PDA

View Full Version : Uniform change?

8timechamps
2/4/2014, 10:51 PM
I was at SoonerSports today, and on the landing page they have an announcement about their signing day coverage. I noticed immediately that the uniform in the image is slightly different (because I'm a uniform nerd). The biggest change in the number font. Now, maybe they just put together an image to throw on the site, but it seems strange that they would do that since they could just as easily found an Aaron Colvin image (or any other previous #14).

Here's the image:

I could be reading too much into that one picture, or we could see some changes coming.

BoulderSooner79
2/4/2014, 11:07 PM
Careful - you'll evoke the wrath of the "get off my lawn" traditionalist! "The next thing you know, we'll go all Nike/Oregon!!"

I'm just glad we found a player with the last name "Sooners".

Curly Bill
2/4/2014, 11:12 PM
I'm not for change, so yeah I'm a grumpy old traditionalist, but I'm not gonna go all nutso. If the powers that be think we need to change somewhat for the cool factor, so we can attract those cool craving football playing kids, then maybe it has to be done???

BoulderSooner79
2/4/2014, 11:20 PM
OUr uniforms have changed over the years, we've just kept it subtle. They certainly don't look the same as they did in the '50s. If this graphic really does mean a change, it looks to be within the bounds of taste and tradition and I'm all for that. I'm probably one of the few that likes what the Ducks do, but I only like it for the Ducks, not OU.

jiminy
2/4/2014, 11:21 PM
Well... notice the numbers are perfectly straight in the pic, so they were added digitally. Hope that's not a uniform change, I don't much care for it.

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 05:31 PM
Well... notice the numbers are perfectly straight in the pic, so they were added digitally. Hope that's not a uniform change, I don't much care for it.

They definitely added the numbers, but that makes me wonder why?! Surely they could have found plenty of existing #14 number jersey's to use. I'm not a big fan of that font, but it doesn't appear to be a drastic change...if it in-fact is a change.

Ruf/Nek7
2/5/2014, 06:45 PM
I would approve of those. The helmets look like they have a different finish to them as well. I approve.

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 06:48 PM
I would approve of those. The helmets look like they have a different finish to them as well. I approve.

I thought the same thing, but wasn't sure if I was being too nerdy and trying to find changes that aren't there. It also appears that the "OU" logo is larger, and I've never seen the base layer with the two-tone sleeves (now I know I'm being too nerdy).

oupride
2/5/2014, 06:48 PM
I hope they did not pay the artist very much for that.

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 06:51 PM
I hope they did not pay the artist very much for that.

That's the question...is it just a "hey, let's get something up for the recruiting day coverage", or is it a preview of uniform tweaks?

tycat947
2/5/2014, 06:55 PM
The only thing I see is that the numbers are on the shoulders, instead of the sleeves and there is a slight change of font of the numbers. I think the long sleeve shirt worn underneath the uniform with the white/crimson makes the uniform look different. The helmet looks exactly the same. They wouldn't make those little changes for an alternate uniform. Most people, not OU fans, wouldn't even notice. I think it's probably the ad company that created the pic made the subtle changes.

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 07:25 PM
The only thing I see is that the numbers are on the shoulders, instead of the sleeves and there is a slight change of font of the numbers. I think the long sleeve shirt worn underneath the uniform with the white/crimson makes the uniform look different. The helmet looks exactly the same. They wouldn't make those little changes for an alternate uniform. Most people, not OU fans, wouldn't even notice. I think it's probably the ad company that created the pic made the subtle changes.

See, I didn't even notice the shoulder number change. I do think the base layer makes the uniform look different, so that could be a lot of it.

The picture is created in-house (SoonerSports), so that's why I brought it up. It's odd.

soonergirlNeugene
2/5/2014, 10:15 PM
I like the finish on the helmet. Nice catch, not sure I'd have noticed it if you hadn't pointed that out.

Soonerwake
2/5/2014, 10:32 PM
I have always thought that our road uniform combos, with the red helmet, all whites, red socks, etc. is the best look anywhere.

Piware
2/5/2014, 11:35 PM
Big difference between old and classic. Agree completely with Soonerwake and same with the home unis. Rather they would concentrate on Xs and Os than socks and jocks.

I laugh at the debate by Pokes and their uniform debates every year. Fashion hasn't helped them. The ugliest of the year, IMHO, was Maryland.

stoopified
2/6/2014, 07:20 AM
Just don't go all aggy uniform on us.

