PDA

View Full Version : ***Official NFL Combine Jibba Jabba***

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 12:08 PM
QB measurements today..

Manziel came in at 5'11 3/4 and 207 lbs.. Decent sized hands and big feet for a shorter guy(size 15)..Height is being disected and everyone points to Russell Wilson..I call it the Wes Welker effect.. One short guy can do it, so that makes it the rule, not the exception.(in some eyes anyway):rolleyes:

Teddy Bridgewater is still my #1 QB, but people are going overboard with his smaller hand measurement(9 1/4)..I'd like to remind everyone Jim Drunkenmiller had 11" hands..

A scout for the Chiefs told me that talent wise, he doesn't have a QB that is in the top 35 talent wise, but with so many teams needing one, it doesn't matter.

If you have specific player or team need question, post it and I will get respond, hopefully soon.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 12:11 PM
Manziel at the podium speaking to the largest amount of media I've seen around a prospect.

Manziel says he is a small town guy that got caught up in some things.

Says it would mean a lot to be the 1 pick by the Texans.

speaking in third person, he doesn't know what his weakness is on the field. Says he plays 10 ft tall, which that means that LSU D plays 20 feet tall.

badger
2/21/2014, 12:16 PM
One short guy can do it, so that makes it the rule, not the exception.(in some eyes anyway
what's your opinion? Do you like standard measurables for key positions, or does it better to go case-by-case?

is it a bad move for projected first rounders to skip combine drills?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 12:17 PM
And I will go ahead and say I think Manziel can be a superstar in the NFL..I just don't know how long he can make it before getting injured.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 12:19 PM
what's your opinion? Do you like standard measurables for key positions, or does it better to go case-by-case?

is it a bad move for projected first rounders to skip combine drills?

I do like standard measurables..Sure you have exceptions, but you can't go in thinking every short wide receiver will be wes and every short QB wil be Brees or Wilson.

I don't think it's a good idea unless you are injured.. It just comes off as you have something to hide.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 12:23 PM
Manziel is going to do all drills except the throwing..And McCarron now says he is going to throw..His status as a prospect has nose dived since the Sugar Bowl.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 12:25 PM
Kelvin Benjamin, WR from FSU... 6'5, 240lbs, 4% body fat. That is impressive.

badger
2/21/2014, 12:26 PM
McCarron now says he is going to throw..His status as a prospect has nose dived since the Sugar Bowl.

Since it's Sooner related and all, what in particular about the Sugar Bowl made him look inferior :)

Reportedly, Jerry's gonna interview Johnny. Is it just Jerry being Jerry (he apparently also interview Cam Newton even though Dallas picked 9th that year) or is Dallas looking to dump Romo

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 12:31 PM
Speaking of Newton, Manziel and Cam had a 2 hour conversation about JMs transition into the league and the people he needs to cut out of his life for him not to fail.

Anyway, One thing people knew from earlier games(even against Colorado State) was he gets confused and shaken pretty easily.. Against OU, he had several plays with open receivers that he took sacks, threw INTs, because he was rattled.

And that's not shocking for an owner/gm to do that..Maybe not necessarily about drafting a player but one day that player will be a free agent..

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 12:35 PM
Texans coach Bill O'Brien on Manziel: It's less about height than it is about how he's built.

Finally, someone says it.

badger
2/21/2014, 12:35 PM
Thanks for doing this by the way :)

What's the worst thing a player can say or do at the NFL Combine?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 12:37 PM
The worst is probably lie..The GMs/scouts know the answer before they ask the question..They just want to see how honest you are.

REDREX
2/21/2014, 01:31 PM
Manziel is going to do all drills except the throwing..And McCarron now says he is going to throw..His status as a prospect has nose dived since the Sugar Bowl.----McCarron was a good player on great teams----Anyone that picks him is a fool-----I hope Jerry Jones takes him

badger
2/21/2014, 01:33 PM
UGA's Aaron Murray was at one time a highly rated QB and even an early contender for the Heisman (and then the season started). Other than health issues, what else does he have to prove this weekend?

swardboy
2/21/2014, 01:49 PM
"...and then the season started..." lol.

I'll be watching Sammy Watkins with great interest from a Rams fan perspective. I know they need to get their O-line firmed up, but by gosh I'd like to see Bradford get a consistent receiving weapon.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 02:44 PM
UGA's Aaron Murray was at one time a highly rated QB and even an early contender for the Heisman (and then the season started). Other than health issues, what else does he have to prove this weekend?

For him.. Not much.. He isn't working out until his pro day, but he has enough game film

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 02:45 PM
"...and then the season started..." lol.

I'll be watching Sammy Watkins with great interest from a Rams fan perspective. I know they need to get their O-line firmed up, but by gosh I'd like to see Bradford get a consistent receiving weapon.

Watkins, Benjamin, Mike Evans.. Some really good #1s in this draft

badger
2/21/2014, 03:02 PM
Watkins, Benjamin, Mike Evans.. Some really good #1s in this draft

I hear this year's TE class is deep. Are a lot of teams looking to get their own Jimmy Graham or go with the Pats' previous two-TE set? Any prospects my Packers could replace Jermichael with?

Mjcpr
2/21/2014, 03:09 PM
If you have specific player or team need question, post it and I will get respond, hopefully soon.

Is there a number of questions limit? It seems like there isn't.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 03:10 PM
My favorite TE prospect is Troy Nicklas at 6'6 1/2, 270 lbs.. Love the way he moves..I like Amaro OK from TT also.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 03:13 PM
LSU RB Jeremy Hill mailed a letter to 32 teams, being proactive & detailing his 2 arrests. Package includes pages of character references.

badger
2/21/2014, 03:41 PM
Is there a number of questions limit? It seems like there isn't.

