PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Coke commercial

BigTip
2/3/2014, 08:54 AM
The only other one in the room that was offended by this commercial was my brother in law.
This country is doomed I tell ya.

I told them that if all the diverse people depicted were singing with their respective accents, in ENGLISH, that would have been a feel good commercial.
We are "tolerating" our country into oblivion.

Ton Loc
2/3/2014, 10:29 AM
Lol - I knew this was coming.

I bet you're a blast at parties if you let coke commercials offend you. Something made in America and enjoyed around the world.

badger
2/3/2014, 12:11 PM
Something made in America and enjoyed around the world.

When you think about it like this, rather than worrying that Americans are singing in other languages, I'm not sure how it can be offensive... it's like the Chinese guy singing "Houston" while driving around China in a Yao Ming jersey a decade ago. Bawwww, he's acting American because he loves basketball :)

It didn't offend me, but for those that want more people to speak English I can see how it might upset them

Bourbon St Sooner
2/3/2014, 01:24 PM
Really? My wife was born and grew up in Poland and still speaks Polish. Would it offend you if she sang in Polish?

FaninAma
2/3/2014, 02:07 PM
Really? My wife was born and grew up in Poland and still speaks Polish. Would it offend you if she sang in Polish?

Bilingualism is cool. I bet she can also sing the song in English. Maybe all the characters in the commercial can too.

SoonerProphet
2/3/2014, 02:09 PM
Jesus Christ and some people claim those on the left are a bunch of p*ssies. This is the world's most global beverage. Have any of these nit wits ever heard the term "soft power".

BigTip
2/3/2014, 03:30 PM
Would the French accept people singing the La Marseillaise in English as a sign of French patriotism? Of course not.

The problem I have is not multiculturalism. I embrace that. That is what made America the great nation it was in the past. That's right, I said in the past.
But this Coke commercial perfectly captulizes our problem now. We are blurring the line between embracing multiculturalism and allowing separate cultures to exist while still trying to be one nation.
Never in history has it succeeded. This is one reason Quebec keeps trying to secede from Canada. "We speak a different language. We are different from them."
But our liberal minded society, and I mean that in a good way, has decided that we will tolerate every other cultural and religion at the cost of our own.
And I don't mind a Muslim saying a prayer in school. Just don't be offended when a Christian says one.
Sorry, but I see this as a huge problem for America. And when a staid, respected, corporation does not see it, then I fear for the future of America.
Like I said, if the people in the commercial, representing all those culturals, were singing a patriotic song in an accented English, it would have been a great commercial. That is what made this country great. Many nationalities coming here to become Americans.
Just a reminder too: It is still required to demonstrate a proficiency in English to become a US citizen.

Ton Loc
2/3/2014, 03:42 PM
Would the French accept people singing the La Marseillaise in English as a sign of French patriotism? Of course not.

The problem I have is not multiculturalism. I embrace that. That is what made America the great nation it was in the past. That's right, I said in the past.
But this Coke commercial perfectly captulizes our problem now. We are blurring the line between embracing multiculturalism and allowing separate cultures to exist while still trying to be one nation.
Never in history has it succeeded. This is one reason Quebec keeps trying to secede from Canada. "We speak a different language. We are different from them."
But our liberal minded society, and I mean that in a good way, has decided that we will tolerate every other cultural and religion at the cost of our own.
And I don't mind a Muslim saying a prayer in school. Just don't be offended when a Christian says one.
Sorry, but I see this as a huge problem for America. And when a staid, respected, corporation does not see it, then I fear for the future of America.
Like I said, if the people in the commercial, representing all those culturals, were singing a patriotic song in an accented English, it would have been a great commercial. That is what made this country great. Many nationalities coming here to become Americans.
Just a reminder too: It is still required to demonstrate a proficiency in English to become a US citizen.

Gathered all that from a 30 second coke commercial?

