PDA

View Full Version : Official 2014 LOI confirmation thread

8timechamps
2/4/2014, 11:15 PM
Since I will not be able to post until the afternoon tomorrow, I thought I'd go ahead and start this thread. In this thread, feel free to post any Twitter Announcements, recruit signing day information, etc.

Tomorrow night, I'm going to put a piece on the home page that will be a "wrap up" of the class and a projection of players that will contribute in 2015. So, there's something to look forward too...yay!

Alright, saw a Tweet? Read something on another site? Watched an announcement on ESPN? Post it here! GO

picasso
2/4/2014, 11:23 PM
I'm sending mine in via telegram.

swardboy
2/5/2014, 08:27 AM
Don't forget to put a stamp on it.

Boomer.....
2/5/2014, 08:37 AM
So far we have LOIs from
Issac Ijalana
Justice Hansen
Dimitri Flowers
Devante Bond
Alex Dalton
Jonathan Alvarez
Samaje Perine
Tay Evans
Vontre McQuinnie

http://www.soonersports.com/fls/31000/projects/14signingday/index.html

Sooner in Tampa
2/5/2014, 08:56 AM
Add:
Marcus Green
Steven Parker
Courtney Garnett
Carson Meier

Boomer.....
2/5/2014, 08:58 AM
GARNETT!!!!!

Boomer.....
2/5/2014, 09:22 AM
FRISON!!!!

Boomer.....
2/5/2014, 09:24 AM
Also Dwayne Orso and Jeffrey Mead.

instigator
2/5/2014, 09:24 AM
Seems like we're cleaning up.

badger
2/5/2014, 09:41 AM
I'm sending mine in via telegram.

Singing telegram, or signing telegram?

Boomer.....
2/5/2014, 09:49 AM
Mark Andrews and Tito Windham are in.

Boomer.....
2/5/2014, 09:50 AM
Now waiting on LOI's from Curtis Bolton, Natrell Curtis, Joe Mixon, Joseph Paul, Jordan Thomas, and Dallis Todd.
The remaining unknowns are Clark & Quick and we should get Quick.

Sooner in Tampa
2/5/2014, 09:52 AM
Frison is a HUGE GET!!!

Boomer.....
2/5/2014, 09:55 AM
Frison is a HUGE GET!!!

He signed about 30 min ago, but not sure why OU hasn't posted it. He's on KREF (http://sportstalk1400.com/listen-live/) right now talking about it.

Boomer.....
2/5/2014, 09:57 AM
It's official now.

Oklahoma Football ‏@OU_Football 7s
OFFICIAL: OT Kenyon Frison has signed an NLI to play for the #Sooners! #OUNSD pic.twitter.com/N9Qq5NR0Ml

SoonerofAlabama
2/5/2014, 09:58 AM
Deondre Clark doesn't have school today which may delay his decision.

UPDATE: Clark is not choosing at 2 pm at his school today. Still TBD on when and where he signs.

Boomer.....
2/5/2014, 10:09 AM
Todd and Curtis signed

swardboy
2/5/2014, 10:13 AM
Frison is a HUGE GET!!!

His highlight video on Soonersports borders on hilarious. Those poor D linemen.

birddog
2/5/2014, 10:32 AM
Don't follow recruiting other than the info from the local talking heads but it appears we are getting some guys that we normally haven't. I think we are about to experience a resurgence that will bring us number 8 at last. Hawt dawg!!

Boomer.....
2/5/2014, 10:33 AM
Joseph Paul, Jordan Thomas, and Joe Mixon are in!

freshchris05
2/5/2014, 10:37 AM
BOOM

Soonerjeepman
2/5/2014, 10:38 AM
everyone but Quick and Clark...great class

Boomer.....
2/5/2014, 10:45 AM
everyone but Quick and Clark...great class

and Bolton.

Quick won't announce until 5:30.

Soonerjeepman
2/5/2014, 10:50 AM
ah, my bad.

freshchris05
2/5/2014, 10:51 AM
To be honest with you all, Bolton is the one I want most and consider the bigger NEED over the other two.

badger
2/5/2014, 10:55 AM
It will be interesting to see what Mixon says after sending his LOI in. Was he really wavering like he reportedly was?

birddog
2/5/2014, 11:04 AM
Those west coasters like to sleep in

freshchris05
2/5/2014, 11:12 AM
It's also 8:11 am there. I expected Mixon to get up earlier and sign just to shut people up and help see some of his work through. Kid hasn't done **** in an OU jersey yet but he has been all over the interwebs reppin the Boomer Sooners like it's his job.

picasso
2/5/2014, 11:16 AM
Singing telegram, or signing telegram?

