PDA

View Full Version : If OU Had A Classics Replay Like The horns, Which Games Would You Like To See?

lexsooner
3/3/2014, 08:36 PM
The horn network has this classics replay in which they show games from past seasons. Since they suffer from a certain level of insecurity, ALL of the games shown are UT wins. They never, ever show a tie or a loss, no matter how great of a game. They show their Rose Bowl win over USC about five times per week. The replays seems to go back to the 70s.

If there was an OU equivalent, I would want to see the following beginning from the time I followed OU football:

Fairbanks era:

OU vs. USC, 1971, when Pruitt ran wild; Game of the Century. We lost, but it was a great, classic game.

The King's Rein:

OU vs. USC, 1973, 7-7 tie when Little Joe returned that punt; our ars rape of Texas that year.

OU vs. Missouri, 1975, Run Joe, Run! Orange Bowl National Title win over Michigan. If we had not fumbled on our 1, we would have shut them out.

OU vs. Ohio State, 1977, block that kick.

OU vs. Nebraska, rematch, Orange Bowl, 1978 season. We should have been the MNC that year.

OU vs. Nebraska, 1979. It was such a great, tense game, that the guy next to us left with his wife in the early fourth, telling people he just could not take it anymore.

OU vs. FSU, 1980 season Orange Bowl, JC to Forrest.

OU vs. OSU, big comeback win in Stillwater. Was it 1983? OU vs. Missouri, 1982, Marcus steps out. Upset of Nebraska in Lincoln in 1982.

OU vs. Nebraska, 1985, Keith Jackson TE around; Orange Bowl National Title win over Penn St.

The Dark Ages: Gibbs and that Pipe Smoking Drunk and the Big Guy:

Well, Dean, as Gibbs would say on his show, our win over UVA in the Gator Bowl was the signature win of my career. Smellofbourbon? Give me a break.

Blake's OT win over UT in 1995 or 96. Can't remember which. A friend of mine called just when they cut in and showed UT kicking a FG in OT and I turned the tv on mute, so I cursed and figured we lost, but it was just the first possession. They later cut in and showed our winning TD. Remember how before this game many of us were afraid we would lose every game that season? That was a good pley, Kelly [Gregg], as the Big Guy would say all the time on his replay show.

Stoops Era: I moved to Lexington in 1994, so I did not get to see many great OU games, so I am leaving out quite a few worthy ones from this era.

1999: OU vs. Louisville in the pizza stadium, just because I went to that game and would like to see it again. Heupel threw about four long tds.

2000: Our beat down of the horns; OU v. Nebraska, we are for real; OU over KSU, regular season; Big XII Title win over KSU; Orange Bowl National Title Win v. FSU.

OU v. Texas, 2001, the Real RW makes Chris into Chrissy.

OU v. Bama, 2002 in Norman. Gang rape of the horns in 2003; Rose Bowl win over WSU, 2002 season.

OU v. Oregon, Holiday Bowl, 2005 or so. AD was able to put it away but fumbled. Made it exciting.

OU v. Oregon, the Day College Football Died, the next season. Yes, this one was such a travesty that it needs to be shown. OU v. Boise St. Great comeback, horrible ending. So memorable a game that it should be shown too.

OU v. Miami beatdown, a three star qb from OKC's star is born.

The Stach's great wins: Stanford, Sun Bowl; Nebraska, final Big XII title game; OSU and WVU, 2012.

