PDA

View Full Version : Scholarship Numbers Clarification

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/5/2014, 05:54 PM
Since 8x's post is locked, I'm going to put the discrepancies here.

By my calc we are 3 over - 1 transfer (Kendal Thompson) = 2 over

I have the following on scholarship that 8x doesn't

JRs (discrepancy 2)
Trey Franks
Tony Feo

So
Londell Taylor

Anyway if we can clear these guys up, I'll get next year's charts updated with redshirts and we can move on.

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 06:29 PM
I'll adjust. Thanks JKM.

Since jkm's chart blows mine away, I'll make the updates, but going forward, we'll default to his superior work.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/5/2014, 06:35 PM
I'll adjust. Thanks JKM.

Since jkm's chart blows mine away, I'll make the updates, but going forward, we'll default to his superior work.

I'm not saying their right, thus the need for clarification. Franks I assume is back on scholly after his suspension, but that is just an assumption.

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 06:36 PM
Franks is on scholarship, as is Feo.

I just looked at your numbers, and they are correct. So, I'm going to delete my thread.

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 06:38 PM
Also, Londell Taylor is a junior.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/5/2014, 07:59 PM
Also, Londell Taylor is a junior.

Soonersports has already bumped up the classifications for next year and have him as a RS JR. I think that he was a qualified juco who left after 1 year and then redshirted here.

stoopified
2/6/2014, 03:28 PM
I thought Taylor played pro baseball then came to OU paid for by a clause in his contract and was not on scholly?I checked and Londell was in the Tigers organization for four years.The media guide says he was to be a qalkon ,cannot find any indication that he is on scholly.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/6/2014, 07:30 PM
I thought Taylor played pro baseball then came to OU paid for by a clause in his contract and was not on scholly?I checked and Londell was in the Tigers organization for four years.The media guide says he was to be a qalkon ,cannot find any indication that he is on scholly.

Okay, that makes sense.

I'm going to have to figure out a way to add walkons that contribute.

stoopified
2/8/2014, 05:49 AM
Franks is on scholarship, as is Feo.

I just looked at your numbers, and they are correct. So, I'm going to delete my thread.With Franks graduating and forgoing his final year of eligibility,that shpold put us on track numbers wise shouldn't it?

IronHorseSooner
2/8/2014, 06:04 AM
With Franks graduating and forgoing his final year of eligibility,that shpold put us on track numbers wise shouldn't it?

Still one over...

8timechamps
2/8/2014, 09:10 PM
With Franks graduating and forgoing his final year of eligibility,that shpold put us on track numbers wise shouldn't it?

I think we're sitting at 85. I've seen others that think we're one over, so I'm not sure which is correct. I think the folks that are seeing 86 aren't account for a walk-on (Hollis).

IronHorseSooner
2/9/2014, 09:50 AM
My Take:

Offense: 44

QB: 3 (Knight, Thomas, Hansen)
RB/FB: 7 (Ford, Ross, Mixon, Perine, Smith, Ropkowski, Flowers)
TE: 5 (Bell, McNamara, Ilajana, Grant, Meier)
WR: 11 (Shepard, Neal, Woods, Smallwood, Bennett, Young, Quick, Cavil, Andrews, Mead, Todd)
OL: 18 (Thompson, Williams, Faniok, St. John, Daimler, Brown, Frison, Shead, Savage, Evans, Kasitati, Feo, Marrs, Curtis, Paul, Darlington, Todd, Alvarez)

Defense and Special Teams: 42

DE: 6 (Tapper, Ndulue, Orso, Grissom, Dimon, Favors)
DT/NT: 7 (Phillips, Wade, Walker, Russell, Peterson, Romar, Garnett)
DE/OLB: 3 (Lindley, Onuoha, Ward)
LB: 9 (Striker, Shannon, Bond, Alexander, Franklin, Okorokwo, Reed, Bolton, Tay Evans)
NB: 3 (Wilson, Moore, Thomas)
CB: 6 (Sanchez, Johnson, Taylor, Austin, Windham, Brooks)
S: 6 (Hayes, Byrd, Thomas, Parker, McQuinnie, Green)
K/P: 2 (Hunnicutt, Barnett)

