PDA

View Full Version : OU @ KU: Act II

8timechamps
2/24/2014, 08:17 PM
Gave the Jayhawks everything they wanted in Norman earlier in the season...hope our boys can do the same tonight.

I know enough to never assume a win/loss, but I'm not going to be surprised if we drop this one. That said, the remainder of the schedule is very winnable. We're playing for a seed now.

birddog
2/24/2014, 08:21 PM
Yep. Kinda lookin forward to sitting down and watchin this one. 20 years since our last win there? Crazy

SoonerorLater
2/24/2014, 09:05 PM
A win in Lawrence would certainly pad the OU resume but a loss isn't a party killer either. A win is a longshot but isn't an impossibility.

Soonerjeepman
2/24/2014, 09:20 PM
not lookin good early, course not watching..on gametracker.

sure ALL my jayhawk fans are just waiting to blow my phone up...honestly I would expect ku to beat us and even pretty decent. Like OU playing ksu in football, OU will win much more than note so not too "excited" about it.

Soonerjeepman
2/24/2014, 09:35 PM
keeping it close...

Eielson
2/24/2014, 09:42 PM
Turned it on when it was 15-4. Needless to say, I'm pleased with what I've seen. KU fans are stunned right now.

Eielson
2/24/2014, 09:43 PM
Love all the running. Impressed we don't have a turnover yet despite the pace.

Sooner95
2/24/2014, 09:54 PM
Neither team shooting very well, having said that, will need to do better than 35% from the field to win this one. Taking care of the ball is good tho!

Eielson
2/24/2014, 09:56 PM
This is starting to wreak of the last one. Outplayed them for most of the half, and then let them go on a run at the end of the half.

Sooner95
2/24/2014, 09:57 PM
Crap. We play well then they go on a run to close the half....

Eielson
2/24/2014, 09:59 PM
Not happy with the end, but it was a good half. We only had 3 turnovers, and 2 of those were missed fouls on Embiid. The fact that Embiid has no fouls right now is a joke. He should be almost fouled out by now.

Soonerjeepman
2/24/2014, 09:59 PM
sure they are not stunned now. We went from up 4 to down 9 in about 2 min.

birddog
2/24/2014, 10:00 PM
Crap final 3 mins. From tied to down 9 in a heartbeat.

Sooner95
2/24/2014, 10:01 PM
Should be a rule we go to KU 2nd game of the conf season just to get it over with..lol

Soonerjeepman
2/24/2014, 10:08 PM
yup...sucks to live up here...lol

Sooner95
2/24/2014, 10:20 PM
Nice, come out in the 2nd half and punch them right back!

Eielson
2/24/2014, 10:20 PM
I'm almost in awe at how much influence Embiid has defensively. I sure hope he goes pro after this year. If any GM is even debating who they want at #1, they should be fired.

Eielson
2/24/2014, 10:26 PM
I guess Embiid can get fouls called on him. Only on offense, though.

Eielson
2/24/2014, 10:32 PM
I guess Embiid can get fouls called on him. Only on offense, though.

Spoke too soon. Gets away with a force out, then gets a phantom call for a three point play. Might have to turn this game off for a little bit.

kevpks
2/24/2014, 10:35 PM
Thank you Neal. Way to take a charge. The KU shots were so freaking terrible that series that they kept getting offensive rebounds off the bricks.

Temujin
2/24/2014, 10:36 PM
Every time OU drives, no foul. Every time KU drives, foul. I don't dislike KU, but I'm starting to get annoyed by all the crap they get away with.

kevpks
2/24/2014, 10:46 PM
Am I the only one who noticed that KU just ran a whole possession without the clock moving? It was at 9:18 the whole time. Was that just a TV glitch? The 35 second clock wasn't moving either.

Temujin
2/24/2014, 10:47 PM
Holy crap, a KU foul?