I've probably exceeded my quota, so I'll just ask one more --- has Ritchie Incognito, Ray Rice and Darren Sharper's recent issues caused scouts, coaches, teams, owners, etc. to raise more red flags on prospects related to character issues? Are there any rumblings that the NFL will have more stringent rules regarding off-field issues, on season or offseason?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 03:46 PM
Nothing new rules wide, and no, coaches are not going to be more aware now than before..Especially in Incognito's case where everyone knew he was a nutjob from the beginning..It may cost the player a few rounds, but he'll go somewhere.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/21/2014, 03:56 PM
Kelvin Benjamin, WR from FSU... 6'5, 240lbs, 4% body fat. That is impressive.

Wow, that is at competition body builder level (2.5-4.5%).

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 04:04 PM
Damian Williams in at 5'11 222lbs.

Trey Millard in at 6'2, 247

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 04:08 PM
Not only is aTm receiver Mike Evans 6'5, 231lbs, he has the longest arms of any WR I have charted at the combine..ever.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/21/2014, 04:09 PM

With those measurables DW would be a great 5-7th round pick.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 04:11 PM
With those measurables DW would be a great 5-7th round pick.

Agreed..He'll have some questions to answer and hopefully he has someone coaching him up to give a decent response.

badger
2/21/2014, 04:20 PM

DD Williams: 5-11 / 214
Trey Millard 6-2 / 252

I like that OU doesn't inflate height stats unlike some schools... unless I have exceeded my question quota, are either of their weights a concern, compared with what they were listed at during their senior season at OU?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 04:31 PM
No..I think both are helped with their measurements..

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 04:44 PM
For giggles, my top 10 QB prospects as of today:

1. Teddy Bridgewater
2. Blake Bortles
3. Derek Carr
4. Aaron Murray
5. Johnny Manziel
6. Brett Smith
7. David Fales
8. Zach Mettenberger
9. Jimmy Garoppolo
10. Jeff Matthews

and listing at number 12 because I like his real first name.

Raymond McCarron

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 04:48 PM
Wow..Bombshell dropped today..

The Browns had a trade package put together for Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers had accepted the terms..

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 04:55 PM
Good bench press for Amaro at 28 reps..Showed he can go inline and be split out both...34" arms also a big plus.

westbrooke
2/21/2014, 04:59 PM

What kind of condition is Trey in? How much is he going to participate?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 05:02 PM
What kind of condition is Trey in? How much is he going to participate?

He is just going through interviews along with the weigh in...Looks good though.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 05:24 PM
5'9 163 for Jalen Saunders..Small hands.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/21/2014, 05:39 PM
5'9 163 for Jalen Saunders..Small hands.

Are hands that big of a deal for returners? I know they weigh in big for receivers, but I don't figure Jalen is ever going to be much more than a 5th receiver/punt returner.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 06:09 PM
Are hands that big of a deal for returners? I know they weigh in big for receivers, but I don't figure Jalen is ever going to be much more than a 5th receiver/punt returner.

Yeah, they still like them to have at least 9 1/4...he came in 8 7/8.

I feel that measurement isn't very important at the position..but his arm length was the smallest there also.

Widescreen
2/21/2014, 06:42 PM
I feel that measurement isn't very important at the position..but his arm length was the smallest there also.
That was on full display at the Sugar Bowl interception.

swardboy
2/21/2014, 06:42 PM
Wow..Bombshell dropped today..

The Browns had a trade package put together for Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers had accepted the terms..

Am I understanding you to say the Browns actually wanted Harbaugh himself?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2014, 09:38 PM
Am I understanding you to say the Browns actually wanted Harbaugh himself?

Yes...The Browns put together a trade deal for Jim Harbaugh..The 49ers OKd the terms but it's unclear who backed out of the deal..Last rumor was Harbaugh was the one who shot it down..I know the 49ers were in cover up mode all afternoon.

BoulderSooner79
2/21/2014, 09:54 PM
That was on full display at the Sugar Bowl interception.

Er? That doesn't make sense. A QB can over-throw a pass a tad bit to any receiver - no matter how tall the receiver or how long his arms are.

picasso
2/21/2014, 10:45 PM
QB measurements today..

Manziel came in at 5'11 3/4 and 207 lbs.. Decent sized hands and big feet for a shorter guy(size 15)..Height is being disected and everyone points to Russell Wilson..I call it the Wes Welker effect.. One short guy can do it, so that makes it the rule, not the exception.(in some eyes anyway):rolleyes:

Teddy Bridgewater is still my #1 QB, but people are going overboard with his smaller hand measurement(9 1/4)..I'd like to remind everyone Jim Drunkenmiller had 11" hands..

A scout for the Chiefs told me that talent wise, he doesn't have a QB that is in the top 35 talent wise, but with so many teams needing one, it doesn't matter.

I figured JM had big feet because he has long arms. Strange for him to be so quick with those clods.

picasso
2/21/2014, 10:49 PM
I like that OU doesn't inflate height stats unlike some schools... unless I have exceeded my question quota, are either of their weights a concern, compared with what they were listed at during their senior season at OU?
Just Billy Tubbs. Add an inch and round up.

olevetonahill
2/21/2014, 11:53 PM
So JFF is 5"11" yet he has a 18 foot mouth???

BoulderSooner79
2/22/2014, 12:34 AM
So JFF is 5"11" yet he has a 18 foot mouth???

