PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Men's tournament watch

8timechamps
3/1/2014, 06:22 PM
Thought we should go ahead and start one of these since it appears our boys are locked into the big dance. Another good win over Texas today closes out a season sweep of Texas and OSU. Now we're playing for conference seed, and although the announcers in today's game said we would be a 5 seed if the season were to end today, that was based off of conference standings before any of today's games. If the season were to end now, OU would be a 3 seed (tied for 3rd with Texas, but a 2-0 head-to-head would put us ahead of the wHorns). If K-State can knock off ISU tonight, then things start getting really interesting. Anyway, enough with the conference stuff, lets talk about some teams on the bubble (by the way, feel free to add any tournament team related info here):

Right now, I think the Big XII has 4 teams locked into the tourney:

Kansas
Oklahoma
Iowa State
Texas

The teams on the bubble from the Big XII are:

K-State
Baylor
Oklahoma State

Of the three bubble teams, K-State is in the best position to earn their way into the big dance. First, they have a shot to knock off ISU tonight, and will have a chance to state their case over Baylor in the final regular season game. They have the highest RPI of the three (37), and are absolutely capable of making some noise in the conference tournament. They get ISU at home tonight, and even with a loss, I think they get in with an at-large bid.

Baylor still has an outside chance at a spot, but they MUST beat ISU and KSU, AND win at least their opening round game in the conference tourney to have a shot. It's not looking great for the Bears, but it's not impossible.

Oklahoma State is hanging by a thread. The only way they get in is to finish out 3-0 (KU, KSU & @ISU). Let's be realistic, that's not going to happen. Otherwise, the only shot they have is to win the conference tourney, and their chances are about the same for that.

Right now, my #1 seeds are:

Florida - Can't stand them, but they belong as a 1 seed.
Arizona - Not much to say here, they had an injury-caused bump earlier in the year, but I think they also deserve a #1 seed.
Kansas - I had Syracuse here, but their poor play recently combined with a blowout loss today to Virginia knocked them out. Kansas is the best team in the best conference this year, deserving of a #1 seed.
Wichita State - ASSUMING they win out and win their conference tournament. I'm not sure they are a championship team, but going undefeated is absolutely worth a #1 seed, even in a mediocre-to-poor conference.

That's my top 4 for now...a lot can change.

Sooner95
3/1/2014, 07:36 PM
#1 seeds for me..

Florida - South - Cant stand them either.
WSU - Midwest - Locked in as a #1 no matter what they do in MVC tourney.
Arizona - West - I think they are just about locked for #1 seed as well, barring a complete collapse. They've only lost 2 games, one of which to a AZST squad that may make the tourney as well. Cal is NIT bound.

The East #1 seed is up for grabs between KU and SYC. Syracuse has not played well at all lately and KU has. Personally, just give whichever one wins their Conf tourney the #1 and the other the #2 out East and call it a day. Not like it matters all that much.

As far as the Sooner's. We have 2 games left, both we are expected to win. Not sure of the tie-breakers but it will be a challenge gaining the #2 seed in Big12 tourney for a bye. Otherwise we will have to matchup against the likes of WV/KSU. I do not want to play Texass again, i know we swept them but beating a team 3 times in one yr is difficult (1988).

Having said all of that. WHEN we beat WV and TCU to close out regular season at 23-8 (12-6) and get at least one win in Big12 Tourney (24-8) I believe we settle into a 5/6 seed. Our RPI and SOS are top 30 and we should garner a Top20 ranking at that time as well.

I believe the Big12 will get at least 6 teams into the dance. Conf overall is one of the tougher ones this year so it'll be rewarded.

8timechamps
3/1/2014, 11:31 PM
Welp, KU may have lost their golden opportunity to take Syracuse' #1 seed with their loss to OSU tonight. It's possible that one of those two teams still ends up with the #1 seed, but now you have to look at Duke or Virginia as a possibility. Virginia may be the hottest team in the country right now, but even though they won the ACC, they lost to...you guessed it, Duke.

The last #1 seed will be up for grabs until someone makes a statement.

Sooner95
3/1/2014, 11:37 PM
Agree. I was actually thinking that VA will shoot up the rankings after today's action considering several teams ahead of them lost today and they picked up a key win and won their Conf title.

Should be interesting.

Sooner95
3/1/2014, 11:43 PM
Conf tie-breakers. Based on the quote below, I am thinking that OU has the upper hand since we own the only head2head sweep vs a team currently tied with. Thoughts?

Ties Involving More than Two Teams.

Results of collective head-to-head competition during the regular season among the tied teams (mini round-robin).

If more than two teams are still tied, each of the tied team's record vs. the team occupying the highest position in the final regular season standings, and then continuing down through the standings, eliminating tied teams with inferior records until one team gains an advantage.

When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group's own tie-breaking procedure), rather than the performance against individual tied teams.

If more than two teams are still tied, a comparison of the tied teams Conference-games only road record.

If more than two teams are still tied, a comparison of the tied teams Conference-games only road record vs. the team(s) occupying the highest position in the final Conference regular season standings, and then continuing down through the standing until one team gains an advantage.

When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group's own tie-breaking procedure), rather than the performance against individual tied teams.

If at any point the multiple-team tie is reduced to two teams, the two-team tie- breaking procedures above will be applied.

