PDA

View Full Version : Will Strong and Sumlin get the ATM/utexus rivalry going again?

TAFBSooner
2/7/2014, 10:38 AM
Referring to A&M's recruiting helicopter -

Coach Strong: "we're not going to be a gadget program"

Coach Sumlin: "we'd better get more gadgets"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/kevin-sumlin-responds-charlie-strong-gadget-program-comments-165302586--ncaaf.html

badger
2/7/2014, 11:24 AM
As cocky as the Aggroid bastards have been lately, they had four losses last year. Johnny got them a Heisman and basically nothing else... not that a Heisman is anything to sneeze at, but they were never in contention for the SEC championship, they were never considered a national championship caliber program, they weren't ever in contention for being a BCS bowl at-large selection, and in this new 4-team playoff, they aren't going to be mentioned as preseason, in-season or postseason favorites to make the field any season.

Welcome the downfall of being part of a bloated 14-team conference --- even if you beat Bama at Bama, you will never be as good as Bama

(whereas when we beat Bama, people won't stop talking about us all offseason)

thecrimsoncrusader
2/7/2014, 11:40 AM
Indeed. They went 9-4 with their best QB AND receiver ever and now they won't have either next season. I don't care who they get in their recruiting class, they will never get another Johnny Manziel in the Sumlin era, not even close. Not to mention Manziel wasn't even a Sumlin recruit.

stoopified
2/7/2014, 02:30 PM
Don't know if they will but they should.Ithink that just like OU- Nebraska,the UT aTm rivalry type games is what makes CFB great.I would like to see OU-Nebraska return to a regular game.I say add them as a permanent noncon team much like UT used to be.

badger
2/7/2014, 02:34 PM
As for their "top" recruiting class, it was only third-best in the SEC... and of course, Ole Miss did tons with their "top" class last year, didn't they :P

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2014, 03:04 PM
Sadly, it is not really up to the coaches. Yeah, they (coaches) have some impact on the schedule, but it is the AD's office that handles scheduling.very l

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2014, 03:07 PM
As for their "top" recruiting class, it was only third-best in the SEC... and of course, Ole Miss did tons with their "top" class last year, didn't they :P

They had their best season (8-5) since 2009. All while playing a bunch of freshmen.

TAFBSooner
2/7/2014, 05:43 PM
Sadly, it is not really up to the coaches. Yeah, they (coaches) have some impact on the schedule, but it is the AD's office that handles scheduling.very l

Sure, the ADs make the schedules. But will we see the ADs go "Let me answer that for Kevin/Charlie" and make nice? Or are the coaches 'authorized' to rile up each others' fan bases, and maybe put some pressure on to continue the rivalry?

8timechamps
2/7/2014, 05:44 PM

THIS.

Even if Strong and Sumlin had a secret meeting, and agreed to start the game back up, it would mean exactly nothing. I'm not sure the morons in charge will ever put their egos aside enough to reinstate that game.

8timechamps
2/7/2014, 05:45 PM
Also, I wouldn't dismiss A&M just yet. Yeah, they lost the best QB they've ever had, but they have recruited as well as anyone in the country over the past two years. Unfortunately, I think they'll be relevant for a while.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/7/2014, 05:52 PM
Also, I wouldn't dismiss A&M just yet. Yeah, they lost the best QB they've ever had, but they have recruited as well as anyone in the country over the past two years. Unfortunately, I think they'll be relevant for a while.Sumlin was lucky to come in as HC, just as johnny hymen came to atm. Sumlin has, indeed, recruited in a great way, and it's too early to tell how he will be as HC with his own guys...yet. IMO, we can't evaluate him for 2-3 years, unless he gets really lucky, or screws up really badly.

8timechamps
2/7/2014, 05:54 PM
Sumlin was lucky to come in as HC, just as johnny hymen came to atm. Sumlin has, indeed, recruited in a great way, and it's too early to tell how he will be as HC with his own guys...yet. IMO, we can't evaluate him for 2-3 years, unless he gets really lucky, or screws up really badly.

Agreed. It remains to be seen if Sumlin can sustain the little bit of success A&M has had. No question about it, he arrived at the perfect time.

bluedogok
2/7/2014, 05:56 PM
The AD's will still have to defer to the school president/chancellor and the respective Board of Regents. The chances of it getting started back up is very minimal....

TAFBSooner
2/7/2014, 05:59 PM
THIS.

Even if Strong and Sumlin had a secret meeting, and agreed to start the game back up, it would mean exactly nothing. I'm not sure the morons in charge will ever put their egos aside enough to reinstate that game.

At least one side now has a different egotistical moron in charge. So there's hope.

I want to see A&M beat tu often, if for no other reason than that it would tend to show that it's better to have a coach that came through OU at some point.