8timechamps
2/24/2014, 10:48 PM
Am I the only one who noticed that KU just ran a whole possession without the clock moving? It was at 9:18 the whole time. Was that just a TV glitch? The 35 second clock wasn't moving either.

If it was a TV glitch, then it happened on mine too!

kevpks
2/24/2014, 10:52 PM
Hor****. OU mauled. No foul. KU guy gets touched. Foul.

kevpks
2/24/2014, 10:54 PM
We need to make every shot. They are going to call a foul every time KU drives from here on.

Temujin
2/24/2014, 10:56 PM
Hor****. OU mauled. No foul. KU guy gets touched. Foul.

All.

Game.

Long.

Soonerjeepman
2/24/2014, 10:59 PM
my ku fan buddy was bitching about fouls...I then pointed out 16/19 13/15...who's was ku's FT...he then shut up.

Temujin
2/24/2014, 10:59 PM
Lon finally getting on the officials for the BS.

Eielson
2/24/2014, 11:00 PM
Lon finally getting on the officials for the BS.

He's been getting onto them all game.

Soonerjeepman
2/24/2014, 11:01 PM
I am impressed with the way OU played...even without watching. Hung tough but just not enough...too many mistakes.

Temujin
2/24/2014, 11:02 PM
Well, we're going to lose a game that we really should've won, if it had been called remotely fair...but man I really like the way we've played today. And on the road no less.

picasso
2/24/2014, 11:04 PM
I'll hate KU for anyone that doesn't.

Temujin
2/24/2014, 11:06 PM
I'll hate KU for anyone that doesn't.

I don't hate KU, but I hate that the Big 12 refs feel the need to give them extra help.

Soonerjeepman
2/24/2014, 11:06 PM
well...a tough loss but not horrible. Tighter game than I thought.

Soonerjeepman
2/24/2014, 11:07 PM
I don't hate KU, but I hate that the Big 12 refs feel the need to give them extra help.

have to protect the conf ONLY hope of a #1 seed...

Eielson
2/24/2014, 11:09 PM
If we keep this within single digits, we'll be the first ones to do it in conference play.

picasso
2/24/2014, 11:09 PM
You must have not experienced the mid to late 80's.
I actually have met Bill Self and I knew Joe Holliday but the KU fanbase and things that have happened back in the day leave me sour.

Soonerjeepman
2/24/2014, 11:10 PM
they got 5 guys in double figures we don't. 2 more 3's, they made 21 FT to our 15/20

Temujin
2/24/2014, 11:11 PM
Hmmm...cheaters actually DO win. Who knew?

Soonerjeepman
2/24/2014, 11:11 PM
crap, now we foul...going to be a DD win..not even close to the actual game...ugh~

Soonerjeepman
2/24/2014, 11:14 PM
I actually have met Bill Self and I knew Joe Holliday but the KU fanbase and things that have happened back in the day leave me sour.

believe me...living up here...they are horrible. They don't give a crap about any other sport at ku but basketball and then they are the most obnoxious a-holes ever...

Temujin
2/24/2014, 11:14 PM

No I understand, I really do. I'm torn. On the one hand, I'm 11 years old when OU loses to KU in the 1988 final, and as I'm walking downtown in Wichita with my dad, KU fans are pointing at me (I'm wearing an OU hat) and saying, "Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, F*** OU".

On the other hand, my grandparents on my dad's side are huge KU fans.

So, I compromised and decided to just hate Wichita.

Eielson
2/24/2014, 11:16 PM
Yay! We held them to a single digit win!

I'd have taken that heading into the game, but it sure doesn't feel good right now.

kevpks
2/24/2014, 11:18 PM
I'd love another shot at this NBA minor league team in the conference tournament.

Eielson
2/24/2014, 11:18 PM
I hope we get matched up with them in the tournament at some point. I think we can take them down. We'd have beat them on a neutral court tonight.

birddog
2/24/2014, 11:19 PM
We've got a good, solid team. The kind of team that can win a game or two in the dance because our guards put a lot of pressure on defenses and we have a coach that will be better than most.

