PDA

View Full Version : Big Game Bob vs. Barry and Bud

HateTheWhorns
1/26/2014, 04:04 PM
I remember when Brent Mushmouth coined this nickname. It was a badge of honor after such a tremendous run in 2000 and 2001. With the loss of back to back NCs it began to be used in a derogatory fashion by nearly anyone not of the crimson and cream. After the Alabama Sugar Bowl and perusing several enemy forums, it was nice to see it beginning to be used again in its original intent. This prompted me to see where Bob’s resume compares to our two hall of fame coaches.

Bob, Barry, Bud
Seasons: 15, 16, 17
Games Coached: 199, 190, 178
NC’s: 1, 3, 3
Overall Record: 160-39-0, 157-29-4, 145-29-4
Winning %: 80.4%, 83.7%, 82.6%
Top 20 Opponents: 38-20 (50-22 against top 25), 43-21-4, 28-18-1
Top 20 Opponents (as underdog): 12-9, 12-10-2, 9-11-1
Top 10 Opponents: 18-13, 20-17-2, 15-13-1
Bowl Record: 8-7, 8-5, 6-2

Bob has coached his entire career during an era where the playing field is level (scholarship limits, comprehensive statistical analysis available on all opponents, complete and immediate footage on all opponents games, etc.). About the only difference between his record and OU’s two hall of fame coaches is one NC win. I think if Bob had won any of the other three NC games he would be looked at in a completely different light outside of Norman. OU was the lower ranked team in all four NC games (except for FSU) but was a double digit underdog against FSU. If TK can lead OU to #8 over the next two or three years, it will round out a nice hall of fame career.

Impressive career and proud to have Bob as our coach.

picasso
1/26/2014, 04:49 PM
How dare you!

okiewaker
1/26/2014, 04:59 PM
" proud to have Bob as our coach"
He done good. Significant upgrade from Blake.

Widescreen
1/26/2014, 05:06 PM
Significant upgrade from Blake.

I'm sure that's what he was shooting for.

Soonerjeepman
1/26/2014, 05:16 PM
honestly, yes, when Barry and Bud coached it was a whole different ballgame. I honestly think that Bob has probably done as well..maybe even better considering. On the advantage side of Bob...all those things you mentioned have also helped him. Only so many good RB, Olineman, etc can be on one team..scholly limit...so that allowed other good players to look elsewhere...(not bama, lsu, ND, but at OU) can be both good and bad. Better scouting, communication, etc.

Therealsouthsider
1/26/2014, 05:29 PM
...Bud was a gentleman, Barry an open book and both treated the fan base like family...Bob on the other hand... well, you know

ss

oupride
1/26/2014, 06:31 PM
I noticed it too, thanks for the post.

rock on sooner
1/26/2014, 06:42 PM
" proud to have Bob as our coach"
He done good. Significant upgrade from Blake.

I promise to be humble here.....

I, yes, me, would be an upgrade from Blake and I once coached
some kids on how to throw a dayum football....

stoopified
1/26/2014, 08:01 PM
Not meaning to be a spoiler here but Bud,Barry and Bennie are OUr Hall of Fame coaches.Bob is a future HOFer.Bennie may not have as flashy numbers as the others but he made his mark while being a one man stletic department,serving as baseball,basketball coach,athletic director and athletic fundraiser while also coaching football at OU.

stoopified
1/26/2014, 08:04 PM
Did I forget to mention Owen had only a couple of assistants,no schollies and was ticket manager in his spare time? It should be noted OU is the ONLY school to have FOUR coaches with 100+ wins at their school.

SoonerorLater
1/26/2014, 08:49 PM
You can only play under the rules of the day in any sport. Bud played by the rules of the time and won 3 titles (should have been four). Barry played by the rules of the day and won three. Stoops played by the rules of the day and won one. All three had their bad days but Stoops just had more really bad losses on a national stage. Is Stoops a good coach? Yes, emphatically. Does he leverage all of the rules and figure out every angle that can be exploited? No. Does Stoops have another NC left in him? Yes I think he does.

dennis580
1/26/2014, 09:04 PM
The first thing I think about Bob Stoops era is his 87-5 home record. Stoops doesn't get enough credit for his home field domination.

Widescreen
1/26/2014, 10:00 PM
The home field dominance took a hit in 2012 but 2013 was good. 2014 should be interesting since we have some pretty good teams coming to Norman.

aurorasooner
1/26/2014, 10:42 PM
I was too young to remember Bud except during his last few years. He was always a gentleman from what I do remember.
I went to OU during the Mckenzie, Fairbanks, Switzer years, and a some items I remember was 1) they usually had a hard-hitting quality D 2) the offense was usually in a track meet mode 3) Switzer had a helluva of a personality and could relate to the fans.
I think Stoops, for the most part, has done a good job. I do agree that he could be a little more personable, but wth.
As long as the AD and Prez keep an eye on who he brings in as assistants, and they limit his friends and family plan to his brother, who I think is a good DC, I think we'll be ok, if Heupel (or whoever made up the offensive game plan vs 'Bama) does more of the same (timely screens, misdirection, 1st down positive gains, etc).
It'll be interesting to see if the offense builds off the Sugar Bowl game-plan or reverts back into the lame, conservative game-plan (everyone watching the game knows what the offensive play is and where it's designed to go from the formation), and if/when we get back to a quality Sooner D (holy crap after watching the Sugar Bowl back the other night, we whiffed on a ton of tackles), the other side of the ball does its share or it goes back into its previous predictable, 3 and out, shell.
They raised the bar back to normal with the Sugar Bowl win, especially with so many injuries, so it'll also be interesting if the coaches continue to earn their relatively high salaries or they play golf and spend most of their time on the beach in the off-season. Part of that should be answered shortly with the quality of this next recruiting class.

okiewaker
1/26/2014, 10:44 PM
I promise to be humble here.....
I, yes, me, would be an upgrade from Blake and I once coached
some kids on how to throw a dayum football....