He has size 15 feet and he has managed to put at least one of those in his mouth on multiple occasions. So yes, big mouth.

Widescreen
2/22/2014, 01:46 AM
Er? That doesn't make sense. A QB can over-throw a pass a tad bit to any receiver - no matter how tall the receiver or how long his arms are.
Yet in that particular case, if his arms were normal length, he might have made the catch.

Soonerjeepman
2/22/2014, 02:42 AM
Nothing new rules wide, and no, coaches are not going to be more aware now than before..Especially in Incognito's case where everyone knew he was a nutjob from the beginning..It may cost the player a few rounds, but he'll go somewhere.

read on SI, racial slur = 15 yrder...thinking about it...?...

also, KC Chiefs? any idea? I say we need a receiver.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2014, 10:09 AM
I think the Chiefs are in a good place and if you have WR needs, this is a great draft to fill it..I think they can get a really good WR with the 23rd pick or trade down, get a few more selections, and still pick up a starting WR in the 2nd. I think they will address WR and LB with their first 2 picks..And again, I think if Kelvin Benjamin is there, they go get him.

I will go on record and say this is the deepest draft in the 2000s..IMO. It's not so much about how high your picks are in this draft, but how many you have.

okiewaker
2/22/2014, 10:31 AM
This morning getting to see ikard in the combine. He looks good so far.

BoulderSooner79
2/22/2014, 10:53 AM
Yet in that particular case, if his arms were normal length, he might have made the catch.

That is his normal arm length. Same length he had for all those other catches the last year and half. :)

Mjcpr
2/22/2014, 11:04 AM
I like the arm length he had when he beat aggys ***.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2014, 11:46 AM

Bench was not great but not a surprise.. Technique covered up strength issues.

Greg Robinson is killing it.. 332 lbs, 35" arms, 32
Reps on bench, ran 4.88 40

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2014, 12:21 PM
5.09 40 for Gabe

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2014, 12:29 PM
Sounds like scouts are wanting Trey Millard to do some TE work for them when he does workout

okiewaker
2/22/2014, 12:37 PM
Well, so far been watching combine for 2 1/2 hrs and got to see Ikard do 1 drill. Got to see Robinson, Richarson, couple others 15 to 20 times. Turning it off for the day.

starclassic tama
2/22/2014, 03:30 PM

Bench was not great but not a surprise.. Technique covered up strength issues.

Greg Robinson is killing it.. 332 lbs, 35" arms, 32
Reps on bench, ran 4.88 40

And with the second pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the St. Louis Rams select Greg Robinson, tackle, Auburn

Eielson
2/22/2014, 05:58 PM
How do you feel about Matthews vs Robinson at OT, and how do they compare to the top OTs in previous years?

Who do you like at CB? I know a lot of Rams fans are interested in Dennard or Gilbert at 12 depending on what happens at 2.

I will go on record and say this is the deepest draft in the 2000s..IMO. It's not so much about how high your picks are in this draft, but how many you have.

Top 3 prospects regardless of position? Similarly, does the #2 pick have much trade down value? I'm feeling this draft might not have the big prospect like RGIII that teams will be willing to give a lot up for unless Houston passes on Clowney and somebody like Atlanta really wants a pass rusher.

Ruf/Nek7
2/22/2014, 07:19 PM
Two words: Michael Sam. And that is the combine in a nutshell.

Eielson
2/23/2014, 02:51 PM
A few WR 40 times interested me.

Watkins ran a 4.43. Evans ran a 4.53. I thought there would be a bigger difference. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think by draft day, Evans will go before Watkins. Benjamin ran a 4.61.

Saunders ran a 4.44. That was a little faster than I thought.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/23/2014, 04:06 PM
Fast time for d Williams. 4.4

Jalen Saunders with a 4.41 on the 2nd go.. Lots of jokes about his build being passed around though.. Nobody can believe an OU player can look like he s never been in a weight room.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/23/2014, 04:46 PM
Thanks for doing this by the way :)

What's the worst thing a player can say or do at the NFL Combine?

Probably not the worst thing.. But not a good answer:

Justin Gilbert was asked his opinion on aqib talib, the nfl corner he is being compared to.

Gilbert's response was," I don't know who he is. I don't watch much football."

Collier11
2/23/2014, 09:01 PM

Today on the NFL network they were saying that there aren't any Franchise QBs, but due to so many big needs you will see a ton drafted early. Basically what you said

LSU RB Jeremy Hill mailed a letter to 32 teams, being proactive & detailing his 2 arrests. Package includes pages of character references.

Interesting and probably smart idea

I think the Chiefs are in a good place and if you have WR needs, this is a great draft to fill it..I think they can get a really good WR with the 23rd pick or trade down, get a few more selections, and still pick up a starting WR in the 2nd. I think they will address WR and LB with their first 2 picks..And again, I think if Kelvin Benjamin is there, they go get him.

I really like Benjamin and Evans, and the kid from Oregon St. I hope my Chiefs get 1 of the 3

5.09 40 for Gabe

Hearing that he has a lot of fans amongst the NFL types. You think he can have a legit NFL career?

Probably not the worst thing.. But not a good answer:

Justin Gilbert was asked his opinion on aqib talib, the nfl corner he is being compared to.

Gilbert's response was," I don't know who he is. I don't watch much football."

Def odd, you don't hear that a lot.

A couple of quick questions...