2/7/2014, 06:18 PM
The AD's will still have to defer to the school president/chancellor and the respective Board of Regents. The chances of it getting started back up is very minimal....Now with aTm on a recruiting tear, and all that momentum, prolly not much reason for them to even want to resume a rivalry with the cows.

ouwasp
2/7/2014, 06:57 PM
Do they play each other in other sports?

SicEmBaylor
2/7/2014, 07:15 PM
I hope not. That glorified clown vocational college in College Station can disappear into a sink hole for all eternity. Screw them.

8timechamps
2/7/2014, 07:22 PM
At least one side now has a different egotistical moron in charge. So there's hope.

I want to see A&M beat tu often, if for no other reason than that it would tend to show that it's better to have a coach that came through OU at some point.

In many cases, I would agree, but the ego issues between Aggies and Longhorns is still too much at play. There are alumni of each school that won't do business with one another just because of their alma mater.

I've always like Sumlin (exactly because he was once a Sooner), but I would be really happy if he moved along to the NFL. A&M is one of those programs that I really dislike when they are successful. I'm sure the 2013 Cotton Bowl has a lot to do with that, because I never used to give the Aggies much thought, one way or another.

Salt City Sooner
2/7/2014, 11:43 PM
Agreed. It remains to be seen if Sumlin can sustain the little bit of success A&M has had. No question about it, he arrived at the perfect time.
He did the same thing at Houston when Briles left him Case Keenum. How good he is at evaluating H.S. QB's is one of the bigger questions I still have about him. I'm not saying that he can't do it, or is bad at it (in fact it'd surprise me if he did indeed struggle w/ it), just saying that he hasn't had to do it to this point in his HC career.

2/8/2014, 01:39 AM
I've always like Sumlin (exactly because he was once a Sooner), but I would be really happy if he moved along to the NFL. A&M is one of those programs that I really dislike when they are successful. I'm sure the 2013 Cotton Bowl has a lot to do with that, because I never used to give the Aggies much thought, one way or another.No wonder. We have BIGTIME scoreboard on atm, although not as big as we have with our home state aggy. Even the cows have bigtime scoreboard on lassie aggie. It truly was embarrassing to get Tavon Austined by Johnny Hymen, for a second time in the same year.

oupride
2/8/2014, 06:24 AM
Don't care really. A lot of ATM fans were angry about UT breaking up the BIG 12 with their ESPN network contract. I was angry too and still upset about it. However, ATM left and added to break down of the conference.

OU_Sooners75
2/8/2014, 12:36 PM
Sure, the ADs make the schedules. But will we see the ADs go "Let me answer that for Kevin/Charlie" and make nice? Or are the coaches 'authorized' to rile up each others' fan bases, and maybe put some pressure on to continue the rivalry?

I think when each schools tempers die down for each other, then the rivalry will continue. Texas wont lose the recruiting wars in Texas for very long. Give Strong a year or two and Texas will once again be out recruiting A&M in Texas.

Kids in Texas grow up being Whorn fans, not Agget fans.

bluedogok
2/8/2014, 03:24 PM
Do they play each other in other sports?
According to Dodds they will not play each other in any sport. I'm sure that will continue for awhile.

Kids in Texas grow up being Whorn fans, not Agget fans.
That's not entirely true, in many areas kids grow up Aggie or Tech fans. All of those schools have fans which could never go to any of those schools. My wife grew up in West Texas and never wanted to go to UT, she went to Tech instead and SWT for grad school (also considered OSU but in-state tuition won out). I have had more than a few co-workers that felt the same way, they went to Tech or A&M and never wanted to go to UT. Very few would purposely choose U of H, UTSA or UTEP over Texas (unless there are family ties) but A&M and Tech really are on a similar level to UT.

Mac94
2/8/2014, 06:43 PM
Two seasons later and ya'll still miss us ;)

Mac94
2/8/2014, 06:50 PM
Seriously ... I do think that A&M and Texas will renue the series in time ... but it'll be awhile. From my lone point of view though ... I really don't miss the game like I thought I would. The SEC has been fun with the return of the LSU game as well as the Hogs and a new budding rivalry with Bama ... and the auburn and Ole Miss series are fun as well.

Fro the Texas' fan point of view I wonder how they see all of this. Being 45 I remember when Texas had it's three huge rivalry games ... games they could always count on... OU, Arkansas, and A&M. Then following 1991 Arkansas left to go to the SEC and that series ended. But they still had OU and A&M. Now we're gone too. For the older horn fan it has to be hard seeing the games they relished disappear from the schedule.

badger
2/8/2014, 07:18 PM
Two seasons later and ya'll still miss us ;)

Miss yes, but wasn't going to beg you repeatedly to stay in the big 12. It was pretty clear you all wanted sec more than big 12 and even keeping games with ut and ou annually wasn't going to stop you

Eielson
2/8/2014, 07:38 PM
I would trade WVU and TCU back for A&M and Mizzou, but we're just fine without y'all.