Regardless, I have bad news for you. Your scary vision of the future is coming or it may already be here. Even worse, as you get older your perspective dives even deeper into the crazy old man pool - So its just going to get worse. Good news though, when you die all your worries (real or imagined) completely vanish *Poof* ---

olevetonahill
2/3/2014, 04:37 PM
I Dont GAS. aint drank a Coke Cola in years. Do seem the "America" orta be sung in English but oh well

okiewaker
2/3/2014, 04:52 PM
I drank a coke this morn. Anyway, Whittling away, each day, inch by inch. We turning!

Soonerjeepman
2/3/2014, 04:57 PM
didn't see it but I will add my 2 cents about embracing/indoctrinating other cultures vs being an American (USA).

at my ele school in KCK we just put up, well the district did, about 8 flags of different countries, I'm assuming representing the "cultures" in our district. Kind of weird seeing flags from communist countries (I believe, I need to check) in our gym. The ONLY saving grace is the USA flag is about 3 inches higher...that's it.

BigTip
2/3/2014, 05:14 PM

Regardless, I have bad news for you. Your scary vision of the future is coming or it may already be here. Even worse, as you get older your perspective dives even deeper into the crazy old man pool - So its just going to get worse. Good news though, when you die all your worries (real or imagined) completely vanish *Poof* ---

Yup.

rock on sooner
2/3/2014, 05:15 PM
Hoover High School, about a mile from my home, is a veritable United
Nations school....last year's graduation class spoke 33...thirty three!..
languages. This is Des Moines, Eye-O-Way, fer cryin out loud, so, yeah,
Ton Loc's point is spot on...it is here and expanding!

Ton Loc
2/3/2014, 05:15 PM
didn't see it but I will add my 2 cents about embracing/indoctrinating other cultures vs being an American (USA).

at my ele school in KCK we just put up, well the district did, about 8 flags of different countries, I'm assuming representing the "cultures" in our district. Kind of weird seeing flags from communist countries (I believe, I need to check) in our gym. The ONLY saving grace is the USA flag is about 3 inches higher...that's it.

Strange that they're doing that in Kansas. Maybe you missed the world's fair? I'd question the communist part - there are only a few countries that are and their flags are pretty recognizable. (China, Laos, Cuba, North Korea, Vietnam)

okie52
2/3/2014, 05:23 PM
Hoover High School, about a mile from my home, is a veritable United
Nations school....last year's graduation class spoke 33...thirty three!..
languages. This is Des Moines, Eye-O-Way, fer cryin out loud, so, yeah,
Ton Loc's point is spot on...it is here and expanding!

Any of those languages English?

Soonerjeepman
2/3/2014, 05:24 PM
Strange that they're doing that in Kansas. Maybe you missed the world's fair? I'd question the communist part - there are only a few countries that are and their flags are pretty recognizable. (China, Laos, Cuba, North Korea, Vietnam)

ya know ton..$uck you...proud to from Kansas....I'm going to assume you are actually from Okla...well, hate to break it to ya buddy but Oklahoma is just as a$$ backwards as Ks in a lot of regards. Yes, my parents, grand-parents, great-grand parents (who made the land run) are from Oklahoma..just for your info.

Got another news flash...we HAVE kids from those countries in our district..so YES they actually could be from there.

lexsooner
2/3/2014, 06:12 PM
How much would you wager that the very best students in these diverse schools come from immigrant homes which speak another language, and oh yes, these kids outperform and outscore on English tests their classmates who speak only English? Just a wild guess.;)

Ton Loc
2/3/2014, 06:21 PM
ya know ton..$uck you...proud to from Kansas....I'm going to assume you are actually from Okla...well, hate to break it to ya buddy but Oklahoma is just as a$$ backwards as Ks in a lot of regards. Yes, my parents, grand-parents, great-grand parents (who made the land run) are from Oklahoma..just for your info.

Got another news flash...we HAVE kids from those countries in our district..so YES they actually could be from there.