Once a team is eliminated from a multi-team comparison, it is dropped from further comparisons.

Sooner95
3/2/2014, 12:03 AM
The more research I do, I think our best hope for the #2 seed is (outside of winning out and having ISU/TX/KSU lose a game, is to have 2 others team be tied with us, but one of them must the Texass. We would win the round robin tie breaker.

Otherwise, we split with ISU/KSU so...then it goes to results vs KU, which we got swept. KSU and TX beat them so we'd be out.

Eielson
3/2/2014, 12:26 AM
I'm thinking the ACC is going to grab the last #1, but I'm not sure who. If Virginia can score a Duke victory in the ACC tournament, it's theirs. That's not an easy task, though.

I think Kansas is out now, because they have too many losses. Louisville's loss all but finished off the American (not a fan of that name). If Wisconsin wins out (and Virginia doesn't), I think they could take a 1 seed. I don't think they will, though.

Sooner95
3/2/2014, 12:36 AM
Good point. KU has 7 losses. Cant' recall a #1 seed having that many losses.

Blue
3/2/2014, 03:13 AM
Big 12 gets 7 in.

SoonerorLater
3/2/2014, 01:05 PM
At least on paper we have the best chance of winning out along with Texas which puts us in an excellent position for number 2 seed and a first round bye in the Big 12 tourney. Though neither of the the two remaining games is likely to change our RPI much if we win. My hunch is the the NCAA will award at least a five seed to the second place team in the highest RPI conference.

JLEW1818
3/2/2014, 04:52 PM
I don't think Kansas is good.

Ask Texas about conference tie breaker rules, they should know best.

8timechamps
3/2/2014, 05:09 PM
I'm thinking the ACC is going to grab the last #1, but I'm not sure who. If Virginia can score a Duke victory in the ACC tournament, it's theirs. That's not an easy task, though.

I think Kansas is out now, because they have too many losses. Louisville's loss all but finished off the American (not a fan of that name). If Wisconsin wins out (and Virginia doesn't), I think they could take a 1 seed. I don't think they will, though.

Assuming nothing crazy happens, and the standings remain the same in the ACC, VA and Duke could meet up in the conference tournament championship game (VA will be a 1 seed and Duke a 3). So, I think Syracuse is still in the running. It's almost going to come down to the ACC tournament champion. VA, Duke or Syracuse.

And I agree, KU lost their #1 seed last night in Stillwater.

8timechamps
3/2/2014, 05:11 PM
Conf tie-breakers. Based on the quote below, I am thinking that OU has the upper hand since we own the only head2head sweep vs a team currently tied with. Thoughts?

I think you're correct. If we end up tied with two other teams (one must be Texas), then we'll be the 2 seed. If we end up tied with two (and Texas isn't in there) or three others, then we'll be a 4 seed.

It's going to make this week's conference games interesting. Fortunately, the Sooners have the "easiest" remaining schedule (of the teams battling for the 2 seed). There are some important games otherwise.

8timechamps
3/2/2014, 05:14 PM
Big 12 gets 7 in.

We'll see, still some big games this week. OSU MUST win out (which looks probably now...amazingly). I think either Baylor or K-State will be left out, and I think it'll be Baylor, but they play each other so we'll see.

I think the Big XII ends up with 6.

8timechamps
3/2/2014, 05:16 PM
At least on paper we have the best chance of winning out along with Texas which puts us in an excellent position for number 2 seed and a first round bye in the Big 12 tourney. Though neither of the the two remaining games is likely to change our RPI much if we win. My hunch is the the NCAA will award at least a five seed to the second place team in the highest RPI conference.

We should win out, but what kinda sucks is that getting the 2 seed is out of our control. We have to be in a three way tie, and Texas has to be there with us (which looks pretty likely, but you never know).

If OU can win out, and win the conference tourney, I think there's a shot at a 3 seed (4 at the worst). If we make it to the championship game and lose, then I agree, we're probably looking at a 5.

SoonerorLater
3/2/2014, 05:47 PM
We should win out, but what kinda sucks is that getting the 2 seed is out of our control. We have to be in a three way tie, and Texas has to be there with us (which looks pretty likely, but you never know).

If OU can win out, and win the conference tourney, I think there's a shot at a 3 seed (4 at the worst). If we make it to the championship game and lose, then I agree, we're probably looking at a 5.

While it is out of our control, if we win out we can finish a second seed in the Big 12 with a KSU loss. Lucky for us they have the toughest two games left of the tied teams (@ OSU & vs. Baylor). With a bye in the first round Big 12 and one distinctly possible win we are a NCAA 5 seed IMO without question. With a first round bye and a loss we still have an outside shot at a 5 seed based on conference RPI though a six slot is more likely.

8timechamps
3/2/2014, 08:45 PM
While it is out of our control, if we win out we can finish a second seed in the Big 12 with a KSU loss. Lucky for us they have the toughest two games left of the tied teams (@ OSU & vs. Baylor). With a bye in the first round Big 12 and one distinctly possible win we are a NCAA 5 seed IMO without question. With a first round bye and a loss we still have an outside shot at a 5 seed based on conference RPI though a six slot is more likely.

