PDA

View Full Version : Looking Forward to This Week's Road Game in Stillwater

jdsooner
2/9/2014, 03:15 AM
Marcus Smart needs a new last name and Travis Ford will soon need a new job. Earlier in the year, I thought the Cowboys might be a Final Four team. It would be amazing if the Sooners sweep Baylor and the Cowboys this year.

How many games will Marcus Smart miss with a suspension?
Will OSU make the NCAA Tournament?

I predict a Sooner win in Stillwater on Saturday. OU 80--OSU 70.

soonergirlNeugene
2/9/2014, 08:30 AM
Idk, with all the stuff coming out about Orr (http://inagist.com/all/432396873383436289/), it's hard to say. The only thing we can probably count on is that one way or the other Bowlsby isn't going to get it right.

Temujin
2/9/2014, 09:45 AM
Idk, with all the stuff coming out about Orr (http://inagist.com/all/432396873383436289/), it's hard to say. The only thing we can probably count on is that one way or the other Bowlsby isn't going to get it right.

Wow. I can't stand that pudgy, floppy guard. But if that fan really said any of the stuff they're saying he said...I can't quite blame the kid. Texas...what a sorry excuse for a state.

Eielson
2/9/2014, 11:30 AM

It doesn't matter what the guy did or said. It's unacceptable to go into the stands and push a fan. Automatic suspension for sure, and if he was suspended for the rest of the year, it would be warranted.

C&CDean
2/9/2014, 11:56 AM
Marcus is just smart enough to pull the horse**** "he call me da n-word..." deal. Meh.

NorthernIowaSooner
2/9/2014, 01:00 PM
It doesn't matter what the guy did or said. It's unacceptable to go into the stands and push a fan. Automatic suspension for sure, and if he was suspended for the rest of the year, it would be warranted.

I agree, rest of the year for Smart. If I were in Tech's shoes I would also suspend this Orr fella from university events until the 15-16 season. Neither behavior should be tolerated and dealt with severely to set a tone for these sorts of actions.

soonergirlNeugene
2/9/2014, 05:30 PM
It's just a tricky situation. Of course Smart should be sanctioned. Due to the proximity of fans to the court in every level of the game, protecting the fans becomes a bright line that needs to be strictly enforced at every level of the sport. But it's tricky because you run the risk of creating incentive for fans to abuse and mistreat players in the hopes of inciting them to overreact like Smart did. In a few words, a fan can have an impact on their team's chances of winning a game that would normally take 5 fouls to accomplish. And while Orr may regret his words, we all know there are plenty of people out there who would take this as encouragement. If schools are going to continue to pack the house down to the court level without any barriers between the fans and the players, there needs to be a layer of protection for the players as well as the fans.

Perhaps just getting this fan's name out there in association with his racist comments will be sufficiently damaging to discourage future copycat behavior. We all know Smart will be penalized in a manner consistent with the intent to send a clear message. Considering Tech's official relationship with this particular individual (http://today.ttu.edu/2010/03/texas-tech-basketball-fan-extraordinaire/), this would seem a good opportunity to send a message to fans.

Eielson
2/9/2014, 06:07 PM
The fans say profane things all the time, and I don't think this will encourage anything new. Maryland's student section chanted "f***ed your sister" to JJ Redick when he was at Duke. I think his sister was attending Maryland at the time, so I don't think it gets much worse than that.

Also, this guy has shouted crazy things for years it seems. Smart is just the only one dumb enough to actually physically confront him.

NorthernIowaSooner
2/9/2014, 06:28 PM
He got a three game suspension. Personally I feel like that is a joke and sets a bad precedent. I still feel as though the fan should be dealt with severely but I don't know how Tech feels about that in light of this weak suspension.

jiminy
2/9/2014, 07:16 PM
Wow... guess who the first opponent is after the suspension. Round 2 coming up... Will Orr be allowed in GIA?

jdsooner
2/9/2014, 07:49 PM
It is interesting that the Big 12 would only give a 3 game suspension, knowing full well that he will be back to face Tech at home on the 22nd. Stillwater will be rocking that day!

Turd_Ferguson
2/9/2014, 08:39 PM
He got a three game suspension. Personally I feel like that is a joke and sets a bad precedent. I still feel as though the fan should be dealt with severely but I don't know how Tech feels about that in light of this weak suspension.

I'd like to know why you think the tech fan should be dealt with severely...

NorthernIowaSooner
2/9/2014, 09:19 PM
If reports of what he said are true then he was way out of line. That doesn't excuse Smart but it also isn't how a middle aged adult should behave. He should know better and I'm guessing Tech doesn't want this moron representing their fan base.

Wishboned
2/9/2014, 09:48 PM
Orr has said he would not attend any more games for the rest of the season. And he's claiming he called Smart a "piece of crap". I'm thinking more like "piece of ****", but that's close.

I have to think that the black woman behind Orr would have said something if she'd heard anything racist from Orr.

Soonerjeepman
2/9/2014, 10:20 PM
the fact the OLD DUDE actually flipped off an A/M player before he should have been kicked out of the TT stadium forever. Good Lord...the guy is an idiot. TT should ban him.

FWIW, they both are guilty of being a0holes.

Piware
2/10/2014, 11:51 PM
Interesting that it is playing out with the hothead Poke as the victim. I am curious to how these righteously outraged Poke fans will behave when the Sooners come to town next weekend. It is almost amusing to listen to them huff and puff about how awful it is for fans to taunt a player. Perhaps they should let Jalen Saunders, Colvin and Eric Striker weight in on fan behavior.

No one threw an ice ball at Smart, no one spit on him and no TT cheerleader tried to trip him.