PDA

View Full Version : Mack Brown told recruits to look around

Mazeppa
2/4/2014, 11:53 AM
During the week he resigned,

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24428379/recruit-mack-brown-told-texas-commitments-to-look-around

BoulderSooner79
2/4/2014, 12:08 PM
During the week he resigned,

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24428379/recruit-mack-brown-told-texas-commitments-to-look-around

I wonder if Mack was a bitter at that point? :D

But in all fairness, this has the sound of something easily taken out of context. Brown could have said something like "if you committed strictly based on our current coaching staff…" I'm sure it sounded strange to an 18yo kid who is used to coaches constantly in sell mode. Brown could have just been trying to convey the fact that things were going to change at UT and trying to brace the kids before the shock.

stoopified
2/4/2014, 12:48 PM
Boo did the same thing

lexsooner
2/4/2014, 01:09 PM
I wonder if Mack was a bitter at that point? :D

But in all fairness, this has the sound of something easily taken out of context. Brown could have said something like "if you committed strictly based on our current coaching staff…" I'm sure it sounded strange to an 18yo kid who is used to coaches constantly in sell mode. Brown could have just been trying to convey the fact that things were going to change at UT and trying to brace the kids before the shock.

I would think so. Mack has always been a class act. Glad he was UT's coach and not ours, but he is a good guy and I just don't see him being vindictive.

lexsooner
2/4/2014, 01:10 PM
Boo did the same thing

He destroyed recruiting files and more, didn't he? A measure of true incompetence is not having the insight to realize you are incompetent.

olevetonahill
2/4/2014, 01:18 PM
He destroyed recruiting files and more, didn't he? A measure of true incompetence is not having the insight to realize you are incompetent.

So kinda like being an Incompetent Incompetent?

lexsooner
2/4/2014, 01:21 PM
So kinda like being an Incompetent Incompetent?

Well, yes he was, bless his heart.

Widescreen
2/4/2014, 01:38 PM
I would think so. Mack has always been a class act. Glad he was UT's coach and not ours, but he is a good guy and I just don't see him being vindictive.

I can think of one scenario where he wasn't so classy.

olevetonahill
2/4/2014, 01:42 PM
I can think of one scenario where he wasn't so classy.

Share it. I never really liked his Ugly *** anyway.
He Looked Stupid and that Ugly assed orange made him look even stupider !

SoonerorLater
2/4/2014, 02:22 PM
No sour grapes here. Mack just looking out for the kids.

winout
2/4/2014, 03:06 PM
I'm sure he meant look around in Texas.

picasso
2/4/2014, 03:43 PM
I think he told 'em to jump around. Not look around.
And he finished with hang loose bloods!

8timechamps
2/4/2014, 07:47 PM
I don't know how much credibility I give this accusation. I'm not going to knock a high school kid, so I'll just say that sometimes high school kids aren't the most reliable source of information.

I think at the most, Brown probably said the same thing he always said to recruits, make sure Texas is where you want to be before you commit.

lexsooner
2/4/2014, 08:28 PM
I don't know how much credibility I give this accusation. I'm not going to knock a high school kid, so I'll just say that sometimes high school kids aren't the most reliable source of information.

I think at the most, Brown probably said the same thing he always said to recruits, make sure Texas is where you want to be before you commit.

Yeah, a teenage high school athlete is not the most reliable source of information or maturity. I think high school football recruits invented the concept of a "soft commitment." You wonder why even commit in the first place, . . . never mind. Try explaining it to some 18 year old.

Mazeppa
2/4/2014, 08:55 PM
I'm sure there's more to the story but what fun would it be hearing all of it?

8timechamps
2/4/2014, 10:56 PM
I'm sure there's more to the story but what fun would it be hearing all of it?

Yeah, I'd like to be a fly on the wall.

I'm sure there are a lot of recruiting stories I would find "interesting".

BoulderSooner79
2/4/2014, 11:13 PM
Yeah, a teenage high school athlete is not the most reliable source of information or maturity. I think high school football recruits invented the concept of a "soft commitment." You wonder why even commit in the first place, . . . never mind. Try explaining it to some 18 year old.

That one is easy. They want to make sure they have a slot assured somewhere while they look around to see if something else is better. Just human nature.

oupride
2/5/2014, 07:04 PM
http://www.backmack.com (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ)

BajaOklahoma
2/5/2014, 07:10 PM
Dallas radio is reporting that Mack told the recruits that if they committed to texas because Mack was the coach, then should look around since he was leaving. He is also reported to have said that if the players committed to texas because they wanted to play for texas, then they should stay.
The info is said to have come from several recruit's parents.