Good catch. I knew that (about KSU), but didn't even realize it when I was posting. There will be some fun non-OU games to watch this week.

Eielson
3/3/2014, 01:28 PM
Just saw some numbers today. We're 8-3 against teams ranked 3-50 in the RPI. Very impressive. If Texas were two spots lower, we'd be 7-1 against teams from 25-50. That's about as good of a top 25 team indicator as you're going to find. It hasn't always felt like it, but this team has really been taking care of business.

This team could really wreak havoc on the league next year with the influx of size.

badger
3/3/2014, 01:42 PM
Welcome to 2014 8time :)

I like that we're in the tourney and not having to worry about blowing bubbles, but I'd really, REALLY like it if we build off last year's first round exit. We need to make it to the second round or better this year. No disappointing first round upset this year, please.

blacktop
3/3/2014, 02:26 PM
I don't know if this has been posted. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140303/bracket-watch-no-1-seeds-duke-syracuse-virginia-wisconsin/?eref=sihp This guy is projecting us at #4 West. Has nice things to say about us. Is it possible to edit the title of this to "2014" so it jives with the actual year?

badger
3/3/2014, 02:30 PM
I was just giving 8 crap it doesn't matter to me if it's 2013 or 2014. I have found that after you get past college years that the years tend to blend together just as much as the days :)

I would love to be in a bracket with Arizona. How many top 50 wins do they have? I thought I heard one somewhere

Eielson
3/3/2014, 03:20 PM
I would love to be in a bracket with Arizona. How many top 50 wins do they have? I thought I heard one somewhere

Arizona is 10-1 against top 50 teams. I don't think anybody else comes close to that mark. They're not the same team as they were before injuries, but I still wouldn't be excited to meet up with them.

badger
3/3/2014, 03:24 PM
Arizona is 10-1 against top 50 teams. I don't think anybody else comes close to that mark. They're not the same team as they were before injuries, but I still wouldn't be excited to meet up with them.

I have been receiving bad info from my spouse :mad:

Eielson
3/3/2014, 03:52 PM
I have been receiving bad info from my spouse :mad:

In his defense, they only have one top 25 win against a Pac-12 team (#21 UCLA). They beat #8 Duke, #12 Michigan, and #22 SDSU out of conference, though. The Pac-12 has several top 50 teams (#28 ASU, #29 Colorado, #33 Oregon, #40 Stanford...Cal is #51).

Blue
3/3/2014, 09:46 PM
What the heck is the BPI and why is OK st way ahead of us? espn sucks.

8timechamps
3/3/2014, 10:11 PM
Welcome to 2014 8time :)

I like that we're in the tourney and not having to worry about blowing bubbles, but I'd really, REALLY like it if we build off last year's first round exit. We need to make it to the second round or better this year. No disappointing first round upset this year, please.

Good grief, you'd think since it's the beginning of March I would have figured that out by now!

Late...but I'm here.

8timechamps
3/3/2014, 10:16 PM

It's an ESPN creation, but it does have some interesting data calculations. The biggest thing it has that the RPI doesn't, is that it factors in injuries. It accounts for losses when a team has an injury, and the same for the teams you play. It factors in winning more than losing (the RPI puts more emphasis on losses).

It would make sense that OState would be ahead of us, since they've had...injuries (suspensions/kicked off the team). But, I don't think anyone outside of ESPN looks at the BPI. Maybe in time, the committee will use it, but not this year.

8timechamps
3/3/2014, 10:17 PM
If I had a choice, I'd like to be in Witchita State's bracket. Not that they are 'bad', but of the top 4, I think they are the most beatable.

Eielson
3/3/2014, 11:24 PM
If I had a choice, I'd like to be in Witchita State's bracket. Not that they are 'bad', but of the top 4, I think they are the most beatable.

ESPN's bracketology thing right now has WSU as the 1 and Nova as the 2 in the Midwest. That would be pretty sweet to be in a bracket with those two as the top seeds, but I don't really like the 3 (Virginia) and 4 (MSU).

Salt City Sooner
3/4/2014, 12:34 AM
That's the key with them; you ARE going to have to beat them because they just won't beat themselves. One of the most fundamentally sound teams I've seen in a while.

badger
3/4/2014, 09:20 AM

I think they meant BMI in which case OK st has built an insurmountable lead

8timechamps
3/4/2014, 06:15 PM
ESPN's bracketology thing right now has WSU as the 1 and Nova as the 2 in the Midwest. That would be pretty sweet to be in a bracket with those two as the top seeds, but I don't really like the 3 (Virginia) and 4 (MSU).

That would be a bottom loaded bracket...not sure I'd want that.

That's the key with them; you ARE going to have to beat them because they just won't beat themselves. One of the most fundamentally sound teams I've seen in a while.

No doubt about that, they are a very good team. However, should OU make it far enough to face a 1 seed, I think I'd still rather see them over the others.

I think they meant BMI in which case OK st has built an insurmountable lead

No, it's really the "BPI". Look at my thread above (#27), it's an ESPN creation.

Eielson
3/4/2014, 06:38 PM
No, it's really the "BPI". Look at my thread above (#27), it's an ESPN creation.

She was making a fat joke. :P

8timechamps
3/4/2014, 07:58 PM
She was making a fat joke. :P

Man, I'm off my game.