Mac94
2/8/2014, 07:52 PM
Miss yes, but wasn't going to beg you repeatedly to stay in the big 12. It was pretty clear you all wanted sec more than big 12 and even keeping games with ut and ou annually wasn't going to stop you

As I've said before on this site ... the A&M / SEC thing goes back to before the formation of the Big-12 ... there has long been a desire by many Aggies to go to the SEC ... I remember the rumors back when I was a student. As for keeping and losing games ... remember ... I am an OU fan ... but losing the OU game isn;t a loss for A&M. That is a series without long term history for A&M ... just like games against oSu, Kansas St., etc. The three games we lost that have history are Tech, Baylor, and Texas. The flip side is we gained back Arkansas ... a former SWC foe and a team we've played 70 times in our history (same as Tech) ... and LSU (52 games). So we lost historical games and gained back historical games.

Mac94
2/8/2014, 07:55 PM
I would trade WVU and TCU back for A&M and Mizzou, but we're just fine without y'all.

Agreed ... where the Sooners have lost out in all of this mess is the loss of the Nebraska series ... that game has such historical meaning for both programs that losing it I think hurt both schools.

8timechamps
2/8/2014, 09:42 PM
Agreed ... where the Sooners have lost out in all of this mess is the loss of the Nebraska series ... that game has such historical meaning for both programs that losing it I think hurt both schools.

Moving from the Big XII hurt Nebraska much more than it did OU. Their pipeline to Texas has all but dried up, and it's going to take a long time (if ever) for them to get a good pipeline into the rust belt. Sadly, I think they may be mediocre for a while.

It's funny, because just as you were talking about not missing the A&M/Texas game as much as you thought, that's kinda how I feel about the OU/NU game. However, I did miss it when the conference first went to the two year rotation, but by the time they left, it wasn't really a shock to the system.

I still believe Texas started the break-up of the conference with their media demands, but NU & Colorado put the nail in the original Big XII coffin. The departure of A&M/Mizzou was just salt in an already gaping wound.

WVU & TCU worked as a stop-gap measure, but no question the perception of the conference took a big hit. In time, I think TCU could add to the conference (from a football stand point), but I just don't think WVU will ever make much sense. I fully accept them as a member of the conference, but it's always going to be weird seeing Big XII games (of any kind) in West Virginia.

Mazeppa
2/8/2014, 09:57 PM
The old big 12 was fun, with the rivals and all, but so was my old 8 track player. Time moves on and so does college football.

Eielson
2/9/2014, 07:06 PM
WVU could bring some entertaining teams, though. Guys like Slaton, Devine, White, Geno, Austin, etc. have sure been fun to watch if nothing else.

sooneron
2/9/2014, 11:07 PM
WVU & TCU worked as a stop-gap measure, but no question the perception of the conference took a big hit. In time, I think TCU could add to the conference (from a football stand point), but I just don't think WVU will ever make much sense. I fully accept them as a member of the conference, but it's always going to be weird seeing Big XII games (of any kind) in West Virginia.
I think the only reason why the conf took a hit was because of Mizzou's recent success (albeit failures in champ games) and atm's upswing in 2010 which turned into a splash in the sec. If they don't reload and they keep losing 4-5 games a year, people will almost consider it a wash because people will remember that atm won the south outright, TWO whole times while winning it once. A lot of fans and alums, but not much else.

Scott D
2/10/2014, 09:42 AM
I think the only reason why the conf took a hit was because of Mizzou's recent success (albeit failures in champ games) and atm's upswing in 2010 which turned into a splash in the sec. If they don't reload and they keep losing 4-5 games a year, people will almost consider it a wash because people will remember that atm won the south outright, TWO whole times while winning it once. A lot of fans and alums, but not much else.

Yeah, but that has been Mizzou's MO in the last 8 years in the Big 12 :D

radio
2/11/2014, 11:30 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SXxiIgkEoUM

NASH79
2/16/2014, 01:24 AM
Would love to see the Lone Star Showdown make a comeback. I think it will happen since DeLodd is out of the way in Austin.

2/16/2014, 02:37 AM
I think when each schools tempers die down for each other, then the rivalry will continue. Texas wont lose the recruiting wars in Texas for very long. Give Strong a year or two and Texas will once again be out recruiting A&M in Texas.

Kids in Texas grow up being Whorn fans, not Agget fans.IMO it was a smart move by the cows to get a black football coach to combat Sumlin in recruiting. We at OU had a MOST timely conquest of LosuR and especially Bama, to aid us in recruiting this year. If Strong recruits well, both he and Stoops will make it harder for Sumlin to exploit the state of tx like he did with this year's recruiting season..