SoonerLB
2/6/2014, 12:43 PM
No clown costumes like Oregon, Maryland, etc.! OUr unis are recognizable instantly by most people that know anything about football, we don't need clown costumes or gimmick graphics to get noticed. OUr colors and that OU on the helmets says football, and we're here to kick azz, they're not just traditional, they emanate tradition! Winning tradition!
I can tolerate a little tweaking, but tradition must be maintained, 'cause it don't get any better! :)

freshchris05
2/6/2014, 01:43 PM
I have always thought that our road uniform combos, with the red helmet, all whites, red socks, etc. is the best look anywhere.

For sure. I think they are my favorites as well. They looked real good in the Nola.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/6/2014, 03:12 PM
Saw the same thing. I think it was a graphic from rivals or espn just for signing day bc we were the no 14 signing class when that graphic showed up. JMO

freshchris05
2/6/2014, 03:21 PM
The 14 is for 2014.

BoulderSooner79
2/6/2014, 03:48 PM
No changes. And get off my lawn!

C&CDean
2/6/2014, 05:13 PM
I'm old, and like the traditional look. However, as I've aged, I've mellowed. I think a kid is a shallow little twerp to pick a school based on the unis they wear. That being said, IDGAF if we pink over paisly. But only if we win the NC. We win it all, and chartreuse and muave it is.

badger
2/6/2014, 05:30 PM
I really think this was just a neat graphical feature (and I heard from NP that recruits were using the images on their twitter accounts on their special day). Lesser schools... the OSU types, will just list the players off text format yawn. At OU, you get to model the SOONERS uni on your official visit and you get your own awesome uniform graphic after the LOI arrives :D

8timechamps
2/6/2014, 05:37 PM
The 14 is for 2014.

Obviously, but that still doesn't answer the question.

The graphic was made IN-HOUSE (not from an Ad company, not from ESPN, etc). Since there's NEVER been an image like that on Sooner Sports, and lets face it, yesterday was probably a bigger day for hits on that site, why wouldn't they just use an image of Colvin, or an image of any #14 jersey?

I know I'm a nerd for focusing on this, but I think this is a sign of changes coming.

tycat947
2/6/2014, 06:02 PM
Obviously, but that still doesn't answer the question.

The graphic was made IN-HOUSE (not from an Ad company, not from ESPN, etc). Since there's NEVER been an image like that on Sooner Sports, and lets face it, yesterday was probably a bigger day for hits on that site, why wouldn't they just use an image of Colvin, or an image of any #14 jersey?

I know I'm a nerd for focusing on this, but I think this is a sign of changes coming.

I'm not against changes either but if that look, in the graphic, is an example of a new look, it is changed so little that anyone not a die hard OU fan would even notice.

cvsooner
2/6/2014, 06:48 PM
I'm skeptical that it's a uniform change. My guess is it's from a stock photo and they added the colors and the OU helmet. The 14 was added, I'm guessing, because it's 2014. (Duh.)

When you visit the signing day section (which is really well done) http://www.soonersports.com/fls/31000/projects/14signingday/ and click on any of the signees, you get to a page like this:

http://www.soonersports.com/fls/31000/projects/14signingday/brown.html

The resulting image of the player is the same as the home page, with their high school number substituted. That's all.

Reading way too much into some web designer's work and programming, folks. There's only one...image. And it's used over and over. :congratulatory:

http://www.soonersports.com/fls/31000/projects/14signingday/images/model-brown.png

8timechamps
2/6/2014, 07:45 PM
I'm skeptical that it's a uniform change. My guess is it's from a stock photo and they added the colors and the OU helmet. The 14 was added, I'm guessing, because it's 2014. (Duh.)

When you visit the signing day section (which is really well done) http://www.soonersports.com/fls/31000/projects/14signingday/ and click on any of the signees, you get to a page like this:

http://www.soonersports.com/fls/31000/projects/14signingday/brown.html

The resulting image of the player is the same as the home page, with their high school number substituted. That's all.

Reading way too much into some web designer's work and programming, folks. There's only one...image. And it's used over and over. :congratulatory:

I always look for uniform changes (it's an obsessive hobby), so that's why this caught my eyeball.

Looking at the individual player pages (with their numbers), it could be that the particular font used was easier for the 20+ customized graphics. That would make sense.

I would add this though, Stoops made it clear that there would be somethings coming eventually, and I think we're all hoping that it's not too drastic. So, some minor changes (like the ones discussed) would fall in line with that. Maybe not so far fetched...

cvsooner
2/6/2014, 09:13 PM
Typeface looks to me like it was closest they could find to the interlocking 'OU' on the helmet, which they used for the nameplates across the back and then used it for the numbers. It's what us artsy types call a condensed typeface, so even with long names you can squeeze more letters in there.

My guess, anyway.

New uniform designs though I'm sure are a possibility. It's all the rage with kidz these daze.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/7/2014, 12:14 AM
The 14 is for 2014.

Oh yeah. I'm still living in 2013 :)