Blue
3/5/2014, 12:20 AM
What happened to the spek feature?

Blue
3/5/2014, 12:21 AM
nevermind.

Sooner95
3/6/2014, 07:39 PM
I'm not going to rule KU out as getting a #1 seed just yet.

Duke lost which I think knocks them down to a #2 at best.

Virginia I think would have to win the ACC tourney to land it, SYC is out of the running.

Wisconsin has a shot , if they win the BIg10 tourney.

So i'm going to stick to my original picks;

Florida - South - Cant stand them either.
WSU - Midwest - Locked in as a #1 no matter what they do in MVC tourney.
Arizona - West - Locked in
Kansas - East (I still think they need to make at least the Big12 title game.)

Sooner's. 4-6 seed. First thing is first. Beat TCU. They should have to watch last years game again.

Eielson
3/6/2014, 08:04 PM
Yeah, the ACC is turning into chaos, so KU might get back in the picture. Virginia can't win the ACC, and Wisconsin can't win the B10, though.

8timechamps
3/6/2014, 08:45 PM
I think the committee will give the #1 seed to the winner of the ACC tournament if it's Duke or Virginia. Syracuse imploded, and they're out of the picture now.

KU still has a shot, but I think they'll have to win the Big XII tourney and Duke/Virginia will have to both go down in the ACC tourney.

The ACC has been very interesting to watch this week.

8timechamps
3/6/2014, 10:02 PM
Lunardi has OU as a #5 seed in the Midwest region. He has Wichita State as the #1 and Wisconsin #2 in that region, and we would play Southern Miss in the first round with a possible match-up with Louisville in the second. Of course that will all change, and it's only speculation (as far as who we'd play), but I would LOVE that set-up.

Here's a link: LINK (http://espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology)

Soonerjeepman
3/7/2014, 09:30 AM
I really like it as well...we'd have a good chance to play Wisconsin for the final 4. not sure I get isu a 3 though...and us a 5. I don't have an issue with us as a 5 but not sure isu is a 3. I know I'm probably alone on this one as well...but I don't see ku as a 1. I just think they play really soft sometimes. I can see cuse, unc, nova, ucla all coming out of that bracket.

SoonerorLater
3/7/2014, 10:28 AM
I really like it as well...we'd have a good chance to play Wisconsin for the final 4. not sure I get isu a 3 though...and us a 5. I don't have an issue with us as a 5 but not sure isu is a 3. I know I'm probably alone on this one as well...but I don't see ku as a 1. I just think they play really soft sometimes. I can see cuse, unc, nova, ucla all coming out of that bracket.

At least at this point I don't agree ISU going in over us as a 3 seed. I get they have a good RPI but when compared against the same competition (conference) we performed better. I do see where their wins over Michigan and Iowa is a good tournament resume builder but they have been finishing the season on more of a downtrend than OU. A win over OSU no matter what we do probably cements them ahead of us though.

I am happy with either a 4 or 5 seed. Really not much difference.

badger
3/7/2014, 11:01 AM
I am happy with either a 4 or 5 seed. Really not much difference.

Hell, after the hell Capel put us through post-Griffin bros., I am just happy being back in the postseason again. Just being postseason regulars and competitive in the Big 12 makes me happy at this point.

Because Cam and Tyler were still around for a few years of the Capel hell era, I hope for their sake we can get them a Sweet 16 net or even a Big 12 tourney champ net. But, if we don't, this season has still been fun and I'm happy.

Soonerjeepman
3/7/2014, 04:37 PM
THIS season has been AWESOME! Frustrated at times, but because I BELIEVED OU could play with anyone...still a great season, relatively speaking.

Sooner95
3/8/2014, 03:11 PM
Forget KU and a #1 seed, that's done. Either Virginia or Wisc.

Soonerjeepman
3/8/2014, 04:18 PM
lol...yeah, still can't believe the talking heads think they still have a chance...but whatever.

Sooner95
3/8/2014, 05:02 PM
Yea that's 8 losses, I don't care what your SOS or RPI is, that's to many for a 1 seed.

birddog
3/8/2014, 07:16 PM
Pokes choked off a beauty. Up 45-29 and go on to lose in ot. isu hit a 3 at the buzzer in reg. Very entertaining game as most poke games are.

Sooner95
3/8/2014, 07:19 PM
More I think about it, I'm not buying Wisc either, hell they won't win their Regular season conf title. Not the making of a #1 seed.

Villanova or Virginia for the East spot.

Florida - South and #1 overall.
WSU - Midwest locked
Arizona - even with loss today @ Oregon, West
Virginia - as long as they make the ACC finals. East.

Sooner95
3/8/2014, 07:27 PM
I guess ideally I would like to be in the San Antonio sub-regional in the South regional. Not sure if that will play out. Bracketology seems to have the 3/6 lines set for San Antonio...

SoonerorLater
3/8/2014, 07:30 PM
More I think about it, I'm not buying Wisc either, hell they won't win their Regular season conf title. Not the making of a #1 seed.

WSU - Midwest locked

Yeah looks right. Along the way Oregon played their way off the bubble too.

Sooner95
3/8/2014, 07:53 PM
Yea, I would agree on Oregon.

