PDA

View Full Version : BEAT TEXAS SATURDAY

badger
2/28/2014, 02:40 PM
3 p.m. Saturday, sold out LNC!

Cast your hate bets here. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?182836-Do-you-hate-Texas&p=4399391#post4399391)

SS.com preview here. (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209421064)

TV: Big 12 Network (KOCB Ch. 34 in OKC, KMYT Ch. 41 in Tulsa)

Radio: Sooner Radio Network (KRXO 107.7 FM, KOKC 1520 AM in Oklahoma City, KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa, Sirius 85, XM 85)

Fun fact: The Sooners are the only Big 12 team to win in Austin this season (88-85 on Jan. 4).

BEAT TEXAS and Boooommmmerrrrrrr

Soonerjeepman
2/28/2014, 04:28 PM
I would love for OU to close out with 3 wins...I think its possible. I do kind of like the 4th seed in the big 12...if it stays as is...

ksu
then the winner of osu/ku...

OU_Sooners75
2/28/2014, 08:02 PM
If we win out, won't we be 2 seed?

Eielson
2/28/2014, 08:47 PM
If we win out, won't we be 2 seed?

Other things would also have to happen (ex: ISU losing). I'm not sure what the tiebreakers are, but we could potentially win out and still go into the tournament as low as the 5 seed.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 11:37 AM
if isu doesn't lose then I'm pretty sure the highest would be the 3 seed.

Sooner95
3/1/2014, 12:28 PM
Why isn't this game on TV outside of Okla?

Anyhow, we need this win!

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 02:13 PM
I do like the Big 12 network here...prob like Big 10 where you are, show local bball games.

kevpks
3/1/2014, 03:01 PM
Texas sucks.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 04:23 PM
yup...we need to have an answer for the post...like THAT!

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 04:26 PM
we got no answer for the post...off rebounding, etc. We need to DRIVE and dish. Get them in foul trouble...

SoonerorLater
3/1/2014, 04:28 PM
we're just out manned inside especially with Spangler sitting. not much we can do about that.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 04:30 PM
again, we get called for hand checking, they don't

SoonerorLater
3/1/2014, 04:31 PM
we may not see Spangler for the rest of this half.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 04:35 PM
frickin total b**** call...these refs suck

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 04:37 PM
if we can hang on with the lead for the half without Spang that will be huge.

Gawd, I just hate big12 refs, they suck.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 04:43 PM
quick acting neal...trying to get a foul called...course, it USE to be a foul when you went THROUGH a screen...

Temujin
3/1/2014, 04:43 PM
if we can hang on with the lead for the half without Spang that will be huge.

Gawd, I just hate big12 refs, they suck.

It's been particularly bad this conference season.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 04:44 PM
now we get an illegal screen....nice

Temujin
3/1/2014, 04:45 PM
Does "over the back" EVER get called anymore???

Eielson
3/1/2014, 04:47 PM
Holland tried to dunk on Booker. Whoops! Got bailed out with a phantom call, though.

Temujin
Wow. I'm speechless. Ridiculous.

SoonerorLater
great block by Booker. I hate it when you can't make a defensive play without a whistle.

Eielson
3/1/2014, 04:49 PM
We've had some foul trouble hurting us on offense, but I'll take holding Texas to 25 in a half any day. Somebody has to block out Ridley in the second half, though.

Temujin
3/1/2014, 04:52 PM
It's like one of those pickup games where you have that one guy that calls foul every time he shoots.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 04:54 PM
It's like one of those pickup games where you have that one guy that calls foul every time he shoots.

no doubt...

Temujin
3/1/2014, 04:59 PM
Speaking of pickup games, I broke my thumb in the shootaround last night. Thought I just jammed it so I found some masking tape, taped it up and played for 2 hours. Lol. When I took the tape off it was purple so I went and had it x-rayed, and it's fractured. Oops, Lol.

SoonerorLater
3/1/2014, 05:00 PM
Texas TO's and poor perimeter shooting have helped us out though with Spangler sitting they have pounded us on the glass. I hope we try to uptempo the game in the second half. I am not impressed with Texas guard play. We should be able capitalize on that.

Temujin
3/1/2014, 05:09 PM
So, OTB isn't a foul anymore I guess.

Eielson
3/1/2014, 05:10 PM
Poor decision by Spangler. Can't pick up a third foul like that.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 05:11 PM
again, 2 bull**** fouls...the one on clark I saw nothing

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 05:12 PM
guards are going to have to win it...

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 05:13 PM
Speaking of pickup games, I broke my thumb in the shootaround last night. Thought I just jammed it so I found some masking tape, taped it up and played for 2 hours. Lol. When I took the tape off it was purple so I went and had it x-rayed, and it's fractured. Oops, Lol.

that sucks...I tore my acl last april...in the last 2 min of a rec game...1st game of the season. sucked finally been playing since Christmas, but the last few weeks I actually felt like I didn't "think" about it...even with the brace on.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 05:14 PM
Poor decision by Spangler. Can't pick up a third foul like that.

agreed, but honestly did he even touch him?

Temujin
3/1/2014, 05:17 PM
Big 12 ref decision making...

"Is the offensive player in that paint and taller than 6'8"? Award that man a foul!" Or...

"Is a player in the paint that is shorter than 6'5"? That man deserves a foul!"

Just watch...

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 05:18 PM
anticipated call...

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 05:19 PM
nice rebounding..

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 05:20 PM
c'mon boys..finish this.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 05:22 PM
I have watched a lot of big 12...not all OU and the officiating is really bad. Lots of touch fouls.....anticipated fouls. It's funny when they show replays and the guy didn't touch them. I've also noticed the big12 network guys don't say much bad about the refs...sure it's company line.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 05:25 PM
u,mmm NO dave armstrong there WAS NOT any contact, but go ahead call it.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 05:26 PM
lol...holy $hit...another blown call...shorter guy gets the call...

Temujin
3/1/2014, 05:28 PM
that sucks...I tore my acl last april...in the last 2 min of a rec game...1st game of the season. sucked finally been playing since Christmas, but the last few weeks I actually felt like I didn't "think" about it...even with the brace on.

Ouch! This was nothing, really, just a hairline. I even lucked a sweet behind the back pass bcuz of it, was losing control on a drive bcuz I couldn't grip the ball, so flipped it to a teammate who made the shot. Total luck, but I counted it, Lol!

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 05:30 PM
lol..hell yeah it counts...that's all that matters.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 05:32 PM
nice little run

Temujin
3/1/2014, 05:32 PM
Beautiful

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 05:34 PM
Ouch! This was nothing, really, just a hairline. I even lucked a sweet behind the back pass bcuz of it, was losing control on a drive bcuz I couldn't grip the ball, so flipped it to a teammate who made the shot. Total luck, but I counted it, Lol!

yeah, knee went in...body didn't. Heard the "pop"...ref was like...man that was really ugly. lol

Some girl came over (there to watch her guy I guess) and said, I'm a manager at a high school..just lay there..I preceded to tell her to leave me the **** alone, I'm good. She did. Rehab sucked.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 05:35 PM
I like the fact we only have 2 sr...I hope they guys coming in a athletic cause they weigh NOTHING>

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 05:36 PM
hate to say it but Buddy got bailed out...I wouldn't have called that.

Temujin
3/1/2014, 05:48 PM
Watching this team over the year, I really have thought that we're the 2nd best team in the conference, and we're making that statement here.

As young as we are, we are really good at maintaining our composure and confidence, even in the face of terrible calls and close games. We haven't been blown out once this year, either.

I think we have a great chance to make some noise in both tourneys.

Temujin
3/1/2014, 05:55 PM
yeah, knee went in...body didn't. Heard the "pop"...ref was like...man that was really ugly. lol

Some girl came over (there to watch her guy I guess) and said, I'm a manager at a high school..just lay there..I preceded to tell her to leave me the **** alone, I'm good. She did. Rehab sucked.

Ugh. I've broken my ankle (basketball), broken 3 bones in cheek/upper jaw (flag football), and my neck (diving, stupidly). None really required rehab tho.

Funny thing is that I used to extreme ski, too. But never got a scratch from that...despite some spectacular and hilarious wipeouts.

Sooner95
3/1/2014, 05:58 PM
Great win. Swept their ***!! Wooo!!!

BOOMER!!!!

Temujin
3/1/2014, 06:00 PM
Great win. Swept their ***!! Wooo!!!

BOOMER!!!!

Can't beat a sweep of both the pukes and the cows. Good season so far.

SoonerorLater
3/1/2014, 06:05 PM
It was a good win. Lunardi had us as a 7 seed this week. If we can win out I think OU could go into the NCAA as a 5 seed. A very important upgrade as it makes 2 tourney wins a distinct possibility.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 06:09 PM
good win, guards played well

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 06:11 PM
Ugh. I've broken my ankle (basketball), broken 3 bones in cheek/upper jaw (flag football), and my neck (diving, stupidly). None really required rehab tho.

Funny thing is that I used to extreme ski, too. But never got a scratch from that...despite some spectacular and hilarious wipeouts.

wow...cool on the skiing~ lol

8timechamps
3/1/2014, 06:27 PM
At about the 10:00 mark in the second half (when we were up by 15 or 16), we started playing a little sloppy and Texas pulled back to within something like 11...for a brief moment, I had flashbacks to last year's game in Austin. Thank goodness we reeled it back in and closed strong.

No doubt the gaurds played lights-out today, but Texas looked awful on offense. Somehow, they shot better than the Sooners (they shot 44% to our 40%). I'm not sure how that happened, because they looked terrible. I do have to credit our boys on defense, we actually showed we can play a little D.

Remember this game (and the last KU game) when the tourney rolls around. Because I'm sure we'll open a game (or two) looking terrible shooting the ball, only to come back and light up the score board.

BOOMER!

birddog
3/1/2014, 08:08 PM
Yep. Texass looked like they have really good athletes that arent great bball players. Good win for us. We have some young, decent guys coming off the bench. That'll come in handy during the tourney

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 08:53 PM
Bennett has actually played decent during the ku game and this one. Not that I want our rebounding relying on him....but he played pretty decent.

soonercastor
3/1/2014, 10:39 PM
Why aren't we ranked second in the big 12 standings right now (second seed in the tourney)?

We have a four way tie, and the tie-break rules says you look at the record of the teams involved against each other, and we have four wins (Texas twice, ISU and K State) while ISU and K state have two wins each and Texas has two.

Am I missing something?

8timechamps
3/1/2014, 11:36 PM
Why aren't we ranked second in the big 12 standings right now (second seed in the tourney)?

We have a four way tie, and the tie-break rules says you look at the record of the teams involved against each other, and we have four wins (Texas twice, ISU and K State) while ISU and K state have two wins each and Texas has two.

Am I missing something?

Now that ISU has lost to KSU, we're in a four way tie for second place. Throw out Texas because of head to head, but we've split with both ISU and KSU. I'm not 100% sure how the tiebreaker works in hoops (that's a project for tomorrow), but given the remaining schedules for both KSU and ISU, we stand a better chance at winning out than either of those two.

We should be the 2 seed in the tourney (which is in line with where I think this Sooner team is, the second best team in the conference). Not that it's a huge difference, but I'd rather see KU again in the conference championship game.

SoonerorLater
3/2/2014, 12:23 PM

Am I missing something?

I could easily be wrong on this but I think if it ended today KSU would be number 2, OU 3, ISU 4 Texas 5. I think the way this is supposed to work is the Big 12 would look at H-H. At that point you eliminate Texas and you have a 3 way tie. The 3 way tie would produce each team 1-1 against the other. At that point the Big 12 would look at the record against the higher rated teams of the conference. In this case the only team would be KU. Since KSU is the only team with a win over KU they would be seeded 2, leaving ISU and OU in a tie. You would then go to the third tiebreaker which would be your record against the rest of the conference in descending order. So the next team would be number 4 Texas who we are 2-0 against. ISU is 1-1 making OU number 3.

I think this is the way that it at least used to work. Something could have changed.

Temujin
3/2/2014, 12:36 PM
Now that ISU has lost to KSU, we're in a four way tie for second place. Throw out Texas because of head to head, but we've split with both ISU and KSU. I'm not 100% sure how the tiebreaker works in hoops (that's a project for tomorrow), but given the remaining schedules for both KSU and ISU, we stand a better chance at winning out than either of those two.

We should be the 2 seed in the tourney (which is in line with where I think this Sooner team is, the second best team in the conference). Not that it's a huge difference, but I'd rather see KU again in the conference championship game.

The reason I think we're a clear #2 in the conference is because of our offense. It's very easy to find athletes these days in college, and it's not extremely hard to turn those athletes into good defensive players eventually. But it's ALWAYS hard to find guys that can shoot well under pressure and create their own shot. I think our defense has been suspect in the early part of the season, but has gotten MUCH better over the last 2-3 games. That makes sense given the youth on our team. So we're able to play confidently even during rough stretches because we know that SOMEONE will step up and hit a big shot. We haven't been blown out all season (only double-digit loss was Michigan State), while every other Big 12 team has. I think we're going to be a good tournament-type team this year.