Temujin
2/24/2014, 11:20 PM
believe me...living up here...they are horrible. They don't give a crap about any other sport at ku but basketball and then they are the most obnoxious a-holes ever...

I'm in KC, too Jeep. I don't find the fans here NEARLY as obnoxious as they were in Wichita. KSU fans are worse, especially in Wichita. It's brutal all around in this retarded-a** state, but I promise that it's worse in Wichita, Lawrence, and Manhattan (and Salina for that matter) than it is here in KC.

picasso
2/24/2014, 11:20 PM
No I understand, I really do. I'm torn. On the one hand, I'm 11 years old when OU loses to KU in the 1988 final, and as I'm walking downtown in Wichita with my dad, KU fans are pointing at me (I'm wearing an OU hat) and saying, "Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, F*** OU".

On the other hand, my grandparents on my dad's side are huge KU fans.

So, I compromised and decided to just hate Wichita.

Ha! I hear ya. My cousin played golf there. As Jeeper said though, their fans are the basketball version of UT football fans.

Temujin
2/24/2014, 11:30 PM
Ha! I hear ya. My cousin played golf there. As Jeeper said though, their fans are the basketball version of UT football fans.

Yeah, a lot of them are. A lot of my family are big KU fans, but I don't disagree that most of them are arrogant and delusional. Just listen to that stupid crowd tonight. One play sums it up - their #25 grabs Spangler and drags him to the ground and the officials call a foul on him...and the fans boo as Spangler is shooting the FTs. Why they thought that was a bad call was a mystery to me, but they were doing that crap all night. Or when Embiid shoves Clark back 15-feet and the crowd starts a classy little B.S. chant.

In fact, what the hell is with all the booing at KU, KSU, and ISU games? I realize those places don't have s**t to do, but damn, get a life people.

kevpks
2/24/2014, 11:37 PM
KU looks pretty sloppy. Admittedly, I haven't watched a lot of their games but that does not look like a Final Four team to me.

Soonerjeepman
2/24/2014, 11:45 PM
I'm in KC, too Jeep. I don't find the fans here NEARLY as obnoxious as they were in Wichita. KSU fans are worse, especially in Wichita. It's brutal all around in this retarded-a** state, but I promise that it's worse in Wichita, Lawrence, and Manhattan (and Salina for that matter) than it is here in KC.
lol...agree, I grew up in Wichita...196 fellow hs grads...130 went to ku...ugh. I was 25 or so in 1988, and I had a guy throw the newspaper up in his car window as he drove by..(I had an OU hat sitting in the back window - cool back then). Course this was way before ksu was anything in football...lived through that **** as well...

Soonerjeepman
2/24/2014, 11:49 PM
Yeah, a lot of them are. A lot of my family are big KU fans, but I don't disagree that most of them are arrogant and delusional. Just listen to that stupid crowd tonight. One play sums it up - their #25 grabs Spangler and drags him to the ground and the officials call a foul on him...and the fans boo as Spangler is shooting the FTs. Why they thought that was a bad call was a mystery to me, but they were doing that crap all night. Or when Embiid shoves Clark back 15-feet and the crowd starts a classy little B.S. chant.

In fact, what the hell is with all the booing at KU, KSU, and ISU games? I realize those places don't have s**t to do, but damn, get a life people.

basketball is a ku fan's life...lol. I guess if OU had more bball fans we'd hear them boo. I will say, I don't get the OU fans that only care about football....sounds stupid, but I follow all the sports. I think it's great the gym teams, softball, baseball, hell even tennis is ranked. And I didn't even go to OU.

Temujin
2/25/2014, 12:02 AM
lol...agree, I grew up in Wichita...196 fellow hs grads...130 went to ku...ugh. I was 25 or so in 1988, and I had a guy throw the newspaper up in his car window as he drove by..(I had an OU hat sitting in the back window - cool back then). Course this was way before ksu was anything in football...lived through that **** as well...