And, of course, 2013 - OU over OSU, and the Sugar Bowl. Show the latter over and over again like UT shows their Rose Bowl win. There are others, but I can't recall them all. Plus, I am sure some of my memories are off, so feel free to correct.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/3/2014, 08:51 PM
The 1972 game vs Nebbish in bugeaterville, we win dramatically 17-14 I think, to end Nebbishes reign of terror in the Big 8. This is the last season of Chuck Fairbanks as HC. OU establishes dominance of nebs and Dr Tom, until the 1978 game.

lexsooner
3/3/2014, 10:00 PM
I think the 1978 game was the most upset I have ever been after an OU game. I still remember the incredible Sims run, going left to right on the tv screen, and he was tackled at about the Nebbish two and fumbled and the Nebbish player immediately recovered. My heart was so broken. Our OL walked off to the sideline emotionless, leaving Sims just laying there on his side for a long time. We would have scored and won the game and gone on to win the national title. This game probably should be on our network, considering it was so memorable.

BoulderSooner79
3/3/2014, 10:15 PM
'76 was a rebuilding year, but young stars began showing what they could do:

The '76 UT game. Valiant effort by the defense in a game dominated by the horns. But they only led 6-0 in the 4th and our ineffective offense got 1 more shot. Horace Ivory scores to tie it at 6-6, but we miss the PAT. It's the only tie game I can remember that didn't feel like "kissing your sister". Ask any UT fan, and they felt they lost while the OU fans felt they effectively stole one.

The '76 NU game in Lincoln. Half-back pass against a howling wind and a hook and ladder later in the drive. One of those "Sooner Magic" games we had no business winning.

The '77 UT game that never happened. Maybe people have played it out in a video game that could be shown as a classic. This should have been an epic battle featuring the '77 Heisman winner Earl Campbell and the '78 winner Billy Sims. But both Thomas Lott and Billy Sims were injured in the previous "block that kick" game against tOSU and didn't play. It turned out to be a defensive repeat of '76 with Campbell scoring the only TD to sew it up for the horns.

lexsooner
3/3/2014, 10:34 PM
'76 was a rebuilding year, but young stars began showing what they could do:

The '76 UT game. Valiant effort by the defense in a game dominated by the horns. But they only led 6-0 in the 4th and our ineffective offense got 1 more shot. Horace Ivory scores to tie it at 6-6, but we miss the PAT. It's the only tie game I can remember that didn't feel like "kissing your sister". Ask any UT fan, and they felt they lost while the OU fans felt they effectively stole one.

The '76 NU game in Lincoln. Half-back pass against a howling wind and a hook and ladder later in the drive. One of those "Sooner Magic" games we had no business winning.

The '77 UT game that never happened. Maybe people have played it out in a video game that could be shown as a classic. This should have been an epic battle featuring the '77 Heisman winner Earl Campbell and the '78 winner Billy Sims. But both Thomas Lott and Billy Sims were injured in the previous "block that kick" game against tOSU and didn't play. It turned out to be a defensive repeat of '76 with Campbell scoring the only TD to sew it up for the horns.

I bet the 1984 UT tie with the no call interception made you feel like you were kissing Roseanne Barr.

ouwasp
3/3/2014, 10:34 PM
The 1987 Nebraska game was a very special game. Neb had a DE that had been pretty mouthy...OU had to go to Lincoln and start the backup QB and FB..Sooners were undefeated...was Nebraska as well? Anyhow, great defensive game that OU broke open in the 4th, think the final was 17-7...if the football gods had been kind, OU woulda won a MNC that yr...

BoulderSooner79
3/3/2014, 11:19 PM
I bet the 1984 UT tie with the no call interception made you feel like you were kissing Roseanne Barr.

Actually not. I never saw that game, even in replay. I've just read all the bitchin' and moaning about it here.

3/3/2014, 11:30 PM
The 1987 Nebraska game was a very special game. Neb had a DE that had been pretty mouthy...OU had to go to Lincoln and start the backup QB and FB..Sooners were undefeated...was Nebraska as well? Anyhow, great defensive game that OU broke open in the 4th, think the final was 17-7...if the football gods had been kind, OU woulda won a MNC that yr...I would ABSOLUTELY NOT want the Orange Bowl after the 1987 season. Charles Thompson was QB against Thug U, and we DID NOT THROW A PASS in that game til the middle of the 4th qtr. yeah, we lost 6-20, and I was never so PO'd at an OU coach as I was with The King, for allowing the Thugs to stack the line of scrimmage on every play, til the game was almost over.

