PDA

View Full Version : OU "self reports" NCAA violations

8timechamps
2/18/2014, 11:25 PM
This is just for football, but there were some other programs involved. The violations appear to be pretty ridiculous, but I like that our compliance department is on top of these things, no matter how small or moronic. From what I can tell, most of these were already reviewed by the NCAA, and appropriate action was taken. VERY minor...

Violations for Football (per Jenni Carlson, Daily Oklahoman):

FOOTBALL
Feb. 1, 2012
Violation: Assistant coach Bruce Kittle sent congratulatory text to a student-athlete who had signed with OU.
Feb. 1, 2012
Violation: Assistant coach Cale Gundy sent two congratulatory text messages to a student-athlete who had signed with OU.
May 14, 2012
Violation: Assistant coach Jackie Shipp sent a text message to a recruit who was a junior at the time.
Sept. 12, 2012
Violation: Assistant coach Bruce Kittle sent contact information for one recruit to another recruit, who was a junior at the time, when he meant to send it to assistant coach Josh Heupel.
Resolution: For the four violations above, the football staff was precluded from having any written or telephone contact with recruits for two weeks and Kittle, Gundy and Shipp were provided detailed rules education. Contact for the three assistants involved was self-imposed. The NCAA expanded the noncontact period to the whole staff.
July 19, 2012
Violation: Assistant coach Bruce Kittle pocket-dialed a recruit a day after receiving a permissible text message from the recruit. Resolution: Football staff was prohibited from initiating phone calls or correspondence with the recruit involved for four weeks and the recruit was declared ineligible for competition at the school barring NCAA reinstatement (self-imposed).
Summer 2012
Violation: Online payments for summer football camps for two high school players were returned for insufficient funds. Attempts by the athletic department, football front office personnel and camp accountant to contact the responsible parties were unsuccessful. Resolution: The student-athletes were declared ineligible until restitution has been made. Coaches and camp directors were provided detailed rules education (self-imposed).
Aug. 13, 2012
Violation: Assistant coach Mike Stoops returned a phone call after receiving a call from the recruit that same day. Resolution: Stoops was prohibited from initiating phone calls to recruits for two weeks beginning June 15. Stoops was provided detailed rules education regarding impermissible phone calls.
Aug. 20-Sept. 6, 2012
Violation: A former athlete performed coaching activities while not enrolled as a graduate student. The former athlete graduated from the school, but his GPA was not high enough to enroll in the University Graduate College, so he instead enrolled in undergraduate hours to boost his GPA. Resolution: The school removed the person involved from his coaching position and reassigned him to a non-coaching role. The school added a weekly report to determine the full-time status of all graduate assistants with coaching duties. The person's financial stipend as a GA was not reallocated to another individual.
Sept. 26-Dec. 24, 2012
Violation: Assistant coach Tim Kish sent replied to a text message from a recruit on Sept. 26. On Dec. 12, assistant coach Mike Stoops sent a text message to a recruit during the week of the recruit's official visit. On Dec. 14, Kish sent three text messages to a recruit and one to another during official visits. On Dec. 24, Kish sent one holiday greeting text to friends and family and inadvertently included a recruit. Resolution:Kish and Stoops were prohibited from initiating phone calls and correspondence with any recruit for two weeks beginning Jun 16, 2013, and the football coaching staff was provided with detailed rules education. The NCAA extended the two-week ban from initiating contact to recruits to include the entire football staff.
Nov. 5, 2012
Violation: Assistant coach Bruce Kittle made a five-minute call to a recruit who was a junior. He claimed it was a pocket dial, but the length of the call led to it being self-reported. Resolution: The recruit was declared ineligible for competition at the school until the NCAA reinstates it and the football staff was provided rules education, though Kittle was no longer employed by the school when the violation was resolved.
Jan. 9, 2013
Violation: Former assistant Jackie Shipp sent a total of three text messages to one or more recruits before written or financial commitment. Resolution: The coaching staff was prohibited from initiating phone calls or correspondence with recruits for two weeks beginning June 30. The coaching staff was prohibited from initiating phone calls or written correspondence with the recruit for two weeks beginning Sept. 1.
Jan. 20-22, 2013