A Candygram.

dwarthog
2/5/2014, 11:17 AM
Up and at em' you guys on the west coast! We have message board victories to count, pending your signatures!

stoopified
2/5/2014, 11:22 AM
It's also 8:11 am there. I expected Mixon to get up earlier and sign just to shut people up and help see some of his work through. Kid hasn't done **** in an OU jersey yet but he has been all over the interwebs reppin the Boomer Sooners like it's his job.The way Joe was tearing up twitter Boomer Cooner message to all was the reason I wasn't buying the flip rumors on this kid.

olevetonahill
2/5/2014, 11:33 AM
The way Joe was tearing up twitter Boomer Cooner message to all was the reason I wasn't buying the flip rumors on this kid.

Whats a "Cooner" ?

cherokeebrewer
2/5/2014, 11:37 AM
It will be interesting to see what Mixon says after sending his LOI in. Was he really wavering like he reportedly was?

I can answer that for Joe...NO!

EatLeadCommie
2/5/2014, 11:49 AM
has Clark officially gone with LSU yet?

SoonerofAlabama
2/5/2014, 12:05 PM
has Clark officially gone with LSU yet?

May not even decide today because his school is closed today.

swardboy
2/5/2014, 12:18 PM
Bah, I had to trudge 5 miles uphill through the snow to sign my LOI. Kids these days.

badger
2/5/2014, 12:18 PM
May not even decide today because his school is closed today.

Tulsa had massive snow/etc a few years ago on signing day and they still found ways to find faxes to get LOIs off. I'm not sure that's the holdup.

Here's LSU's signing day page from its official site (http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=205368838), btw. Color me not impressed. With the SEC now at 14 schools and LSU's latest national title getting farther and farther away (Lester's first year in the mid-aughts), is there really a reason to go purple anymore? The coach is a bad decision making loudmouth, the fans are rude and abrasive, the weather's warmer in Florida (and probably Alabama's schools or South Carolina too), Georgia and Texas A&M are closer to home for most of the top prospects... couldn't happen to a nicer fanbase if LSU is about to tank faster than Arkie

Sooner Traveler
2/5/2014, 12:19 PM
Fresno paper just reported Quick will sign with Oklahoma this afternoon

badger
2/5/2014, 12:23 PM
btw, NewsOK tweeted earlier today that Deondre Clark will announce at 2 p.m. and that he could go either way. From about 11 a.m.:

Curtis Bolton is the only commit yet to sign. Deondre Clark and Michiah Quick are both possibilities at this point.. Clark announces at 2 p.m. and Quick at 5 or 5:30 (conflicting reports on his signing time)

I'll personally be tracking the Deondre Clark situation this afternoon, so feel free to follow me on twitter @ScottWrightOK for all the updates. I'll be heading to Carl Albert and Yukon for signing ceremonies as well

SoonerofAlabama
2/5/2014, 12:28 PM
Curtis Bolton is official to OU now.

SoonerofAlabama
2/5/2014, 12:32 PM
Clark is deciding at 2 p.m. THURSDAY because of his school closing.

Dixon
2/5/2014, 12:32 PM
Just looked at the bios on our signees. Is this an unusually tall group? Seems like all but the DBs are 6'3" to 6'6". Love it!

badger
2/5/2014, 12:34 PM
Clark is deciding at 2 p.m. THURSDAY because of his school closing.

Diva. Maybe he's holding out for a transfer offer for his brother on the basketball team

cvsooner
2/5/2014, 12:36 PM
Fresno paper just reported Quick will sign with Oklahoma this afternoon

Indeed. They forgot to mention the success Jalen Saunders has had...which got a lot of notice in the San Joaquin Valley.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/02/05/3751317/college-football-recruiting-central.html

SoonerofAlabama
2/5/2014, 01:18 PM
Mixon just confirmed that Quick committed to OU. :)

rock on sooner
2/5/2014, 01:20 PM
Not sure how these things are figured, but from the tone of this thread
OU is moving up from the #14 ranking that I saw yesterday on ESPNU...

badger
2/5/2014, 01:30 PM
Indeed. They forgot to mention the success Jalen Saunders has had...which got a lot of notice in the San Joaquin Valley.

http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/02/05/3751317/college-football-recruiting-central.html
Who needs the Texas pipeline when you've got an even bigger state to pull from :D

SoonerMarkVA
2/5/2014, 01:47 PM
Is this the most geographically diverse group we've had in a long time? It is really impressive to me the number of states we've drawn this class from.

badger
2/5/2014, 01:51 PM
Is this the most geographically diverse group we've had in a long time? It is really impressive to me the number of states we've drawn this class from.

Here's a map (https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?hl=en&mid=ztWY5P6kYCTw.kKrWgOCF_E7c). Hope the Florida/Geogia pipeline hasn't dried, but it's likely that we just looked elsewhere this go around and will be back when recruits like Eric Striker pop up

cvsooner
2/5/2014, 01:56 PM
Who needs the Texas pipeline when you've got an even bigger state to pull from :D

Population-wise, no argument here. Plus Texas can't land its top nine recruits. Baylor took two of them.

In fairness, OU didn't land any of the top nine either.