3/4/2014, 12:22 AM
The tx classic games network should show the 1991 Cotton Bowl game the whorns played against Thug u, over and over and over. Thugs won 41-9 I believe, and that's after overcoming over 200 yards in penalties, giving tx 6 unearned first downs. Russell Maryland lived in the whorn backfield. It's my all-time favorite whorn game where OU isn't their opponent.

He*l, we should have this game on the Sooner Classic Game network, along with the Alabama slaughter of Notre Dame in the '12 NC game.

westbrooke
3/4/2014, 12:32 AM
We were short on wins during the Blake era, but Demond Parker had some amazing games in there. I remember the game against SDSU and the epic Parker vs. Ricky Williams showdown in the RRS.

Salt City Sooner
3/4/2014, 01:37 AM
The horn network has this classics replay in which they show games from past seasons. Since they suffer from a certain level of insecurity, ALL of the games shown are UT wins. They never, ever show a tie or a loss, no matter how great of a game. They show their Rose Bowl win over USC about five times per week. The replays seems to go back to the 70s.

If there was an OU equivalent, I would want to see the following beginning from the time I followed OU football:

Fairbanks era:

OU vs. USC, 1971, when Pruitt ran wild; Game of the Century. We lost, but it was a great, classic game.

The King's Rein:

OU vs. USC, 1973, 7-7 tie when Little Joe returned that punt; our ars rape of Texas that year.

OU vs. Missouri, 1975, Run Joe, Run! Orange Bowl National Title win over Michigan. If we had not fumbled on our 1, we would have shut them out.

OU vs. Ohio State, 1977, block that kick.

OU vs. Nebraska, rematch, Orange Bowl, 1978 season. We should have been the MNC that year.

OU vs. Nebraska, 1979. It was such a great, tense game, that the guy next to us left with his wife in the early fourth, telling people he just could not take it anymore.

OU vs. FSU, 1980 season Orange Bowl, JC to Forrest.

OU vs. OSU, big comeback win in Stillwater. Was it 1983? OU vs. Missouri, 1982, Marcus steps out. Upset of Nebraska in Lincoln in 1982.

OU vs. Nebraska, 1985, Keith Jackson TE around; Orange Bowl National Title win over Penn St.

The Dark Ages: Gibbs and that Pipe Smoking Drunk and the Big Guy:

Well, Dean, as Gibbs would say on his show, our win over UVA in the Gator Bowl was the signature win of my career. Smellofbourbon? Give me a break.

Blake's OT win over UT in 1995 or 96. Can't remember which. A friend of mine called just when they cut in and showed UT kicking a FG in OT and I turned the tv on mute, so I cursed and figured we lost, but it was just the first possession. They later cut in and showed our winning TD. Remember how before this game many of us were afraid we would lose every game that season? That was a good pley, Kelly [Gregg], as the Big Guy would say all the time on his replay show.

Stoops Era: I moved to Lexington in 1994, so I did not get to see many great OU games, so I am leaving out quite a few worthy ones from this era.

1999: OU vs. Louisville in the pizza stadium, just because I went to that game and would like to see it again. Heupel threw about four long tds.

2000: Our beat down of the horns; OU v. Nebraska, we are for real; OU over KSU, regular season; Big XII Title win over KSU; Orange Bowl National Title Win v. FSU.

OU v. Texas, 2001, the Real RW makes Chris into Chrissy.

OU v. Bama, 2002 in Norman. Gang rape of the horns in 2003; Rose Bowl win over WSU, 2002 season.

OU v. Oregon, Holiday Bowl, 2005 or so. AD was able to put it away but fumbled. Made it exciting.

OU v. Oregon, the Day College Football Died, the next season. Yes, this one was such a travesty that it needs to be shown. OU v. Boise St. Great comeback, horrible ending. So memorable a game that it should be shown too.

OU v. Miami beatdown, a three star qb from OKC's star is born.

The Stach's great wins: Stanford, Sun Bowl; Nebraska, final Big XII title game; OSU and WVU, 2012.

And, of course, 2013 - OU over OSU, and the Sugar Bowl. Show the latter over and over again like UT shows their Rose Bowl win. There are others, but I can't recall them all. Plus, I am sure some of my memories are off, so feel free to correct.
For GG's time, I'd go with the '90 blowout of NU or the '93 bombing of A&M. Those were his only 2 wins over top 10 teams, & they were both pretty unexpected.

Other's I'd like to see:

1980 Orange Bowl- just to see that horizontal Watts pitch to Sims

1985 vs. KU- Solely due to revenge for the '84 trainwreck. In the couple of weeks leading up to that game up here, it seemed like every other sentence I heard was something along the lines of "Watch out Oklahoma, here comes the Bomb Squad with Mike Norseth!" Needless to say, it got quiet pretty quickly after the game.

The Ice Bowl- no way that game gets left off this list.

1988 KSU- Yeah, it's KSU. Still 768 yards on the ground deserves to be watched twice.

1989- OSU- Mike Freakin' Gaddis. 'Nuff said.

1993- OSU- Only time I can remember that a team was held to negative yards passing. Rained all game.

1994- Syracuse- unfortunate pre-cursor of things to come because this should not have been close, but one heck of a display of ice water in the veins by Blanton to win it.

1997- Syracuse- Blocked FG to win it by 2. Parker was the absolute schizznit that day. McNabb still hasn't kept his breakfast down.

1999- A&M- NINJEE!!! The first real sign that OU was back.

1999- OSU- Anybody else remember Ryan staring down Josh in the pre-game? How'd that work out for ya, Rob?

2002- RRS- Horns spent the day getting Q'd. They actually had the lead heading to the 4th before getting their hearts ripped out again.

2003- UCLA- Hey Karl, keep kicking it to Perkins. We don't mind.

2003- OSU- Let 'er rip!

2007- CCG- Mr. Daniel, meet Mr. Lofton. Have fun with that.

2008- Tech- No explanation necessary.

2009- OSU- Ratterree saves the blanking on pure effort. I SO had visions of losing it ala' 85 NU, but he would have none of it.

Pricetag
3/4/2014, 02:57 AM
1999- OSU- Anybody else remember Ryan staring down Josh in the pre-game? How'd that work out for ya, Rob?

Ha ha, I remember one play, OSU looked like they had a punt block called--everyone was within a yard of the line of scrimmage. Bang, Heupel to Fagan for one of the easiest scores ever.

vtsooner21
3/4/2014, 07:21 AM
The last one...Over & over & over...

Boomer

Jacie
3/4/2014, 08:39 AM
Actually not. I never saw that game, even in replay. I've just read all the bitchin' and moaning about it here.

I didn't go that year, stayed home to watch it on television and seeing the game played in the rain I was glad of that decision. The telecast showed a darkened stadium and field, the haze making it difficult to see clearly. Was the first time I recalled seeing the lights on for the RRS and they were not well prepared for what effectively was a night game. Between that and no instant replay, it's no wonder that call went against the Sooners.

lexsooner
3/4/2014, 10:43 AM
I didn't go that year, stayed home to watch it on television and seeing the game played in the rain I was glad of that decision. The telecast showed a darkened stadium and field, the haze making it difficult to see clearly. Was the first time I recalled seeing the lights on for the RRS and they were not well prepared for what effectively was a night game. Between that and no instant replay, it's no wonder that call went against the Sooners.