Salt City Sooner
3/2/2014, 03:25 PM
The first tie-breaker is head to head w/ the teams involved (OU,KSU,UT, & ISU are all tied for 2nd right now). The nod would go to OU due to everybody being 1-1 against each other with the exception of OU/UT, which was a sweep by OU. If UT falls out of that 2nd place tie, it'd go to tie breaker #2, which is record of teams vs. teams not involved in the tie breaker, since everybody involved in the tie breaker would be 1-1 against each other. That nod would go to KSU from the get go, due to their win over KU.

Long story short, we need to win out, along with UT. Fortunately for us, those are hands down the 2 teams involved with the remaining schedule most conducive to doing so (OU has WVU & @ TCU, UT has TCU & @ Tech, ISU has @ BU & home vs. OSU, & KSU has @ OSU & home vs. BU)

8timechamps
3/2/2014, 05:20 PM
The reason I think we're a clear #2 in the conference is because of our offense. It's very easy to find athletes these days in college, and it's not extremely hard to turn those athletes into good defensive players eventually. But it's ALWAYS hard to find guys that can shoot well under pressure and create their own shot. I think our defense has been suspect in the early part of the season, but has gotten MUCH better over the last 2-3 games. That makes sense given the youth on our team. So we're able to play confidently even during rough stretches because we know that SOMEONE will step up and hit a big shot. We haven't been blown out all season (only double-digit loss was Michigan State), while every other Big 12 team has. I think we're going to be a good tournament-type team this year.

Completely agree. We may not have a strong inside presence, but at just about any given time, we have at least 3 guys that can hit from the outside fairly consistently. In reality, I think we are on par with KU (and in both games, the score was determined until the very end). If we can get hot from long range, this team could make a deep run (depending of course on the draw).

8timechamps
3/2/2014, 05:22 PM
The first tie-breaker is head to head w/ the teams involved (OU,KSU,UT, & ISU are all tied for 2nd right now). The nod would go to OU due to everybody being 1-1 against each other with the exception of OU/UT, which was a sweep by OU. If UT falls out of that 2nd place tie, it'd go to tie breaker #2, which is record of teams vs. teams not involved in the tie breaker, since everybody involved in the tie breaker would be 1-1 against each other. That nod would go to KSU from the get go, due to their win over KU.

Long story short, we need to win out, along with UT. Fortunately for us, those are hands down the 2 teams involved with the remaining schedule most conducive to doing so (OU has WVU & @ TCU, UT has TCU & @ Tech, ISU has @ BU & home vs. OSU, & KSU has @ OSU & home vs. BU)

We need to win out, and we need Texas to win out. If Texas isn't in the tie breaker, we end up a 4 seed.

SoonerorLater
3/2/2014, 05:25 PM

As I understand once you are are out in the hierarchy of tiebreakers then you are no longer considered for any others. In this case Texas has the worst record against the other three tied for second so they are done. Next tiebreaker is yor recrord against the upper tier of the conference (in this case only KU) among ISU, KSU, OU the tiebreaker goes to KSU because they have the only win over KU. Here's where I'm not sure. I think the next tie breaker is against the rest of the conference in descending order or maybe road victories. In either case at his point we would be in the number three slot. So as it is today it's KU. KSU, OU, ISU, UT.

I agree we have the easiest path. If we win out it makes no difference what Texas or ISU does. If KSU drops a game then we would be number 2.

Salt City Sooner
3/2/2014, 08:58 PM
As I understand once you are are out in the hierarchy of tiebreakers then you are no longer considered for any others. In this case Texas has the worst record against the other three tied for second so they are done. Next tiebreaker is yor recrord against the upper tier of the conference (in this case only KU) among ISU, KSU, OU the tiebreaker goes to KSU because they have the only win over KU. Here's where I'm not sure. I think the next tie breaker is against the rest of the conference in descending order or maybe road victories. In either case at his point we would be in the number three slot. So as it is today it's KU. KSU, OU, ISU, UT.

I agree we have the easiest path. If we win out it makes no difference what Texas or ISU does. If KSU drops a game then we would be number 2.
See the OP in this link. UT is not thrown out if they tie, & for OU to get the 2 seed over KSU, it's pretty much mandatory that they do stay in the mix (unless KSU falls out of said tie) :

http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31120