Bourbon St Sooner
2/5/2014, 02:01 PM
Here's a map (https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?hl=en&mid=ztWY5P6kYCTw.kKrWgOCF_E7c). Hope the Florida/Geogia pipeline hasn't dried, but it's likely that we just looked elsewhere this go around and will be back when recruits like Eric Striker pop up

It seems like we've cherry picked Florida over the years. Some years we'll get 2 or 3 from there, some years we won't get any. We've developed a real pipeline from California though.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/5/2014, 02:02 PM

Florida has always been a case of us being on the outside looking in. Outside of Davin Joseph, we've mainly pulled kids that would be classified as "tweeners" and weren't heavily pursued by the SEC.

Gundy has done quite well with Georgia, but the problem there has been all of the baggage those kids have brought with them. We've gotten much better results recruiting Louisiana than either Florida or Georgia.

The only major problem that we've had recruiting California has been early entrant-itis.

badger
2/5/2014, 02:06 PM
Are we the beneficiaries of USC being very down, or is this a permanent pipeline? For example, we recruit Texas highly whether UT is awesome or sucking. Will we continue to pull top recruits from Cali if the Pac 12 schools in that state continue to be meh?

No disrespect to Stanford (actually, I hate them so all disrespect to Stanford) but they always will be the more academic choice of recruits, much like Notre Dame will always be the more Catholic choice of recruits

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/5/2014, 02:18 PM
Are we the beneficiaries of USC being very down, or is this a permanent pipeline? For example, we recruit Texas highly whether UT is awesome or sucking. Will we continue to pull top recruits from Cali if the Pac 12 schools in that state continue to be meh?

No disrespect to Stanford (actually, I hate them so all disrespect to Stanford) but they always will be the more academic choice of recruits, much like Notre Dame will always be the more Catholic choice of recruits

USC being down only helps us out for the top ranked kids. And honestly, those aren't really the ones that you want to get in droves from either Cali or Texas. For whatever reason, those 2 states tend to have better players in the 25-50 range than they do at the top.

You don't have to look any farther than this class -> http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/commitments/2008 -> to see what I'm talking about with Texas.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/5/2014, 02:20 PM
Also I removed the cacheing on the eligibility chart for today. A little worse performance, but you don't have to wait for 2 hours for it to update with new guys. I also figured out why Cortez Johnson refused to show up (My transfer logic sucks).

http://www.ouportal.com/page/Eligibility-Chart.aspx

Soonerjeepman
2/5/2014, 02:28 PM
Diva. Maybe he's holding out for a transfer offer for his brother on the basketball team

lol, nice one, but we already have our PG..and he doesn't pee out car windows and plays really well!

stoops the eternal pimp
2/5/2014, 02:32 PM
Class rankings are silly.

Howzit
2/5/2014, 02:32 PM
You're face is silly.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/5/2014, 02:34 PM
Class rankings are silly.

Kind of like Draft Grades?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/5/2014, 02:36 PM
Kind of like Draft Grades?

Exactly. The head scout for Bleacher Report used to work with my company until he was caught stealing my stuff and using it as his own..Anyway, he gave the Seahawks an F and blasted them for drafting Russell Wilson.. He trashed everyone for disagreeing with him then and now he's mad at everyone for calling him out.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/5/2014, 02:40 PM
You're face is silly.

You're face is breathtaking.. Have you had work done?

Is that how it works?

EatLeadCommie
2/5/2014, 02:48 PM

We got 5 of the Top 100 out of Texas this year, which concerns me. aTm has really opened the state up for the SEC (as has the SEC's success), as has Baylor and Okie State winning in recent years. If we're only getting 5 out of the top 100, we NEED to have a strong in-state class and poach from other strong football states like CA, FL, GA, and LA.

Widescreen
2/5/2014, 02:51 PM
Some outlets reporting OT Orlando Brown out of Georgia is going to sign with OU although he may have to go to prep school first due to grades. He's currently a Tennessee commitment.

winout
2/5/2014, 03:04 PM
No, you are face!

Widescreen
2/5/2014, 03:13 PM
Some outlets reporting OT Orlando Brown out of Georgia is going to sign with OU although he may have to go to prep school first due to grades. He's currently a Tennessee commitment.

Well, Brown sent in his OU LOI a few minutes ago. Definitely a surprise!

SoonerofAlabama
2/5/2014, 03:14 PM
Oklahoma signs Duluth, GA OT Orlando Brown. He flips from Tennessee.

Widescreen
2/5/2014, 03:15 PM
Sweet Georgia Brown

stoops the eternal pimp
2/5/2014, 03:17 PM
6'8, 340 lbs.

badger
2/5/2014, 03:18 PM

One of 30+ committed to Rocky Top, if ESPN is to be believed. Whoever said oversigning in the SEC was dead was too busy chanting SEC

winout
2/5/2014, 03:21 PM
Looking good. Let's get that last one, Clark.

badger
2/5/2014, 03:22 PM
Exactly. The head scout for Bleacher Report used to work with my company until he was caught stealing my stuff and using it as his own..Anyway, he gave the Seahawks an F and blasted them for drafting Russell Wilson.. He trashed everyone for disagreeing with him then and now he's mad at everyone for calling him out.

Your job sounds like a lot of fun, or at the very least, very interesting.

We got 5 of the Top 100 out of Texas this year, which concerns me. aTm has really opened the state up for the SEC (as has the SEC's success), as has Baylor and Okie State winning in recent years. If we're only getting 5 out of the top 100, we NEED to have a strong in-state class and poach from other strong football states like CA, FL, GA, and LA.

Texas is a big state. Not being in the top 100 in Texas doesn't mean you suck, it just means some programmer nerd at Scout, Rivals and the like forgot to give you your fifth star.

Wasn't Garrett Gilbert once Texas' top recruit. Haha, UT ruined his life

stoops the eternal pimp
2/5/2014, 03:33 PM
Clark to LSU

SoonerMarkVA
2/5/2014, 03:33 PM
6'8, 340 lbs.

That is a mountain of a HS'er. Holy Moly.

SoonerMarkVA
2/5/2014, 03:35 PM
soonersports.com is down. Boo!

DrZaius
2/5/2014, 03:40 PM
Is it just me or does Bond's photo make him look like a mean mother***ker.

EatLeadCommie
2/5/2014, 03:41 PM
Clark to LSU

Damn.

Sooner in Tampa
2/5/2014, 03:46 PM
Clark to LSU That sucks...but fook it, we had an awesome day today anyway

picasso
2/5/2014, 03:47 PM

Damn.

Maybe not.

SoonerMarkVA
2/5/2014, 03:49 PM
Clark to LSU

Where do you see that? I haven't found anything yet. Inside source?

SoonerofAlabama
2/5/2014, 03:51 PM
Where do you see that? I haven't found anything yet. Inside source?

May not be true just yet.

cvsooner
2/5/2014, 04:07 PM
Words of wisdom from Pat Forde:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/an-open-letter-to-the-class-of-2014-on-national-signing-day-061304065-ncaaf.html

cvsooner
2/5/2014, 04:08 PM
Clark is not listed among official list on the LSU Tigers website, for what that's worth.

swardboy
2/5/2014, 04:11 PM
This freshman class has an imposing O-line within its own ranks. Coach 'em up!

stoops the eternal pimp
May not be true just yet.

Yup..I have my own ideas about whats going on.

Widescreen
Clark's family and coach are denying that he sent in his LOI.

birddog
2/5/2014, 04:13 PM
Miles is up to his usual skylarkings

stoops the eternal pimp
2/5/2014, 04:13 PM
The meatloaf I had for lunch just sent its LOI to the toilet down the hall.

Eielson
2/5/2014, 04:14 PM

People trying to keep him close to home delaying the process?

BoomerSooner123
2/5/2014, 04:15 PM

Think it's the mother holding him back?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/5/2014, 04:21 PM
I think he wants to get his signing some attention and to pretend that he hasn't sent it to get people to show up.. I've seen it before.

And LSU spokesperson says they have his signed letter.

picasso
2/5/2014, 04:24 PM
Pat Jones said be careful what you wish for with him. I got the vibe there's issues.

badger
2/5/2014, 04:25 PM
Here's hoping that Mama Clark pulls the same stunt that other recruit's mom did on national TV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzPaiKczPyM) during the ceremony, if he goes to LSU.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/5/2014, 04:26 PM
Pat Jones said be careful what you wish for with him. I got the vibe there's issues.

Not just issues, the whole subscription.

Eielson
2/5/2014, 04:33 PM
I think he wants to get his signing some attention and to pretend that he hasn't sent it to get people to show up.. I've seen it before.

And LSU spokesperson says they have his signed letter.

Makes sense. It's always odd to me that such an important life decision that they've had months (if not years) to decide would come down to the last second.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/5/2014, 04:33 PM
.@ESPNChing confirming that DE Deondre Clark's LOI has in fact arrived at LSU, but school "not announcing him today."

I think I am spot on..Needs his ego fed..

birddog
2/5/2014, 04:36 PM
Orlando brown Jr. Is a huge surprise for us.

SoonerMarkVA
2/5/2014, 04:40 PM
I watched Stevie Clark pout and whine around LNC before fouling out. I think I will gladly say "Good Luck at LSU" to his brother.

Widescreen
2/5/2014, 04:43 PM
Won't talk bad about Clark. He committed to LSU and honored that commitment. And honestly he never struck me as being enthusiastic about OU at all so if mama was pushing him to OU, he probably wasn't going to have his heart in it anyway.

rock on sooner
2/5/2014, 05:11 PM
Hey, Vet, you ever get your question answered?

SoonerInHSV
2/5/2014, 05:22 PM
Won't talk bad about Clark. He committed to LSU and honored that commitment. And honestly he never struck me as being enthusiastic about OU at all so if mama was pushing him to OU, he probably wasn't going to have his heart in it anyway.

This. Desire can make up for a missing star. I would rather have a three star guy who wants to be at OU rather than a four star that does not. The guy who wants to be there is more likely to work harder and be more patient when things don't go his way.

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 05:26 PM
EXCELLENT class for the Sooners. I liked last year's class, but this year is better.

NOBODY saw Orlando Brown flipping, and whether he makes it to Norman this year, or goes the prep route, that is a HUGE pick-up for the Sooners.

I wanted Clark (mostly because he's an in-state kid), but it appears he really was set on LSU. Best of luck to him.

I'll have a wrap-up sometime tonight. Lot's to talk about.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/5/2014, 05:41 PM

As some of us on this board been pointing out for several years, I don't think we have any choice but to avoid Texas until it starts to stabilize again. I have no idea what the real reason is but something is causing coaches to get bad evaluations on Texas kids. A good chunk of that inaccuracy is most likely from the move from run heavy offenses to pass heavy offenses in the high school ranks. Run-based and balanced offenses tend to give you a much better baseline on football talent than pass based ones (both offensively and defensively). Further exacerbating the situation is the stupid early recruiting that the Texas schools are doing. It makes a murky situation even cloudier.

California, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have the desire to move away from those offenses just yet. It still cracks me up that Jalen Saunders was a Wing T blocking TE 6 years ago.

birddog
2/5/2014, 06:50 PM
Did Quick sign yet?

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 06:52 PM
Did Quick sign yet?

Yes. All LOIs are in.

Curly Bill
2/5/2014, 07:04 PM
As someone who early & midway in the process was quite critical of our recruiting efforts I'm very pleased how we ended up. I don't think the importance of the Sugar Bowl win can be overstated in that, and I really like some of the guys that we landed late, who while the recruiting services didn't have them super highly ranked, they had offers from many top programs. And I said all along I didn't particularly care where the services might rank someone, or how high they ranked them, but felt it was much more telling who else was after these kids, and we landed some kids that a lot of big-time programs were after.

Listening to the coaches talk today I found it interesting how much they talked about the social media aspect of recruiting, and how we seemingly stepped up our efforts in that regard.

blacktop
2/5/2014, 07:20 PM
Just saw the Bob Stoops Presser. He stated that they had one more signing they were anticipating. Who is it? Did he sign? Also near the very end, Coach alluded to Baker Mayfield. The last I remember was Mayfield lost his appeal, and therefore was not coming to OU. Obviously this changed. What happened?

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 07:30 PM
Just saw the Bob Stoops Presser. He stated that they had one more signing they were anticipating. Who is it? Did he sign? Also near the very end, Coach alluded to Baker Mayfield. The last I remember was Mayfield lost his appeal, and therefore was not coming to OU. Obviously this changed. What happened?

Deondre Clark, but it appears he has signed with LSU.

Mayfield is enrolled at OU, and working out with the team. His appeal was for full release (which would allow him to transfer without losing a year of eligibility). He lost his appeal to Tech, but has a pending appeal to the NCAA. That will probably get denied too (although it shouldn't, but that's a different thread). The appeal has nothing to do with his ability to enroll at another school or walk-on at another program (both of which he did). It looks like he'll have to sit out a year (and lose that year), but will still have two years remaining at OU.

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 07:34 PM
As someone who early & midway in the process was quite critical of our recruiting efforts I'm very pleased how we ended up. I don't think the importance of the Sugar Bowl win can be overstated in that, and I really like some of the guys that we landed late, who while the recruiting services didn't have them super highly ranked, they had offers from many top programs. And I said all along I didn't particularly care where the services might rank someone, or how high they ranked them, but felt it was much more telling who else was after these kids, and we landed some kids that a lot of big-time programs were after.

Listening to the coaches talk today I found it interesting how much they talked about the social media aspect of recruiting, and how we seemingly stepped up our efforts in that regard.

The Sugar Bowl win definitely added momentum, but I think it will play a much bigger role in 2015.

I never buy into the rankings 100%. I do think they offer an insight, but that's about it. Even offers don't provide a great picture (of course with the bigger name guys, come more offers), as Eric Striker has proven. It's more about trusting the coaches are looking for specific kids that can play the role they're asked. No question Mike Stoops, Bill Bedenbaugh and Jerry Montgomery are doing a great job of that.

As good as this class turned out, I think next year's is going to be better (it's already off to a better start).

Curly Bill
2/5/2014, 07:39 PM
The Sugar Bowl win definitely added momentum, but I think it will play a much bigger role in 2015.

I never buy into the rankings 100%. I do think they offer an insight, but that's about it. Even offers don't provide a great picture (of course with the bigger name guys, come more offers), as Eric Striker has proven. It's more about trusting the coaches are looking for specific kids that can play the role they're asked. No question Mike Stoops, Bill Bedenbaugh and Jerry Montgomery are doing a great job of that.

As good as this class turned out, I think next year's is going to be better (it's already off to a better start).

Yeah, off to a great start! Are we gonna get the Barnett (?) kid out of Lawton?

blacktop
2/5/2014, 07:39 PM
Deondre Clark, but it appears he has signed with LSU.

Mayfield is enrolled at OU, and working out with the team. His appeal was for full release (which would allow him to transfer without losing a year of eligibility). He lost his appeal to Tech, but has a pending appeal to the NCAA. That will probably get denied too (although it shouldn't, but that's a different thread). The appeal has nothing to do with his ability to enroll at another school or walk-on at another program (both of which he did). It looks like he'll have to sit out a year (and lose that year), but will still have two years remaining at OU.

Thanks for the update. Boomer!

GDC
2/5/2014, 08:46 PM
A Candygram.

Land shark.

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 09:59 PM
Yeah, off to a great start! Are we gonna get the Barnett (?) kid out of Lawton?

I'd be surprised if we didn't.

He's a lifelong OU fan that has already been on campus a half dozen times. He's going to get schools coming at him from everywhere (already is), so as long as we stay in good contact with him, we should be fine. But, we are dealing with 18 year olds...

SoonerofAlabama
2/5/2014, 10:04 PM
I'd be surprised if we didn't.

He's a lifelong OU fan that has already been on campus a half dozen times. He's going to get schools coming at him from everywhere (already is), so as long as we stay in good contact with him, we should be fine. But, we are dealing with 18 year olds...

I think he's actually an Oklahoma State fan, but I still think we get him eventually.

swardboy
2/6/2014, 02:27 PM
So what is our recruiting class ranked? All I see online is "Alabama - #1 ranked recruiting class".

cherokeebrewer
2/6/2014, 04:34 PM
So what is our recruiting class ranked? All I see online is "Alabama - #1 ranked recruiting class".

Final ranking on ESPN 13th...Don't know about the others and don't really care. I think it's an excellent class. 'Huge' pickup in Orlando Brown Jr.

8timechamps
2/6/2014, 05:31 PM
I think he's actually an Oklahoma State fan, but I still think we get him eventually.

Everything I've seen says he is a Sooner fan. He's already said that OU is in the lead, and given that he has an OSU offer, that's be kinda weird.

Curly Bill
2/6/2014, 06:13 PM
Orlando Brown? Gonna be eligible, not eligible, is he gonna have to go to prep school???

SoonerofAlabama
2/6/2014, 06:48 PM
Everything I've seen says he is a Sooner fan. He's already said that OU is in the lead, and given that he has an OSU offer, that's be kinda weird.

I've read several things on him that say he's a OSU fan myself.

8timechamps
2/6/2014, 07:24 PM
Orlando Brown? Gonna be eligible, not eligible, is he gonna have to go to prep school???

Still unknown. He's a Sooner either way (similar to the Metoyer deal, only very unsimilar :) )

8timechamps
2/6/2014, 07:25 PM
I've read several things on him that say he's a OSU fan myself.

Could be. I don't pay for any of the "premium sites", and I only base any of the information I've posted here in past years on relationships and/or what's available free online.

EDIT: I got hung up on this subject and finally talked to someone that knows. Apparently, Barnett has been somewhat of a Pokes fan. The person I talked to said "he wasn't a die-hard fan, but he did like OSU". So, I learned something new today!

I also found out that Barnett has made 7 unofficial visits to Norman since his Sophomore year (including camps). Looks like the Sooners are in a strong spot.

SoonerofAlabama
2/6/2014, 07:28 PM
Could be. I don't pay for any of the "premium sites", and I only base any of the information I've posted here in past years on relationships and/or what's available free online.

I don't pay either, just read an article on ESPN and one on scout I think that said he was an Oklahoma State fan.

Curly Bill
2/6/2014, 07:32 PM
Still unknown. He's a Sooner either way (similar to the Metoyer deal, only very unsimilar :) )

Speaking of Metoyer...refresh my memory on what happened with him? Did he leave? Seems I remember something about that???

8timechamps
2/6/2014, 07:34 PM
Speaking of Metoyer...refresh my memory on what happened with him? Did he leave? Seems I remember something about that???

He really wanted to leave a part of himself in Norman...but that didn't work out so well.

BoulderSooner79
2/6/2014, 07:36 PM

Hopefully, he left to get some help - he is definitely broken.

Curly Bill
2/6/2014, 07:38 PM
Metoyer, Calhoun, Washington, Good, Bomar...our recent run with 5-star guys hasn't been so great. Hopefully Mr Mixon will be an AD or Gerald McCoy type 5-star!

8timechamps
2/6/2014, 07:41 PM
Metoyer, Calhoun, Washington, Good, Bomar...our recent run with 5-star guys hasn't been so great. Hopefully Mr Mixon will be an AD or Gerald McCoy type 5-star!

No doubt. Washington was probably the one guy that contributed the most, and it wasn't until his senior year, and it wasn't really that much.

I guess the book is written on Metoyer yet, maybe he'll end up at a small school and prove himself.

Curly Bill
2/6/2014, 07:45 PM
The East Texas guys have killed us! Good, Calhoun, Metoyer, the Johnson kid from Gilmer. Geographically all of em from pretty close together. Of course AD was from that area too, so maybe we shouldn't give up hope?!

8timechamps
2/6/2014, 07:48 PM
The East Texas guys have killed us! Good, Calhoun, Metoyer, the Johnson kid from Gilmer. Geographically all of em from pretty close together. Of course AD was from that area too, so maybe we shouldn't give up hope?!

Some of it came from lazy evaluating, I think. Calhoun certainly looked the part in high school, but didn't pan out. I think Metoyer had the talent, but mentally wasn't there (clearly).

Maybe a change of 5-star venue is what was needed....Maybe the Cali 5 star guys are more predictable. Let's hope so.

Curly Bill
2/6/2014, 07:54 PM
Some of it came from lazy evaluating, I think. Calhoun certainly looked the part in high school, but didn't pan out. I think Metoyer had the talent, but mentally wasn't there (clearly).

Maybe a change of 5-star venue is what was needed....Maybe the Cali 5 star guys are more predictable. Let's hope so.

Yeah, I'll go back to what I've been saying about Texas players. The top-level guys have in many instances peaked or almost peaked, due to the crazy emphasis put on high school football in Texas, and that's during season, offseason, in the weight room, on the track, the high level coaching they get, you name it. So...many of those Texas guys are as good as they're gonna get by the time they're done with high school, whereas I think guys from other states have more room to develop maybe?

picasso
2/6/2014, 09:26 PM

Jimmy Wilkerson.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/6/2014, 09:31 PM

Heh, we've already been over this. The last 8 Cali 5* running backs haven't finished school with the team that signed them.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/6/2014, 09:32 PM

Manuel Johnson was snake bit (a lot like Jacob Gutierrez). Some guys just have a knack for freak injuries.

Eielson
2/6/2014, 09:48 PM
I'll take my chances with Mixon.

8timechamps
2/6/2014, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I'll go back to what I've been saying about Texas players. The top-level guys have in many instances peaked or almost peaked, due to the crazy emphasis put on high school football in Texas, and that's during season, offseason, in the weight room, on the track, the high level coaching they get, you name it. So...many of those Texas guys are as good as they're gonna get by the time they're done with high school, whereas I think guys from other states have more room to develop maybe?

There may very well be some truth to that. What I've found interesting in the past couple of years are guys getting to Oklahoma that have never spent time in a weight room (Charles Tapper, incoming freshman Dwayne Orso). These are guys from outside of the Texas area, that are from parts of the country where high school football is big, but not at the level of Texas high school football.

8timechamps
2/6/2014, 09:52 PM
Heh, we've already been over this. The last 8 Cali 5* running backs haven't finished school with the team that signed them.

We have, but in some of those instances I think attitude/behavior had more to do with it than inability.

Scout ranked Brennan Clay a 5 star out of Cali, and while it took him a while, he ended up pretty solid.

On film, Mixon looks better than any I've seen in the past 3 or 4 years.

Curly Bill
2/6/2014, 10:27 PM
Manuel Johnson was snake bit (a lot like Jacob Gutierrez). Some guys just have a knack for freak injuries.

I'm talking about Justin Johnson. Highly touted 4-star RB. I think we wanted him to convert to LB, he didn't want to & he couldn't get on the field very much at RB.

Curly Bill
2/6/2014, 10:27 PM
I consider Manuel Johnson to have had a pretty good college career.

Curly Bill
2/6/2014, 10:29 PM
Just noticed Justin Johnson was in that same class as Calhoun, Good & Washington. Jameel Owens was also in there and Joseph Ibiloye.

Talk about some highly touted guys that amounted to not very much!!!

edit...Throw Stacy McGee in there too

Curly Bill
2/6/2014, 10:36 PM
Since I'm on a roll - it's fun to go back and look at some of those classes, see who met or exceeded expectations, see who was utter fail, and in many cases guys who for whatever reason left nothing behind at all except the adulation they might have got on signing day and then seemed to fall off the face of the earth.

8timechamps
2/7/2014, 05:33 PM
Just noticed Justin Johnson was in that same class as Calhoun, Good & Washington. Jameel Owens was also in there and Joseph Ibiloye.

Talk about some highly touted guys that amounted to not very much!!!

edit...Throw Stacy McGee in there too

Yeah, I think throwing McGee in there is fair. His situation was weird, and he ended up making it to the NFL, but never really became the player he was expected to be when he got to Norman.

Bourbon St Sooner
2/7/2014, 06:01 PM
Wasn't Jamarkus McFarland a 5* also?

That's why when it comes to recruiting I take the view of the zen master that Phillip Seymour Hoffman told the story about in Charlie Wilson's War - We'll see.