I remember I had a ticket but had to sell it because I was sitting for a standardized test that day, so I took the test and walked back to the dorm in the afternoon not knowing the status of the game. The streets were pretty deserted because of the game. When I got to the tv room, we were up by 5 in the fourth and pinned back near our goal line, and it was raining hard. We elected to take a safety, which set the stage for the UT drive, missed call on the Stansberry pick, and UT fg to tie the game at the end. Everyone chanted "B--- S----" on the way to Couch for dinner.

lexsooner
3/4/2014, 10:54 AM
Aw, heck, I forgot one of the great ones - Bedlam, 2011. They did not show it in Lexington, so I was following the game cast on ESPN's website, and near the end I remember twice thinking, surely we didn't score that quickly! Funny, for all the bitchin and moanin about LJ (and we had some reasons for it), when he was on, he was on, and probably got us more come from behind wins than any other OU qbs in recent memory.

ouflak
3/4/2014, 11:44 AM
I'd like to see some of the games I actually attended on replay like the OU-Syracuse game.

lexsooner
3/4/2014, 11:47 AM
I'd like to see some of the games I actually attended on replay like the OU-Syracuse game.

Carrier dome game at Syracuse, not the dump gatorade on Blake one in Norman, right?

Mac94
3/4/2014, 12:26 PM
ALL of the games shown are UT wins.

Well ... it is their network for their fans ... but ... they have shown once or twice the 1999 A&M - Texas Bonfire game in which A&M won 20-16.

As for the topic at hand ... I'll throw in the 79 or 80 Orange Bowl against FSU in Billy Sims last game in which OU rolled over Bowden's boys (the one the year before the 18-17 classic).

Would love to see the entire 1985 season ... game by game ... in the road to the MNC.

And someone mentioned the 1984 OU-Texas game ... the 15-15 tie ... that game will make you sick ... OU was so robbed in that game. Still remember the Dallas Times Herald (now defunct) headlines the next day ... "The Ties of Texas Are Upon you." Ugh

lexsooner
3/4/2014, 01:14 PM
Well ... it is their network for their fans ... but ... they have shown once or twice the 1999 A&M - Texas Bonfire game in which A&M won 20-16.

As for the topic at hand ... I'll throw in the 79 or 80 Orange Bowl against FSU in Billy Sims last game in which OU rolled over Bowden's boys (the one the year before the 18-17 classic).

Would love to see the entire 1985 season ... game by game ... in the road to the MNC.

And someone mentioned the 1984 OU-Texas game ... the 15-15 tie ... that game will make you sick ... OU was so robbed in that game. Still remember the Dallas Times Herald (now defunct) headlines the next day ... "The Ties of Texas Are Upon you." Ugh

Yeah, I know it's their network, Mac, but showing just one loss out of 100 wins is a bit much. As the OP details, of course I would want mostly our great and memorable wins, but I have no problem if they show very memorable games in which we lose, like the Game of the Century, Boise St. game or the 1978 Nebraska Sims fumble game. I recall decades ago some network showed Notre Dame's classic games, and some were losses, in fact, more than you would predict.

Plus this game was very different. It had an strong emotional ingredient added, so the Aggies winning and UT losing causes less sting to TLN fan viewers, almost like we are all Texans united after the tragedy and I am happy for A&M this one time, given the events leading up to the game.

Temujin
3/4/2014, 01:43 PM
1986 Nebbish in Lincoln - Sooner Magic
1987 Nebbish in Lincoln - Defensive domination (The King's remarks after this game were hilarious)

Sooners78
3/4/2014, 02:12 PM
85 Nebraska. We dominated the game 27-7 against a good Nebraska team. Even though Boz was better in 86 and 87, the defense as a whole was better in 85. Casillas being double teamed every play made a big difference.

Sooners78
3/4/2014, 02:18 PM
83 Nebraska would be worth seeing just to be able to see Spencer Tillman dive in from the 5 yd line. We were huge underdogs to the "Greatest offense ever" with Rozier, Gill, and Fryar. Danny Bradley, Buster Rhymes, and Spencer Tillman all had huge plays and made the game close.

Sooners78
3/4/2014, 02:27 PM
80 Colorado would also be fun. 82-42!

lexsooner
3/4/2014, 03:24 PM
83 Nebraska would be worth seeing just to be able to see Spencer Tillman dive in from the 5 yd line. We were huge underdogs to the "Greatest offense ever" with Rozier, Gill, and Fryar. Danny Bradley, Buster Rhymes, and Spencer Tillman all had huge plays and made the game close.

Yup, I was there and it was raining. Late in the fourth we were moving well and inside the five and ready to score when Brent Burks jumped offsides and then we had no luck passing, with Bradley's fourth down pass knocked down by a nebbish DB. Great game though, and a must for our network.

3/4/2014, 04:13 PM
80 Colorado would also be fun. 82-42!The '71 Colorado game, we won 75-25, or something like that. Greg Pruitt went absolutely bonkers with the wishbone pitch from Mildren, if I remember right.

lexsooner
3/4/2014, 07:31 PM
The '71 Colorado game, we won 75-25, or something like that. Greg Pruitt went absolutely bonkers with the wishbone pitch from Mildren, if I remember right.

That was the first year I went to OU games with Dad when I was 7 or 8. I remember the first couple of games were not sold out, SMU opener. Then folks realized we were good and CU was ranked high and we whipped em. I remember how crowded it was in the stands. Pruitt Zigzagged all over the field holding the ball with one hand. The Buffs could not catch him. I know they were gunning for us the next season when they upset us in Boulder on a field wet with rain, or watered by CU staff to slow down the bone. Other Big 8 teams used to pull that crap.

ouflak
3/5/2014, 03:36 AM
Carrier dome game at Syracuse, not the dump gatorade on Blake one in Norman, right?

Both, but I was at the one in Norman.

Pricetag
3/5/2014, 01:30 PM
Aw, heck, I forgot one of the great ones - Bedlam, 2011. They did not show it in Lexington, so I was following the game cast on ESPN's website, and near the end I remember twice thinking, surely we didn't score that quickly! Funny, for all the bitchin and moanin about LJ (and we had some reasons for it), when he was on, he was on, and probably got us more come from behind wins than any other OU qbs in recent memory.
And when he was off, he was OFF, which he decidedly was against OSU in 2011. You're thinking of the 2010 game in Stillwater. We had to go back there the next year when the Big 12 switched up the schedule.

lexsooner
3/5/2014, 04:27 PM
And when he was off, he was OFF, which he decidedly was against OSU in 2011. You're thinking of the 2010 game in Stillwater. We had to go back there the next year when the Big 12 switched up the schedule.

Yes, that is right. 2010 was the great game. We had to go back to Stillwater in 2011 and they blew us out and LJ was really bad that night.

soonerboomer
3/6/2014, 02:07 PM
Oklahoma at Nebraska on Nov. 23, 1972 (I believe Thanksgiving Day). I was there and was listening to the Nebraska announcers. Fairly late in the third quarter with Nebraska leading 14-0, the Nebraska announcer said that he thought the momentum had shifted in favor of Oklahoma and that he was very concerned about the outcome of the game. Obviously, he was right as Oklahoma scored a touchdown late in the third quarter and another touchdown midway through the fourth quarter. Toward the end of the 4th quarter Oklahoma kicked a field goal. The final score was Oklahoma 17 and Nebraska 14.

By the way, we sat in the south end zone. The reason I mention this is because Nebraska had just experienced a big snow storm a couple days earlier. Although the stadium ground crew had cleaned the seats where the Nebraska fans sat, they had not cleaned the seats where the Oklahoma fans sat. I thought that was really rude of them. We had to clean our own seats and then place our feet in the snow. It was quite cold that day and our feet really got cold having to put them on top of snow.