Do you have 2 or 3 guys who you think are locks to be superstars?
What about 2 or 3 that could be massive busts?

picasso
2/24/2014, 01:26 AM
Fast time for d Williams. 4.4

Jalen Saunders with a 4.41 on the 2nd go.. Lots of jokes about his build being passed around though.. Nobody can believe an OU player can look like he s never been in a weight room.
He's small but tough as hell. I loved the way ge would mix it up.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2014, 09:15 AM
How do you feel about Matthews vs Robinson at OT, and how do they compare to the top OTs in previous years?

Who do you like at CB? I know a lot of Rams fans are interested in Dennard or Gilbert at 12 depending on what happens at 2.

Top 3 prospects regardless of position? Similarly, does the #2 pick have much trade down value? I'm feeling this draft might not have the big prospect like RGIII that teams will be willing to give a lot up for unless Houston passes on Clowney and somebody like Atlanta really wants a pass rusher.

1. I really like Robinson in the long haul..Needs to improve as a pass blocker but I lean his way.

2.Gilbert..Size, speed, m2m press ability.

3. Clowney, Robinson, Matthews are my top 3.

Despite his season at SC, Clowney is being looked at as a "once every 10 years" type player by some.. I think you are right..What Houston does at one will set the stage to what happens at 2. If they go Bridgewater, I expect someone to aggressive for the 2nd spot. If they go Clowney, I imagine it will not be coveted much.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2014, 09:17 AM
And Clowney runs a 4.47..at 270 lbs.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2014, 09:20 AM
Do you have 2 or 3 guys who you think are locks to be superstars?
What about 2 or 3 that could be massive busts?

Clowney, Matthews, Robinson will be superstars

Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles..all could be massive busts.

Widescreen
2/24/2014, 09:26 AM
And Clowney runs a 4.47..at 270 lbs.

Unbelievable. He called it. Said he was going to run a 4.4 or 4.5. I thought "yeah, right".

Boomer.....
2/24/2014, 11:11 AM
Wow! and with the first pick...

starclassic tama
2/24/2014, 11:16 AM
Clowney, Matthews, Robinson will be superstars

Manziel, Bridgewater, Bortles..all could be massive busts.
I would add Kelvin Benjamin to the possible bust list too. Some bad tape with him, he doesn't seem to have a knack for running good routes at all but I suppose that could be fixed. I guess the same could be said for Mike Evans but I just get a feeling like he is a boom.

I definitely agree with the QBs, some serious boom or bust with all three. I would tend to side with Manziel, even though there are some red flags I think he could end up being a star. Bridgewater looks just like Geno Smith to me, probably a little better but I don't see him being great, and I don't know much about Bortles.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2014, 11:18 AM
Here is the unique situation the Texans are in..They are one of the few teams to ever have a 1 pick and be close to being a top level team and QB play is the main reason they were so bad.

So exactly how many wins does Clowney translate into next season and how many do they think Bortles/Bridgewater translate into next season? Because they are that close.

Eielson
2/24/2014, 11:23 AM
Clowney's time is unofficial, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop down closer to 4.6 when they do the official time. It's impressive either way, but sub 4.5 puts him as one of the fastest in combine history (with Freeney). There are usually guys hitting around 4.6 most years (Jordan and Ensah last year).

starclassic tama
2/24/2014, 11:26 AM
Here is the unique situation the Texans are in..They are one of the few teams to ever have a 1 pick and be close to being a top level team and QB play is the main reason they were so bad.

So exactly how many wins does Clowney translate into next season and how many do they think Bortles/Bridgewater translate into next season? Because they are that close.

Do you not think Manziel has a shot at #1? I definitely wouldn't take him there, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Texans did

Eielson
2/24/2014, 11:36 AM

I think HOU has to pick a QB, but it doesn't have to be at #1. They're better off picking a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round (like SF or SEA did) and then going with Clowney or Robinson. Clowney and Watt would terrorize defenses by themselves. As long as Foster is healthy, Robinson would assure that they have a powerful run game to keep pressure off the rookie QB.

badger
2/24/2014, 12:00 PM

Are the Texans pretty much forced to take Clowney after that reported 40 time? Either as a draft-then-trade or to keep?

It seems undisputed that the Texans need a new quarterback, but is the best way forward the first overall pick, or wait a round or two, or go after a free agent?

In general, is it best to draft the best player available, or draft based on need if you have the first pick?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2014, 12:35 PM
I think HOU has to pick a QB, but it doesn't have to be at #1. They're better off picking a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round (like SF or SEA did) and then going with Clowney or Robinson. Clowney and Watt would terrorize defenses by themselves. As long as Foster is healthy, Robinson would assure that they have a powerful run game to keep pressure off the rookie QB.

Looks like the Falcons are pushing the hardest for the 2nd pick right now, believing Houston goes Bridgewater/Bortles..

swardboy
2/24/2014, 01:09 PM
Looks like the Falcons are pushing the hardest for the 2nd pick right now, believing Houston goes Bridgewater/Bortles..

So would that be a bid for Clowney?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2014, 02:15 PM
Yup...

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2014, 03:04 PM
Obviously not the player specific questions that get asked, but this is a sample of some of the general questions the 49ers will ask a prospect at the Combine.

1. What about your game will make an NFL team better?

2. Who is the first person you would call if you had a football problem?

3. Who is the first person you would call if you needed help making a decision?

4. What was your first job?

5. What goes through your mind once a play is finished, to when you hear the play call, to the line of scrimmage, all the way through the whistle?

6. How do you feel you learn most effectively?

7. What motivates you to play football?

8. Can you describe your relationships with your family, coaches and teammates?

9. What do you want to achieve as an NFL player?

10. What do you want to achieve outside the NFL?

Eielson
2/24/2014, 03:56 PM
Clowney's time was adjusted to 4.53 (I think it's official). That's not as fast as Freeney, but it's faster than just about any other DL that's ever run it. With Freeney as old as he is, Clowney would probably be the fastest DE in the league.