Ugh. The only fans I've ever known to brag when they LOSE (1992, 2000).

Hilarious story - OU beats KSU 41-31 in Manhattan. But that game wasn't even remotely close. We were up 38-14 before Stoops pulled the starters. KSU made a late 4th quarter run while Stoops was trying to run out time on the clock. Regardless, all I heard from KSU fans is how they were so close to coming back, and that they were going to beat us in the Big XIII championship. My uncle and I go to his friend's house to watch the game, and they've got 2 milk crates set out with Kleenex boxes on them and a sign that said, "OU Cheering Section". When it became more and more apparent that OU was going to win, my uncle and I took the Kleenexes and wiped up our tears of joy as dramatically as possible. Then we pulled out our oranges and peeled them. :)

I don't mind a little friendly ribbing by opponent's fans, but KU and KSU fans will curse you out just for being near an OU logo. I don't know why they hate OU so much, but I don't hold them in high regard either.

Temujin
2/25/2014, 12:11 AM
basketball is a ku fan's life...lol. I guess if OU had more bball fans we'd hear them boo. I will say, I don't get the OU fans that only care about football....sounds stupid, but I follow all the sports. I think it's great the gym teams, softball, baseball, hell even tennis is ranked. And I didn't even go to OU.

I like all OU sports, but I can't say I follow them. I walked onto OU FB, but only spent 2 weeks there (I'm too lazy, lol). I mainly follow football and basketball, just because those have always been the most interesting to me. I still play some recreational BB, so I get almost as pumped for OU BB as I do FB. I like playing and watching tennis, but since OU tennis isn't on TV often, I don't really follow it.

Eielson
2/25/2014, 01:01 AM
KU looks pretty sloppy. Admittedly, I haven't watched a lot of their games but that does not look like a Final Four team to me.

Whatever we decide they'll do, they'll probably do the opposite. Kansas just loves to **** people off come tournament time.

hawaii 5-0
2/25/2014, 02:12 AM
Tuff loss but a valiant effort.

The Sooners kept fighting back time and again.

Sure I'd like a win but I was happy the game was respectable. No blow out.

5-0

Salt City Sooner
2/25/2014, 03:09 AM
Ugh. The only fans I've ever known to brag when they LOSE (1992, 2000).

Hilarious story - OU beats KSU 41-31 in Manhattan. But that game wasn't even remotely close. We were up 38-14 before Stoops pulled the starters. KSU made a late 4th quarter run while Stoops was trying to run out time on the clock. Regardless, all I heard from KSU fans is how they were so close to coming back, and that they were going to beat us in the Big XIII championship. My uncle and I go to his friend's house to watch the game, and they've got 2 milk crates set out with Kleenex boxes on them and a sign that said, "OU Cheering Section". When it became more and more apparent that OU was going to win, my uncle and I took the Kleenexes and wiped up our tears of joy as dramatically as possible. Then we pulled out our oranges and peeled them. :)

I don't mind a little friendly ribbing by opponent's fans, but KU and KSU fans will curse you out just for being near an OU logo. I don't know why they hate OU so much, but I don't hold them in high regard either.
I hate siding w/ your KSU buddies, but they're right re: 2000 OU-KSU. When OU got cute & called that halfback option pass by Works that got picked off, KSU had the ball with a chance to tie it up (score was 38-31) midway through the 4th. Fortunately, the OU D buckled down & got the stop, & drove down to get that last FG w/ 3 1/2 to go.

Boomer.....
2/25/2014, 08:27 AM
Free throws really hurt us. They went to the line 10 more times and made 11 more free throws than us.

Great effort and resiliency by the team though.

badger
2/25/2014, 09:31 AM
I couldn't suffer through two Sooner losses against the once and future Big 12 champs on the same night, so I went to bed when it was tied (Jordan had just missed a shot that would have put OU up) so that I could dream about the potential for a Phog victory.

Sadly, OU loses at Baylor on the women's side (we actually made it close near the end) and at Kansas on the men's side. But, at least we fought in both games. At least we looked legit and didn't get blown out of either building. It nice to make the champs squirm a bit in their own house.

Soonerjeepman
2/25/2014, 09:37 AM
I like all OU sports, but I can't say I follow them. I walked onto OU FB, but only spent 2 weeks there (I'm too lazy, lol). I mainly follow football and basketball, just because those have always been the most interesting to me. I still play some recreational BB, so I get almost as pumped for OU BB as I do FB. I like playing and watching tennis, but since OU tennis isn't on TV often, I don't really follow it.

lol...that's cool, when did you walk on? I don't watch a lot of other sports...I do watch softball, baseball, bball (both) football when on TV. I coached girls bball, as well as boys so I have a little soft spot for girls sports. My sister played at ksu in the late 70's early 80's. I usually just check out the official website.

OU_Sooners75
2/25/2014, 09:41 AM
Okay, so I am going to vent, one time in this thread, and one time only.

When will the officials stop being scared of KU and ref an fair game ALL game long?

At the half, KU had 5 guys with 2 fouls each. By the end of the game, those same 5 had just 3 fouls. You cannot tell me 4 of your starters and your 6th man has foul tendencies in the first half come out and foul just one time?

Free throws at the half, OU had 4 more. KU finished with 10 more. Granted 6 of them came late when OU was purposely fouling.

In the first 8 minutes of the second half, KU scored 14 points, yet they only scored 2 FGs (2 pointers).

During OU's 10-2 run to open second half (first 4 minutes of second half), 5 (non shooting) fouls called against OU, zero for KU.

Down the stretch when the game was still in doubt and OU was within one score. KU went to the line more than double OU. KU also got called for less fouls in that that stretch.

Then there was a play where Woodard took a shot that threw him across the paint. No call.

Lon Kruger and his staff rarely jump all over the refs, but around the 3 minute mark, you see two assistants, and even Lon bitching out the ref near their bench for the BS officiating. I have never seen OU's sideline that livid (under Kruger). And the ref sat there and took it because he knew Kruger and his coaches had a legitimate complaint.

OU will never win another game at KU unless the officials stop being so blantantly against KU's opponents. Hell, when KU came to Norman, they still got quite a few of the calls.

I honestly believe, if OU played KU with non-biased officials, OU would beat the living hell out of KU.

Soonerjeepman
2/25/2014, 10:19 AM
I didn't see the game. I will say for the most of the game the foul count was in OU's favor, minus the last 3 min. Even with a plus foul count ku was still shooting as many FTs, that tells you the TYPE of foul. The is the problem; the type of fouls....Ku's opponents get called for shooting fouls, so either an and 1 or 2 shot for ku, where as ku gets called for non shooting fouls.

I say one replay where a ku guy drove the lane, was fouled (I guess) ON THE FLOOR, took 2 steps and a I believe a dribble and made the basket, they called the basket good plus one.

the big 12 can't let the lone possibility of a #1 seed from the #1 conf not get that~

badger
2/25/2014, 11:19 AM
For the moments I tuned in, Bill Self and KU fans were miffed that they were called for two offensive fouls in a row. It was early in the second half when the game was tied, don't recall who the butt pusher was that got called for his excessive butt pushing :)

I imagine that it doesn't come down to foul count, but rather, when the fouls were called and what they were for. In that category, I'm sure KU got favorable treatment, as the refs want to leave Phog alive

I walked onto OU FB

That's like instead fan cred for the rest of your life right there :)

Van Wilder
2/25/2014, 01:06 PM

When will the officials stop being scared of KU and ref an fair game ALL game long?

At the half, KU had 5 guys with 2 fouls each. By the end of the game, those same 5 had just 3 fouls. You cannot tell me 4 of your starters and your 6th man has foul tendencies in the first half come out and foul just one time?

Free throws at the half, OU had 4 more. KU finished with 10 more. Granted 6 of them came late when OU was purposely fouling.

In the first 8 minutes of the second half, KU scored 14 points, yet they only scored 2 FGs (2 pointers).

During OU's 10-2 run to open second half (first 4 minutes of second half), 5 (non shooting) fouls called against OU, zero for KU.

Down the stretch when the game was still in doubt and OU was within one score. KU went to the line more than double OU. KU also got called for less fouls in that that stretch.

Then there was a play where Woodard took a shot that threw him across the paint. No call.

Lon Kruger and his staff rarely jump all over the refs, but around the 3 minute mark, you see two assistants, and even Lon bitching out the ref near their bench for the BS officiating. I have never seen OU's sideline that livid (under Kruger). And the ref sat there and took it because he knew Kruger and his coaches had a legitimate complaint.

OU will never win another game at KU unless the officials stop being so blantantly against KU's opponents. Hell, when KU came to Norman, they still got quite a few of the calls.

I honestly believe, if OU played KU with non-biased officials, OU would beat the living hell out of KU.

I agree whole heartedly. Our guys were gettting mauled when they went to the basket and no call would be made meanwhile at the other end there were a few times we didnt even touch their guy and fouls were called even the announcers were making comments about it.

Temujin
2/25/2014, 02:24 PM
lol...that's cool, when did you walk on? I don't watch a lot of other sports...I do watch softball, baseball, bball (both) football when on TV. I coached girls bball, as well as boys so I have a little soft spot for girls sports. My sister played at ksu in the late 70's early 80's. I usually just check out the official website.

The summer of 1994. The thing is, I played FB for fun, so I didn't have an interest in doing things like lifting weights, etc. I didn't care for the college scene either, so I just left college altogether. Looking back, I might've been a bench contributor over time if I'd put in the work. So it was probably a dumb decision, but everything worked out fine. I like where I'm at now. :)

I loved (and still do) to play sports, though. I played anything if I could find someone willing to play. Basketball, tennis, ping pong...it didn't really matter to me. I had my favorites and a few sports I was better at, but I was just a junkie for any sport I could find to play.

Temujin
2/25/2014, 02:46 PM

I completely agree.

Duke Edsall was the ref you're talking about. But the guy that I think is the main problem is Mike Stuart. He's officiated dozens of KU games and the foul count is almost always heavily in favor of KU. It was truly absurd last night.

Like it's been said, nearly every time KU would drive, they'd call a foul if an OU player did anything except play matador. Yet every time OU would drive into the paint (which is basically our entire offense), the player would get mauled and come away without a whistle.

I get that KU has more talent than most teams, including OU. But they're also extremely sloppy, and this is a game that we should've won if things were even.

But in a way, that's why I'm extremely happy with this team, and where we're headed. We only have 2 seniors and 2 juniors on the roster, and most of the contributors/starters are freshman/sophomore. But we played like veterans. We kept our head most of the game, played with a clear 5 on 8 disadvantage, and against a loaded top team in the country on the road...and were in a position to win through most of the game. I'll take it, even if it's technically a loss.

Temujin
2/25/2014, 02:58 PM
For the moments I tuned in, Bill Self and KU fans were miffed that they were called for two offensive fouls in a row. It was early in the second half when the game was tied, don't recall who the butt pusher was that got called for his excessive butt pushing :)

I imagine that it doesn't come down to foul count, but rather, when the fouls were called and what they were for. In that category, I'm sure KU got favorable treatment, as the refs want to leave Phog alive

That's like instead fan cred for the rest of your life right there :)

Ha, believe me, it's nothing special and I honestly don't mean to sound like I'm bragging about it. This was in the 90s and I certainly wasn't that good...and I was by no means motivated either. I think I was accepted mainly because I was tall (6'3") and fairly fast (mid-4s). But I was also 155 lbs. and thin as a twig. I was never even on the official roster, just attended some initial non-contact, non-padded practices and stuff. Had I actually played in a college game, I probably would've been killed. LOL

Soonerjeepman
2/25/2014, 04:07 PM
My cousin, Eric Huffman was manager in the mid 90's. Know him? Out of White Deer, Tx.