So,,,you agree. Lol

PrideMom
1/27/2014, 11:39 AM
You guys make me laugh! You remind of people comparing what high school days were like "way back when" to today. I would say that Bob Stoops has done a fabulous job given all of the restraints the NCAA has manufactured, plus parents' attitudes, media, etc. Competition has completely changed to when both Bud and Barry were coaches. Training and nuitrition also have played a big part. I am proud to say that Bob Stoops is OUr coach, because he is honest, and wants to do things the right way.

HateTheWhorns
1/28/2014, 09:38 AM
Not meaning to be a spoiler here but Bud,Barry and Bennie are OUr Hall of Fame coaches.Bob is a future HOFer.Bennie may not have as flashy numbers as the others but he made his mark while being a one man stletic department,serving as baseball,basketball coach,athletic director and athletic fundraiser while also coaching football at OU.

Yep! Didn't mean to leave Bennie out of the discussion. Just comparing moden day results that were largely poll-based.

Harris County Sooner
1/28/2014, 07:03 PM
...Bud played by the rules of the time and won 3 titles (should have been four). Barry played by the rules of the day and won three. Stoops played by the rules of the day and won one.
Not the way I heered it. Bud and Barry both drew probations from the NCAA. Bob dodged a bullet by properly handling the Bomar incident.

picasso
1/28/2014, 10:48 PM
...Bud was a gentleman, Barry an open book and both treated the fan base like family...Bob on the other hand... well, you know

ss
I offered Stoops a large painting I'd done on loan via email back in '01.
He had his secretary call me later that day with a gracious message.
I thought that was pretty big of him.

HateTheWhorns
1/31/2014, 02:45 PM

No doubt that Bennie Owen is an OU legend and Hall of Famer, but in 1920 there were just over 90 college football teams nationwide (no DI, or I-AA, or DII, or DIII). Today there are over 400. Also, no polls and no way to compare his results to Bob, Barry, and Bud. No slight on Bennie, just a completely different (incomparable) era. No point in comparing OU's zero NCs back then to the 20+ that the Ivy League claimed by then. Actually, their NCs should be recognized as conference championships :)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/31/2014, 03:10 PM
No doubt that Bennie Owen is an OU legend and Hall of Famer, but in 1920 there were just over 90 college football teams nationwide (no DI, or I-AA, or DII, or DIII). Today there are over 400. Also, no polls and no way to compare his results to Bob, Barry, and Bud. No slight on Bennie, just a completely different (incomparable) era. No point in comparing OU's zero NCs back then to the 20+ that the Ivy League claimed by then. Actually, their NCs should be recognized as conference championships :)but, but...FIELDING YOST won 6 for the maize and blue!

HateTheWhorns
1/31/2014, 06:45 PM
but, but...FIELDING YOST won 6 for the maize and blue!

I think 79 schools claimed NCs from 1901 - 1926. Alabama claimed 25 of them :)

Wishboned
1/31/2014, 09:03 PM
I think 79 schools claimed NCs from 1901 - 1926. Alabama claimed 25 of them :)

Auburn is jumping on the NC bandwagon now.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/31/roll-tigers-auburn-looking-to-pad-historical-title-resume/

SoonerMachine
2/1/2014, 12:17 PM
A motivated Switzer beats 'em all...and Bennie was the Grandfather of Sooner Football!

HateTheWhorns
2/1/2014, 05:35 PM
You can only play under the rules of the day in any sport. Bud played by the rules of the time and won 3 titles (should have been four). Barry played by the rules of the day and won three. Stoops played by the rules of the day and won one. All three had their bad days but Stoops just had more really bad losses on a national stage. Is Stoops a good coach? Yes, emphatically. Does he leverage all of the rules and figure out every angle that can be exploited? No. Does Stoops have another NC left in him? Yes I think he does.

Bud should have had four.

Barry shoulda/coulda have had 8 or 9 (1973, 1977, 1978, 1984, 1986, & 1987). 1973 was probation that Barry was knee-deep in (Kerry Jackson grade scandal). 1977 was the choke job against Lou Holtz. 1978 was 8 fumbles in Lincoln. 1984 was losing to an inferior UW team, 1986 & 1987 were losing to very good UM teams, but should have won at least one of them.

Bob has had the opportunity to win 4 or 5. Won his first in 2000. A crippled Jason White hurt us in 2003. In 2004, we were outmanned and outexecuted. In 2008, we couldn't convert field position into points. Also had an opportunity in 2001 (OSU choke job). We had the defense to play with anyone.

picasso
2/1/2014, 05:53 PM
'87 possibly but no way we beat them in '86.