PDA

View Full Version : With Blake moving to TE

Mazeppa
2/8/2014, 08:25 PM
Will he have to change his number or is 10 a good number for TE? Most players at that position I have noticed wears like eighty something.

SoonerInFortSmith
2/8/2014, 09:00 PM
Pretty sure he would still be allowed to wear 10. It is an eligible number as far as catching passes. Who knows if he will want to change it though.

OU_Sooners75
2/8/2014, 09:11 PM
He can wear 10.

Gresham wore 18

8timechamps
2/8/2014, 09:11 PM
Doesn't matter in college. He could wear #99 if he wanted.

Mazeppa
2/8/2014, 09:50 PM
ok thanks

NorthernIowaSooner
2/8/2014, 11:51 PM

As long as it isn't 50-79

c. When the ball is snapped, the following Team A players are eligible:
1. Each lineman who is on the end of his scrimmage line and who is
wearing a number other than 50 through 79.
2. Each back wearing a number other than 50 through 79.

OU_Sooners75
2/9/2014, 12:07 PM

It does matter actually. But it doesn't if he isn't wearing a Lineman number which #50-79 are reserved for.

cleller
2/9/2014, 06:35 PM
I'm more wondering how well the change will go. We seem to be unable to recruit TEs that can make an impact, so can a QB be moved there and shine?

swardboy
2/9/2014, 09:00 PM
Wasn't that good TTech tight end something like 29?

OU_Sooners75
2/9/2014, 09:56 PM
I'm more wondering how well the change will go. We seem to be unable to recruit TEs that can make an impact, so can a QB be moved there and shine?

He played WR until his Junior year in HS. His father was a NFL TE. I think he will be able to transition just fine.

Ruf/Nek7
2/11/2014, 10:25 AM
I just wonder how well he will be able to block. I really do not doubt his athleticism, catching ability, and route running.

KantoSooner
2/11/2014, 10:32 AM
He might have to really work on blocking technique, but so far he's shown he's intelligent and a hard worker and he probably heard enough from his dad growing up to have some kind of foundation. I think he'll be okay on that front.

8timechamps
2/11/2014, 08:31 PM
As long as it isn't 50-79

Thanks for the post, In my years following college football, I never realized that rule. Is there a defensive rule similar? I just assumed since we see QBs, RBs, WRs and TEs were "non traditional" numbers, that it didn't matter.

Salt City Sooner
2/12/2014, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the post, In my years following college football, I never realized that rule. Is there a defensive rule similar? I just assumed since we see QBs, RBs, WRs and TEs were "non traditional" numbers, that it didn't matter.
If there is, Jadeveon Clowney just spent 3 years breaking it; he wore #7.

Of course, that could have been a SEC exception.....:D

Jacie
2/12/2014, 06:06 AM
Can hardly wait to see him run on a tight end reverse.

Curly Bill
2/12/2014, 10:03 AM
Can hardly wait to see him run on a tight end reverse.

TE reverse? Have you seen many of those?

And if we're gonna run a reverse wouldn't we likely run it with one of our guys that can run a 4.4/4.5 not a 4.8? Plus he's not very shifty.

Ruf/Nek7
2/12/2014, 01:21 PM
TE reverse? Have you seen many of those?

And if we're gonna run a reverse wouldn't we likely run it with one of our guys that can run a 4.4/4.5 not a 4.8? Plus he's not very shifty.

Ran it with Trent Smith if i remember correctly.

birddog
2/12/2014, 01:25 PM
William just doesn't appreciate the history we have with tight ends showing their skills ala Keith Jackson

BoulderSooner79
2/12/2014, 01:39 PM
Yes, but Keith Jackson was a generational player, while Blake Bell has his work cut out for him just to earn playing time at a new position.

birddog
2/12/2014, 03:44 PM
Ok. I read his post as just a comment of our history of game changing plays and hoping Blake can build on his notre dame and ok state performance. Perhaps I shouldn't read into posts from people I dont know. Trent smith, if in fact he did run a reverse, isn't a generational player but Blake is a gamer and I like the idea of him with the ball in his hands outside the tackle box

BoulderSooner79
2/12/2014, 03:52 PM
I suspect most OU fans are pulling for Blake to make it big at TE (except for the other TEs on OUr roster).

birddog
2/12/2014, 04:01 PM
Well, we do have some unrealistic fans.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/12/2014, 04:11 PM
Can hardly wait to see him run on a tight end reverse.he ain't THAT fast.

stoopified
2/12/2014, 04:17 PM
I'm thinking Bell will be used like Trent,that being as a reciever,not so much a blocker.I think Rip,Flowers(if he doesn't redshirt), OUr returning TEs will handle blocking dutiesimo.I would also add lesser used DE Rashod Favors as nother fb,H-back,TE type.Don't recall if I read this somewhere or heard it in an interview.....hell I could've dreamed it.

I would that I DO think BB will make plays in his new capacity.

Not to chnge the subject but I heard that Coach Heupel that this will not be a trial situation where Balke could be returned to qb.That would leave me to think that says the staff has confidence In Thomas as backup.I'm guessing Cody's prebowl practice left Bob and staff feeling secure at the #2 spot.

BoulderSooner79
2/12/2014, 04:23 PM
I'm thinking Bell will be used like Trent,that being as a reciever,not so much a blocker.I think Rip,Flowers(if he doesn't redshirt), OUr returning TEs will handle blocking dutiesimo.I would also add lesser used DE Rashod Favors as nother fb,H-back,TE type.Don't recall if I read this somewhere or heard it in an interview.....hell I could've dreamed it.

I would that I DO think BB will make plays in his new capacity.

Not to chnge the subject but I heard that Coach Heupel that this will not be a trial situation where Balke could be returned to qb.That would leave me to think that says the staff has confidence In Thomas as backup.I'm guessing Cody's prebowl practice left Bob and staff feeling secure at the #2 spot.

That makes sense. If Bell is going to win a starting TE job, he needs to be all in. Having played some WR in HS 6 years ago is not going to be relevant, IMO. Running the Belldozer and handling the ball a bunch as QB will help a lot, as will 4yrs in a D1 program.

8timechamps
2/12/2014, 07:16 PM
If there is, Jadeveon Clowney just spent 3 years breaking it; he wore #7.

Of course, that could have been a SEC exception.....:D

I was thinking about all the single digit linebackers I've seen. Heck, I never knew the offensive rule existed.