PDA

View Full Version : Hamburger Chains

8timechamps
2/3/2014, 12:45 AM
I've noticed a couple of hamburger chains opening up here (Denver) over the past year or so:

Smash Burger
5 Guys

I keep hearing about how great they are, but I'm skeptical. I don't eat a lot of burgers, but the last time I was told I "had to try" one was In 'n Out, and I wasn't blown away. Anyone had either of these, are they good? Average?

Turd_Ferguson
2/3/2014, 12:59 AM
Haven't had Smash, but I have had 5 guys. I think it's pretty good.

olevetonahill
2/3/2014, 01:04 AM
Its a ****in Hamburger joint, How special can it be?

BoulderSooner79
2/3/2014, 01:24 AM
Smash Burger has sponsored the Bicycle Pro Tour Challenge (i.e. Tour of Colorado), so I would encourage you to buy a burger from them. I will if I make it CO this summer for some riding.

Boomer.....
2/3/2014, 09:09 AM
They have also entered the OKC market within the last few years. Both are good, but I would give the advantage to Smash Burger.

SoonerStormchaser
2/3/2014, 11:41 AM
Personally, I found 5 guys to be one greasy-*** burger...

Sooner in Tampa
2/3/2014, 12:05 PM
Tampa has seen a influx of "upscale" buger joints...Square One, Buger 21, and Burger Monger...just to name a few. I am a big fan of Square One...but I haven't tried the others...

I agree about 5 guys being a greasy *** burger...

Mjcpr
2/3/2014, 12:22 PM
My only advice is to avoid White Castle.

okiewaker
2/3/2014, 01:23 PM
I seen a Smash Burger joint in Moore. I'll have to try it if folks seem to prefer it over 5 guys. I thot 5 guys was pretty good.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/3/2014, 02:14 PM
Smash Burger is delicious. Love their fried jalapeņos. 5 guys not so much. As one payer stated, very greasy.

reflector
2/3/2014, 02:19 PM
I've noticed a couple of hamburger chains opening up here (Denver) over the past year or so:

Smash Burger
5 Guys

I keep hearing about how great they are, but I'm skeptical. I don't eat a lot of burgers, but the last time I was told I "had to try" one was In 'n Out, and I wasn't blown away. Anyone had either of these, are they good? Average?

They opened a Smash Burger over by the Walmart over here. I like it. It is kind of expensive, but it is still good. It is in the same shopping center as the Belle Isle Walmart in Oklahoma City

8timechamps
2/3/2014, 05:16 PM
My only advice is to avoid White Castle.

I'm just glad there were no White Castles in Oklahoma during my college years. Could have been bad.

Scott D
2/3/2014, 07:46 PM
Smash Burger is definitely a good burger. You get a lot more personalized on the toppings than at 5 Guys. I'd say it's more of a fast food version of Bagger Dave's.

5 Guys is good if you like the whole greasy burger wrapped in foil with an ungodly amount of fries in a cup.

Out of the two I would go to Smash Burger more than 5 Guys, but I've only got 1 Smash Burger near me, and 4 5 Guys that I can think of off the top of my head.

BigTip
2/3/2014, 09:21 PM
Personally, I found 5 guys to be one greasy-*** burger...

True Dat!
Lots of hype about the one opening near us. Went in there and saw them "cooking" the burgers on a flat grill. That grill was 2" deep in grease. It was nothing but a deep fried burger. Not a bargain either. We never went back.

In N Out is okay.

jkjsooner
2/4/2014, 08:12 AM
I like Five Guys but I'm a little biased since they're a DC institution. Sometimes a nice greasy burger is in order. I like the fresh jalapeņos.

When I lived in Virginia there was a Five Guys next to the gym. I'd go do a workout then undo it by getting a burger. In my defense I wouldn't get the fries...

Turd_Ferguson
2/4/2014, 09:28 AM
First time I got a 5 guys burger, it was to go. When I got home and seen all the extra fries, I was thinking...I'd fire that guys *** for dumping all those extra fries in there:D

stoops the eternal pimp
2/4/2014, 09:31 AM
5 guys gave me 5 diarrheas before I left the mall where I ate it.

In and Out lived up to its name also.

Turd_Ferguson
2/4/2014, 09:33 AM

In and Out lived up to its name also.

Not surprising since I think breathing air gives you at least 1 diarrhea...

jkjsooner
2/4/2014, 10:40 AM

So it was a good burger..

stoops the eternal pimp
2/4/2014, 10:45 AM
Really good..I didn't have to sit on the bench waiting for my wife to finish shopping..I was able to get in some game time on my phone without being bothered.

kbsooner21
2/4/2014, 03:49 PM
Isn't a burger supposed to be a greasy *** burger??

I like both places. Nothing special about either one, but not too shabby either.

Turd_Ferguson
2/4/2014, 04:16 PM
Isn't a burger supposed to be a greasy *** burger??

I like both places. Nothing special about either one, but not too shabby either.

Eggzackly. I don't go into a burger joint looking for something that's going to help me lose weight. I wan't that sumbitch dripping with fat.

SicEmBaylor
2/4/2014, 04:19 PM
There's nothing better on this world than a delicious greasy burger from Health Camp washed down with one of their chocolate malts. /thread

okiewaker
2/4/2014, 04:45 PM
I've had dry ***burgers, from Sonic. I prefer burgers I eat to be moist and fresh, a little greasy is okay.

CowboyMRW
2/4/2014, 04:49 PM
Smash Burger is really good, especially the smash fries.

5 guys is ok. Nothing special.

Fat Guys is the bomb though. By far my favorite burger joint.

GDC
2/4/2014, 05:33 PM
This guy should be nagged into Bolivia for his dumb *** signature...

stoops the eternal pimp
2/4/2014, 05:48 PM
I grade burgers by sharts... I would give both places 3 1/2 sharts.

8timechamps
2/4/2014, 08:15 PM
I grade burgers by sharts... I would give both places 3 1/2 sharts.

Out of a possible 5? That's still a hefty amount of drawer changing.

I agree with the above though, the messier the better. I'm gonna give SmashBurger a try this weekend. Planning ahead for sharts.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/6/2014, 01:07 AM
Smashburger is crap. The only thing they smash is your wallet. Puny patty, hidden by all the retardery they can cover the actual burger with to fool you into thinking you made out.

Save your cash. Place is a rip-off.

SIDE NOTE: Please keep the anti-White Castle heresy out of the thread or I'll notify the authorities.

BajaOklahoma
2/6/2014, 11:08 PM
Smash Burger has a Burger Day every year. If your last name has burger in it, you get a freebie. Food's good, but a little $$$.
Five Guys varies depending on who is running the griddle.

Twisted Root is my favorite.

Jacie
2/6/2014, 11:34 PM
Forget all them fancy new chains.

Just heard that Sonic will open a location in Watertown, about an hours drive for me.

It will feature indoor dining as opposed to the usual drive-in experience.

C&CDean
2/7/2014, 05:18 PM
Never ate at any of them. Except White Castle and that was 30+ years ago. There's too many little gas stations with good burgers for $3 to waste time/money searching out a Smash/5-Guys. Besides, Obama frequents 5-guys so I'm out on that one.

okiewaker
2/7/2014, 05:50 PM
I ate at Freddy's Steakburgers the other day,,,,,Crap. Maybe it was a bad cook that day, IDK. Never had a White Castle. Ate Johnny Rockets coupla years ago,,,decent.

virginiasooner
2/10/2014, 03:51 PM
I love Five Guys! Just burgers, hot dogs, and fries. No shakes (which gives me a sad). They don't try to do anything fancy. You get peanuts to eat while waiting for your burger. I've eaten at the first Five Guys on Columbia Pike.

There are other good burger joints here in Northern Virginia, like BGR (The Burger Joint), and Z-Burger (they gave out free burgers the first two days of the government shutdown last October). The onion rings at Z-Burger are better than their fries, and their shake menu is 79 items long (I've had about 6 different ones so far).

I avoided Johnny Rockets for years because it was owned by the midget Napoleon (Daniel Snyder, owner of the Redskins), but since he sold it I've eaten there a couple of times. It's a nice change from eating at Popeye's at Pentagon City, but Sonic has better burgers.

bluedogok
2/10/2014, 10:27 PM
Smashburger is based here.....we prefer Crave (http://craverealburgers.com/) in Castle Rock, they opened up a location in Highlands Ranch recently. The Cherry Cricket in the Cherry Creek North area is pretty good as well.