PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here consider osu to be a football rival?

stoopified
2/7/2014, 12:52 PM
As I was watching the season highlights posted on this site,I got really into the Puke game.This brought to mind the question ,do we (as Sooner fans) consider Pickens boys to be rivals?

To me the answer is short and sweet- NO! While I would agree they are rivals in basketball and baseball,they are most defiinitely NOT a football rival. To be a true rival the two teams should be evenly or near evenly matched and each has sustained periods of success against one another.OU has had two TRUE rivals in my lifetime,Texas and Nebraska.We hold a slight edge of abot 6 games over Nebraska,and while we trail the overall series vs.UT,the last 60 years have been a dead heat with OU controlling the series in the 50's 70's,80's,00's and are crrently up 3-1 in the 10's. At no point in history has osu ever accomplished a perod of dominance over OU. A true rival pushes you to be better and the Neon Orange Bunch has not done that.

The nearest they can come is going 3-1 in the Smellyburger-Boo era,which are arguabely the 4 worst teams in OU modern football history,if not all time history.I will admit that Pickens' money,their facility upgrades,and with Gundy's coaching ,hey are more competitive but they aren't there yet.Gundy who is the all-time winningest Poke HC is still only 1-8 vs. OU.

For ME to consider the ags a rival,Gundy would need to hang around Stoolwater another 21 years and finish with a career record of about 12-18 against us.That would mean winning 11 of the next 21. That to me is what it would take to consider them a football rival. Ain't gonna happen.

badger
2/7/2014, 12:55 PM
Old Dominion? ;)

Soonerwake
2/7/2014, 12:59 PM
Those darned Monarchs...

birddog
2/7/2014, 01:01 PM
We spanked em in men's tennis and it sure heated things up

Soonerwake
2/7/2014, 01:02 PM
Concerning the aggies, I don't really know if they are a rival or not. I know that I root for all teams over them, the horns included. I would rather lose to the horns than the ags. Of course, I think that is due to the fact that I live in Oklahoma and have friends and family that are aggies, while I meet or know only a few horns. That feeling might change if I lived in DFW.

Curly Bill
2/7/2014, 01:26 PM
I live in Texas and I root for anybody & everybody over the whorns!

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2014, 01:45 PM
Though the record says no, I would say yes.

They are the only in-state school we play every single season (guaranteed). And it seems like there are a lot closer games than blow outs. Sure, OSU is lacking in the win column, but to say it isn't a rivalry in football is a little premature IMO.

lexsooner
2/7/2014, 01:47 PM
Yes, I consider OSU to be a football rival. Irrespective of their dismal record against us, the facts remains they have had some darn good teams lately, including some as good or better than ours, though we usually found ways to beat them. Plus, their recruiting is really strong now. I guess I feel you cannot ignore their success, and the fact we are traditional in-state rivals and play them at the end of the season in a typically crucial game makes them a legitimate football rival.

badger
2/7/2014, 01:56 PM
awww you changed the subject line... but fun aside, OSU is more of a basketball and baseball rival at this point than a football rival. They play us in football like it's their Super Bowl, but they regularly lose their Super Bowl despite that. Recruits will almost always choose OU, casual fans would rather casually be OU fans than OSU fans, pollsters in the media will rank OU higher than OSU in general, coaching candidates would rather coach at OU than OSU... the list goes on. NOT A RIVAL

Mjcpr
2/7/2014, 02:11 PM
Yes, they're a rival....second only to Texas. I can't think of anyone else that we be above them. Nebraska maybe that's long gone. We've just dominated the rivalry but it's still a rivalry.