I'll just laugh my *** off when they lose in the big dance to someone they shouldn't...and the masses here will be cryin a river.

badger
2/25/2014, 04:34 PM
I'll just laugh my *** off when they lose in the big dance to someone they shouldn't...and the masses here will be cryin a river.

It's very hard to gauge which KU team will show up in the tourney --- the one who wins the Big 12 every year, or the one who loses to TCU last season.

I'd say that after their early season struggles, they are looking at a first or second round exit again. Of course, they could also end up in a region with teams just as overrated as them

Soonerjeepman
2/25/2014, 04:43 PM
what is crazy is, I honestly think self is pretty decent coach...at least recruiting wise...and they have the talent, no argument...but they sure play soft.

8timechamps
2/25/2014, 06:59 PM
I rarely get worked up over poor officiating, but last night was an exception. I think the refs were intimidated to make the calls against KU.

Anyway, KU (on paper) is the toughest match-up we've faced all year, and in both occasions, the game was in doubt right 'til the end. I'm just not that impressed with KU this year. They're good, but not in the same league as Syracuse and Duke.

Oh well, hopefully that'll be the last loss the rest of the way. We're still technically in the hunt for a 2 seed in the conference tourney, so wins will count.

Temujin
2/25/2014, 07:33 PM
My cousin, Eric Huffman was manager in the mid 90's. Know him? Out of White Deer, Tx.

LOL, too true.

I don't recognize the name. :(

Temujin
2/25/2014, 07:35 PM
what is crazy is, I honestly think self is pretty decent coach...at least recruiting wise...and they have the talent, no argument...but they sure play soft.

I was thinking the same thing. They're CLEARLY bigger than us, but we were much more physical. Then they tried to get physical back at us, and for them that meant grabbing, pulling, and fouling.

Temujin
2/25/2014, 07:37 PM
I rarely get worked up over poor officiating, but last night was an exception. I think the refs were intimidated to make the calls against KU.

Anyway, KU (on paper) is the toughest match-up we've faced all year, and in both occasions, the game was in doubt right 'til the end. I'm just not that impressed with KU this year. They're good, but not in the same league as Syracuse and Duke.

Oh well, hopefully that'll be the last loss the rest of the way. We're still technically in the hunt for a 2 seed in the conference tourney, so wins will count.

I wish I could say the same. LOL. I hate bad officiating, even if it benefits us. I won't complain as much, of course, but it still annoys me.

8timechamps
2/25/2014, 11:10 PM
I wish I could say the same. LOL. I hate bad officiating, even if it benefits us. I won't complain as much, of course, but it still annoys me.

Oh, don't get the wrong idea, for many years I was the guy nobody wanted to watch OU hoops with...just because I complained ALL THE TIME.

Anymore (and sadly), I just accept that it's part of the game (sometimes are worse than others), and it has to be really bad for me to make a big deal out of it. Last night qualified.

Eielson
2/26/2014, 12:41 AM

I'm going to agree with you in that I don't think Kansas is a strong contender, but I think Syracuse and Duke are in the same boat. I might actually put KU above them simply due to Embiid. He completely changes games with his defense. Arizona looked like a championship team until Ashley went down, but they haven't been the same. Florida and Louisville have been my top two contenders for a couple weeks, but they've shot up the polls, so I feel pretty lame about picking them.

Soonerjeepman
2/26/2014, 09:31 AM
being from Wichita....go Shockers!!! lol

I was there when X man, Carr, Livingston...

My little brothers 13 at the time I think, worked with X man at a hotel, picking weeds (not the smoking kind)...he was complaining of the heat. Course my dad ran the hotel...paid X a hell of a lot of money to do nothing.

badger
2/26/2014, 01:55 PM
being from Wichita....go Shockers!!! lol

If only they played football they could join the Big 12 ;)

I don't think Kansas is a strong contender
Above all, I want OU to run the table and defeat everyone for the Big 12 tournament title. But, if it cannot be us, I would find it acceptable for ISU, WVU, KSU, Texas Tech, Baylor or TCU (lol) to do the same. If the Pokes promise not to rub it in and we aren't one of their wins, I'd be OK with them winning it too. On principle, Texas cannot win anything ever.

Soonerjeepman
2/26/2014, 04:54 PM
If only they played football they could join the Big 12 ;)

Above all, I want OU to run the table and defeat everyone for the Big 12 tournament title. But, if it cannot be us, I would find it acceptable for ISU, WVU, KSU, Texas Tech, Baylor or TCU (lol) to do the same. If the Pokes promise not to rub it in and we aren't one of their wins, I'd be OK with them winning it too. On principle, Texas cannot win anything ever.

self would be lobbying against that! I'm sure you are aware, they did have a football team at one time. Actually in the 70's, I believe a plane went down killing some of the team, kind of like osu and bball. They obviously weren't very good, dropped the sport and focused on bball and baseball

actually 31 died, 1970, flying to utah state u to play a game. 2 planes, one crashed the other didn't. played the rest of the season with Fr...couldn't before. Dropped football in 1986

badger
2/26/2014, 05:18 PM
self would be lobbying against that! I'm sure you are aware, they did have a football team at one time. Actually in the 70's, I believe a plane went down killing some of the team, kind of like osu and bball. They obviously weren't very good, dropped the sport and focused on bball and baseball

actually 31 died, 1970, flying to utah state u to play a game. 2 planes, one crashed the other didn't. played the rest of the season with Fr...couldn't before. Dropped football in 1986

Actually wasn't aware and wouldn't be paying em any heed if they weren't undefeated, but now that you mention it, I remember reading that story somewhere.

If OSU has a mysterious benefactor, perhaps they can fire Travis Ford and lure the Wichita State guy, but that would take Travis Ford-level money twice over... once for the buyout, and once again to pay the new guy

8timechamps
2/26/2014, 07:46 PM
I'm going to agree with you in that I don't think Kansas is a strong contender, but I think Syracuse and Duke are in the same boat. I might actually put KU above them simply due to Embiid. He completely changes games with his defense. Arizona looked like a championship team until Ashley went down, but they haven't been the same. Florida and Louisville have been my top two contenders for a couple weeks, but they've shot up the polls, so I feel pretty lame about picking them.

Agree with you about Arizona. Talk about a night and day difference.

Anyway, I guess I'm not completely sold on Duke, but they have looked pretty good lately (except for the egg they laid against a very mediocre UNC team). However, I think Syracuse is as good as anyone in the country, and Fair is the type of player that can take over/change the outcome of a game. Of course they've had a little bit of a struggle recently too.

I've finally had to admit that Florida is the "real deal" this year. I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't like Donovan. Anyway, they've probably been the most consistent team in the country, so they are deserving of their ranking.

I can't get on board the Wichita State train. I know they are a good squad, but my opinion of them is tainted because they play in such a weak conference. I do think they are a Sweet Sixteen team though. There are a couple of teams (like WSU) that could make some noise, like St. Louis and Creighton.

You know, I haven't really paid attention to Louisville much, but they have been a very good team all year. I think the bottom line is that there isn't one clear cut team above all others this year. Should make for an interesting tourney.

Eielson
2/26/2014, 09:41 PM
I think Syracuse is the best defensive team in the nation, but they're offensive struggles at times. If this were BCS-style, I think they'd have a chance to earn one of the two spots in the championship game, and they have at least a 50-50 chance of beating any team. They've played way too many close games lately, though. I just don't think they can win 6 straight in the tournament. I wouldn't bet against them if they were in the Final Four, though.