Pretty poor performance on the bench, though. Repping 225 on the bench is about as ****-poor of a strength test as you can get, but it doesn't speak well for him to get outbenched by a punter.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2014, 04:02 PM
Saw that..very impressive still..Here is an overlay Clowney vs Manziel.

http://forums.theozone.net/messages/932282.html

Eielson
2/24/2014, 04:13 PM
Here's something making that 4.53 look even more impressive:

Anthony Barr - 4.66
Khalil Mack - 4.65

He's even outrunning his OLB competition. I sure hope Houston can find a way to pass on him. I would love for the Rams to swap with Atlanta and still get Robinson or Matthews at 6.

Widescreen
2/24/2014, 04:14 PM
Saw that..very impressive still..Here is an overlay Clowney vs Manziel.

http://forums.theozone.net/messages/932282.html

I guess Manziel isn't as fast as people thought.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2014, 05:05 PM
4.53 40 was better than… - All 16 QBs - 20 of 33 RBs - 15 of 16 TEs

Scott D
2/24/2014, 07:32 PM
I guess Manziel isn't as fast as people thought.

you always look faster when you're a midget ;)

Wishboned
2/24/2014, 08:31 PM
you always look faster when you're a midget ;)

Especially if they play that Benny Hill music when you're running around.

picasso
2/24/2014, 10:02 PM
4.53 is pretty fast in my book.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2014, 12:01 PM
Justin Gilbert with a 4.35 and a 4.38 unofficially..Very impressive for a 6' 208 lb corner.

picasso
2/25/2014, 12:16 PM
Justin Gilbert with a 4.35 and a 4.38 unofficially..Very impressive for a 6' 208 lb corner.

Wow. Might have made him some money huh?
Too bad he can't hold onto jump balls.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/25/2014, 12:22 PM

Would you take a chance on him given how flakey a lot of the pokey state guys have been at the next level?

badger
2/25/2014, 12:46 PM
Would you take a chance on him given how flakey a lot of the pokey state guys have been at the next level?

Dan Bailey Dallas Cowboys Place kicker
Justin Blackmon Jacksonville Jaguars Wide Receiver
Dez Bryant Dallas Cowboys Wide Receiver
Josh Cooper Cleveland Browns Wide Receiver
Perrish Cox San Francisco 49ers Cornerback
Corey Hilliard Detroit Lions Offensive Tackle
Kendall Hunter San Francisco 49ers Running Back
Charlie Johnson Minnesota Vikings Offensive Tackle
Orie Lemon Dallas Cowboys Linebacker
Russell Okung Seattle Seahawks Offensive Tackle
Brandon Pettigrew Detroit Lions Tight End
Joseph Randle Dallas Cowboys Running Back
Zac Robinson Cincinnati Bengals Quarterback
Ryan Robinson Oakland Raiders Defensive End
Quinn Sharp Cincinnati Bengals Place kicker
Antonio Smith Houston Texans Defensive End
Lane Taylor Green Bay Packers Guard
Brandon Weeden Cleveland Browns Quarterback
Kevin Williams Minnesota Vikings Defensive Tackle

That list is outdated, but really, I think it shows that there's good eggs and bad eggs. Justin Blackmon is just making Poke look bad

Aries
2/25/2014, 01:18 PM
That list is outdated, but really, I think it shows that there's good eggs and bad eggs. Justin Blackmon is just making Poke look bad

Dez Bryant ain't helpin' either, but you're right.... why not just judge people as individuals?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2014, 01:18 PM

Yes I would even though I am still thrown off by his "I don't know who Aqib Talib is. I don't watch Football." comment.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/25/2014, 02:25 PM
badger,

It isn't just Blackmon. Rashawn Woods is probably the poster child, but Dez Bryant is a major headache as well. You could probably argue about it being mostly at WR, but Perrish Cox was on and off that 49r team all year long even though when he saw the field he was really really good.

Ruf/Nek7
2/25/2014, 03:14 PM
As a Cowboys fan (I know, i know..BBOOOOOOOO!!!!) i hope Dallas can get their hands on Aaron Donald, DT from Pitt.

6'1 285 4.68 40 and did 35 reps on the bench. He also posted one of the top cone drill times of 7.11.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/25/2014, 03:16 PM
As a Cowboys fan (I know, i know..BBOOOOOOOO!!!!) i hope Dallas can get their hands on Aaron Donald, DT from Pitt.

6'1 285 4.68 40 and did 35 reps on the bench. He also posted one of the top cone drill times of 7.11.

Would you like him before or after the TE you draft in the 2nd round?

badger
2/25/2014, 05:32 PM
badger,

It isn't just Blackmon. Rashawn Woods is probably the poster child, but Dez Bryant is a major headache as well. You could probably argue about it being mostly at WR, but Perrish Cox was on and off that 49r team all year long even though when he saw the field he was really really good.

heh, i guess i should i clarified that Blackmon was the most recent case. Dez's finances and other Poke off-field issues are well documented :)

And really, I don't care if we're fair to Poke or not and we group them all with Blackmon. It's much more fair than grouping them all with Barry Sanders.

I have another combine question for STEP if I haven't exceeded my rations: Did Michael Sams just Combine his way out of being drafted?

Eielson
2/25/2014, 06:35 PM
I think Gilbert moved to #1 on my wishlist for the Rams at #13. I'm liking Evans after his combine, too.