Blue
3/9/2014, 12:44 AM
I guess ideally I would like to be in the San Antonio sub-regional in the South regional. Not sure if that will play out. Bracketology seems to have the 3/6 lines set for San Antonio...

Bracketology does not pick the NCAA tourney...so there's that.

Eielson
3/9/2014, 12:26 PM

WSU - Midwest locked

I'd agree that the first three are locks regardless of how the conference tournaments go. That 4th one is wide open, though.

If Virginia wins the ACC, I think they'll get the #1, but if they only make it to the finals, and Wisconsin wins the Big 10, then I think Wisconsin gets it. Wisconsin has wins against Florida and Virginia in the non-conference. A win against Duke would go a long way for Virginia, and I'm guessing that would have to be in the finals.

If neither of those teams wins their conference, and Villanova can stop getting destroyed by Creighton, then I think Villanova gets it.

I would rule everybody else out, but if I've learned anything these last couple weeks, it's not to do that. Maybe Syracuse can cause chaos even more chaos in the ACC, and sneak back in. Nobody seems to want this final #1 seed.

Sooner95
3/9/2014, 01:26 PM
Virginia just opened it up again with their loss.

SoonerorLater
3/9/2014, 03:17 PM
Yep Virginia just pooped in their pants with that one. Does look like the fianl 1 slot is up for grabs. Several teams are now in play. I suppose the ACC tourney winner would be the front runner as long as it's Duke, Virginia or Syracuse. If those guys manage to knock each other off then it probably falls to Nova. Maybe Wisconsin if they can win out. I just think the committee will give the ACC the benefit of any doubts.

Eielson
3/9/2014, 04:48 PM
Virginia just opened it up again with their loss.

This just makes me want to quit guessing!

...but I can't. Here's how I see it.

1. Wisconsin wins out, and it's there's. They probably won't, though.

2. Villanova wins out, and it's PROBABLY there's.

3. ACC Champ (assuming that Virginia, Duke, or Syracuse wins it). If Syracuse goes through Duke and Virginia to win it, and does so convincingly, I think they overcome their late-season slump, and take the final 1 seed over Villanova (but probably not Wisconsin).

Now that I've said this, you all know what will happen. Wisconsin will blow it. Villanova will get torched by McDermott again. The ACC champ will be UNC. Everything thrown back into chaos.

Sooner95
3/9/2014, 08:36 PM
LOL you were right bout Wisc. They are out of it..

My vote goes to Villanova at this point.

8timechamps
3/9/2014, 09:48 PM
This just makes me want to quit guessing!

...but I can't. Here's how I see it.

1. Wisconsin wins out, and it's there's. They probably won't, though.

2. Villanova wins out, and it's PROBABLY there's.

3. ACC Champ (assuming that Virginia, Duke, or Syracuse wins it). If Syracuse goes through Duke and Virginia to win it, and does so convincingly, I think they overcome their late-season slump, and take the final 1 seed over Villanova (but probably not Wisconsin).

Now that I've said this, you all know what will happen. Wisconsin will blow it. Villanova will get torched by McDermott again. The ACC champ will be UNC. Everything thrown back into chaos.

It's crazy how much has changed in the last two weeks, but I agree with your thinking here. I can't see Wisconsin winning the Big 10 tourney, but if they do, I think they get the last #1 seed. It's be close between Villinova/ACC Champion, but I think Nova will get it if they win out.

Maybe it's because of the new ACC, but this has been one of the crazier finishes to a regular season in a long time. I miss the old Big East, they had the best conference tournaments...maybe the new ACC will be able to pick up where the old BE left off.

8timechamps
3/9/2014, 09:52 PM
Here's an interesting report: ESPN/Joe Lunardi's "Nitty Gritty" report (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/nitty)

According to his report, OU is a low 5 seed. I'm not exactly sure how he calculates the seeds, but based on some of the numbers, I'd put OU in a low 3 high 4 seeding. Anyway, he still thinks KU is a 1 seed, and from what I can gather it's because of their OOC SOS and opponent SOS. Otherwise, I can't see how he would still think they're a 1 seed.

Temujin
3/10/2014, 11:35 AM
Forget KU and a #1 seed, that's done. Either Virginia or Wisc.

Depending on the Big 10 tourney, I can see Michigan stealing a #1 over Wisconsin.

Sooner95
3/11/2014, 07:13 PM
Amazingly this is not that far fetched...

Sooner95
3/14/2014, 08:00 PM
Well...at this point I think it's whomever is left standing out of that group...lol Crazy.

SoonerorLater
3/15/2014, 08:52 AM
If you get a Duke / UVA matchup in the ACC Final then I think the winner gets the last 1 slot. Winner may get it anyway.

Eielson
3/16/2014, 03:51 PM
UVA seems to have finally solved the 1 seed mystery.

Eielson
3/16/2014, 05:16 PM
We're a 5 seed! Lovin' our bracket!

JLEW1818
3/16/2014, 05:18 PM
Good pull

Sooner95
3/16/2014, 05:20 PM
Yea, I like it as well.

Sooner95
3/16/2014, 05:26 PM
Midwest is loaded.

