PDA

View Full Version : Edmond soldier to be paroled...

okie52
2/14/2014, 11:20 AM
Michael Behenna wins parole
By Chris Casteel Modified: February 12, 2014 at 12:55 pm • Published: February 12, 2014

Former U.S. Army 1st Lt. Michael Behenna has won parole and will be released from Fort Leavenworth on March 14, his mother, Vicki Behenna, said Wednesday.

Behenna, who was convicted of unpremeditated murder in a combat zone, learned early Wednesday morning and called his parents in Oklahoma City.

“We go between tears and laughing,” Vicki Behenna, of Edmond, told The Oklahoman. “I’m just so thankful. I’m just so very very thankful. It’s wonderful.”

Behenna, 30, has served five years of a 15-year sentence. He was convicted in 2009 of killing an Iraqi man connected to al-Qaida while questioning him.

This was his first year of eligibility for parole.

His parents, Vicki and Scott, and brother Brett appeared last month before the U.S. Army Clemency and Parole Board outside Washington and presented the members with a 400-page report that included a letter from Michael, letters of support from Gov. Mary Fallin and members of the congressional delegation and law enforcement officials.

The family told the board that Michael would work on a western Oklahoma cattle ranch and take classes at Oklahoma State University in ranch operations.

“They came and got him about 7:30 this morning and gave him a letter to read,” Vicki Behenna said. “The letter said his request for clemency (a reduction in sentence) had been denied but that his request for parole had been granted.”

She said, “I think he’s in shock. I started crying immediately when he told me. Of course over the phone I can’t see his expression. He would kind of go, ‘Yeah, it’s good, mom. It’s good.”

She said he immediately expressed concern about two fellow inmates.

Behenna was officially dismissed from the Army last month. The secretary of the Army signed his dismissal, which had been pending during Behenna’s appeals through military courts and the U.S. Supreme Court.

Lt. Col. Alayne Conway, spokeswoman for the U.S. Army, said, “The recommendation of the Army Clemency and Parole Board was based on a thorough review of Mr. Behenna’s case. While Mr. Behenna was denied clemency, members voted unanimously in favor of parole based on a number of factors, including a strong parole plan with family and community support.

“Mr. Behenna will have served five years confinement, and will continue to be under parole supervision for ten years.”

Gov. Mary Fallin, who has been monitoring the case closely since she was in Congress, said, “I am glad this long ordeal has finally come to an end for Michael Behenna and his family. Michael went to Iraq to serve his nation and to defend liberty both here and abroad. Instead, he found himself mourning the loss of his friends from the inside of a cell.

“I believe the Army acted appropriately and compassionately in offering him parole.”

Rep. James Lankford, R-Oklahoma City, whose district includes Edmond, has sent staff members to every hearing in the Washington area and has written officials about the case. Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Tulsa, has also dispatched staff to official hearings and led congressional delegation letters to the Army.

Lankford said Wednesday that when one of his staff members got the call from the Pentagon and relayed the information, “everyone in our office spontaneously burst into tears. It’s a really good day for the Behenna family … I’m looking forward to meeting Michael sometime soon.”.

Behenna's mother was one of the lead prosecutors on the Timothy McVeigh case. His dad was with the OSBI and also investigated the McVeigh case. Always seemed a bit ironic to me that their son was serving time.

I'm glad he's getting out.

OU68
2/14/2014, 12:26 PM
This ^^^ When did we start putting soldiers (in a combat zone) in jail for shooting an enemy combatant?

yermom
2/14/2014, 06:50 PM
this reminds me of all of the people cheering when OJ was acquitted

OU_Sooners75
2/14/2014, 09:04 PM

What a dick thing to say!

The guy was in combat and killed an enemy combatant. He didn't deserve all this, IMO.

yermom
2/14/2014, 09:17 PM
an unarmed man is an enemy combatant?

how often to heroes end up in prison for 5 years?

lexsooner
2/14/2014, 10:46 PM
He was convicted, thanks is to the testimony of two U.S. Soldiers under his command and their interpreter, of shooting in cold blood a suspected enemy combatant they were tasked by military intelligence with releasing due to lack of evidence. Behenna argued the suspect lunged at him, so he fired in self defense. Maybe so. You can believe what you want, but it is not a simple case of a soldier convicted for killing the enemy in the combat zone.

