PDA

View Full Version : HEY! non-Sooner fans! Before bragging on your also-ran school

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/19/2014, 07:03 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208798542

soonergirlNeugene
2/19/2014, 09:59 PM
16 national titles for football recognized by the NCAA?

I may have had too much to drink tonight.

lexsooner
2/19/2014, 10:22 PM
OK, this is really interesting. It's one thing if this came off of a site other than OU's official sports site, but it is from Soonersports. So, does this mean we paste those 16 seasons up at the stadium and claim the 16 titles everywhere else? I am curious about which seasons the NCAA recognized us as national champions in football, and the rationale behind this claim. The link to the NCAA record book does not work. If it is credible, heck, let's claim 16, and we can do so without being like the Texas aggies and other schools with imaginary titles based upon crackpot modern retroactive rating services.

lexsooner
2/19/2014, 10:44 PM
OK, I found the information on Soonersports: http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208798729

I guess the NCAA record book lists national titles in football awarded by all of the assorted rating services, such as Dunkel, Sagarin, and other more crackpot ones. Claiming 7 is certainly the high road in terms of credibility, but if most other schools start using this record book as the standard, then let's join them and claim 16. We were probably the best team in the country in 1973, but were on probation and could not play in a bowl. Some of Bud's teams were probably also the best, although the wire services did not rank them no. one. I do wonder about how one service had us no. one in 2003, though. Lol

Eielson
2/19/2014, 10:47 PM
The stadium says 7.

Soonerwake
2/19/2014, 11:05 PM
I still like the 100 year old national championship A&M claimed just a year or so ago, and the Big XII title even though they didn't even play in the title game that year.

We have 7. Let Bama claim their 147 titles..

That is some eye-opening stuff though..

2/20/2014, 01:15 AM
I've looked at the posts in this thread, and I could be wrong, but I don't see any comments from any of the self-identifying non-Sooner fans that like to frequent our message board. Maybe they haven't noticed this thread yet!?

KantoSooner
2/20/2014, 09:16 AM
It's like that experiment where you watch the people passing the basketballs and try to keep count....and utterly miss the guy the in the bear suit dancing all over the court. They just don't see the stats.

stoopified
2/20/2014, 09:28 AM
The stadium says 7.We also have 17 Alabama style titles we don't really brag about......unlike Alabama.

freshchris05
2/20/2014, 09:58 AM
We also have 17 Alabama style titles we don't really brag about......unlike Alabama.

What cracks me up is the rest of the SEC!SEC!SEC! pretending like they are upper echelon by association. Like that ugly girl with hot friends. Seriously;

AP NC's

Florida = 3
Auburn = 2
Tenn = 2
LSU = 2
Georgia = 1

So the rest of the SEC owns a total 10. Compared to Bama's 9. Sad ****s..

picasso
2/20/2014, 12:40 PM
Shii, I got 3 myself.

lexsooner
2/20/2014, 02:12 PM
So which top program like OU stick to wire service titles claimed? Maybe Ohio State? If in the future the cited NCAA record book which gave us 16 becomes the standard source for other schools, then I am all for OU claiming 16. Don't be surprised if this happens in the future. The claim of 16 NCAA recognized titles from Soonersports in Rush's OP is fairly new, I believe, like someone recently came across this spin and felt it credible enough to put on OU's official football site.

lexsooner
2/20/2014, 02:14 PM
It's like that experiment where you watch the people passing the basketballs and try to keep count....and utterly miss the guy the in the bear suit dancing all over the court. They just don't see the stats.

Males fared poorly in that experiment, and males comprise the majority of serious college football fans . . . .

picasso
2/20/2014, 09:35 PM
Shii, I got 3 myself.

Man, no pickup ball love?

BigTip
2/20/2014, 10:14 PM
Since I am not a non-Sooner fan, I am not going to even open this thread.

2/21/2014, 12:36 AM
Since I am not a non-Sooner fan, I am not going to even open this thread.heck, it's a shame. You would have been pleased.

BigTip
2/21/2014, 10:27 AM
:biggrin: