PDA

View Full Version : Have some parents gone brain dead?

stoopified
2/5/2014, 12:35 PM
We took the boys to school this morning since the windchill was -10 and we didn't want our kids waiting around 20-30 minutes in that weather for the bus. As we were waiting in line to drop off our boys I saw several kids get out of their cars with no coats,one in short sleves and another wearing shorts. I understand kids making wardrobe decisions like that but what was the adult driving the car thinking? Sending a child to school in this weather without a coat is negligent. OK,rant over.

achiro
2/5/2014, 01:20 PM
My son does that quite a bit. He says he's fine, it's always to hot inside, and there is no room in his locker for a coat. I tell him, fine but you may have to walk after school. My office is only a few blocks away and he works out last hour so it's really no big deal. We are a pretty warm natured lot and keep the thermostat at 62 in the winter. Even at 62 I can't keep clothes on either of my boys at home. ;)

That said, he did wear a coat today and if he hadn't, he would still have to have one in the truck just in case.

achiro
2/5/2014, 01:21 PM
Oh and I can't really gripe at him! I rarely wear a coat(didn't today), just keep one in the truck.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/5/2014, 02:35 PM
I see little kids walking to school in this junk every morning on the way to work..The sad part is there is so many crazies that I can't offer a ride since i am by myself.

Ton Loc
2/5/2014, 03:06 PM
Oh and I can't really gripe at him! I rarely wear a coat(didn't today), just keep one in the truck.

I never wear a coat. Just keep one in the car just in case. Such a hassle for that 30 seconds I'll actually be outside.
Besides, you're not going to get sick or catch a cold if you're outside for a few minutes without a coat.

stoopified
2/5/2014, 05:05 PM
I can understand nt wearing a coat when is 32F mabe but -10 windchill? that is just asking for trouble.In my fifty-three years on earth,I have learned SH!T happens and usually at the worst time possible,dead of night,peak of winter type situations.

Turd_Ferguson
2/5/2014, 09:09 PM
I'd wear shorts 365 if my company would let me and never wear a coat...maybe a hoody(like today). I keep a heavy coat, coverballs and a blanket in the back seat of my truck just in case I get stranded in some weather like we're having.

My 12 year old daughter left the house this morning in a pair of sweats, a t-shirt and light jacket since she has cheer practice first thing.

olevetonahill
2/5/2014, 09:32 PM
I can understand nt wearing a coat when is 32F mabe but -10 windchill? that is just asking for trouble.In my fifty-three years on earth,I have learned SH!T happens and usually at the worst time possible,dead of night,peak of winter type situations.

Hell I dont wear a Coat EVER. Most the time Im nekked and dont care.

stoopified
2/5/2014, 09:54 PM
Hell I dont wear a Coat EVER. Most the time Im nekked and dont care.Yeah but you are chock full of antifreeze.

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 10:10 PM
My boys rarely wear coats (nor do I), but in this kinds of cold they don't have a choice. Any parent sending their kid to school without a coat in subzero weather is a moron.

I'm never really surprised at the parental stupidity out there.

ouwasp
2/7/2014, 12:30 AM
29-year teacher here. Still shake my head at some of the clothes kids wear to school. When we have outside duty on the arctic sorts of days that come around this time of year, the other duty teacher and I sometimes entertain ourselves by looking for the knuckleheads standing around outside in t-shirts and cargo shorts. There are always a few, fiercely clamping their arms against their chests. Can't blame the parents; these boys are about 14.

As for jackets? You should see the massive trash bags packed with hoodies/coats/jackets we sack up every May after locker clean out. Sent to the local mission... after we've rummaged a bit.

Curly Bill
2/7/2014, 12:34 AM
I've known kids that all they had was shorts, and it wasn't because they were dirt poor - it's just all they wore!

In my experience it's mostly fat guys! LOL Although I did have one girl that was a little fashionista, and though she had coats she never wore em no matter how cold.

hawaii 5-0
2/7/2014, 01:22 AM
I wear shorts year round.

I miss wearing my jean jacket and flannel shirts.

And shlt kicker boots.

5-0

SicEmBaylor
2/7/2014, 03:53 AM
I never once rode the bus...parents dropped me off and picked me up from school every day. Thank god -- public school buses smell funky.

