PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Night College football

Mac94
2/6/2014, 11:59 AM
The ESPN Thursday night games have been a boon for the "mid major" type conferences and now larger conferences for visability on a national stage. Being "the game" of the night has helped raise the visability of programs across the nation but it seems that's no longer the case. We know know the NFL has moved into Thursday night with the NFL network but being on cable kept those games a bit more off the radar. Now, CBS is picking up 8 Thursday night NFL games (first 8 weeks of the season) that will be played during the heart of the college football season. How much will this drive down ratings for ESPN and their college games? Will the NFL's huge step into college football's territory drive the major conferences away from Thursday night?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10408225/nfl-cbs-partner-thursday-package

picasso
2/6/2014, 12:02 PM
More power to them.

ESPN ruined Monday Night Football.

8timechamps
2/6/2014, 05:46 PM
Good question Mac, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the announcement.

I think it depends who's in the games (both NCAA and NFL). Unless the Broncos are playing, I'll be watching college football. But, I'm much more of a college fan.

There was a time when I didn't miss MNF, that's not the case any more. Unless it's the Bronocs, or an important game with playoff implications, I just don't watch it anymore. As for Thursday night games, I've only ever watched the Broncos.

I think ESPN may have seen this coming, so they started to bolster the slate of Thursday night games. It will probably benefit them.

ouwasp
2/7/2014, 12:01 AM
I pretty much only use the NFL for Sunday afternoon sleep fodder. Gotta be careful about Thursday night watching...might induce an early nap. Hope the pros don't interfere too much with cfb.

shytnik
2/16/2014, 01:17 PM
Won't change my viewing habits any, I much prefer to watch college than pro. I think it will have an impact because overall the NFL is the number 1 draw in this country, but for me I'll still be watching the college game.

JLEW1818
2/16/2014, 05:57 PM
It's called two TVs. Ain't hard.

swardboy
2/17/2014, 07:58 AM
Split screen

Jacie
2/17/2014, 11:43 AM
So now that teams from the big 6 conferences have co-opted it, what will be next for the mid-majors? Wednesday night football?

Ruf/Nek7
2/18/2014, 10:08 AM
Anything that knocks at ESPiN is ok with me.

oupride
2/21/2014, 02:12 PM
Bring it. The more football the better.