It probably makes some people feel better to bedowngrade them but OU - aggy is a rivalry game. I consider it one at least.

stoopified
2/7/2014, 02:24 PM
awww you changed the subject line... but fun aside, OSU is more of a basketball and baseball rival at this point than a football rival. They play us in football like it's their Super Bowl, but they regularly lose their Super Bowl despite that. Recruits will almost always choose OU, casual fans would rather casually be OU fans than OSU fans, pollsters in the media will rank OU higher than OSU in general, coaching candidates would rather coach at OU than OSU... the list goes on. NOT A RIVALBingo, I can not disagree with a single word.Guess we ARE IN THE MINORITY.

SoonerInHSV
2/7/2014, 02:24 PM
Yes, they're a rival....second only to Texas. I can't think of anyone else that we be above them. Nebraska maybe that's long gone. We've just dominated the rivalry but it's still a rivalry.

It probably makes some people feel better to bedowngrade them but OU - aggy is a rivalry game. I consider it one at least.

Over the last ten games of each series, the only conference team with a WORSE record is Iowa State. Kansas has the same number of wins. All time Tulsa has a better winning percentage against us than Oklahoma State and the same record over the last ten games. Maybe Tulsa should be considered a rival?

Do they consider us a football rival? Yes.

Do we consider them a football rival? Not so much.

Overall they are a rival. It's just hard to consider them one in football since the record is so lopsided.

oudanny
2/7/2014, 02:30 PM
Texas is a rival. Nebraska was a rival. I do not consider osu to be a rival. They are no more a rival from my perspective than Tulsa is their rival from their perspective. A few wins and close games does not a rival make.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/7/2014, 02:32 PM
Concerning the aggies, I don't really know if they are a rival or not. I know that I root for all teams over them, the horns included. I would rather lose to the horns than the ags. Of course, I think that is due to the fact that I live in Oklahoma and have friends and family that are aggies, while I meet or know only a few horns. That feeling might change if I lived in DFW.I have lived in tx some(10 years or so) and will always feel that it's never good for LosuR to do well. OU has to be/stay on top within the Sooner state, so orange aggy should never be lauded for beating tx. OU is the OK team that should do that.

picasso
2/7/2014, 02:35 PM
I consider them annoying.

2/7/2014, 02:35 PM
awww you changed the subject line... but fun aside, OSU is more of a basketball and baseball rival at this point than a football rival. They play us in football like it's their Super Bowl, but they regularly lose their Super Bowl despite that. Recruits will almost always choose OU, casual fans would rather casually be OU fans than OSU fans, pollsters in the media will rank OU higher than OSU in general, coaching candidates would rather coach at OU than OSU... the list goes on. NOT A RIVALwell said.

BoulderSooner79
2/7/2014, 02:42 PM
For 1 week out of the year, sure. Compare that to 52 weeks/year for the horns.

cvsooner
2/7/2014, 02:44 PM
In my younger days, they were not a rival. In the past 15 years, they have become more of a rival.

But then, everybody who plays the Sooners just about plays like we're their biggest rival. OSewe just plays harder than most.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
2/7/2014, 02:46 PM
Old Milwaukee? ;)

FIFY!

CowboyMRW
2/7/2014, 02:47 PM
awww you changed the subject line... but fun aside, OSU is more of a basketball and baseball rival at this point than a football rival. They play us in football like it's their Super Bowl, but they regularly lose their Super Bowl despite that. Recruits will almost always choose OU, casual fans would rather casually be OU fans than OSU fans, pollsters in the media will rank OU higher than OSU in general, coaching candidates would rather coach at OU than OSU... the list goes on. NOT A RIVAL

Sure would've been nice if we played this past year like it was our Super Bowl.

CowboyMRW
2/7/2014, 02:50 PM
We don't really look at OU as a rival. It's just another game in the Gundy regime.

Teams like UTSA, Lamar, Iowa State, Kansas State are our true rivals.

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2014, 03:03 PM

How dumb! I guess we are not their rivals in wrestling then?

Of course I would expect you to say no, because you have no clue what wrestling is.

I guarantee you that every single football player looks at OSU as a rival, unlike most pissant fans.

2/7/2014, 03:04 PM
We don't really look at OU as a rival. It's just another game in the Gundy regime.

Teams like UTSA, Lamar, Iowa State, Kansas State are our true rivals.gotta be another lost aggy. :topsy_turvy: You apparently misread the question. buh-bye.

Jason White's Third Knee
2/7/2014, 04:11 PM
I consider them to be a pain in the a$$. I consider them to be a threat. I do not consider them a rival.

Baylor has beaten us more than osu has recently and calling Baylor a rival is a farce.

olevetonahill
2/7/2014, 04:27 PM
I think of em as a Sore Peter, gettin harder to beat!

Eielson
2/7/2014, 04:32 PM
It's more like a little brother. You beat him constantly, but you always prepare thoroughly and get nervous when things are close, because you know you'd never hear the end of it if you lost. The kid across the street that's your own age is the real rival. He can actually beat you at stuff, but it's not as embarrassing when you lose because he's actually your age (on your level).

Little brother is such a good comparison that I end up using it even when I don't try. I bet if they ever beat us again, they'll pull a classic little brother move, and cancel all future games against us. That way they can always say they won the most recent game and act like that makes them better.

badger
2/7/2014, 04:55 PM

Of course I would expect you to say no, because you have no clue what wrestling is.

I guarantee you that every single football player looks at OSU as a rival, unlike most pissant fans.

Goodness, a bit angry this Friday, are we? There were a lot of alternate-to-rival explanations offered earlier that are better than "rival:"

Little brother is such a good comparison

I consider them to be a pain in the a$$

Mjcpr
2/7/2014, 05:31 PM
Over the last ten games of each series, the only conference team with a WORSE record is Iowa State. Kansas has the same number of wins. All time Tulsa has a better winning percentage against us than Oklahoma State and the same record over the last ten games. Maybe Tulsa should be considered a rival?

Do they consider us a football rival? Yes.

Do we consider them a football rival? Not so much.

Overall they are a rival. It's just hard to consider them one in football since the record is so lopsided.

I disagree. But that's okay too.

Like I said, we have dominated, but it's still a rivalry game. Even the conference considers it one, that's why they moved it to the end of the year when all the other in-state rivarly games are going on...except now they do it when the other conferences are playing their championship games.

What is the Winning % threshold to put a game in the rivalry category? Texas - Texas A&M....rivalry or not? Be careful how you answer because Texas leads, 76–37–5 according to Wikipedia.

badger
2/7/2014, 05:35 PM
Sure would've been nice if we played this past year like it was our Super Bowl.

At least we both had better showings in our game than the Denver Broncos.

8timechamps
2/7/2014, 05:37 PM
Why is it so hard to accept OSU as a rival? The football players have.

Maybe it's because I don't live in OK anymore, and am not consistently annoyed with OSU fans, but I think it's a real rivalry, just not our biggest.

TAFBSooner
2/7/2014, 05:55 PM

This is certainly true, but not mutually exclusive with being a rival.

I consider them a rival, as a distant second to utexas.

I work in an office full of engineers, roughly equal numbers of OU and aggy grads. Maybe it's because engineers don't want to appear stupid, but I don't hear the really egregious aggy talk that so many of you report.

ouwasp
2/7/2014, 06:44 PM
The pokes are instate rivals. We can all agree on that. Those of us that live in OK can also agree the pokes are annoying.

Eielson
2/7/2014, 07:51 PM
The pokes are instate. We can all agree on that.

Fixed.

Curly Bill
2/7/2014, 08:04 PM
Why is it so hard to accept OSU as a rival? The football players have.

Maybe it's because I don't live in OK anymore, and am not consistently annoyed with OSU fans, but I think it's a real rivalry, just not our biggest.

This ^^^^

Eielson
2/7/2014, 08:40 PM
ri·val (rī′vəl)
n.
1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.
2. One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.
3. Obsolete A companion or an associate in a particular duty.

Wishboned
2/7/2014, 08:47 PM
ri·val (rī′vəl)
n.
1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.
2. One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.
3. Obsolete A companion or an associate in a particular duty.

They're always attempting. They're only successful 19% of the time. But they're always attempting.

GDC
2/7/2014, 08:59 PM
It depends on how one defines "rival". To me Texas is OU's only current rival, Nebraska used to be also.

8timechamps
2/7/2014, 09:25 PM
Like I said, the OU football players consider OSU a rivalry, and say as much.

Of course it's not the same as Texas, that is a special rivalry that isn't shared by too many teams across the country. There are only a handful of big time rivalries in the game, and OU/Texas is one of them. However, OSU is a rival. Again, I'm not sure why it's hard for OU fans to admit that.

Curly Bill
2/7/2014, 10:43 PM

Of course it's not the same as Texas, that is a special rivalry that isn't shared by too many teams across the country. There are only a handful of big time rivalries in the game, and OU/Texas is one of them. However, OSU is a rival. Again, I'm not sure why it's hard for OU fans to admit that.

Because it looks cool to be condescending.

Therealsouthsider
2/7/2014, 11:11 PM
...I look at aggy as a source of amusement

ss

Mazeppa
2/8/2014, 12:13 AM
...I look at aggy as a source of embarrassment as a rival. They are a minor rival, OU and osu have been playing football for a hundred years, osu has won 17 times, 7 times at home and 8 times in Norman and 2 times in okc. "SEVEN" TIMES AT HOME IN 100 YEARS! and this school is a serious rival?

Eielson
2/8/2014, 12:21 AM

Some of them do. Some don't. It's really going to depend on what you mean when you say rivalry. I, along with many others, think Texas is our only rival.

We don't call them a rival, because they never beat us. By definition, that's necessary. A&M and Tech have been beating us more consistently. Shoot, even Baylor beats us more often, and K-State is always a tough one with Snyder. Are we going to call everybody in the Big XII our rivals? In a weak form, I guess that's accurate.

stoopified
2/8/2014, 06:00 AM

Personally I would agree that wrestling is not a true rivalry because it is so lopsided in the Ags favor.That is why in the OP I mention basketball and baseball but not wrasslin'.As for the players? I have heard numerous interviews with OU players on KREF concerning this very subject and most seem to not regard the Cowboys as a rival.

I would cite as evidence the comments made by Gabe Ikard both before and after that game. o the effect that WE ARE OKLAHOMA,WE EXPECT/ EXPECTED TO BEAT THE COWBOYS.

Flagstaffsooner
2/8/2014, 06:12 AM
I consider them as a Port-A-Potty at a small town rodeo.

oupride
2/8/2014, 06:17 AM
I live in Houston and it does OU no good for UT to have a weak team. A poor season by the horns hurts the entire Big 12, i.e. the 2013 season. As a fan I want UT to win every game except one. On the other hand, I want the OSU Cowboys to lose every game. Yes they are a rival. Go step on their campus and you will find out that they are micro focused on one thing, beat OU.

Salt City Sooner
2/8/2014, 01:07 PM
I live in Houston and it does OU no good for UT to have a weak team. A poor season by the horns hurts the entire Big 12, i.e. the 2013 season. As a fan I want UT to win every game except one. On the other hand, I want the OSU Cowboys to lose every game. Yes they are a rival. Go step on their campus and you will find out that they are micro focused on one thing, beat OU.
Beat me to it. There's one thing in a rivalry that hasn't been mentioned yet, & that's respect. Whether it be a mutual sportsman-like type (OU-NU) or more of the begrudging, hate filled kind (OU-UT), it's there, & as for me, I have none when it comes to OU-OSU because of the bolded above. I've mentioned this before but in this thread it fits again; in my 30+ years of following OU, I have yet to have an OSU fan (& to be fair, I'm in KS so my sample size isn't the biggest, we're talking around 100-150-ish) be able to look me in the eye & deny that they'd consider it a good day if both OU & OSU lost. They hated OU more than they loved OSU.

It's always spoke volumes to me that a 4 win season that included a win over OU at UT (1997) gets the head coach fired, while a 4 win season that included a win over OU at OSU (1995) gets the entire senior class commemorative medallions.

1sooners1
2/8/2014, 01:58 PM
I consider them to be an annoyance mostly; like a fly at the dinner table.

One of their strategies to play "catch up" and become relevant was to jump on the multiple uniform marketing wagon- (not something an established program deems necessary), another was the "build it and they will come" strategy which, to an extent, has worked.

All in all, I think they've missed the boat on being a consistent player on the main stage of college football, they're more like an occasional flavor of the day.

The only way I see them as a football rival, is in recruiting some of the home-grown talent here in Oklahoma- otherwise, nah.

Temujin
2/8/2014, 07:12 PM
I think there's more to being a rival than the records between the teams. For example, KU owns MU in basketball, but because their rivalry is entrenched in more than just sports, it still comes out on the court when they play. I think the OU/Texas rivalry is that way - there is a competitiveness between the states, not just the teams, and that shows up in the sports as well. And I think that even though we own OSU, the reality is that we want to beat them badly every time, and their entire season is about beating OU. That makes most of the games competitive, or at least interesting.

I'd say they're a rival. I wouldn't call the series competitive by any means, but they're a rival.

Curly Bill
2/8/2014, 07:20 PM
I think there's more to being a rival than the records between the teams. For example, KU owns MU in basketball, but because their rivalry is entrenched in more than just sports, it still comes out on the court when they play. I think the OU/Texas rivalry is that way - there is a competitiveness between the states, not just the teams, and that shows up in the sports as well. And I think that even though we own OSU, the reality is that we want to beat them badly every time, and their entire season is about beating OU. That makes most of the games competitive, or at least interesting.

I'd say they're a rival. I wouldn't call the series competitive by any means, but they're a rival.

Yup!

olevetonahill
2/8/2014, 08:14 PM
I like the Little Brother deal More than calling em a Rival and I dont really care for that Brother crap either.
Just keep beatin the sheep shat out of em an Im happy.

ashley
2/8/2014, 08:31 PM
Sure we are.

8timechamps
2/8/2014, 09:25 PM
Some of them do. Some don't. It's really going to depend on what you mean when you say rivalry. I, along with many others, think Texas is our only rival.

We don't call them a rival, because they never beat us. By definition, that's necessary. A&M and Tech have been beating us more consistently. Shoot, even Baylor beats us more often, and K-State is always a tough one with Snyder. Are we going to call everybody in the Big XII our rivals? In a weak form, I guess that's accurate.

I first noticed the players calling OSU a rivalry two years ago, when Gabe Ikard was doing an interview. After that, I started to notice more and more, and the latest was Brennan Clay (recently asked what his favorite moment at OU was and he talked about beating a rival in OT by scoring the winning touchdown).

Like I said, the OU/OSU game is not the RRR, and never will be (unless they go on some unprecedented run over the next 100 years). But, as I also said, that's a rare rivalry. Most teams don't have that kind of game. So, the OU/OSU game doesn't compare. However, the OSU game does hold more importance than just "any conference game". A lot of OU fans won't admit that, but that's just silly. Does beating OSU mean as much to OU as it means to OSU to beat OU? No. Not even close. But that doesn't mean it isn't a rivalry.

Temujin gave a perfect example of a similar rivalry that is pretty lopsided: MU/KU hoops. It's a rivalry, but not a "great" one. I see the OU/OSU competitions very similar. I realize the record is very lopsided, but that doesn't really mean much. With the exception of the 2008 Tech game, the loudest I've heard Memorial Stadium in the recent years was the end of the OSU/OU game a couple of years back. Yeah, it was an exciting game, but there was more going on than just beating "another" conference team.

I'm not speaking for you, but I think a lot of OU fans feel if they admit it's a rivalry then it gives OSU some kind of undue credit. I think the record speaks for itself, and I still think it's a rivalry.

8timechamps
2/8/2014, 09:26 PM
I like the Little Brother deal More than calling em a Rival and I dont really care for that Brother crap either.
Just keep beatin the sheep shat out of em an Im happy.

Winning takes care of pretty much everything. Just win!

Curly Bill
2/8/2014, 10:17 PM
I first noticed the players calling OSU a rivalry two years ago, when Gabe Ikard was doing an interview. After that, I started to notice more and more, and the latest was Brennan Clay (recently asked what his favorite moment at OU was and he talked about beating a rival in OT by scoring the winning touchdown).

Like I said, the OU/OSU game is not the RRR, and never will be (unless they go on some unprecedented run over the next 100 years). But, as I also said, that's a rare rivalry. Most teams don't have that kind of game. So, the OU/OSU game doesn't compare. However, the OSU game does hold more importance than just "any conference game". A lot of OU fans won't admit that, but that's just silly. Does beating OSU mean as much to OU as it means to OSU to beat OU? No. Not even close. But that doesn't mean it isn't a rivalry.

Temujin gave a perfect example of a similar rivalry that is pretty lopsided: MU/KU hoops. It's a rivalry, but not a "great" one. I see the OU/OSU competitions very similar. I realize the record is very lopsided, but that doesn't really mean much. With the exception of the 2008 Tech game, the loudest I've heard Memorial Stadium in the recent years was the end of the OSU/OU game a couple of years back. Yeah, it was an exciting game, but there was more going on than just beating "another" conference team.

I'm not speaking for you, but I think a lot of OU fans feel if they admit it's a rivalry then it gives OSU some kind of undue credit. I think the record speaks for itself, and I still think it's a rivalry.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

olevetonahill
2/8/2014, 11:13 PM
Ding! Ding! Ding!

But if its the truth!
Why give em any thing to brag about?

Curly Bill
2/9/2014, 12:06 AM
The whole "little brother", and all that other stuff just sounds condescending and juvenile. I fully recognize the overwhelming record we hold over them and I definitely hope it continues, but to act like it's not a rivalry is just silly.

Curly Bill
2/9/2014, 12:11 AM
Also let me add this:

How about because we're better than they are! And we don't have to act like a bunch of silly little teenagers to reinforce that?

olevetonahill
2/9/2014, 12:11 AM
The whole "little brother", and all that other stuff just sounds condescending and juvenile. I fully recognize the overwhelming record we hold over them and I definitely hope it continues, but to act like it's not a rivalry is just silly.
Well accordin to Webster I guess yer right in One aspect LOl
They do TRY to defeat OU and they Do think they ALMOST as good :cheerful:

1ri·val
noun \ˈrī-vəl\

: a person or thing that tries to defeat or be more successful than another

: something or someone that is as good or almost as good as another person or thing

olevetonahill
2/9/2014, 12:16 AM
Ok here we go, OU is Charlie anOsEwe is Alan hows that?
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCk-jMEeHzTNHQyvEKTacEmxlYQcrl22CpzO2r9iJL19Jf_OZ5Yw

Curly Bill
2/9/2014, 12:21 AM
Works for me!

Everyone knows OU is better than OSU. Hell, deep down inside they know it too.

When you have major scoreboard on someone you can either be the bigger man, or you can stoop to their level.

Piware
2/9/2014, 01:05 AM
No, they are not a rival - they are an annoyance. The Pukes are like the nerdy cousin that has to be invited to family picnics and reunions but no one really wants to have to spend anytime with him/her. We have to put up with their garish orange butts a few hours a year and that is fine with me. Just kick their a$$ and send them into the sunset for another year.

Temujin
2/9/2014, 01:09 AM
Works for me!

