PDA

View Full Version : Seinfeld ignores PC...must be a racist

okie52
2/6/2014, 11:45 AM
Seinfeld: Worries About Diversity in Comedy are 'PC Nonsense'
Wednesday, 05 Feb 2014 02:38 PM
By Melissa Clyne

Jerry Seinfeld has no interest in getting into the diversity debate on television.

During a BuzzFeed interview on "CBS This Morning," Seinfeld, in his trademark dry tone, told Peter Lauria that he's annoyed by the enduring question about whether the cast of his new Web series, "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee," is stacked with white men like himself.

“[Do] people think it’s the census or something?” Seinfeld quipped, drawing laughter from the audience. “We represent the actual pie chart of America? Who cares? I have no interest in gender or race or anything like that.”

He jokingly told Lauria to “take a look around, Peter, what do you see? A lotta ******! What’s going on here?” before getting more serious and explaining his position.

“Everyone else is calculating, is this the exact right mix? To me, it’s anti-comedy. It’s more about PC nonsense than are you making us laugh?”

Time magazine writer Lily Rothman devoted a column to Seinfeld’s interview and the subject of race and gender diversity in comedy, saying the comedian “might regret being so flip.”

His answer, she opined, “is now driving the latest controversy over the racial and gender makeup of the comedy world.”

“It’s possible that 'Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee' won’t drive conversation for long enough to have an impact, but if the issue stays in the spotlight, Seinfeld’s perspective will lose,” Rothman wrote.

“A continued lack of diversity on his show would prove his detractors’ point — and make him look racist and sexist, even if he’s merely failing to actively think about matters of race and sex — while increased diversity would seem to acknowledge that the “nonsense” isn’t so nonsensical at all.

"There’s no longer a way for a prominent comedian with Seinfeld’s level of influence to be so glib about the issue — especially given that of his 26 guests, only two have been women and another two have been nonwhite. (There have been no minority women guests so far.)”

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/US/jerry-seinfeld-minorities-tv-quotas/2014/02/05/id/551086#ixzz2sYnwicy6

sooner_born_1960
2/6/2014, 12:29 PM
But black people aren't funny.

Ton Loc
2/6/2014, 12:34 PM
Writers are such hacks these days. Quickly take whatever they can out of an interview, drag it out of context and fabricate a new story that will attract attention.

badger
2/6/2014, 01:46 PM
It's kind of like McDonald's constantly being told to offer salads, and then nobody buys their salads, but rather, their unhealthy food that everyone tells them to stop serving since it's destroying America or whatever.

Seinfeld is going to offer what gives him the biggest audience. If he bends to the orders of people who probably don't watch him anyway, what's the end result? Less of an audience.

Boomer.....
2/6/2014, 01:51 PM
They would never ask the questions to a black person.

badger
2/6/2014, 02:31 PM
They would never ask the questions to a black person.

I'm kind of over that argument and all variations of it (why isn't there a white history month, why isn't there a white entertainment television channel, etc). It's as broken of a record as the diversity PC stuff

Boomer.....
2/6/2014, 02:37 PM
It's 100% true though.

Curly Bill
2/6/2014, 06:14 PM
Another reason to think Seinfeld is greatness!

olevetonahill
2/6/2014, 06:48 PM
I'm kind of over that argument and all variations of it (why isn't there a white history month, why isn't there a white entertainment television channel, etc). It's as broken of a record as the diversity PC stuff

Its because ONLY Whites held slaves here in America and Now we cant EXCLUDE the Blacks But they can Exclude the Whites
Oh wait, Whats this?

Philip Burnham, in the article "Selling Poor Steven" published in the February/March 1993 issue of American Heritage, found that in the US Census of 1830 there were 3,775 free blacks who owned 12,740 black slaves.

What BLACK Slave Holders? It wasnt the EVIL White man, It was simply The GREEDY man who held slaves.

http://www.ironbarkresources.com/slaves/whiteslaves05.htm

SCOUT
2/9/2014, 02:05 AM

What if there was specificity to it. Why doesn't Tyler Perry have 75% white people on his shows? That is what the population really is?

I realize it is ridiculous, but isn't that the point?

OU_Sooners75
2/9/2014, 12:02 PM
Ok, so I have drove around my neighborhood a few times since I have lived here. How many blacks live in my neighborhood? Not one black family. This isn't a wealthy neighborhood, nor is it a suburb I live it.

That said, there are a couple of Native American families. A couple of Latino families. But not one black family.

That is over a 3 block radius.

But if I was to look out my window; all my immediate neighbors are white, except one family, which is Native American.

One other thing I have noticed, from TV and in person...Black people are by far more racist than any white person I that know.

Breadburner
2/9/2014, 03:53 PM
I guess Chris Rock and Mario Joyner are not Black.,.......

stoopified
2/9/2014, 04:12 PM
Why is ****** only offensive when used by a white person?The comment about how racist blacks are prompted this.I have had black classmates,teammates and coworkers and one immuttable fact stands; they will dog each other both in anger and jest with the word ******.A few months ago I saw a Paul Mooney stanup routine where he used ****** 32 times in a two minute spab(timed it) He even said Barack Obama is his ******.If blacks want whites to truly acsept that ****** is as foul as they claim,they need to start by looking in the mirror and acting like it themselves.

If Jeff Orr the TT fan did call Smart a ******,so what ?iF a black man had done it,they would laugh about,high-five and it would be over. BTW where are the witnesses to confirm Smart's story?

Turd_Ferguson
2/9/2014, 06:07 PM
I'm bout tired of all these *******'s...

Soonerjeepman
2/9/2014, 09:54 PM
I'm kind of over the diversity PC stuff

there, fixed it for ya~

Soonerjeepman
2/9/2014, 09:56 PM
okay so some lib writer is promoting the racial/sex pc crap...she basically proclaims that Seinfeld is racist and sexist if he doesn't change. If I was Seinfeld I'd sue her...shut her a@@ up.

FaninAma
2/10/2014, 11:21 AM
Its because ONLY Whites held slaves here in America and Now we cant EXCLUDE the Blacks But they can Exclude the Whites
Oh wait, Whats this?

What BLACK Slave Holders? It wasnt the EVIL White man, It was simply The GREEDY man who held slaves.

http://www.ironbarkresources.com/slaves/whiteslaves05.htm

The first slaves brought to the western hemisphere were Irish slaves enslaved by the British Empire. As a percentage of their total population more Irish were enslaved than were Africans.

badger, the reason people keep bringing up the dichotomy is because it is true. Whites are the only race discouraged from showing pride in their race and culture. I do see a trend for more nad more whites to just say "F' it, I'm not going to allow the political correctness BS to guilt me into silence."

badger
2/10/2014, 01:32 PM
badger, the reason people keep bringing up the dichotomy is because it is true. Whites are the only race discouraged from showing pride in their race and culture. I do see a trend for more nad more whites to just say "F' it, I'm not going to allow the political correctness BS to guilt me into silence."

Perhaps I'm getting tired of it because the same argument is always used, it seems. For example, what if the only argument we used for OU being better than OSU as football was the head-to-head record. It's completely true and completely plausible, but there are many other valid arguments out there to make that point. We have more Heisman Trophy winners. We have more national championships. We have more All-Americans. We have more conference titles. We have the 47-game winning streak.

I really think the anti-PC argument can be made in other ways besides lambasting the treatment of whites versus the treatment of blacks. That argument might as well be the childhood "it's not fair" refrain

FaninAma
2/10/2014, 02:01 PM
Perhaps I'm getting tired of it because the same argument is always used, it seems. For example, what if the only argument we used for OU being better than OSU as football was the head-to-head record. It's completely true and completely plausible, but there are many other valid arguments out there to make that point. We have more Heisman Trophy winners. We have more national championships. We have more All-Americans. We have more conference titles. We have the 47-game winning streak.

I really think the anti-PC argument can be made in other ways besides lambasting the treatment of whites versus the treatment of blacks. That argument might as well be the childhood "it's not fair" refrain

It's not an argument I would use but I certainly understand why the hypocrisy of the PC crowd wears on most people. It is a ploy straight out of the Saul Alinsky playbook to attempt to make the dominant culture feel guilty by labeling them as racists for showing pride in or believing in the advantages of their culture.

Personally, I feel sorry for the groups who have fallen victim to the progressive dependency trap and my argument is couched in those terms. Dependency is a hard trap to break free from especially once it becomes multi-generational.

badger
2/10/2014, 03:03 PM
Personally, I feel sorry for the groups who have fallen victim to the progressive dependency trap and my argument is couched in those terms. Dependency is a hard trap to break free from especially once it becomes multi-generational.

Agree. My parents instilled a sense of frugality and need-over-want that I am going to force my own daughter to grow up with too, but I'll have a bit of sympathy, knowing that it wasn't always fun to not having the name brands and the Nintendo

Someday, she'll hopefully understand why it's better to work hard and have delayed gratification. But, I also will try to not just say "Because I said so!" when she starts asking why she can't get what she wants :)

Soonerjeepman
2/10/2014, 05:27 PM
having the same argument with the GF over her 16 yr old daughter. Bought her a $4K car...when she really didn't need it. (could have gotten a cheaper one)...her argument was it'll last...3 weeks later she wrecked it. $2K worth of repairs. She gives her money for movies, dinners, etc....crazy because she grew up on a farm and worked her *** off. She feel guilty about the divorce so she does this...which is an issue with us. My kids rarely got the good stuff, we (ex and I) are both teachers and just couldn't afford it.

badger
2/10/2014, 05:38 PM
grew up on a farm and worked her *** off. She feel guilty about the divorce so she does this...which is an issue with us

I can understand the farm part --- best friend's family liked luxury when they traveled and they have always been generous, possibly because barn work makes you appreciate non-barn life.

As for the divorce thing, I've heard that it's the ultimate guilt tripper card for kids to play, but I have no experience with it

How does this relate to Seinfeld and PC stuff? I guess the whole guilt tripping thing. We feel bad about our country's past so we want to make the present as awesome as possible for as many people as possible?

Soonerjeepman
2/10/2014, 10:29 PM
lol...sorry, should have quoted you...about raising your child knowing she isn't going to get everything...or maybe that was a different thread..lol.

I will say the girl doesn't come out and use the divorce, but she hangs around with a lot of Jones's so Cindy feels guilty...we are changing though.