PDA

View Full Version : auto union defeated in Tenn

Soonerjeepman
2/15/2014, 08:58 AM
nice.
What kills me is the union folks can't take NO for an answer...saying they are going to investigate and then weigh their options...umm, you have no options, they workers said NO.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/02/15/workers-at-tennessee-volkswagen-factory-reject-united-auto-workers-union/

REDREX
2/15/2014, 10:20 AM
Barack will just issue an Executive order that the Union wins

okie52
2/15/2014, 10:42 AM
From what I read about this VW was wanting unionization. Weird.

yermom
2/15/2014, 12:19 PM
Sounds like the politicians were intimidating the workers and making **** up to get them to vote that way

BigTip
2/15/2014, 08:21 PM
Bwaa ha ha

Somethings give me hope.

rock on sooner
2/15/2014, 09:14 PM
Being anti-union, fully documented in a thread from a few years back,
I'm not sure that starting up an SUV plant without some worker protection
is a good thing. I think VW was pretty sure the union wasn't going to fly
so they weren't too concerned. I think this is double edged and, while, a
new plant is a good deal now, down the road it might not be. Not sure why
that is in my head, other than it has nothing to do with politics...a new union
chapter can't do anything early on....

Soonerjeepman
2/16/2014, 08:46 AM

from what I gathered in the article, I didn't get that they WANTED them unionizing, but that they gave the union opportunities to present their case without a struggle. Maybe I misinterpreted that.

Soonerjeepman
2/16/2014, 08:49 AM
Sounds like the politicians were intimidating the workers and making **** up to get them to vote that way

that is from a union perspective. That is exactly what the union said. Instead of just accepting the fact that the EMPLOYEES DON'T WANT IT...typical union response, blame the politicians.

FaninAma
2/16/2014, 09:54 AM
Private unions are in a death spiral. Cities and states with strong public employee unions are in a death spiral. Unions have backed themselves into a corner and are at odds with the vast majority of working Americans. They have sold their souls to the Democratic Party who betrayed them during the Clinton Administration.

BigTip
2/16/2014, 11:13 AM
An article in the paper today quoted an employee that voted against the union saying, "What is the common denominator in all the bankrupt Detroit car makers? Unions."
They voted against the union to preserve their jobs.

badger
2/16/2014, 11:24 AM

My understanding was they wanted a worker's council, but by us law, that required a labor union. Vw has workers councils at its other worldwide plants so they were open to one in Tennessee.

It seems workers like the idea of a council too, just not with UAw attached. Maybe us law needs changing?

TheHumanAlphabet
2/17/2014, 10:25 AM

VWs main union Metal IG wanted the plant unionized. VW is beholding to Metal IG. VW says they wanted a "works council" which in the US requires unionization. The Tenn VW plant is a profitable and productive plant, Metal IG was afraid of it...