PDA

View Full Version : Court OKs School ban on American Flag on cinco de mayo.

okie52
2/28/2014, 03:02 PM
Court: School OK to Ban Flag Shirts on Cinco de Mayo
Friday, 28 Feb 2014 06:59 AM

A Northern California high school's decision to order students wearing American flag T-shirts to turn the garments inside out during a celebration of the holiday Cinco de Mayo was appropriate, a federal appeals court ruled Thursday.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the school officials' concerns of racial violence outweighed students' freedom of expression rights. Administrators feared the American-flag shirts would enflame the passions of Latino students celebrating the Mexican holiday. Live Oak High School, in the San Jose suburb of Morgan Hill, had a history of problems between white and Latino students on that day.

The unanimous three-judge panel said past problems gave school officials sufficient and justifiable reasons for their actions. The court said schools have wide latitude in curbing certain civil rights to ensure campus safety.

"Our role is not to second-guess the decision to have a Cinco de Mayo celebration or the precautions put in place to avoid violence," Judge M. Margaret McKeown wrote for the panel. The past events "made it reasonable for school officials to proceed as though the threat of a potentially violent disturbance was real," she wrote.

Latest: Do You Support Giving Illegals Citizenship? Vote Here Now
The case garnered national attention as many expressed outrage that students were barred from wearing patriotic clothing. The Ann Arbor, Mich.-based American Freedom Law Center, a politically conservative legal aid foundation, and other similar organizations took up the students' case and sued the high school and the school district.

William Becker, one of the lawyers representing the students, said he plans to ask a special 11-judge panel of the appeals court to rehear the case. Becker said he would appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court if he loses again.

"The 9th Circuit upheld the rights of Mexican students celebrating a holiday of another country over U.S. student proudly supporting this country," Becker said.

Cinco de Mayo marks the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, when Mexican troops defeated a French army of Napoleon III, then considered the mightiest military in the world. It is considered a bigger holiday in the U.S., celebrating Mexican heritage with parades and revelry in many major cities.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/US/t-shirt-flag-Cinco-Mayo/2014/02/28/id/555275#ixzz2ueHmh9aP

(sigh)...California.....

FaninAma
2/28/2014, 03:17 PM
The school is setting themselves up for a never-ending litany of legal action by parents who find any thing offensive that some how finds its way into the school. I also think they left themselves open to further legal action by not banning shirts with the flags of Mexico or any other nation.

jiminy
2/28/2014, 07:37 PM
So will they ban Mexico themed clothing for Independence Day?

I guess if you don't like what somebody is wearing, there you can start a riot over it, and the school will then ban it. That how it works?

radio
3/29/2014, 11:43 PM

I guess if you don't like what somebody is wearing, there you can start a riot over it, and the school will then ban it. That how it works?

Cinco de Mayo is not Independence Day for Mexico....They won a battle with the French and stole their accordions.:)

yermom
3/30/2014, 06:44 AM
(sigh)...California.....

William Becker, one of the lawyers representing the students, said he plans to ask a special 11-judge panel of the appeals court to rehear the case. Becker said he would appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court if he loses again.

"The 9th Circuit upheld the rights of Mexican students celebrating a holiday of another country over U.S. student proudly supporting this country," Becker said.

this has nothing to do with the non-existent rights of Mexican students to celebrate a holiday

just like there is no right to wear an American flag t-shirt. this would be like banning OU or OSU shirts because some idiot students start fights about it.

okie52
3/30/2014, 07:13 AM
this has nothing to do with the non-existent rights of Mexican students to celebrate a holiday

just like there is no right to wear an American flag t-shirt. this would be like banning OU or OSU shirts because some idiot students start fights about it.

And why would illegals sponging off american taxpayers feel the need to start fights over someone wearing an American flag.

Soonerjeepman
3/30/2014, 07:34 AM

we'll never know...until they have year round school..but that'll never happen and I would PRAY TO GOD we'd be off for a NATIONAL holiday that day.

Soonerjeepman
3/30/2014, 07:36 AM
My kid wouldn't go to school that day.

yermom
3/30/2014, 07:51 AM
And why would illegals sponging off american taxpayers feel the need to start fights over someone wearing an American flag.

always with the illegals. you know most of them are most likely anchor babies anyway

Turd_Ferguson
3/30/2014, 07:53 AM
always with the illegals. you know most of them are most likely anchor babies anyway

Guilty by association.

okie52
3/30/2014, 11:00 AM

I have no idea if they are anchors or illegals...just an educated guess that many of them are illegals.

Turd_Ferguson
3/30/2014, 02:19 PM
I have no idea if they are anchors or illegals...just an educated guess that many of them are illegals.

The fact that they had to come up with the term "anchor babies" should tell you what you need to know.

okie52
3/30/2014, 02:25 PM
The fact that they had to come up with the term "anchor babies" should tell you what you need to know.

Heh heh...aren't we lucky...

yermom
3/30/2014, 04:08 PM
none of this is the school's problem. their problem is that tempers flare on Cinco de Mayo.

you guys can continue the "i hate Mexicans" circle-jerk you guys like to have though

okie52
3/30/2014, 05:15 PM
none of this is the school's problem. their problem is that tempers flare on Cinco de Mayo.

you guys can continue the "i hate Mexicans" circle-jerk you guys like to have though

Keep groveling for the illegals and their supporters....pretty soon you can look Up to a doormat.

Soonerjeepman
3/30/2014, 05:30 PM

lol...that's funny. Talk about being judgmental...who said they hate mexicans? Why NOT punish BOTH the Mexicans and "US citizens" that cause the stink...instead they tell the NON-mexicans to suck it up. Why NOT tell the Mexicans there will be NO CELEBRATION in a PUBLIC/GOVERNEMENT school? It's NOT THIS NATIONS HOLIDAY...not one government agency celebrates it (by closing) YET.

yermom
3/30/2014, 05:49 PM
i could give a **** about Corona day or whatever they want to call it, but "rights" aren't being trampled here.

but keep trying to look like morons. you guys are great at that.

okie52
3/30/2014, 05:50 PM
Imagine a school year without a cinco de mayo celebration....

okie52
3/30/2014, 05:58 PM
i could give a **** about Corona day or whatever they want to call it, but "rights" aren't being trampled here.

How do you feel about dos Equis day?

What has sailed over your keen intellect is displaying an American flag on American soil at an American school paid for by American taxpayers should never be the cause of a dispute.

Soonerjeepman
3/30/2014, 06:01 PM

lol, well you keep coming back. Why not cancel the "celebration"? Do they have the "right" to have a celebration? Why choose to keep students from showing their support of their country (which they are LIVING IN) by wearing t-shirts? If other students can show their support for their "home" country by celebration ANOTHER nations holiday...so should the USA students.

There needs to be no celebration.

Again, everyone is so enamored with the Mexicans and afraid of being "racists" which you libs like to call folks that no one will actually say it. IT'S A MEXICAN (COUNTRY) HOLIDAY...we are in the United States...you think they celebrate July 4th in Mexico?

olevetonahill
3/30/2014, 06:31 PM

Freedom of expression aint a Right Bro?

8timechamps
3/30/2014, 07:04 PM
Imagine a school year without a cinco de mayo celebration....

I'm going to start a support group. It's going to have a kid wearing an American flag t-shirt glaring at a kid celebrating Cinco de Mayo and the heading will read "Never Forget". Then, if there's enough room, I'll have a picture of a chihuahua with a single tear running down it's face.

okie52
3/30/2014, 09:19 PM
I'm going to start a support group. It's going to have a kid wearing an American flag t-shirt glaring at a kid celebrating Cinco de Mayo and the heading will read "Never Forget". Then, if there's enough room, I'll have a picture of a chihuahua with a single tear running down it's face.

Heck...get even more graphic and put up the costs of educating every "appreciative" illegal...that'll bring tears to some eyes.

yermom
3/30/2014, 09:33 PM
Freedom of expression aint a Right Bro?

see Schools vs. Gang Colors/College Logos as a precedent in the last 20 years

olevetonahill
3/31/2014, 10:23 AM
see Schools vs. Gang Colors/College Logos as a precedent in the last 20 years

Nothing Pops up on Google on that. But surely yer not sayin the American flag is a Gang symbol?

Soonerjeepman
3/31/2014, 01:09 PM
Nothing Pops up on Google on that. But surely yer not sayin the American flag is a Gang symbol?

yep...it's the LEGAL CITIZEN Gang...which I'm a proud member of! LONG LIVE THE USA!!!