Violation: Assistant coach Tim Kish visited a recruit and his parents at their home on Jan. 20. Assistant Bobby Jack Wright visited the recruit's high school head coach Jan. 22. When the coach informed Wright of Kish's visit, Wright left immediately without having contact with the recruit. Resolution: The department reduced the 2013-14 football contact period by two days and conducted rules education with Wright and the football coaching staff. The NCAA ruled the recruit ineligible for competition at the school until eligibility is restored by the organization.
Jan. 21, 2013
Violation: Assistant coach Tim Kish sent three text messages to a recruit's father before written or financial commitment. Kish said he was asking directions to the home for permissible contact. The recruit signed with OU. Resolution: The football coaching staff was prohibited from initiating phone calls or correspondence with any recruit for two weeks beginning Aug. 12. The coaching staff was provided detailed rules education regarding the use of electronic correspondence.
Feb. 14, 2013
Violation: Assistant coaches Tim Kish and Jackie Shipp contacted the same recruit on back-to-back days. Shipp called the recruit on Feb. 13, then Kish followed with a phone call the next day, exceeding the limits on phone calls. The call was made after Shipp had accepted new employment. Resolution: Kish was prohibited from initiating phone calls to recruits for two weeks beginning June 16. The coaching staff was provided detailed rules education regarding recruiting and phone calls. In addition, the NCAA determined the entire coaching staff would be prohibited contact with recruits by telephone for one week.
Feb. 26, 2013Violation: Assistant coaches Mike Stoops and Cale Gundy sent two text messages to recruits before written or financial commitment. Stoops responded to an incoming text with “Thanks.” Gundy replied to a text message instead of replying by Facebook message. A Facebook message would've been permissible. Resolution: The coaching staff was prohibited from initiating phone calls and written correspondence with the recruits for two weeks beginning Sept. 1. The staff was also provided detailed rules education.
March 9, 2013
Violation: A first-year, non-qualifying junior-college athlete attended a junior day event at the school, at the invitation of assistant coach Bill Bedenbaugh. Resolution:The department reduced the number of off-campus contacts with the recruit. The staff was given detailed rules education regarding unofficial visits and emphasized the importance of completing an unofficial visit request form before the invitation to campus. The NCAA also ruled the athlete ineligible at the school until restored by the NCAA.
June 2, 2013
Violation: Assistant coach Mike Stoops sent a text message to a recruit before his signing a National Letter of Intent, a written offer of admission or financial aid or receipt of a financial deposit. Stoops accidentally sent a return text while reviewing incoming text messages. Resolution: The football coaching staff was prohibited from initiating any contact with the recruit for two weeks beginning Dec. 15. The coaching staff was given rules education regarding text messages.
July 28, 2013
Violation: Assistant coach Cale Gundy and director of player personnel Reed Case exceeded permissible phone calls per week to a Tulsa player that decided to transfer to OU as a walk-on. Gundy and Case believed the calls were allowed because the transfer was already enrolled at the school for the fall. Resolution: The department provided additional rules education regarding telephone contact with recruits as well as transfers.
July 31, 2013
Violation: A student-athlete was awarded financial aid for a period of less than one academic year when the player wasn't on pace to graduate after the semester. The academic adviser did not notify the compliance department of the change in graduation status. Resolution: The player signed a revised financial aid agreement that included the spring semester and the academic services staff were given rules education.
Aug. 2, 2013
Violation: Assistant coach Jay Norvell made an impermissible phone call to a former Texas football player seeking to transfer to OU. Norvell called the player twice on Aug. 2. He believed he could initiate more than one phone call per week. The player eventually enrolled at Arizona. Resolution: The coaching staff was given rules education on the topic of transfers phone calls and recruiting.
Oct. 3, 2013
Violation: The football staff mailed an envelope to a recruit, who was already verbally committed, that included an image that was more than the school's name and logo. The envelope included a hand-drawn picture with the handwritten addressee information.Resolution: The coaching and administrative staffs were given rules education regarding permissible recruiting materials. Also, now all envelopes must be approved by the department before use.

Soonerwake
2/18/2014, 11:44 PM
A couple of comments:

1. I would think that minimal stuff like this happens all of the time. I would like to see the same report for other big time schools to substantiate that.
2. I do like how the school used self-imposed penalties in almost every case.
3. I am curious what recruit Shipp contacted "after accepting other employment".
4. This period covers 2 years.