SoonerDomiNation
3/16/2014, 05:27 PM
Well lets get it started since we know who we play.......BOOMER

Eielson
3/16/2014, 05:33 PM
Wichita State got screwed over. I definitely think they're a top 2 team, and I'm not buying the overhyped talk. Kentucky in round 2 is an incredibly rough pull, and Louisville is better than a lot of 2 and 3 seeds.

SoonerorLater
3/16/2014, 05:58 PM
I think the bracketing was about as kind to us as we could have possibly expected.

birddog
3/16/2014, 06:28 PM
Experts all picking us to be upset in first game.

LRoss
3/16/2014, 06:47 PM
I don't like the draw at all personally, and see how we're a sexy upset pick. NDSU has an rpi of 34. Other 12 seeds are SF Austin = 52, Harvard = 46, NC St = 47, and Xavier = 55 (fwiw, SFA and Harvard would be a little scary, too).

All that said, no whining and no excuses, you have to play well and beat whoever you play, it's not supposed to be a cakewalk and that's why we love it. Let's get it on. Boomer!

Eielson
3/16/2014, 08:24 PM
I don't like the draw at all personally, and see how we're a sexy upset pick. NDSU has an rpi of 34. Other 12 seeds are SF Austin = 52, Harvard = 46, NC St = 47, and Xavier = 55 (fwiw, SFA and Harvard would be a little scary, too).

All that said, no whining and no excuses, you have to play well and beat whoever you play, it's not supposed to be a cakewalk and that's why we love it. Let's get it on. Boomer!

It's not about our first round draw. It's about the bracket as a whole.

LRoss
3/16/2014, 08:43 PM
Fair point, and of course San Diego St (or NM St) is very winnable in the 2nd (or what they call 3rd, whatever). After that, presumably AZ is brutal -- but you have to beat good teams, that's the whole point! Maybe we pick that moment for the biggest win of the season and then catch a break with Nebraska to go to the FF (no, I'm not serious!). So I'm not trying to whine.

What time is the game Thursday, I'm ready!

Soonerjeepman
3/16/2014, 08:43 PM
got to get pass the first game though...

birddog
3/16/2014, 08:45 PM
It's not about our first round draw. It's about the bracket as a whole.

It is about the first round draw if u get beat.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
3/16/2014, 09:21 PM
Experts all picking us to be upset in first game.

The ones I saw all chose us to win.

birddog
3/16/2014, 09:45 PM
A great indicator that no on will ever pick every game correctly on their bracket huh.

Eielson
3/17/2014, 01:57 AM
Fair point, and of course San Diego St (or NM St) is very winnable in the 2nd (or what they call 3rd, whatever). After that, presumably AZ is brutal -- but you have to beat good teams, that's the whole point! Maybe we pick that moment for the biggest win of the season and then catch a break with Nebraska to go to the FF (no, I'm not serious!). So I'm not trying to whine.

What time is the game Thursday, I'm ready!

AZ is the brutal one, but any of the 1 seeds would have been brutal in my opinion. San Diego State is very winnable, especially considering two of the other 4 seeds were Louisville and Michigan State. If we can get past Arizona (obviously a big if), I think there's a decent shot that we get a team like Baylor in the Elite 8.

Eielson
3/17/2014, 02:10 AM
It is about the first round draw if u get beat.

If we lose to ND State, then it didn't matter where we got put in the bracket. ND State is a good team, and it is by no means a blowoff game, but if we can't beat them, then we probably wouldn't beat anybody in the field of 32.

Temujin
3/17/2014, 09:22 AM
I think the bracketing was about as kind to us as we could have possibly expected.

That's probably because they were busy figuring out how to screw Wichita State.

The one thing I don't care for - 3 Big XII teams in the same region. But...I don't see any team in our region that's unbeatable either. I actually think this is about as good as it can be for OU.

8timechamps
3/17/2014, 05:05 PM
That's probably because they were busy figuring out how to screw Wichita State.

The one thing I don't care for - 3 Big XII teams in the same region. But...I don't see any team in our region that's unbeatable either. I actually think this is about as good as it can be for OU.

I didn't really like the 3 Big XII teams in the same bracket either, but when you get 7 teams in, it's going to either be that, or a region with more than three. There wasn't much the committee could do that would have been much different.

As for Wichita State, I'm still not sure they are as good as their record, but they are going to get a chance to prove it, and that's all they could really ask for. After you get past opening weekend, there aren't any "easy" games for anyone.

I'm intrigued by the potential Oklahoma State/Arizona match-up. U of A could be getting more than they bargained for.

Kinda bummed that we could see San Diego State again, but I do think we are the better team this year (unlike last year).

Lot's of interesting story lines this year.

hawaii 5-0
3/17/2014, 07:22 PM
Is there gonna be a SoonerFans Pool ?

5-0

Eielson
3/17/2014, 07:49 PM
2003 - Butler makes a Sweet 16 run. As many of you fondly remember, Hollis Price and company ended that Cinderalla season.
2006 - Wichita State makes a Sweet 16 run. They lost to George Mason, a team that they had beaten twice in the regular season.

2010 - Butler loses in the championship game
2013 - Wichita State loses to eventual National Champion Louisville in the Final Four

2011 - Butler returns to the championship game without their star player.
2014 - Wichita State returns in full force, and...

Salt City Sooner
3/17/2014, 10:39 PM
2003 - Butler makes a Sweet 16 run. As many of you fondly remember, Hollis Price and company ended that Cinderalla season.
2006 - Wichita State makes a Sweet 16 run. They lost to George Mason, a team that they had beaten twice in the regular season.

2010 - Butler loses in the championship game
2013 - Wichita State loses to eventual National Champion Louisville in the Final Four

2011 - Butler returns to the championship game without their star player.
2014 - Wichita State returns in full force, and...
They only played GMU once in the regular season that year (bracket busters game @ Koch I happened to be at) & lost by 3. They did beat GMU @ their house the next season though.

Blue
3/17/2014, 10:41 PM
I didn't really like the 3 Big XII teams in the same bracket either, but when you get 7 teams in, it's going to either be that, or a region with more than three. There wasn't much the committee could do that would have been much different.

I'm just a caveman, but your math scares and frightens me...;)

Soonerjeepman
3/18/2014, 09:07 AM
lol...yeah, hmmm, 7/4....2 in 3 brackets 1 in the other...

I do think WSU got screwed. Myabe they haven't played the toughest schedule...but they won ALL their games. I wouldn't say they are the overall 1, but definitely should have gotten the 2nd #1. UK an 8 seed? UL a 4? wth....

Eielson
3/18/2014, 09:52 AM
They only played GMU once in the regular season that year (bracket busters game @ Koch I happened to be at) & lost by 3. They did beat GMU @ their house the next season though.

You're right. I had that all mixed up.

I knew that GMU had barely gotten an at-large bid that year, and I had thought they were in the same conference. I was thinking that Wichita State got the automatic berth and won the conference, but on second look, it appears that both teams got at-large bids, and they're not in the same conference. I guess that's what I get for going off the top of my head. I knew a woman that told me she had them both in her Sweet 16 before the tournament started, and I almost felt sorry for her. That year completely changed my perspective on mid-majors.

Eielson
3/18/2014, 09:55 AM
Also, I like having the 8, 5, and 6 seeds in the same bracket. It increases the odds of a Final Four team tremendously. If OU is playing OSU for a trip to the Elite 8, then that's a really good thing for the conference. If OU is playing Baylor for a trip to the Final Four, that would be amazing for the conference. Regardless, this better not vault OSU into having an actual dream season. I've seen a lot of people picking OSU to beat Arizona, which I would not be opposed to, but if they beat us I'd vomit.

Temujin
3/18/2014, 01:25 PM
Also, I like having the 8, 5, and 6 seeds in the same bracket. It increases the odds of a Final Four team tremendously. If OU is playing OSU for a trip to the Elite 8, then that's a really good thing for the conference. If OU is playing Baylor for a trip to the Final Four, that would be amazing for the conference. Regardless, this better not vault OSU into having an actual dream season. I've seen a lot of people picking OSU to beat Arizona, which I would not be opposed to, but if they beat us I'd vomit.

Funny thing is that if all things fall exactly right (would take a miracle), once we get to the sweet 16, we could play only Big 12 teams all the way to through the national championship. Hehe.

Temujin
3/18/2014, 01:30 PM

I do think WSU got screwed. Myabe they haven't played the toughest schedule...but they won ALL their games. I wouldn't say they are the overall 1, but definitely should have gotten the 2nd #1. UK an 8 seed? UL a 4? wth....

Yeah, I was indifferent about WSU before the bracket came out. I used to live in Wichita and they sucked most of my life, but while I've thought their run last year and this year was kinda cool, I really didn't care that much. But after watching them get the shaft in this bracket, I'm actually going to root hard for them to make history.

birddog
3/18/2014, 02:14 PM
If we lose to ND State, then it didn't matter where we got put in the bracket. ND State is a good team, and it is by no means a blowoff game, but if we can't beat them, then we probably wouldn't beat anybody in the field of 32.

Other than "texass sucks", this is the most obvious post I've seen here. Of course it doesnt matter where we're placed in the bracket if we lose. High seeds struggle all the time their first game then hammer the next team because of matchups, talent, and foul trouble. We have a good chance to win two games because of Lon and I'll consider this season a success if we just win one game. We aren't an nc built program, we support the Sooners because that's what we know.

Eielson
3/18/2014, 02:30 PM
Other than "texass sucks", this is the most obvious post I've seen here.

I disagreed with you...so that's weird.

birddog
3/18/2014, 03:05 PM
Heh.

badger
3/18/2014, 04:04 PM
Every Big 12 tourney game (even the OU women's one on Saturday) is up on vBookie now. I was late to the party on WVU's NIT game tonight, so I will do their next one if they win tonight. And if they don't... well, don't you get used to losing after awhile? Betting lines are courtesy of oddsshark. If you have any favorite players you want me to include in vBetting options, let me or flak know

8timechamps
3/18/2014, 05:06 PM
I'm just a caveman, but your math scares and frightens me...;)

Hahahaha.

For some reason, I was only accounting for 3 regionals (thinking that dividing 7 teams through those three would require a region with at least 3 Big XII teams). I realized it after I posted, but didn't go back and edit because I am lazy. Well done Blue, you passed the first of 38 tests to become board wizard.

Blue
3/18/2014, 07:23 PM
<puts on robe and wizard hat...>.

badger
3/19/2014, 08:22 AM
I have vUpdated the OU game on vBookie. As it turns out, there will not be any WVU NIT events. Way to make the Big 12 look strong, mountie. We should totally send you back to the Big East with a bow for that... but then you'd never be able to play football again

Eielson
3/19/2014, 09:31 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2014/en/entry?entryID=7240327

Obama continues his tradition of picking OU to get upset early in the tournament. Hopefully his tradition of being wrong continues.

birddog
3/19/2014, 03:15 PM
Wow. That's noteworthy.

Temujin
3/19/2014, 05:04 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2014/en/entry?entryID=7240327

Obama continues his tradition of picking OU to get upset early in the tournament. Hopefully his tradition of being wrong continues.

All he did was photocopy the ESPN consensus bracket. His bracket is essentially a play-by-play of ESPN talking points for the last 4-5 days.

Curly Bill
3/19/2014, 05:40 PM
All he did was photocopy the ESPN consensus bracket. His bracket is essentially a play-by-play of ESPN talking points for the last 4-5 days.

He's good at continually going over the talking points.

Eielson
3/19/2014, 06:10 PM

Exactly my thoughts. If I remember right, the first bracket he did looked like he did it by himself, and it was absolutely horrible for the first round or two. Ever since then, it's tended to look almost exactly like the consensus bracket. I think he's having somebody fill out his bracket for him, and then puts his own little twists on (like picking OU to be upset). He had OU getting upset in the second round in our Elite 8 run.

Curly Bill
3/19/2014, 06:34 PM
I've heard several of the "analyst" pick OU to be upset round 1.

I haven't paid close enough attention to OU or anyone else this year to make an informed decision.

SoonerorLater
3/19/2014, 07:01 PM
I think there is a little too much love for NDSU in the media. I watched some of the game they played against Notre Dame (which they won). OU should be able to handle these guys. I hope OU decides to play in full court mode and not just try to turn this into a 3 point shooting contest.

badger
3/20/2014, 08:30 AM
I think there is a little too much love for NDSU in the media

I think they're confusing their football upsets with their potential for basketball upsets. The fact that they have a goofy coach that the media loves doesn't help. Have you all seen his press conference quotes? They're very silly and quotable

8timechamps
3/20/2014, 03:49 PM
I think there is a little too much love for NDSU in the media. I watched some of the game they played against Notre Dame (which they won). OU should be able to handle these guys. I hope OU decides to play in full court mode and not just try to turn this into a 3 point shooting contest.

The media wants to cite their win over Notre Dame as a big win, but Notre Dame wasn't that great this year. If this game were a match-up between a 11/6 or 13/4 I don't think NDSU would be the media favorite. Everyone wants to pick the 12/5 upset, and Harvard just took care of that (of course it can happen more than once, but I think folks were reaching when picking NDSU).

Eielson
3/20/2014, 05:00 PM
I think the media would like NDSU regardless. If I were to not look at the top 10 seeds, the three teams I would have picked as likely mid-major bracket busters it would have been:

1. SFA
2. Harvard
3. NDSU

I'm not huge on the 12/5 thing, though. I can't seem to get my hands on the statistics, but I think the numbers only slightly deviate from what's expected for the 12/5. 10/7 upsets are considerably more frequent, and 9/8 upsets are WAY more frequent. Those just don't register as "upsets." It makes sense that more 12 seeds win than 13 seeds, more 13 seeds win than 14 seeds, etc. If I remember right, 11 seeds do better in the first round than 12 seeds, but it's only slightly better, so I guess that does show some "magic," but not much.

I don't have the statistics in front of me, but I'd bet that there are more 12 seeds in the Sweet 16 than 9, 10, and 11 seeds. That's just a product of the bracket, though. The 8 seeds are better than the 12 seeds, but they get matched up against a 1 seed in the second round.

Eielson
3/22/2014, 12:06 AM
I think the media would like NDSU regardless. If I were to not look at the top 10 seeds, the three teams I would have picked as likely mid-major bracket busters it would have been:

1. SFA
2. Harvard
3. NDSU

I just want to brag on myself for a second.

I'm not huge on the 12/5 thing, though.

And now I'm going to come back to Earth. If NC State hadn't blown a double digit lead in the second half and lost in OT, all the 12 seeds would have won against the 5 seeds. Harvard beat Cincy, and SFA beat VCU.

birddog
3/22/2014, 10:03 AM
Go Baylor and Iowa state? Why not, and throw in Hoffman's bears.

SoonerMarkVA
3/22/2014, 10:30 AM
What I get from the first round, if nothing else, is the XII was overrated as a conference.

birddog
3/22/2014, 10:52 AM
Lets see how texass, ku, baylor, and isu finish before we go that far.

Eielson
3/22/2014, 11:06 AM
What I get from the first round, if nothing else, is the XII was overrated as a conference.

I worried that we might get "exposed" in this tournament. We're deep, but with Embiid out, we don't have a single great team. Having said that, the first round went just about as planned. OSU and KSU lost, but they were expected to lose. OU is the only Big XII team that got upset. We went 4-1 in games where we were favored, so that's pretty good. KU, ISU, and Baylor all have winnable games, so we'll see how they go. 30% of a conference in the Sweet 16 would look pretty good.