Ruf/Nek7
2/25/2014, 08:27 PM
Would you like him before or after the TE you draft in the 2nd round?

BAZINGA!!!! We may just draft a kicker with that #16 pick or better yet, trade it away for a 2017 5th round pick.

swardboy
2/25/2014, 10:41 PM
Bridgewater didn't seem to do himself any favors. Opted out of the 40 and throwing. He's not injured that I know of.

Eielson
2/27/2014, 12:07 PM
What is it that's missing with Evans? Incredibly productive in college, incredibly big, great 40 time for his size...yet a lot of mocks have had him on the board at 13? I know he's not on Megatron's level, but he kinda looks like an AJ Green/Julio Jones kind of prospect to me. I don't know how Watkins is still considered the clear #1 guy in this class.

Scott D
2/27/2014, 02:22 PM
Sometimes "more pressing" needs for certain teams can push someone's mock status somewhere that it might not be if teams were in different order or if it was a different crop of players at the top.

8timechamps
2/27/2014, 06:07 PM
What is it that's missing with Evans? Incredibly productive in college, incredibly big, great 40 time for his size...yet a lot of mocks have had him on the board at 13? I know he's not on Megatron's level, but he kinda looks like an AJ Green/Julio Jones kind of prospect to me. I don't know how Watkins is still considered the clear #1 guy in this class.

We'll see how it shakes out on draft day, but I wonder if there's "more to the story" with him. I know Manziel made a ton of plays, but Evans saved his bacon a lot.

Collier11
2/27/2014, 11:26 PM
Bridgewater didn't seem to do himself any favors. Opted out of the 40 and throwing. He's not injured that I know of.

that is just to drum up drama by the media, if he goes and lights up the pro day he will make up for it

badger
2/28/2014, 04:04 PM
that is just to drum up drama by the media, if he goes and lights up the pro day he will make up for it

True, but if you're looking for reasons not to draft someone, you could "didn't do stuff at combine" as an excuse i guess :)

Eielson
3/1/2014, 10:42 AM
2. Gilbert..Size, speed, m2m press ability.

I'm curious about this. Supposedly man to man is where Dennard's reputation comes from, so I'm interested to hear your thoughts on that. Is the media just off on this one?

stoops the eternal pimp
3/2/2014, 04:51 PM
Dennard is probably going to set a record for most flags earned for PI...The more film I see, the more I see how much he got away with..Very handsy down the field... And it's bad enough a lot of teams are starting to back off of him.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/3/2014, 12:29 PM
Rumblings heard today is Colvin is getting some round 4 interest..Few teams interested including the Broncos.

Ruf/Nek7
3/4/2014, 12:10 PM
Rumblings heard today is Colvin is getting some round 4 interest..Few teams interested including the Broncos.

That is pretty incredible for Colvin considering the injury. If this was to come in to fruition, it would be an absolute steal for the Broncos or any team that snags him 4th round and beyond.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/4/2014, 12:41 PM
Remember the name of Eastern Illinois QB Jimmy Garoppolo..Love watching him throw..Probably the best velocity of any QB in this draft.

Breadburner
3/4/2014, 02:15 PM
I do not care for his sister......!!!....That actress....!!

stoops the eternal pimp
3/9/2014, 11:30 AM
An interesting note

One of Blake Bortles' advisers to him at the Combine: "Stand next to Johnny Manziel as much as possible."

starclassic tama
3/9/2014, 01:39 PM
An interesting note

One of Blake Bortles' advisers to him at the Combine: "Stand next to Johnny Manziel as much as possible."

That might help him out if there was a noticeable difference in their velocity on tape. If there is I can't see it. It looks like Manziel has just as much arm strength as Bortles, if not more.

Widescreen
3/9/2014, 01:52 PM
That might help him out if there was a noticeable difference in their velocity on tape. If there is I can't see it. It looks like Manziel has just as much arm strength as Bortles, if not more.
It probably has much more to do with showing how much taller Bortles is. Everyone's going to looking at manziel and it will cause people to see Bortles favorably from a size perspective.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/11/2014, 08:46 AM
Rumors now flying around on what Houston will do with the 1 pick...

Every year, we get the annual fall in love with a backup QB and sign him to a big contract.. Matt Flynn anyone? This year, it appears that guy is going to be Ryan Mallet. and the rumors are that Houston is going to Clowney 1 and sign Mallett.. Everyone in Houston says no, everyone in NE says yes.

BoulderSooner79
3/11/2014, 10:34 AM
But won't that make JFF sad?

KantoSooner
3/11/2014, 11:10 AM
God only knows what sort of bizarre binge that would instigate. Maybe Dez Bryant would be available for a quick lost weekend.

EatLeadCommie
3/11/2014, 01:00 PM
Bortles is gonna be a bust. I don't get the love for him at all.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/11/2014, 02:53 PM
Don't know if it has been announced yet, but DeMarcus Ware is done in Dallas..The whole market just turned upside down.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/11/2014, 03:13 PM
Free agency is changing some player's draft stock today... Ware and possibly Revis on the move.. Saffold to the Raiders.

KantoSooner
3/11/2014, 03:53 PM
I've forgotten how old Ware is. Isn't he kind of in the twilight of his career?

Mjcpr
3/11/2014, 03:58 PM
I've forgotten how old Ware is. Isn't he kind of in the twilight of his career?

I think I read that he is 31.

