PDA

View Full Version : 33 signees??

Sooner in Tampa
2/5/2014, 03:53 PM
How in the hell is that even possible??

Tennessee has signed 33 players...twitter has mentioned 35...disgusting...

picasso
2/5/2014, 03:59 PM
It's the same way they count teeth.

Eielson
2/5/2014, 04:04 PM
It's called oversigning. Sabanball will be here shortly to tell you that the SEC doesn't do that kind of thing, though.

EatLeadCommie
2/5/2014, 04:36 PM
How in the hell is that even possible??

Tennessee has signed 33 players...twitter has mentioned 35...disgusting...

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-recruiting/2013/dec/09/sec-issues-statement-about-over-signing-loopholes/

stoopified
2/5/2014, 04:52 PM
I heard the total would reach 38 by day's end.They apparently are counting early enrolles toward last year's class.Have no idea what happened to last year's class. Apparently Saban found a way to bend scholly limits and all the rest of the SECSECSECSECSEC has followed suit.

BoulderSooner79
2/5/2014, 05:10 PM
It's called oversigning. Sabanball will be here shortly to tell you that the SEC doesn't do that kind of thing, though.

Sabanball seems to be hiding out with Bigfoot since the Sugar Bowl. Baffling.

BoulderSooner79
2/5/2014, 05:11 PM
How in the hell is that even possible?? ...

Easy, really. Once they hit 32, they signed 1 more.

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 05:28 PM
There are so many things that go into the actual number of signees, so I don't jump to any conclusions. The bottom line is that they can only have 85 scholarship players, so if there are kids out there willing to sit out, that's on them.

badger
2/5/2014, 05:42 PM
14 early enrollees apparently. They had 22 last year, according to ESPN and 21 the year before that.

Basically, Coach Butch is cutting loose a bunch of players who are not *his* players to fudge the early enrollments and offer more now.

Butch gets about $3 million annually, and I think his coaching staff gets another $3 million on top of that. "Win now, or get fired" will make coaches bend and break rules

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/5/2014, 06:19 PM
Sabanball seems to be hiding out with Bigfoot since the Sugar Bowl. Baffling.He's now in Area 51!

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 06:28 PM
14 early enrollees apparently. They had 22 last year, according to ESPN and 21 the year before that.

Basically, Coach Butch is cutting loose a bunch of players who are not *his* players to fudge the early enrollments and offer more now.

Butch gets about $3 million annually, and I think his coaching staff gets another $3 million on top of that. "Win now, or get fired" will make coaches bend and break rules

I don't think they are breaking any rules, but they are certainly getting "their" players in to replace the previous ones.

I would like to see the NCAA set a limit on early enrollees. There is an absolute advantage to players getting on campus early, and there should be a limit to the number any school can accept. OU averages between 4-7 a year, clearly Tennessee's numbers are just a *tad* bit higher.

badger
2/7/2014, 09:22 AM
I
I would like to see the NCAA set a limit on early enrollees. There is an absolute advantage to players getting on campus early, and there should be a limit to the number any school can accept. OU averages between 4-7 a year, clearly Tennessee's numbers are just a *tad* bit higher.

Maybe the only way is to limit how many you can axe

Sooner in Tampa
2/7/2014, 11:59 AM
I think it is downright ****ty to cut a kids scholarship just because you didn't recruit him...if that is what is happening...**** the SEC!!! This isn't the NFL...

Eielson
2/7/2014, 04:06 PM
I don't think they are breaking any rules, but they are certainly getting "their" players in to replace the previous ones.

I bet they will make a rule for that eventually. Pretty soon we'll have two NCAA rulebooks. One with all the NCAA rules, and then another one for SEC recruiting. The SEC recruiting one will obviously be bigger, because apparently EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE THING needs to be written in. They'll probably even write in a rule about not selling your soul, and grandfather Saban in.

Eielson
2/7/2014, 04:20 PM
The good thing about Mack Brown being gone is that these threads don't make me respect Texas' program anymore. The numbers were kind of old, but over a 4 year span, SEC schools would have handed out like 110 scholarships. Texas only gave out like 85 or 86 scholarships. It was almost exactly at the scholarship limit, so you could tell they weren't running kids off for being unproductive. It made Texas look like they cared for their kids, but now I can say that it was Mack who cared for his kids, and that Texas fired him for it.

badger
2/7/2014, 04:25 PM
Mack who cared for his kids, and that Texas fired him for it.

They fired him for losing too much. Bob Stoops and other coaches stay closer or within the scholarship restrictions while still winning, Mack just didn't win enough.

To the SEC's further discredit, there's tons of programs that oversign, dump non-performers, grayshirt en masse and the like and still like. Houston Nutt at Ole Miss infamously signed 37 before getting ousted

Eielson
2/7/2014, 07:48 PM
They fired him for losing too much. Bob Stoops and other coaches stay closer or within the scholarship restrictions while still winning, Mack just didn't win enough.

I never said it was reality. It's just what I tell myself. I have so much respect for Texas doing things that way that it almost makes me sick, so I make up BS stories to negate it.