Curly Bill
2/7/2014, 06:36 PM

That's why when it comes to recruiting I take the view of the zen master that Phillip Seymour Hoffman told the story about in Charlie Wilson's War - We'll see.

4-star on Rivals. Don't know about Scout?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/7/2014, 06:55 PM

McFarland started out as a 5* and then steadily fell down the ranks over the season. I've pointed it out before, but there is a lot of inertia at the top of the recruiting rankings heap. After the initial cut, it is really hard to get into it and really hard to leave it.

8timechamps
2/7/2014, 07:24 PM
Whether 4 star or 5 star, our evaluation of interior D-lineman sucked for a few years. They had the stars, but either they had maxed out, or coasting, because they did very little while in Norman.

Curly Bill
2/7/2014, 07:48 PM
Whether 4 star or 5 star, our evaluation of interior D-lineman sucked for a few years. They had the stars, but either they had maxed out, or coasting, because they did very little while in Norman.

Tru dat!

picasso
2/8/2014, 12:16 PM
Soonersports.com has bios on all of our signees and at the bottom of their profiles there are tweets that are about or by them.
Check out the bottom of Mixon's, it's vid of him juking two players in a tight one on two drill.

8timechamps
2/8/2014, 09:08 PM
Soonersports.com has bios on all of our signees and at the bottom of their profiles there are tweets that are about or by them.
Check out the bottom of Mixon's, it's vid of him juking two players in a tight one on two drill.

That video is from a Nike Elite camp early in the season (maybe even pre season). That was the first time I took time to watch him on film (there are several others like that out there). It was the first time I thought "this kid could be the real deal".

SoonerofAlabama
3/1/2014, 10:09 PM
Wesley Horky (LS from Ravenwood, TN) has now been signed onto the 2014 class.

8timechamps
3/1/2014, 11:48 PM
Wesley Horky (LS from Ravenwood, TN) has now been signed onto the 2014 class.

Horky was committed to Tennessee, and had been declared a "preferred walkon" until Jay Boulwarer started talking to him. Coach Boulware wanted Horky to come to Norman, see the campus and talk about his future with OU. So, he and his parents made the trip, and it paid off because Boulware extended an offer today at junior day. It didn't take long for Horky to think about it, and committed on the spot. So, we have our next deadicated LS for the next 3 to 4 years.

Soonerjeepman
3/2/2014, 03:54 PM
so 8time, he was committed to Tenn? or was a preferred walk-on at OU who got a scholly?

SoonerofAlabama
3/2/2014, 04:20 PM
He was going to walk-on at Tennessee but he received a late offer from Oklahoma so he took a visit to Norman. He committed yesterday and he's on full scholarship.

Soonerwake
3/2/2014, 04:46 PM
Is it normal to use a full scholly on a long snapper? Is that really an actual recruited position? I guess I always figured that they found a guy from the walk on ranks to become a snapper.

8timechamps
3/2/2014, 05:23 PM
He was going to walk-on at Tennessee but he received a late offer from Oklahoma so he took a visit to Norman. He committed yesterday and he's on full scholarship.

This.

He was committed, but as a walk-on, there's no LOI or the like, so de-committing isn't a big deal.

8timechamps
3/2/2014, 05:26 PM
Is it normal to use a full scholly on a long snapper? Is that really an actual recruited position? I guess I always figured that they found a guy from the walk on ranks to become a snapper.

It's just rare.

Texas and Alabama have signed (scholarship) long snappers every two to three years for a long time. We've been fortunate in that we've had either walk-ons or back-up O-linemen that could also long snap. Apparently, with Woods leaving, we didn't have that.

I tell my kid he needs to practice long snapping, because the high school kids that "specialize" in it almost always get offers from big time programs.

BoulderSooner79
3/3/2014, 11:25 PM
Long snappers are very important on punt coverage, so I can see using a schollie on one if he is athletic enough to also get down field and make a tackle. Winchester was great at that.

KantoSooner
3/4/2014, 02:57 PM
Winchester was an awesome player. Talk about an 'A' for effort.

8timechamps
3/4/2014, 06:11 PM
Yep, Winchester was arguably the best long snapper Stoops has had. There's no rule that says they have to be the size of a center (of course you want someone that can block on occasion), and Winchester was always around the return man.

LakeRat
3/5/2014, 03:02 PM
Yep, Winchester was arguably the best long snapper Stoops has had. There's no rule that says they have to be the size of a center (of course you want someone that can block on occasion), and Winchester was always around the return man.

I am not sure who would be second best? Winchester doubled as a WR. If I recall correctly, he had impressive measurables.

8timechamps
3/5/2014, 06:08 PM
I am not sure who would be second best? Winchester doubled as a WR. If I recall correctly, he had impressive measurables.

I remember Russell Dennison being pretty good, but I can't remember if he was a long snapper. I know we tried him there at one point, but I don't know if he stayed there.

I remember seeing a video of Winchester getting into the fitness pod (the machine that measures body fat), and his numbers were crazy. The kid was just a solid athlete.