3/6/2014, 02:45 PM
Oklahoma at Nebraska on Nov. 23, 1972 (I believe Thanksgiving Day). I was there and was listening to the Nebraska announcers. Fairly late in the third quarter with Nebraska leading 14-0, the Nebraska announcer said that he thought the momentum had shifted in favor of Oklahoma and that he was very concerned about the outcome of the game. Obviously, he was right as Oklahoma scored a touchdown late in the third quarter and another touchdown midway through the fourth quarter. Toward the end of the 4th quarter Oklahoma kicked a field goal. The final score was Oklahoma 17 and Nebraska 14.

By the way, we sat in the south end zone. The reason I mention this is because Nebraska had just experienced a big snow storm a couple days earlier. Although the stadium ground crew had cleaned the seats where the Nebraska fans sat, they had not cleaned the seats where the Oklahoma fans sat. I thought that was really rude of them. We had to clean our own seats and then place our feet in the snow. It was quite cold that day and our feet really got cold having to put them on top of snow.I was down in NOLA working, and I remember watching the game on TV. Exciting as can be! That game was the last hurdle to overcome for OU, and marked the beginning of dominance for quite a long while.

stoopified
3/6/2014, 04:16 PM
Sooner Network on Fox does have Sooner Classics .I dvr'd the regular season games vs. Bama('02 and '03 I Think) and the 1956 ND game. I too would like to see the '72,'86 Husker games. Would also like to see '71,'72,'73 OU-UT games. Especially the '73 game which nearly cost DKR his sanity.

stoopified
3/6/2014, 04:25 PM
The '71 Colorado game, we won 75-25, or something like that. Greg Pruitt went absolutely bonkers with the wishbone pitch from Mildren, if I remember right.I read that and thought that can't be right because in 1971 NU,OU,CU finished 1-2-3 in the final poll.the OU-Buff score was 45-17 .I think you might have that game confused with the 1971 KSU game,OU won 75-28 and Pruitt set the school rushing record with 19 carries for 294 yards.

3/6/2014, 05:47 PM
I read that and thought that can't be right because in 1971 NU,OU,CU finished 1-2-3 in the final poll.the OU-Buff score was 45-17 .I think you might have that game confused with the 1971 KSU game,OU won 75-28 and Pruitt set the school rushing record with 19 carries for 294 yards.
you are correct. I had remembered the 75-28 game as OU -CU, when it was actually the OU - K-State GAME.

lexsooner
3/7/2014, 12:26 PM
OU vs. Iowa St., 1974, in Ames, and the Ice Bowl, OU-OSU, 1985. Except these games would be shown on the Weather Channel, not our network due to the significance of weather conditions in those games, both of which could have derailed our national titles for those seasons. Ames experienced non-stop heavy rain for days leading up to the game, and they deliberately left their field tarp off for that week and let the field turn into a hug mosh pit. We won a low scoring game, but afterwards, the OU administration was so mad I think they considered a formal protest to the Big Eight over ISU's conduct.

Jacie
3/7/2014, 01:34 PM
you are correct. I had remembered the 75-28 game as OU -CU, when it was actually the OU - K-State GAME.

The feeling among the fans was the final score was revenge for the Lynn Dickey-led slaughter by KSU the year before when they put 50+ points on the board, which in 1970 was still something of a rarity . . .

stoopified
3/7/2014, 02:47 PM
The feeling among the fans was the final score was revenge for the Lynn Dickey-led slaughter by KSU the year before when they put 50+ points on the board, which in 1970 was still something of a rarity . . .The 1969 win by the Dickey bunch in Manhatten(59-21) was an opponent scoring record until Blake let the Huskers hang 69,73 on us in back to back years.I hadn't thought about it before but it proably wa payback.The 52-9 beatdown of oSu was another message game I would love to see.I'm guessing Miles wouldn't run his mouth again before playing Bob.

SoCalBigRed
3/10/2014, 01:39 AM
Red October - 2000 season would be regular in the rotation, as a block.

3/10/2014, 02:10 AM
The 1969 win by the Dickey bunch in Manhatten(59-21) was an opponent scoring record until Blake let the Huskers hang 69,73 on us in back to back years.I hadn't thought about it before but it proably wa payback.The 52-9 beatdown of oSu was another message game I would love to see.I'm guessing Miles wouldn't run his mouth again before playing Bob.Seemed to me that Dr. Tom was humiliated by nebbish getting beaten by OU and coach Switzer for so many years. When he got the chance to pour it on against Boo's boys, he went full throttle.

Sooners78
3/12/2014, 12:31 PM
Seemed to me that Dr. Tom was humiliated by nebbish getting beaten by OU and coach Switzer for so many years. When he got the chance to pour it on against Boo's boys, he went full throttle.

I'd have to go back and look at the tapes of those games, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little of that going on. But, that's not really Tom's style. We just really sucked. Nebraska was so much better, we just couldn't stop them.

3/12/2014, 03:06 PM
I would have to check, too. I didn't pay close attention to OU football after Gary Gibbs' third or 4th year as coach. I do vaguely remember reading or hearing that Dr. Tom kept his starters in, and/or ran passes and trick plays pretty much til the end of the games in both of those humiliations by the nebbish.

The only time I thought highly of Dr. Tom was when he called out Bear Bryant for refusing to play nebbish or another highly ranked team at the time, since Bear's Bama teams had lost many straight bowl games. I don't remember exactly when that was.

BoulderSooner79
3/12/2014, 07:33 PM
I'd have to go back and look at the tapes of those games, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little of that going on. But, that's not really Tom's style. We just really sucked. Nebraska was so much better, we just couldn't stop them.

We Sooner fans have no justification for bitching about getting the score run up on OUr team - and that's a good thing.

3/12/2014, 07:42 PM
We Sooner fans have no justification for bitching about getting the score run up on OUr team - and that's a good thing.If a coach is playing the subs, and running instead of passing, I have no objection to them beating you like a drum. Only when a coach is keeping in their best players, and trying trick plays and such does it smack of revenge.

BoulderSooner79
3/12/2014, 10:19 PM
If a coach is playing the subs, and running instead of passing, I have no objection to them beating you like a drum. Only when a coach is keeping in their best players, and trying trick plays and such does it smack of revenge.

And what's wrong with revenge? And Switzer would have had to start passing to keep the score down. My only point is OU blows out other teams with great regularity, so if they get to turn the tables, I don't blame 'em. We'll get them back 10x over.

3/13/2014, 12:42 AM
And what's wrong with revenge? And Switzer would have had to start passing to keep the score down. My only point is OU blows out other teams with great regularity, so if they get to turn the tables, I don't blame 'em. We'll get them back 10x over.If you use your subs well after halftime when you have a big lead and they continue to score, then it's fine. However, if you keep your starters in the game in order to pour it on, I don't like it. I don't care who does it, it's sorta chicken sh*t, IMO. I'm saying I heard/read that's what Dr. Tom did vs OU in the Blake maulings. If he left the starters in, I'm calling bad sportsmanship.

NMSooner'80
3/14/2014, 09:35 PM
Someone mentioned the 1971 OU-USC game, and said that OU lost. OU actually won that game in Norman that day, I think it was 33-20. And the Condoms had to score on the last play of the game to make it that close.

picasso
3/14/2014, 10:57 PM
Osborne has Switzer to thank for those great Nebraska teams of the 90's.
We made them get better.

3/15/2014, 01:05 AM
Osborne has Switzer to thank for those great Nebraska teams of the 90's.
We made them get better.little doubt they recruited some of the kids we would have gotten, if we were worth a damn during that time frame.

Flagstaffsooner
3/15/2014, 05:34 AM
Anyone remember this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nOlATuyPDI

BudsBoy
3/16/2014, 11:44 AM
Almost all of the games you listed are available on youtube, or for sale.