Chill buddy. I was generally interested in the goings on up there. Communist flags raised in a school without much explanation would be cause for some concern. Surprisingly, I'm not trying to be a sarcastic *** everytime I post...usually, but not this time.

8timechamps
2/3/2014, 07:21 PM
I've heard several people that were offended by the commercial. I wasn't one of them.

If it were the National Anthem, then I might have had an issue...*might*.

I guess I just didn't see anything offensive about it. Coke has always used the "we serve the world" type marketing, so I didn't find the commercial surprising, or really even "good".

Curly Bill
2/3/2014, 07:25 PM
Coke sucks, and will continue to suck, regardless of what politically correct path they choose to follow.

Turd_Ferguson
2/3/2014, 07:41 PM
Coke sucks, and will continue to suck, regardless of what politically correct path they choose to follow.

Wurd.

Soonerjeepman
2/3/2014, 07:42 PM
Chill buddy. I was generally interested in the goings on up there. Communist flags raised in a school without much explanation would be cause for some concern. Surprisingly, I'm not trying to be a sarcastic *** everytime I post...usually, but not this time.

my bad...

olevetonahill
2/3/2014, 07:50 PM
The ONLY thing be good fer is mixin with Rum.

Curly Bill
2/3/2014, 07:56 PM
The ONLY thing be good fer is mixin with Rum.

TRUTH

BigTip
2/3/2014, 09:01 PM

Made me laugh.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/4/2014, 04:43 AM
Boycott Coke! Your health will thank you.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/4/2014, 04:47 AM

Hell 'Tip, you would likely get arrested in France and put in jail...

"Diversity" or "allowing the lowest common denomiator to reign at work" is the biggest pile of crap ever perpetrated on the American people. The leftist and libtards started it and pushed it into FEDGOV. This will separate and divide the Americans. No longer a "one people" but like 'Tip says, many people who have to get their way...

Tulsa_Fireman
2/6/2014, 01:14 AM
I'd like to teach the world to sing
in perfect harmony...

I'd like to buy the world a Coke
and keep it company.

hawaii 5-0
2/6/2014, 09:53 AM
Coke will buy my next car.

5-0

olevetonahill
2/6/2014, 09:58 AM
Coke will buy my next car.

5-0

So ya sayin ya started Dealing?

hawaii 5-0
2/7/2014, 01:12 AM
So ya sayin ya started Dealing?

Good one, but no. Coca Cola stock has been very good over the years. Besides Coke, they also own Minute Maid and Dasani Water.

5-0

olevetonahill
2/7/2014, 01:33 AM
Good one, but no. Coca Cola stock has been very good over the years. Besides Coke, they also own Minute Maid and Dasani Water.

5-0

Good on ya. I dont drank Soda water often but did ya see where Coke Cola is gonna buy into Kureg (sp)

Gonna do a K cup type Coke drink?

hawaii 5-0
2/7/2014, 01:52 AM
Good on ya. I dont drank Soda water often but did ya see where Coke Cola is gonna buy into Kureg (sp)

Gonna do a K cup type Coke drink?

Pretty strange thinking about that. Coke bought about 10% of GMCR. I've given up soda for awhile to lose my Santa weight.

I'd be curious to see how that turns out, the K cups of Coke.

Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (owners of Kuerig) helped buy my last car. (them and Apple)

5-0

rock on sooner
2/7/2014, 07:20 AM

Heh, Yup, Okie, I fergot, 34 languages..33 of em furrin...

olevetonahill
2/7/2014, 08:00 AM
Heh, Yup, Okie, I fergot, 34 languages..33 of em furrin...

He were figuring ALL of em were from somewheres else!

FaninAma
2/7/2014, 11:35 AM

Your nihilism doesn't make you cool.... it just makes you seem like an ***.

So,which non-english speaking region should this country be more like.......Latin America? Africa? Asia? The Muslim nations? Great Britain is really enjoying their immigration policy in regards to their Muslim population. I guess that makes those of us who want to avoid this situation just crazy old men.