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2014, 07:16 AM
Those violations are asinine. God, I hate the NCAA.

swardboy
2/19/2014, 07:22 AM
Ve vill deal harshly mit der hand-drawn images. Und der handwritten addresses vill be verbotten!!

Ve have vays of dealing by "detailed instructions"...der Final Solution.

Mac94
2/19/2014, 08:48 AM
Kudos to OU for their monitoring ... but wow this stuff is silly ... just makes the NCAA look even worse. Now ... expect this to be a major Dallas Morning News scandal story on the "out of control renagade Sooner football program" sometime ... say ... next early October. ;)

birddog
2/19/2014, 08:56 AM
John helander should take a stand against the ncaa.

SoonerMarkVA
2/19/2014, 09:09 AM
That's some seriously dumb-*** crap. That's awesome that it's a "violation" to pocket dial.

Breadburner
2/19/2014, 10:01 AM
John helander should take a stand against the ncaa.

He's dead....

KantoSooner
2/19/2014, 10:25 AM
There's a point at which 'laws' are rejected by enough of the population that they don't work anymore. I think the NCAA has arrived at that point: they've made 'illegal' such minutia that it's literally impossible to comply so the process comes to resemble a Maoist or Cult 'Self Criticism' Session. The point of the exercise is no longer to enforce a fair or just process but to create a record of 'violations' and a culture of guilt so that any future punishment can be justified.

The NCAA is odious.

badger
2/19/2014, 10:32 AM
Coaches and athletes really, really must dislike the OU compliance department. It serves it's purpose, but it's purpose is clearly to stick its nose in athletic affairs to ensure that absolutely no minor violations are overlooked at any point

KantoSooner
2/19/2014, 10:37 AM
The compliance department is a symptom, not the cause. If you're a high profile program, you must have an aggressive compliance department because otherwise the NCAA investigators will come after you and, bingo! you've got 'lack of institutional control'.
Think of it as a hiring program for NCAA investigators and their friends.

Or you can think of it as a good, old fashioned mafia protection racket. "Yah, yew might want to consider hiring my cousin Tommy to 'monitor' your department. He's real good at it; finds stuff all 'a time. Yew never know what yew guys might miss if you tried to do it on yewr own."

The NCAA is odious.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/19/2014, 10:56 AM
I just can't understand why someone with as much money as the OU athletic department doesn't simply build a central communications hub for this kind of thing. Basically all calls, text messages, etc are routed through a hub with these idiotic rules programmed into them. Seriously, I deal with systems that route 10 million calls a day to/from call centers all over the world, this is small fry stuff.

KantoSooner
2/19/2014, 12:54 PM
Rank speculation alert!

It would not surprise me to find out that the departments are designed by the guys (ex-NCAA types) who the schools were strong armed into hiring. They are not interested in things being really clean or simple or automated. Rather, their interest lies in keeping the pot bubbling along at just enough to scare the HC and Admin to the point where they never, ever want to cut the department's funding.

dennis580
2/19/2014, 05:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10484741/oklahoma-sooners-penalized-three-student-athletes-eating-too-much-pasta

Boomer.....
2/19/2014, 05:53 PM
Wow!

dennis580
2/19/2014, 05:55 PM
Nice to see the players man up and actually donate more then the NCAA required.

picasso
2/19/2014, 05:56 PM
Great comments at the bottom.

Judge Smails
2/19/2014, 06:13 PM
Pastagate.

Someone needs to put their big foot up the NCAA's azz.

8timechamps
2/19/2014, 06:50 PM
I just can't understand why someone with as much money as the OU athletic department doesn't simply build a central communications hub for this kind of thing. Basically all calls, text messages, etc are routed through a hub with these idiotic rules programmed into them. Seriously, I deal with systems that route 10 million calls a day to/from call centers all over the world, this is small fry stuff.

I think that's exactly what happened during last summer (and into the season). Once the NCAA "OK'd" the hiring of additional staff, Stoops (and the program) hired quite a few folks to serve as recruiting liaisons/coordinators of communication. I suspect this is exactly why that occurred. But, like anything, it takes some time to have full effect.

There is no question in my mind that these "violations" occur at every school in the country, and they are ridiculously minor, which is why I think OU made a bigger (public) ordeal out of these. Just to point out how moronic these violations are.

I have a question; How does the NCAA calculate "appropriate portions" of pasta? Seriously.

8timechamps
2/19/2014, 06:51 PM
Merged.

swardboy
2/19/2014, 06:55 PM
Lol Ikard: "That was some great pasta!"

BoulderSooner79
2/19/2014, 07:07 PM
I think that's exactly what happened during last summer (and into the season). Once the NCAA "OK'd" the hiring of additional staff, Stoops (and the program) hired quite a few folks to serve as recruiting liaisons/coordinators of communication. I suspect this is exactly why that occurred. But, like anything, it takes some time to have full effect.

There is no question in my mind that these "violations" occur at every school in the country, and they are ridiculously minor, which is why I think OU made a bigger (public) ordeal out of these. Just to point out how moronic these violations are.

I have a question; How does the NCAA calculate "appropriate portions" of pasta? Seriously.

I doubt OU made an ordeal of this to show up the NCAA - wouldn't make sense to draw their ire. I would think this is more the lawyer tack of swamping the court with evidence. If OU is to ever be called before the NCAA "court", they have a mountainous pile of paper to support compliance. I.e. total insttitutional control.

soonergirlNeugene
2/19/2014, 10:03 PM
I doubt OU made an ordeal of this to show up the NCAA - wouldn't make sense to draw their ire. I would think this is more the lawyer tack of swamping the court with evidence. If OU is to ever be called before the NCAA "court", they have a mountainous pile of paper to support compliance. I.e. total insttitutional control.

That was my thought as well. Doing it in style too! I hope pastagate is the highlight of our offseason this year.

Sinyeah12
2/20/2014, 08:14 AM
Wow!

Now that they have admitted to paying more than they were required, I'm sure that's probably a violation as well.

CincySooner
2/20/2014, 09:02 AM
Now that they have admitted to paying more than they were required, I'm sure that's probably a violation as well.

Where did those cheatin' college kids get the money to pay fer that? Some cheatin' gooner booster, no doubt!!![hairGel]:stunned:

badger
2/20/2014, 09:17 AM
I wanna know exactly what type of pasta and from where so that we can serve it at the next Sooner event one of our family and friends hosts... and I know all of you wanna too unless you're one of the gluten-kills-me types.

I'm dead serious. I want my Sooner NCAA violation pasta!

EatLeadCommie
2/20/2014, 10:51 AM
Violation: Online payments for summer football camps for two high school players were returned for insufficient funds. Attempts by the athletic department, football front office personnel and camp accountant to contact the responsible parties were unsuccessful. Resolution: The student-athletes were declared ineligible until restitution has been made. Coaches and camp directors were provided detailed rules education (self-imposed).

This confounds me. How is a check bouncing an NCAA violation? I would understand it if they let them continue on in the football camp, but they didn't.

SoonerorLater
2/20/2014, 12:35 PM
You all are laughing now but this pasta incident may just be the tip of the iceberg. There are already rumors of athletes getting extra sauce for the pasta and condiments from the salad bar.

Aries
2/20/2014, 12:42 PM
Ketchup is free if it comes from the salad bar. It's only a violation if you ask your server for it. And even then, only if you text your request to them.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/20/2014, 12:53 PM

I think you are missing the point here. Those are ex post facto actions, not preventative. I just don't understand why they don't put hard systems in place to prevent this stuff from happening in the first place. I've put similar systems in place for outbound sales calls.

Rule 1 -> Outbound phone calls/Text Messages to Contact A are only allowed at a rate of once per week except during blackout periods where no calls are permitted.
Rule 2 -> Outbound phone calls/Text Messages to Contact B are not allowed until 6/30/2014 (since he is a junior)
Rule 3 -> Cell Phone Z is not allowed to make phone calls (until his system is removed from ours)

1/2 those violations just disappeared because the system would reject them. It doesn't stop the mistakes on twitter but that is a different problem.

Boomer.....
2/20/2014, 12:56 PM
This is teh awesome!

https://twitter.com/olivegarden/status/436523822204739584/photo/1

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/20/2014, 01:14 PM
heh.

Amazing to me that they give you all you can eat cafeterias while on scholarship, but then ration you on food the moment you play your last game ;)

8timechamps
2/20/2014, 03:43 PM

Don't be so sure. There is absolutely no requirement for the athletic department to make this public, so this could very easily have been handled in-house between OU and the NCAA. I can't think of any other reason they would make it public. I'm sure the NCAA is aware of the self-reported violations, since it's the NCAA that OU is reporting them to...so I don't see any reason they would need to have ammunition for a possible future issue.

