PDA

View Full Version : Love Spurrier!

ObiKaTony
2/21/2014, 11:12 AM
We lived next to him in Gainesville. The man is awesome (stoops respects him) and now gravy on the top.

Now he is calling out Saban and his ilk:

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=10494833&src=desktop

Soonerjeepman
2/21/2014, 11:19 AM
nice...lol. That is frickin awesome.

He also reiterated his stance that the proposal is safety-based -- saying he wants to be proactive and make a change before a fatal injury.

The former Wisconsin coach pointed to the recent death of California football player Ted Agu during a training run, saying the inability to substitute an injured player between plays could lead to injury or death.

okay so he died NOT DURING A GAME? so what does that have to do with player safety DURING the game?

"If one of those players is on the field for me, and I have no timeouts, I have no way to stop the game," Bielema said. "And he raises his hand to stop the game, and I can't do it. What am I supposed to do?

"What are we supposed to do when we have a player who tells us he's injured?"

umm..dumba$$ IF he's injured he'll be on the ground and the refs call an official time out. Crap I'm not a coach and I KNOW that.

OU_Sooners75
2/21/2014, 11:24 AM
Here is the full site link:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10494833/steve-spurrier-south-carolina-gamecocks-calls-slowdown-proposal-saban-rule

OU_Sooners75
2/21/2014, 11:26 AM

He also reiterated his stance that the proposal is safety-based -- saying he wants to be proactive and make a change before a fatal injury.

The former Wisconsin coach pointed to the recent death of California football player Ted Agu during a training run, saying the inability to substitute an injured player between plays could lead to injury or death.

okay so he died NOT DURING A GAME? so what does that have to do with player safety DURING the game?

"If one of those players is on the field for me, and I have no timeouts, I have no way to stop the game," Bielema said. "And he raises his hand to stop the game, and I can't do it. What am I supposed to do?

umm..dumba$$ IF he's injured he'll be on the ground and the refs call an official time out. Crap I'm not a coach and I KNOW that.

Never thought I would see the day that Bielema actually becomes an Arkansas Hillbilly!

rock on sooner
2/21/2014, 11:27 AM
There is a link to a video of a teenager bench pressing 700 pounds in that
article...700 freakin pounds! (He weighs 270)...

Soonerjeepman
2/21/2014, 11:43 AM
A kid here in KC, I think Olathe South, benched 400, weighed 265 or so. Signed with Auburn

badger
2/21/2014, 12:06 PM
Don't worry Saban/Bielema -- extended TV timeouts will keep the games at a nice slow pace overall :mad:

I've had a lower opinion of Bielema ever since he left his successful Badger program and went to Arky. I wish him nothing but losing in the almighty SEC

Breadburner
2/21/2014, 02:13 PM
Lets just do away with football it's just to dangerous......

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/21/2014, 02:32 PM

He's opening up a can of worms with that line of reasoning. That kid died in offseason conditioning which has to rank in the top 3 of all player related deaths. I doubt in game deaths would rank in the top 10.

KantoSooner
2/21/2014, 03:21 PM
If I read properly, Bielema was raising the issue of sickle cell sufferers and their special health needs (and thus attempting, in however clumsy a way, to avoid the fact that he's really concerned with the prospects for his own out of shape athletes), to which I'd reply:

1. If a guy was hurting that bad, fall down, the play will be called and you'll be hauled off without any penalty except having to sit out a play or so.
2. If you're so ill that your body risks shutting down due to sustained exercise: quit football and devote your time to protecting your health. Many of us have physical reasons for not playing Div 1 football. In my case it was being too small, too slow, too weak and not coordinated enough. You get over it.

Rules to protect player safety are just fine. Rules that attempt to alter the game to advantage one or another playing strategies are not.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/21/2014, 03:52 PM
If I read properly, Bielema was raising the issue of sickle cell sufferers and their special health needs (and thus attempting, in however clumsy a way, to avoid the fact that he's really concerned with the prospects for his own out of shape athletes), to which I'd reply:

1. If a guy was hurting that bad, fall down, the play will be called and you'll be hauled off without any penalty except having to sit out a play or so.
2. If you're so ill that your body risks shutting down due to sustained exercise: quit football and devote your time to protecting your health. Many of us have physical reasons for not playing Div 1 football. In my case it was being too small, too slow, too weak and not coordinated enough. You get over it.

Rules to protect player safety are just fine. Rules that attempt to alter the game to advantage one or another playing strategies are not.

And once again, I'm pretty sure that most anemia problems are related to offseason workout recovery moreso than games. We had that one safety from Jenks who had iron-deficiency anemia who couldn't make it through our offseason program but he transferred to Tulsa (where they were willing to lower his intensity in the offseason program) and played for 4 years there.

KantoSooner
2/21/2014, 04:09 PM
Sickle Cell is hereditary. Not sure what you can do to condition around it or whether training requires an especially long recovery period for the afflicted.
On the plus side, it does give you partial immunity to malaria.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/21/2014, 04:12 PM
Sickle Cell is hereditary. Not sure what you can do to condition around it or whether training requires an especially long recovery period for the afflicted.
On the plus side, it does give you partial immunity to malaria.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2009/09/16/university-oklahoma-trainer-leads-research-to-protect-athletes-with-sickle-cell/

But the only real risk and setting for death are conditioning events.

KantoSooner
2/21/2014, 04:19 PM
https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/sca/causes.html

Exceptionally common in West Africa.

humblesooner
2/21/2014, 05:22 PM
Many of us have physical reasons for not playing Div 1 football. In my case it was being too small, too slow, too weak and not coordinated enough. You get over it.

This made me laugh out loud. :eagerness::D

NorthernIowaSooner
2/21/2014, 06:11 PM

I'm disappointed that Bielema hasn't been lit up in the media for this BS. What a **** thing to say and using an unrelated death to further your cause is disgusting. Learn to adapt you POS and leave this kid out of it.

Mazeppa
2/21/2014, 11:01 PM
I'm disappointed that Bielema hasn't been lit up in the media for this BS. What a **** thing to say and using an unrelated death to further your cause is disgusting. Learn to adapt you POS and leave this kid out of it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/cal-ad-takes-bret-bielema-task-bielema-responds-004633682--ncaaf.html

Mazeppa
2/21/2014, 11:08 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24451625/bret-bielema-apologizes-for-death-certificates-remarks

NorthernIowaSooner
2/22/2014, 11:44 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24451625/bret-bielema-apologizes-for-death-certificates-remarks

I'm glad the Cal AD did that.

Bielema did not apologize in there, that's some BS there. Take some responsibility. The fact that it had to be "brought to his attention" that he made distasteful comments really shows how ignorant he is.