Everyone knows OU is better than OSU. Hell, deep down inside they know it too.

When you have major scoreboard on someone you can either be the bigger man, or you can stoop to their level.

This, 100%. Just head over to Badger's meltdown threads and notice how different the comments are to most fan bases...particularly when they lose to OU. They're hilarious, but they're also subhuman. All fans get a little punchy when they lose, but when OSU loses to OU, that fan base turns into a bunch of neanderthals.

2/9/2014, 01:40 AM
We have to put up with their garish orange butts a few hours a year this is pretty much what the "rivalry" has meant to me. Is that disrespectful?...well, yeah.

Jason White's Third Knee
2/9/2014, 07:38 AM
They are the only team that we consistently play in-state. Commentators are going to use the phrase "in-state rivalry" because it sounds more exciting than "in-state game". The game is called "Bedlam". Terrifying. If we played Tulsa more often, would they be an instate rival? They have beaten us 30% of the time. More than osu by percentage. Oklahoma is 18-7-1 against Tusla.

I guess we could be considered rivals in wrestling. Or softball. Or corn hole tourneys. I only post in the football forum for a reason. I don't really watch the other stuff.

Flying Scotsman
2/9/2014, 05:12 PM
No. Not ever. Never will be.

PrideMom
2/10/2014, 10:24 AM

My feelings exactly!

PrideMom
2/10/2014, 10:25 AM
OSU is like that mesquito in the room late at night that keeps buzzing around and you can't find it to swat it!

SoonerMarkVA
2/10/2014, 11:00 AM
I'd be pretty much indifferent to them if they weren't a millstone around our necks for conference alignment. When the XII implodes, they may take us down.

PalmBeachSooner
2/10/2014, 11:05 AM
OSU is a pain in the arse.

badger
2/10/2014, 11:38 AM
I'd be pretty much indifferent to them if they weren't a millstone around our necks for conference alignment. When the XII implodes, they may take us down.

I remember some saying the same thing about Texas Tech with Texas... that they had legislators ready to stand in the way if Texas tried to go in another direction, if Tech wasn't included in reallignment discussions, etc.

If Oklahoma was a bigger state, OSU would be our Texas Tech... a smaller, less successful school and athletic program that is usually not taken seriously on a national level, but occasionally has some success of note. Highly annoying fanbase with crappy fans that embarrass themselves and their state (flying turkey legs, anyone?) but we support them because it's what's best for the entire state, not just what's best for only us.

Their recent success in football is to be commended, as is their renewed commitment to funding their athletics facilities, building their season ticket holder base and also the rest of their campus with alumni pledges. But, I personally do not consider them a football "rival."

2/10/2014, 01:41 PM
I'd be pretty much indifferent to them if they weren't a millstone around our necks for conference alignment. When the XII implodes, they may take us down.bottom line on the orange aggy rivalry.

Curly Bill
2/10/2014, 02:08 PM
OMG! The Big 12 is gonna implode and we'll never be able to play the football again! Dang you orange aggy for dooming the Big 12 and the future of Sooner football!

Good grief ladies. Get a grip!

Wishboned
2/10/2014, 03:38 PM
Growing up I never considered OSU a rivalry. Part of that is because from the age of 11 until I was 25 OU won every game against OSU. I pitied them mostly.

But the last few years, especially with the attitude of their fans I have developed a desire for them to lose every game. And I get nervous when they play OU.

To me this is what a rivalry is about.

Temujin
2/10/2014, 04:24 PM
OSU might be irrelevant in a lot of ways. But hell will freeze over before I ever feel indifferent about losing to them.

Aries
2/10/2014, 04:41 PM
If you look at the overall series they can't get anywhere close to catching up in my lifetime. But when Texas points to their total series, we tell them ancient history doesn't count.

If you look at the last three games, two of them came down to the last few seconds or the last play. The one that didn't doesn't help our argument. Recently, we've found ways to win most of the time, but they've been as competitive as my heart can take.

I would say it used to be a "gimme" game, but recently it's become a rivalry.

olevetonahill
2/10/2014, 04:48 PM
I think Yall spendin way to much time worrying about em.

Aries
2/10/2014, 04:50 PM
I do worry about them anymore. It's a much tougher game to win than it used to be.

And I hate losing to them worse than anyone. Orange wear pops up from every corner for a year if they win. It's worse than Texas. I don't HAVE to go to Texas.

olevetonahill
2/10/2014, 05:07 PM
I do worry about them anymore. It's a much tougher game to win than it used to be.

And I hate losing to them worse than anyone. Orange wear pops up from every corner for a year if they win. It's worse than Texas. I don't HAVE to go to Texas.

Like I said they like a Sore Peter, getting harder an harder to beat!
Just worry about em one week a year. screw all this other carp!

Aries
2/10/2014, 05:18 PM
LOL! What makes you think I worry about them more than one week a year? But the question was... are they a "rival"? IMO, they have been recently.

olevetonahill
2/10/2014, 05:38 PM

LOL! What makes you think I worry about them more than one week a year? But the question was... are they a "rival"? IMO, they have been recently.

The way ya said ya worry about em made me think ya did LOL

I dont even much think about em till Game week

Aries
2/10/2014, 06:53 PM
>>I dont even much think about em till Game week <<

Yep. That's when I worry about them. :)

Snrinhouston
2/10/2014, 08:49 PM
Sure, I consider them a rival (and I think most of the posters on this thread really do to, though they may not want to immediately admit it)…Certainly the rivalry doesn't have the intensity of the Texas game, but that's because we've dominated the matchup. But certainly the heat's gone up given the better teams T Boone has put on the field lately. And the typical OSU fan probably feels more passion for the game than the typical OU fan…again because of the lopsided record.

OU-Kansas, OU-Iowa State…definitely not football rivals.

SoonerMarkVA
2/10/2014, 09:00 PM
OSU might be irrelevant in a lot of ways. But hell will freeze over before I ever feel indifferent about losing to them.

OK, I'll grant you that. I hate losing to them far and away more than any other team.

But since that's such a rare event, indifference over the average wins out.

Eielson
2/10/2014, 10:16 PM
I hate losing to anybody.

2/10/2014, 11:49 PM
Sure, I consider them a rival (and I think most of the posters on this thread really do to, though they may not want to immediately admit it)…Certainly the rivalry doesn't have the intensity of the Texas game, but that's because we've dominated the matchup. But certainly the heat's gone up given the better teams T Boone has put on the field lately. And the typical OSU fan probably feels more passion for the game than the typical OU fan…again because of the lopsided record.

OU-Kansas, OU-Iowa State…definitely not football rivals.They lack win-at-all-cost benefactors, like OSewe has and NikeU up in oreygone

2/10/2014, 11:50 PM
I hate losing to anybody.it shouldn't happen...evar.

birddog
2/11/2014, 10:08 AM
I keep up with their scores. I get nervous before we play em but its not texass nervous. More like kstate nervous because they DO have the talent to beat us if we don't play well.

Mazeppa
2/11/2014, 08:21 PM
Rivalry? Now this is a rivalry:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/alabama-commitment-rashaan-evans-says-telling-auburn-restaurants-144118463--ncaaf.html

SoonerMachine
2/13/2014, 10:52 AM
Well, I wouldn't miss it if we stopped playing 'em. And, I don't care what part of the season we schedule it. So no, it's not a true rival to me...

2/13/2014, 02:13 PM
I keep up with their scores. I get nervous before we play em but its not texass nervous. More like kstate nervous because they DO have the talent to beat us if we don't play well.yep

2/13/2014, 02:14 PM
Well, I wouldn't miss it if we stopped playing 'em. And, I don't care what part of the season we schedule it. So no, it's not a true rival to me...yep