KantoSooner
3/11/2014, 03:59 PM
younger than I thought.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/11/2014, 04:27 PM
With them moving to the 4-3, it was a matter of time..The dumb thing is the Cowboys knew they were making this move...They could have traded him last season.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/11/2014, 04:49 PM
Good news on the local front, Corey Nelson will do the full workout at OU's pro day tomorrow..

ouleaf
3/11/2014, 04:50 PM
I think the Cowboys were hopeful that they could get Ware to take a pay cut to keep him in a Cowboys uniform, but I can't blame him for saying no to that and I can't blame the Cowboys from needing to move on. Ware's productivity/health has waivered a lot the past few seasons and that makes it tough when he's your highest paid defensive player.

Cowboys habits of restructuring deals or signing guys to long term deals only to cut the and have dead money pile up has hurt them almost as much as their failures/misses on draft picks.

This move is good for both sides. Cowboys free up space to maybe add multiple guys and Ware can get on with on board with another team to try and make more money in his few remaining years of being an effective player.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/11/2014, 10:13 PM
Just for fun
2014 salary for San Francisco QBs. Colin Kaepernick: $973,000. Blaine Gabbert: $2,010,000

8timechamps
3/11/2014, 10:25 PM
I learned today that Damien Williams WILL be at OU's pro day tomorrow.

Thought this was the best place to put that info.

swardboy
3/12/2014, 05:45 AM
It's insane that Rams guard Roger Saffold got five years/$42mm/$20mm guaranteed!! From Oakland!!! He's an injury waiting to happen.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/12/2014, 08:34 AM

Thanks...He created some buzz with the good shape he showed up in at the combine, the size, and the time he ran.. But it's a terrible year to be a RB in the draft or FA

badger
3/12/2014, 11:03 AM
More pro day updates here. (http://newsok.com/live-coverage-ou-pro-day/article/3942428) Mostly twitter photos, but something

it's a terrible year to be a RB in the draft or FA

It's been this way for awhile hasn't it

Boomer.....
3/12/2014, 11:48 AM
SoonerSports.com Pro Day coverage

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=209432408

stoops the eternal pimp
3/12/2014, 02:42 PM
Darrell Revis officially on the market.

Eielson
3/12/2014, 03:04 PM
It's insane that Rams guard Roger Saffold got five years/$42mm/$20mm guaranteed!! From Oakland!!! He's an injury waiting to happen.

It's unreal. He played guard last year. We signed Jake Long for comparable last year.

soonerboomer93
3/12/2014, 04:33 PM
I think the Cowboys were hopeful that they could get Ware to take a pay cut to keep him in a Cowboys uniform, but I can't blame him for saying no to that and I can't blame the Cowboys from needing to move on. Ware's productivity/health has waivered a lot the past few seasons and that makes it tough when he's your highest paid defensive player.

Cowboys habits of restructuring deals or signing guys to long term deals only to cut the and have dead money pile up has hurt them almost as much as their failures/misses on draft picks.

This move is good for both sides. Cowboys free up space to maybe add multiple guys and Ware can get on with on board with another team to try and make more money in his few remaining years of being an effective player.

Looks like he's joining the Broncos.

8timechamps
3/12/2014, 07:16 PM
Looks like he's joining the Broncos.

Yep, although I think we overpaid (3 year/$30 million, $20 million guaranteed). He could have gotten more elsewhere, so it sounds like he knows this is probably his last shot at a ring.

8timechamps
3/12/2014, 07:18 PM
Darrell Revis officially on the market.

Any rumblings about where he may end up?

What's the deal with DBs anymore, it seems like guys reach a certain level, then fade away (seems like Revis is heading that way, and it wasn't that long ago that Prince Amukamara was in the same boat)?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/12/2014, 08:14 PM
He signed with the pats. What makes it the awesome is that not only do they get a better corner but they also get a third round compensatory pick

Eielson
3/12/2014, 09:07 PM
He signed with the pats. What makes it the awesome is that not only do they get a better corner but they also get a third round compensatory pick

Disgusting.

Eielson
3/12/2014, 09:09 PM
Any rumblings about where he may end up?

What's the deal with DBs anymore, it seems like guys reach a certain level, then fade away (seems like Revis is heading that way, and it wasn't that long ago that Prince Amukamara was in the same boat)?

I think Revis is still at an elite level, he just had a 16M contract that had no money guaranteed. That's a lot even if he is the best.

Do mean Nnamdi Asomugha?

Aries
3/13/2014, 06:14 AM

Wow. Saffold failed his physical with the Raiders and almost immediately agreed to re-sign with the Rams.

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/6716/rams-get-saffold-back-in-wild-fashion

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/believe-it-or-not-saffold-heading-back-to-rams/article_ff06ffb1-57f7-5654-8e30-e507b6c71846.html

swardboy
3/13/2014, 07:20 AM
Some things never change: Oakland. I hear that Davis overruled his GM.

Aries
3/13/2014, 07:28 AM
I've heard similar speculation as well. Something about failed physical due to shoulder problem, but some doctor who reviewed the MRI said there was no shoulder problem. Thoughts that the Raiders had "buyers remorse" and used failed physical as an excuse to get out of the contract.

Anyway, the Rams said they're not worried about the shoulder and apparently agreed to terms along the lines of what they had originally offered. I'm inclined to think without the Raiders botched deal, he would probably have signed a FA deal (more reasonable but more than the Rams offer) with someone else. Instead he may have panicked a bit and run back home, so if the Rams wanted to keep him, it seems to have worked out for them. Hope he stays healthy.

I don't remember ever hearing of anything like this before, it's kinda weird.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/13/2014, 09:49 AM
Some things never change: Oakland. I hear that Davis overruled his GM.