OU isn't afraid of the NCAA (no school should be, if they're doing things the right way), but to take something like this to the court of public opinion does, in fact, serve a greater purpose.

KantoSooner
2/20/2014, 04:11 PM
As currently constituted, the NCAA's days are numbered. If I see other 'majors' start their own press releases, I'll begin to be convinced that the 'death by a thousand cuts' has begun.
I don't know this for sure, but examples of organizations like the NCAA that are formed by a group and headed by rotating members of the group but staffed by a permanent bureaucracy are numerous. One of the classic problems is that the bureaucrats, the 'nomenklatura' , the 'curia', etc slowly take over and their interests become the actual raison d'etre of the organization. I suspect that is so with the NCAA.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/20/2014, 04:24 PM
As currently constituted, the NCAA's days are numbered. If I see other 'majors' start their own press releases, I'll begin to be convinced that the 'death by a thousand cuts' has begun.
I don't know this for sure, but examples of organizations like the NCAA that are formed by a group and headed by rotating members of the group but staffed by a permanent bureaucracy are numerous. One of the classic problems is that the bureaucrats, the 'nomenklatura' , the 'curia', etc slowly take over and their interests become the actual raison d'etre of the organization. I suspect that is so with the NCAA.

I'd be willing to bet that 10% of the nitpicky rules were written out because of Neuheisel who tried to twist everything into a pretzel.

8timechamps
2/20/2014, 07:22 PM

The writing is on the wall. The NCAA can either bend to meet the demands of the Big 5, or be run over. As it stands now, the NCAA isn't in any position to negotiate with the big boys.

badger
2/21/2014, 09:22 AM
Don't be so sure. There is absolutely no requirement for the athletic department to make this public, so this could very easily have been handled in-house between OU and the NCAA.

Sure there is --- the Oklahoman and other media make annual open records requests to OU, as a publicly funded institution, to provide this information that is compiled using taxpayer dollars.

How else do you think we know exactly what OU pays Bob Stoops and his assistants, but only have a rough, general idea of what Baylor pays Art Briles and his? Public versus private.

About all OU has to do is redact student information. It took Austin Woods and Gabe Ikard joking about it on twitter to find out who ate the pasta :)

btw, I had pasta last night in their honor. the next time i have to participate in a bake sale, I'm gonna make NCAA pasta :P

8timechamps
2/22/2014, 09:53 PM
Sure there is --- the Oklahoman and other media make annual open records requests to OU, as a publicly funded institution, to provide this information that is compiled using taxpayer dollars.

How else do you think we know exactly what OU pays Bob Stoops and his assistants, but only have a rough, general idea of what Baylor pays Art Briles and his? Public versus private.

About all OU has to do is redact student information. It took Austin Woods and Gabe Ikard joking about it on twitter to find out who ate the pasta :)

btw, I had pasta last night in their honor. the next time i have to participate in a bake sale, I'm gonna make NCAA pasta :P

There's a big difference in an open records request and an NCAA requirement. As it stands, there is nothing in the NCAA by-laws that require OU to make a public announcement. In this case, OU released this information.

Out of all the D1 programs in the country, most are public. Since we know these kinds of minor violations occur at every school, it seems strange that this was the only one that "went viral".

This had nothing to do with OU being required to announce anything.

Have you ever made an open records request (or any similar request under the FOIA)? Trust me, by the time you get the information, the "breaking story" will be history.

LakeRat
2/24/2014, 03:21 PM
These violations are a couple years old? Isn't that "history"?

badger
2/24/2014, 03:44 PM
Have you ever made an open records request (or any similar request under the FOIA)? Trust me, by the time you get the information, the "breaking story" will be history.

Yup, and OU released the info at the same time to everybody when they get it. The key is to ask for info that nobody else is asking for... but from my understanding, a lot of media make this request annually, and OU fills it at the same time for all of them

David Boren loves media and being open with them, so it doesn't surprise me that NCAA compliance is so nitpicky in its reports... and it makes the NCAA look bad, not us, for OU reporting the pasta. :D

Scott D
2/24/2014, 08:03 PM
I for one will miss Gabe Ikard's tweets, much like the quality of Drew Allen's tweets went down after he transferred to the 'Cuse.