Bourbon St Sooner
3/31/2014, 01:27 PM
I like Dos Equis and tacos.

okie52
3/31/2014, 01:37 PM
I like Dos Equis and tacos.

Tuna tacos?

OU68
3/31/2014, 01:41 PM
Negra Modelo & enchiladas:biggrin:

Pricetag
4/1/2014, 01:26 PM
I think he's saying that the American flag can be used in the commission of asshaterry just the same way a red or blue bandana can. It isn't such a great symbol that anything done in its name is also inherently good.

yermom
4/1/2014, 08:04 PM
Not even that. There is no established right of free expression through clothing. They have banned plenty of things in schools with little to significance out of context

olevetonahill
4/1/2014, 08:18 PM
Not even that. There is no established right of free expression through clothing. They have banned plenty of things in schools with little to significance out of context

I think I understand what yer sayin bro. Just to be clear tho yer just talkin schools baining them right?
Cause If that WBC group can protest Funerals of Little kids and soldiers then I best be able to wear pretty much any dayum thing I please.

yermom
4/1/2014, 10:08 PM
yes, in schools. kids basically have no rights.

FaninAma
4/1/2014, 10:17 PM
yes, in schools. kids basically have no rights.
Fine....as long as they also ban the flag of that little ****hole country to the south of the US.

yermom
4/1/2014, 10:40 PM
i don't really disagree, but i doubt it happens

BigTip
4/5/2014, 10:57 PM

This is a perfect example of two problems a typical liberal has.

The first one is that they never listen to the opposing view. Either that or they have reading comprehension problems. NOBODY above this quoted post said ANYTHING even close to a disparaging remark about Mexicans.

Which leads to the second common thing among liberals. That is that they are racist. THEY are the ones that are always pointing out that the races are diffferent. They do this by accusing other people of being racist. The reality is THEY are the first ones to bring up race in a discussion.

I have begun to point this out to people so that we can put a stop to the liberal racism. As in; "Hey! YOU were the first one to mention race in this discussion."

yermom
4/6/2014, 09:01 AM
last time i checked, "Mexican" isn't a race. and even in this thread, the discussion turns into illegal talk, when that wasn't even part of the story.

and i don't see the opposing view? that's rich. i don't need to present the other side here. that's all there is. anyone with an opposing view is ad hominem'ed into leaving most of the time.

i'm sorry if i don't subscribe to the jingoism that any position against the flag is wrong because America

i'd love to hear more about how i am a "typical liberal" though.

olevetonahill
4/6/2014, 11:09 AM
last time i checked, "Mexican" isn't a race. and even in this thread, the discussion turns into illegal talk, when that wasn't even part of the story.

and i don't see the opposing view? that's rich. i don't need to present the other side here. that's all there is. anyone with an opposing view is ad hominem'ed into leaving most of the time.

i'm sorry if i don't subscribe to the jingoism that any position against the flag is wrong because America

i'd love to hear more about how i am a "typical liberal" though.

Hey Typical Libby and yer weird views, Ima have at least 1 extry ticket fer the spring Game. Ya want it?:friendly_wink:

Soonerjeepman
4/6/2014, 11:34 AM
Fine....as long as they also ban the flag of that little ****hole country to the south of the US.

ha...in the gym/cafeteria we just put up about 8 different flags of countries represented by our student population, I guess...along with the USA flag..THANK GOD. I noticed the USA flag happens to be about 2 inches higher (should be more), but unless you are looking you don't see that. Just another subtle way we are indoctrinating the students to see this country as not one, but a mix of everyone else.

yermom
4/6/2014, 12:03 PM
Hey Typical Libby and yer weird views, Ima have at least 1 extry ticket fer the spring Game. Ya want it?:friendly_wink:

i got a couple of the free print at home ones :D

we should meet up again though

olevetonahill
4/6/2014, 12:08 PM
i got a couple of the free print at home ones :D

we should meet up again though

Cool.yer didjits still the same? Ima drive up that morning Bringin my 3 Grandsons and My Prison Bitch

yermom
4/6/2014, 12:31 PM
yeah, same number

olevetonahill
4/6/2014, 12:42 PM
yeah, same number

Cool Ill call ya sat Mornin, Ima see can I just park at the Old TG spot.