you can see all of the awesome displays on the upper concourse area. If you have a really young one, however, you might just need to do that the entire game rather than watch the game (mine is almost 2 and would probably not sit in an LNC seat for very long).

Bring money. A set of pom poms are a must for a young Sooner girl.

Bring a camera. I don't really care much for the new mascots, but kids are likely too young to miss Top Dawg. Cheerleaders and Ruf/Neks or even band members would likely pose for a photo if you ask. This is, of course, assuming that you have a lower bowl ticket. The yellow shirts sometimes don't let upper bowl tickets down lower (but since it's Weds night, you'd have a good shot with a kid in tow, heh).

Here's the SS.com preview (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209426270). There's no pregame promos or anything mentioned, so your best bet for meet and greet would be postgame, especially since the players will hang around to honor seniors on the court. If the kid can last till the end, I'm going to assume that they will do tons of balloons from the ceiling like they did for the women's team.

Owassokie
3/5/2014, 01:35 PM
Thank you so much for the information. This helps a lot. My daughter is 7. She saw the mascot last year at the game in Tulsa. Pictures are a must...thanks for the reminder. We will be in the lower bowl. I'm guessing she will get tired and cranky by the end of an 8pm game. This wasn't great planning on my part but her sports make it impossible to a Saturday ballgame.

Thanks again,
OO

badger
3/5/2014, 02:02 PM
Tulsan here. I can't wait for the Big 12 baseball tourney in 2015. My daughter will be 3 then and able to last a bit longer. I may attempt to take her to one (we have two this year!) of the OU-poke baseball games this spring, but I know that it's likely that she won't last more than an hour, perhaps two (they have playground equipment in the outfield!).

It really sucks that the year Tulsa gets the NCAA basketball opening rounds that no state teams make the tournament. That was our chance to prove that we could host it again in the future.