Turd_Ferguson
2/15/2014, 07:57 AM
Yeah, so what's your ****'n point?

okie52
2/15/2014, 10:30 AM
He was convicted, thanks is to the testimony of two U.S. Soldiers under his command and their interpreter, of shooting in cold blood a suspected enemy combatant they were tasked by military intelligence with releasing due to lack of evidence. Behenna argued the suspect lunged at him, so he fired in self defense. Maybe so. You can believe what you want, but it is not a simple case of a soldier convicted for killing the enemy in the combat zone.

Somehow I'm not feeling sorry for the Iraqi that murdered US soldiers in behennas squad.

okie52
2/15/2014, 10:32 AM
an unarmed man is an enemy combatant?

how often to heroes end up in prison for 5 years?

Seems like Mandela ended up serving 27 years. Was he a hero to you?

okie52
2/15/2014, 10:36 AM

You were cheering, weren't you?

yermom
2/15/2014, 11:50 AM
Seems like Mandela ended up serving 27 years. Was he a hero to you?

Maybe when OJ gets out he can be president

okie52
2/15/2014, 04:03 PM
Maybe when OJ gets out he can be president

You'd vote for him, wouldn't you?

TheHumanAlphabet
2/17/2014, 10:21 AM
What a dick thing to say!

The guy was in combat and killed an enemy combatant. He didn't deserve all this, IMO.
The dude murdered an Iraqi because he thought the guy was setting IEDs or killed someone in his patrol. He then lied and covered it up. Probably in WWII or Korea, this wouldn't have been noticed, but this was not in the heat of battle. While I tend to give leeway for those in uniform and in a war zone, this case seems to stretch that line thin.

shytnik
2/17/2014, 11:18 AM
Not sure why these people are saying that it's over for the family and for Mr. Behenna. He still did 5 years, he's still a convicted felon and he still has a dishonorable discharge from the military, those things tend to stick with you for the rest of your life.

None of us know the real facts behind this case. So much happens in Combat, and even outside of combat that never gets to the public. Not sure how anyone can hold judgement on this. I certainly can't say whether he was justified or not. To me, I would think that Senators, members of congress and Governors would have access to much more of the actual information than us, and if they are staking their political leverage on a guy, there is likely circumstances there showing he probably shouldn't have been convicted in the first place. But that is just a guess on my part because I wasn't there and I don't have access to the classified reports, just like none of you were there, have the real facts, or have a right to hold judgement on him.

okie52
2/17/2014, 11:31 AM
The dude murdered an Iraqi because he thought the guy was setting IEDs or killed someone in his patrol. He then lied and covered it up. Probably in WWII or Korea, this wouldn't have been noticed, but this was not in the heat of battle. While I tend to give leeway for those in uniform and in a war zone, this case seems to stretch that line thin.

I am sure Behenna "knew" that the Iraqi was the terrorist that was responsible for the deaths of his platoon members.

This is a fairly balanced story regarding the case.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/05/the-story-of-michael-behenna-and-mad-dog-5-self-defense-in-war/

From the article:

Petitions for certiorari are rarely granted; last year, the Court took only seventy-four of the more than ten thousand cases it was asked to hear. Petitions seeking review of a decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces face even longer odds. Even rarer than cert. grants, however, are murder convictions against U.S. soldiers in a combat zone. Given that, it’s worth asking how Behenna found himself imprisoned.

Between 2007 and 2008, nine servicemen, including Behenna, were convicted of unauthorized killings. CNN investigated one such incident, which occurred in Iraq in 2007: three decorated officers were convicted of the premeditated murders of four detainees. In the interrogation tapes that CNN obtained, one of the convicted men explains to an army interrogator that the policy of catching suspected terrorists, only to release them when photo evidence or witness statements against them weren’t available, was not working: “Seems like, even if you do your job and take these guys to the detainee center, they just come right back . . . The same [expletive] guys shooting at you.” CNN reported that of the 87,011 detainees captured during the Iraq war, 76,985 were released.

In my view Behenna should have faced charges for disobeying orders, assuming that is what happened, but the government never pressed for those charges. The killing of a terrorist brings no tears to my eyes. This was a political "appeasement" for the Iraqi government in 2008 during a time the US and Iraqi government were straining to hold it together in Iraq.

Behenna is definitely a soldier that I would want on "my side".