And why is it going to get worse.....because the progressives in both parties think it is fine to ignore immigration laws so they can recruit more potential voters for their party or please their deep-pocketed donors?

Skysooner
2/7/2014, 02:17 PM
How much would you wager that the very best students in these diverse schools come from immigrant homes which speak another language, and oh yes, these kids outperform and outscore on English tests their classmates who speak only English? Just a wild guess.;)

I actively encourage my kids to learn different languages. My youngest speaks almost fluent Japanese now that he learned in school and we send him to a school on weekends to practice. I am pushing him towards international business, and yes he is #1 in his class at school. We speak nothing but English at home even though I speak a bit of Spanish as well (learned in high school).

olevetonahill
2/7/2014, 02:21 PM
And Coke a Cola says a Big F.U. and airs a Longer version LOL
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/coke-defiantly-air-longer-version-39-america-beautiful-143516003--abc-news-deals.html?vp=1

OU_Sooners75
2/7/2014, 03:39 PM
I have yet to see the commercial.

But I do have a question. And this has very little to do with a 30 second commercial.

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that Americanism is dead?

Yes, I want it as much as anyone else. But the liberal ****tards of this country has made sure that America is the next great empire to fall.

Unless something changes, the empire of America will be memories of the past. It will be studied much like we study the Romans now.

I am not saying diversity is bad. What I am saying is that it is bad to try to please all cultures. If I were to move to, say China, I would not expect to change their culture. But when a diverse group of people move here, they want their culture to stay the same, or have some type of major influence over other cultures.

If you come to America, you can keep your culture, but don't try to change those that have been born and raised here. Adapt the culture you decide to live in!

But then again, why would you want the same culture that you are moving away from?

8timechamps
2/7/2014, 06:06 PM
Pretty strange thinking about that. Coke bought about 10% of GMCR. I've given up soda for awhile to lose my Santa weight.

I'd be curious to see how that turns out, the K cups of Coke.

Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (owners of Kuerig) helped buy my last car. (them and Apple)

5-0

I've held GMCR for a long time, and other than the pop it got off of Kuerig, it's been pretty much a buy and hold stock. I believe in the CEO, and think they will continue to be a solid company. It's going to be interesting to see where the Coke thing goes, but I'm more interested in the Cambell's interest in K-cup, because a cup of soup makes a lot more sense than a Coke K-cup (I think it's going to be more like flavored water though).

hawaii 5-0
2/8/2014, 03:28 AM
Flavored water. Broth. I want some meat, noodles or veggies in my soup.

We'll see....... Meanwhile it went up another $5.65 today after rising $20+ yesterday.

I don't recall in the 'America Manual' where every one of us came from England.

There's lots of places here where whole groups of people speak the same language and it ain't English. Oh, and they're all American.

5-0

sooner46
2/15/2014, 11:12 AM
I do not care if people know seven different languages and speak a different one in their home each day of the week or with other people that speak that language. But when we met at the back fence, at the store or at work we all need to speak the same language. Not being able to communicate is what causes misunderstanding and then problems. Look at the movie “The Postman” shows you what not communicating does. Once they started communicating issues were settled. We all need to pull together and that means all.
Coke was wrong and is still wrong; as someone said there intent was not to show pride or patriotism in our country but to be PC in order to sell their product. If they had showed pride or patriotism in our country they would have still sold their product, after all it was an American Football game. The ad did not show unity or a melting pot but it encouraged division. The message was I want to live here but I want my own little country, the muslin has already tried that in Oklahoma. You dive into some parts of towns you cannot read the store signs and you tell me they want to be Americans, I think not. Having the different nationals was fine but they should have sung it in English. It was “American the Beautiful” not Iran the beautiful or whatever other country.
In the long run, coke like other companies and the government is promoting the acceptance of the one world government that is coming. People have to wake up.