Overall Total: 86

HateTheWhorns
2/9/2014, 10:51 AM
My Take:

WR: 11 (Shepard, Neal, Woods, Smallwood, Bennett, Young, Quick, Cavil, Andrews, Mead, Todd)
OL: 18 (Thompson, Williams, Faniok, St. John, Daimler, Brown, Frison, Shead, Savage, Evans, Kasitati, Feo, Marrs, Curtis, Paul, Darlington, Todd, Alvarez)

LB: 9 (Striker, Shannon, Bond, Alexander, Franklin, Okorokwo, Reed, Bolton, Tay Evans)

Is Cody Thomas on a baseball scholarship? Plays OF for them.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/9/2014, 11:40 AM
My Take:

What year do you think Tyler Evans was put on scholarship?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/9/2014, 11:41 AM

Honestly, I'd think football would carry the scholarship just because of sheer numbers.

mainline13
2/9/2014, 01:03 PM
Honestly, I'd think football would carry the scholarship just because of sheer numbers.

Football has to count a person in that situation anyway. The result of some schools trying to get around the limits, after they were first established.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/9/2014, 03:33 PM
Football has to count a person in that situation anyway. The result of some schools trying to get around the limits, after they were first established.

Yep, looks like they tweaked the rules in 2003

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tam/genrel/auto_pdf/comp101-4-multi-sport-sas.pdf

IronHorseSooner
2/10/2014, 01:55 AM
What year do you think Tyler Evans was put on scholarship? I think he was 2009, since he was granted a 6th year.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/11/2014, 11:25 AM
I think he was 2009, since he was granted a 6th year.

Now I see why I missed him. Added a 6th year to his total.

cccasooner2
2/24/2014, 05:52 PM
My Take:

Who is Reed? Probably meant Jordan Evans. With Moore leaving, I guess we are now at 85.

NorthernIowaSooner
2/24/2014, 06:05 PM

Baseball is different as well, they don't give many full scholarships because they have fewer full scholarships than players. Guys end up with chunks of a scholarship so it's not likely he's on a full scholarship if has a baseball one as well.

LJ Moore leaving frees up that spot and should be at 85 again.

Soonerjeepman
2/25/2014, 10:25 AM
I believe baseball only has 13 full rides (they divide them up) as I'm founding out with my son, D1 schools baseball guys, unless super studs, must have a 3.5 in HS and/or a high 26 and above ACT. That way they give academic money so they can use athletic scholarships more divided.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/25/2014, 11:26 AM
I believe baseball only has 13 full rides (they divide them up) as I'm founding out with my son, D1 schools baseball guys, unless super studs, must have a 3.5 in HS and/or a high 26 and above ACT. That way they give academic money so they can use athletic scholarships more divided.

Baseball is 11.7 scholarships. When I was OU, the limit was 9.5 and academic scholarships counted against the number.

Soonerjeepman
2/26/2014, 01:09 PM
that is just asinine. Why can't baseball have the same percentage as other sports...
BBall 12 for 15 guys
football 85 for 105 guys...

just total BS.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/26/2014, 03:29 PM
that is just asinine. Why can't baseball have the same percentage as other sports...
BBall 12 for 15 guys
football 85 for 105 guys...

just total BS.

Title 9

The problem is that football soaks up 85 full scholarships and there is no equivalent women's sport for it. They have created 5 different women's sports to compensate (Equestrian, Rowing, Beach Volleyball, Rugby and Field Hockey) which is the only reason the numbers are even close in the outlying sports (like Baseball(11.7)/Softball(12), etc). It used to be much worse.

KantoSooner
2/26/2014, 04:23 PM
OU has a women's beach volleyball team!?!

When is the season and why was I not informed?

Heads will roll, let me assure you of that.

Soonerjeepman
2/26/2014, 04:49 PM
Title 9

The problem is that football soaks up 85 full scholarships and there is no equivalent women's sport for it. They have created 5 different women's sports to compensate (Equestrian, Rowing, Beach Volleyball, Rugby and Field Hockey) which is the only reason the numbers are even close in the outlying sports (like Baseball(11.7)/Softball(12), etc). It used to be much worse.
THAT part of title 9 is such bull****...

I do like the idea of beach volleyball for OU women!!! lol

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/26/2014, 05:17 PM
THAT part of title 9 is such bull****...

Have you ever had your daughter play in a basketball gym that was "sub-par" while boys were playing at the same time in a better facility? Well, imagine your daughter playing outside on half-torn down rims and then you can begin to imagine how badly the situation was before Title 9 became enforced for non-profit institutions. Something like 40% of NCAA member institutions didn't even offer athletic scholarships to women. OU was one of the big offenders when they tried to scrap the women's basketball and softball programs (which would have left them with only track and volleyball as women's sports).

Even today, there is a huge discrepancy in public funding between girls and boys sports at both a high school and college level. Having visited about every softball field in the state of Washington, it cracks me up how nice the baseball fields are compared with some of the horse pastures where girls are expected to play. Yet strangely enough, girls athletic facilities rarely make it onto voter initiatives by high schools.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/26/2014, 05:27 PM
OU has a women's beach volleyball team!?!

When is the season and why was I not informed?

Heads will roll, let me assure you of that.

It is just one of the teams that you can use to balance out numbers.

OU is kind of in an odd situation, they have more women's sports, but they are way behind in numbers of scholarships. They could probably add Beach Volleyball and make money off of it but it is only 3 scholarships. I wouldn't be surprised if they add either equestrian or swimming/diving in the next 5 or so years to add another 18 scholarships to the women's totals.
Men - 147.5, Women - 117

KantoSooner
2/27/2014, 02:37 PM
Actually, rowing could draw some audience. Largely because you get to sit outside with either a nice fire going or with a cool beverage and watch boat races. Very calming.
(disclaimer: yes, I rowed. Most zen sport ever.)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/27/2014, 04:27 PM
Actually, rowing could draw some audience. Largely because you get to sit outside with either a nice fire going or with a cool beverage and watch boat races. Very calming.
(disclaimer: yes, I rowed. Most zen sport ever.)

They've already added rowing.

http://www.soonersports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=31000&SPID=127244&SPSID=750320

I have absolutely no idea whether we are any good or not ;)

KantoSooner
2/27/2014, 05:59 PM
Oh, I know we've got it. It just isn't pushed very hard. As far as trying to get generic Sooner fans involved in something new.

Soonerjeepman
2/28/2014, 10:41 AM
Have you ever had your daughter play in a basketball gym that was "sub-par" while boys were playing at the same time in a better facility? Well, imagine your daughter playing outside on half-torn down rims and then you can begin to imagine how badly the situation was before Title 9 became enforced for non-profit institutions. Something like 40% of NCAA member institutions didn't even offer athletic scholarships to women. OU was one of the big offenders when they tried to scrap the women's basketball and softball programs (which would have left them with only track and volleyball as women's sports).

Even today, there is a huge discrepancy in public funding between girls and boys sports at both a high school and college level. Having visited about every softball field in the state of Washington, it cracks me up how nice the baseball fields are compared with some of the horse pastures where girls are expected to play. Yet strangely enough, girls athletic facilities rarely make it onto voter initiatives by high schools.

actually yes, my daughter did play. So did my sis (ksu). I've coached girls hs bball. I'm not against equity. I'm against the numbers % for the sake of number's %. When I coached our V girls team played at home...a "pit" from 1920...I never sat on the bench because I'd hit my head. The boys V played at the local juco. They've since changed that.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/28/2014, 11:20 AM
actually yes, my daughter did play. So did my sis (ksu). I've coached girls hs bball. I'm not against equity. I'm against the numbers % for the sake of number's %. When I coached our V girls team played at home...a "pit" from 1920...I never sat on the bench because I'd hit my head. The boys V played at the local juco. They've since changed that.

Personally, my big problem is the narrow definition of sports. There isn't any reason that cheerleading shouldn't be considered as a sport for purposes of Title 9.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2014, 11:31 AM
Personally, my big problem is the narrow definition of sports. There isn't any reason that cheerleading shouldn't be considered as a sport for purposes of Title 9.

definitely, most of those girls were former gymnast.