This was actually a good decision. If I were a GM of a team like the Raiders, what I'd be looking to do is hoard cap space since you can push unused cap space forward. Then when you get to the point where you are only a couple of pieces away you burn it.

swardboy
3/13/2014, 11:25 AM
Well, I do believe paying Saffold that kind of money WAS a bad decision. But it's got to hurt the GM going forward and making deals...a little thing called "credibility."

stoops the eternal pimp
3/13/2014, 12:24 PM
They are already having problems... There is as a couple of guys they threw more money at than other teams and those guys picked other teams

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/13/2014, 01:33 PM
They are already having problems... There is as a couple of guys they threw more money at than other teams and those guys picked other teams

The problem is that throwing money at guys who are the top of the scale doesn't normally work. Where you use that kind of leverage is at the lower end of the scale. If you are making 8 million a year and the raiders offer you 9 it is much easier to say no than if you are making 2 mill a year and the raiders offer you 4. Honestly, I'd abuse their cap situation by frontloading a ton of those contracts. That would give you flexibility in the future for trades as well as keeping them as backups.

Eielson
3/13/2014, 03:22 PM
Well, I do believe paying Saffold that kind of money WAS a bad decision. But it's got to hurt the GM going forward and making deals...a little thing called "credibility."

Absolutely. They were already having trouble signing people as is. No agent is going to want to deal with them.

8timechamps
3/13/2014, 03:39 PM
I think Revis is still at an elite level, he just had a 16M contract that had no money guaranteed. That's a lot even if he is the best.

Do mean Nnamdi Asomugha?

I meant Amukamara, but Asomugha is another one. I'm not saying these guys are terrible, it just seemed like they got really hyped, then kinda faded away. I'll admit though, I have no idea if Asomugha was injured, and that could certainly account for his numbers.

Scott D
3/13/2014, 04:24 PM
I meant Amukamara, but Asomugha is another one. I'm not saying these guys are terrible, it just seemed like they got really hyped, then kinda faded away. I'll admit though, I have no idea if Asomugha was injured, and that could certainly account for his numbers.

His big thing was he wasn't a right fit for Philly's system when he signed there. Similar to when the Raiders threw big money at Larry Brown because of his "performance" in the Super Bowl the previous year. Not that Nnamdi has much to complain about, he's still with Kerry Washington. :)

cvsooner
3/13/2014, 05:56 PM

http://www.soonersblog.com/2014/03/damien-williams-no-hard-feelings-after.html

swardboy
3/13/2014, 08:39 PM
Sam will get a new backup in St. Louie...Kellen Clemens signed with the Chargers. Lord, you don't think they'll get Sanchez do you? He's used to Shotty's system.

Aries
3/13/2014, 09:00 PM
Sam will get a new backup in St. Louie...Kellen Clemens signed with the Chargers. Lord, you don't think they'll get Sanchez do you? He's used to Shotty's system.

They have Austin Davis and Brady Quinn now, and probably going to draft a QB

stoops the eternal pimp
3/14/2014, 10:21 AM
Doing some film work on Manziel.. I still think he can be good QB in the league but he will need a top QB Coach.. Lots of open receivers being missed..Drops his eyes and scrambles way too quickly. Longest time in the pocket I have at so far is around 2.3 seconds.

badger
3/14/2014, 10:30 AM
Doing some film work on Manziel.. I still think he can be good QB in the league but he will need a top QB Coach.. Lots of open receivers being missed..Drops his eyes and scrambles way too quickly. Longest time in the pocket I have at so far is around 2.3 seconds.

Is this because he's had so many Sportscenter highlight reels doing this, or his lack of faith in his O-line? If its the latter, I'd be concerned. Didn't he play behind two recent first rounders (assuming another goes this year)?

stoops the eternal pimp
3/14/2014, 11:00 AM
Just a guy who is good enough most of the time just to make plays by himself..Much like VY was in college.

badger
3/14/2014, 12:05 PM
Just a guy who is good enough most of the time just to make plays by himself..Much like VY was in college.

Speaking of former first rounders that ended up not panning out (and I know VY had a good early run), who has a better NFL future: Brandon Weeden or Blaine Gabbert?

cvsooner
3/14/2014, 01:13 PM
Speaking of former first rounders that ended up not panning out (and I know VY had a good early run), who has a better NFL future: Brandon Weeden or Blaine Gabbert?

Josh Freeman.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/14/2014, 04:16 PM
Former Panther WR Steve Smith to the Ravens...

Collier11
3/15/2014, 12:58 AM
Smith should have gone to the Pats, Flacco vs Brady? Really?

swardboy
3/17/2014, 03:45 PM
Just saw Teddy Bridgewater Pro Day lowlights. Saw a lot of passes off-target. Wasn't Sam perfect in his Pro Day performance?

KantoSooner
3/17/2014, 03:58 PM
If not perfect then 'noteworthily' good, as I recall.

soonerinabilene
3/17/2014, 03:59 PM
I think Sam had one incompletion. It was a drop.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/17/2014, 05:06 PM
Don't see a lot of incompletions on pro days..

Anyway, it wasn't a great workout, probably wasn't a good idea to go without the gloves when he always throws with them, but no one has changed their mind on him..Norv Turner was pretty impressed with what he saw.

swardboy
3/19/2014, 05:19 PM
Bortles looked danged good at his Pro Day. I think only one pass was off, and they were all tight spirals thrown with strength....and a high release. And that's the one thing that bothers me about Bradford; he throws from his shoulder. It cancels out his height. Way too many of his passes have gotten batted down as a direct consequence.