At any rate, this isn't new. Growing up there were some kids who would show up in a t-shirt and shorts. It's insane.

Something Achiro said has me wondering though...I can't remember what the hell I did with my coat. I know we didn't have coat racks, and I wouldn't have used one anyway out of fear of getting lice from some kid but I definitely didn't stuff it into my desk. I want to say I put it on the back of my chair, but I don't remember.

This is a perplexing mystery for me. I usually remember all of that stuff like it was 10 minutes ago.

olevetonahill
2/7/2014, 04:24 AM
I never once rode the bus...parents dropped me off and picked me up from school every day. Thank god -- public school buses smell funky.

At any rate, this isn't new. Growing up there were some kids who would show up in a t-shirt and shorts. It's insane.

Something Achiro said has me wondering though...I can't remember what the hell I did with my coat. I know we didn't have coat racks, and I wouldn't have used one anyway out of fear of getting lice from some kid but I definitely didn't stuff it into my desk. I want to say I put it on the back of my chair, but I don't remember.

This is a perplexing mystery for me. I usually remember all of that stuff like it was 10 minutes ago.

Pussie !

I rode a Bus, hell I slept with leeches. Make sure ya get ya an A/C fer yer tent when ya go Play war

SicEmBaylor
2/7/2014, 09:00 AM
Pussie !

I rode a Bus, hell I slept with leeches. Make sure ya get ya an A/C fer yer tent when ya go Play war
I've been looking for one, actually.

sooneron
2/7/2014, 02:06 PM
I see little kids walking to school in this junk every morning on the way to work..The sad part is there is so many crazies that I can't offer a ride since i am by myself.

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130918175347/villains/images/c/c9/Pedobear2.png

8timechamps
2/7/2014, 06:00 PM
I've known kids that all they had was shorts, and it wasn't because they were dirt poor - it's just all they wore!

In my experience it's mostly fat guys! LOL Although I did have one girl that was a little fashionista, and though she had coats she never wore em no matter how cold.

Ha, I've never really looked close enough. My 14 year old is a big boy, and that could explain his disinterest in coats. My 19 year old is the same way, but he's always been a rail...but he is much more into fashion that either I or my 14 year old (no, he's not gay...or maybe he is...).

8timechamps
2/7/2014, 06:02 PM

I can count on one hand how many times I didn't ride the bus growing up. It probably did stink, but over the years I just got used to it. Some very important life lessons were had on the bus:

First time I got bullied.
First time I punched someone.
First time I touched a boob.

Good stuff.

Curly Bill
2/7/2014, 06:42 PM
Ha, I've never really looked close enough. My 14 year old is a big boy, and that could explain his disinterest in coats. My 19 year old is the same way, but he's always been a rail...but he is much more into fashion that either I or my 14 year old (no, he's not gay...or maybe he is...).

The other thing with fat dudes is most of the kids will be cold in class wearing long sleeves, hoodies, jackets, and the fatty will be in his short-sleeves all like: Man, it's hot in here!

SanJoaquinSooner
2/7/2014, 06:57 PM
Hell I dont wear a Coat EVER. Most the time Im nekked and dont care.

Valentina might care, though.

ouwasp
2/7/2014, 07:12 PM
Funny you guys have mentioned school buses...I don't drive a route, but have a CDL from my football coaching days. So, once in awhile I get asked real nicely to sub for an absent driver. They make decent money, but it's not really my thing. You gotta be chauffeur, drill sergeant, counselor, comedian, audience, etc, etc, from one moment to the next. All the while dealing with kids, some of whose parents are brain dead.

SicEmBaylor
2/7/2014, 07:14 PM
I can count on one hand how many times I didn't ride the bus growing up. It probably did stink, but over the years I just got used to it. Some very important life lessons were had on the bus:

First time I got bullied.
First time I punched someone.
First time I touched a boob.

Good stuff.

Oh, I had wild times on school buses...for swim meets and debate tournaments. Actually, mostly debate...we were all dating each other and we had a coach that was an ex fighter pilot so he wasn't really a strict disciplinarian. I had several firsts on a school bus...Good times. But that's how I know they stink! I think I also know why they stink!

olevetonahill
2/7/2014, 07:17 PM
Valentina might care, though.

Heh when she shows up I slip on my OU Jammie bottoms. Then shuck em as soon as she starts her car :biggrin: