PDA

View Full Version : Killing over texting

Skysooner
1/25/2014, 07:11 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/cops-friends-stunned-respected-captain-movie-theater-slaying-article-1.1578945 (Former cop kills man over texting)

For those that haven't heard of this, a retired police captain shot and killed a man for texting during a movie. This was in Florida (home of "stand your ground").

Don't take this as me condoning texting during a movie. I don't like that either. I will text during the 30 minute long previews just out of sheer boredom. However most of the time I just read my Kindle.

Two years ago I was with my 12 year old son at a movie over Thanksgiving before Skyfall. I had texted twice and was pulling my phone out to shut it down (don't even want the temptation to check it). This was during previews. The older woman grabbed my arm and said, "Could you please put that up?" and her husband next to her said, "Before I shove it up your a**". I was too stunned at both of the comments right together and that she would grab my arm without even asking me nicely to put it up. I stewed all movie and as soon as it was over, I told him it was parking lot time. He said one word, "Junior" and I told him to shut up before I kicked his ***. I am not normally a violent person, but the lack of civility was frightening. My son and I let him and his wife walk out. We kept our distance as I did not trust my anger. This reminded me so much of the situation in the movie that it was haunting. That guy could have been carrying a gun.

Personally I wouldn't mind them frying this guy, but they are only charging him with second degree murder. Goes to show that even trained people can't always control their tendencies to use a weapon.

Makes me want to get my concealed carry sometimes but not sure what it would help.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/26/2014, 02:53 AM
Sky, i also had a WTF moment on this one. I wonder if he went "Falling Down" on this one...

yermom
1/26/2014, 09:31 AM
i'm sure people have been killed for less

but the headlines don't really tell the story

the shooter complains to management, the texter confronts the shooter.

so the somewhat elderly man feels threatened and shoots him

the guy wasn't exactly just minding his own business and got shot. who knows what he was saying or how he was posturing when he got in his face

Skysooner
1/26/2014, 02:11 PM
I don't know what to think honestly. I still think he was too quick to pull his gun and should have known better with his experience. Makes you really worry about the people that only had gun safety training. Although doesn't a C&C permit mean that you have had some training on when to pull and when not to? Honest question since I don't know.

olevetonahill
1/26/2014, 02:20 PM
I don't know what to think honestly. I still think he was too quick to pull his gun and should have known better with his experience. Makes you really worry about the people that only had gun safety training. Although doesn't a C&C permit mean that you have had some training on when to pull and when not to? Honest question since I don't know.

For the most part yes, Tho some states dont require ANY training at all

Eielson
1/26/2014, 02:40 PM
I can see why he felt threatened if somebody 30 years younger was yelling and throwing stuff at him. Way too quick to pull the trigger, though, unless the texter was coming towards him. What a shame.

olevetonahill
1/26/2014, 02:49 PM
I can see why he felt threatened if somebody 30 years younger was yelling and throwing stuff at him. Way too quick to pull the trigger, though, unless the texter was coming towards him. What a shame.

The dead dude shouldnt been texting and the Old dude shoulda kept his trap shut.
People need to show a Little common courtesy and Others need to learn to Mind their own ****in Business

Jacie
1/26/2014, 02:58 PM
Yeah, teach him a lesson. Bet he'll never text in a theater again. Oh wait, he's dead . . .

Eielson
1/26/2014, 03:00 PM
I agree. I don't think any lives should have been in danger over this, though.

I don't get pulling a gun over texting and popcorn, but I don't get bullying an old man, either.

olevetonahill
1/26/2014, 03:02 PM
Yeah, teach him a lesson. Bet he'll never text in a theater again. Oh wait, he's dead . . .

By the same thinkin The Other guy wont ever tote a Gun into a Theater again either.

olevetonahill
1/26/2014, 03:03 PM
I agree. I don't think any lives should have been in danger over this, though.

I don't get pulling a gun over texting and popcorn, but I don't get bullying an old man, either.

Like Albq used to say " Dont Pick a Fight with an OLD Man. He will just shoot ya"

Turd_Ferguson
1/26/2014, 03:40 PM
Seems to me that Mr. Dead guy thought he'd show his wife ans child just how big of a billy bad *** he was by getting all up in Mr. Grandpa's face. Old men don't play...

okiewaker
1/26/2014, 03:45 PM
The old guy had every right to b!tch if the dead guy was texting during the movie. Tho, the dead guy didn't deserve to die because of it. Word,,,don't screw with old men with a gun,,,they will shoot you while they are drinking a cup of coffee and not think twice.

Wishboned
1/26/2014, 06:10 PM
The texter threw popcorn at the old man. If that was buttered popcorn then there was cholesterol. Cholesterol is the silent killer. The shooter was justified.

BoulderSooner79
1/26/2014, 06:10 PM
The story I read, the guys was texting during the 20 minutes of *previews* they force feed you. It wouldn't bother me a bit if someone was texting or reading email during previews. They don't even have the lights completely dimmed yet. And grandpa was an ex-cop and 270lbs - could probably decked the other guy without his gun. There is no justification here for deadly force whatsoever.

diverdog
1/26/2014, 06:29 PM
The story I read, the guys was texting during the 20 minutes of *previews* they force feed you. It wouldn't bother me a bit if someone was texting or reading email during previews. They don't even have the lights completely dimmed yet. And grandpa was an ex-cop and 270lbs - could probably decked the other guy without his gun. There is no justification here for deadly force whatsoever.

The problem is that cell phone use is completely out of hand.

Soonerjeepman
1/26/2014, 06:35 PM

I HATE to answer this, it's support the libs...but no. I took mine last winter in Ks. We had some billy bob biker guy "teaching" the class. It consisted of a few videos, a "test" that the guys read and then gave us the answers and then q/a. We then went to a farm and did the shooting part.

They did go over the fact that IF you pull your gun and shoot someone, no matter the circumstances, expect to be arrested, then released...probably sued by family of "victim"...

I'm a teacher, and shooter. I was amazed how little they did. I believe in CC but wish they'd have a stricter requirements on the "teachers" and something in line were the participants need to do a gun handling safety class. I guess they assume IF you are doing CC you know guns. Ummmm, from my class there were several folks (mainly women) that I'd say didn't know s#it about guns.

BoulderSooner79
1/26/2014, 07:02 PM
The problem is that cell phone use is completely out of hand.

So the answer is killing people? Do you realize how absurd that sounds?

yermom
1/26/2014, 10:48 PM
he wasn't killed for texting. he was killed because he got mad that he complained to the manager about texting and got in the old guy's face

it ceased to be about texting at that point

BoulderSooner79
1/26/2014, 11:04 PM
he wasn't killed for texting. he was killed because he got mad that he complained to the manager about texting and got in the old guy's face

it ceased to be about texting at that point

That's just details of how it escalated. Once a gun was pulled and used it to kill someone, it ceased to be about someone being mad or in someones face. I'm amazed that anyone would think the guy had reasonable justification given any of the information that was published. Maybe there was more to it, but that is just speculation and nothing from the many other people there supports that at this point.

yermom
1/26/2014, 11:13 PM
That's just details of how it escalated. Once a gun was pulled and used it to kill someone, it ceased to be about someone being mad or in someones face. I'm amazed that anyone would think the guy had reasonable justification given any of the information that was published. Maybe there was more to it, but that is just speculation and nothing from the many other people there supports that at this point.

the texter escalated. the details are somewhat sketchy after that.

i'm not saying it's justified. i'm just saying he was shot after getting into the old guy's face. if he had just turned off his phone after the theater management told him to as well, he wouldn't have been shot.

i'd wager that if he had just gone back to his seat and even started texting again, he wouldn't have been shot.

the shooter went to management instead of starting an altercation initially. it doesn't really sound like he wanted to shoot him initially.

how far does he have to let him go before shooting him? once he's already closed and landed a few blows? bashed his head on the sidewalk and broken his nose?

Eielson
1/27/2014, 12:22 AM
how far does he have to let him go before shooting him? once he's already closed and landed a few blows? bashed his head on the sidewalk and broken his nose?

His life needs to be in danger. Popcorn is only life-threatening if you eat it.

yermom
1/27/2014, 12:36 AM
while i generally agree, i mainly think it went beyond just texting

BoulderSooner79
1/27/2014, 02:05 AM
while i generally agree, i mainly think it went beyond just texting

Glad I don't live in your state.

KantoSooner
1/27/2014, 09:40 AM
I must say, I feel soooo much safer knowing my fellow citizens are armed to the teeth, suffering infantile inability to control rage impulses and somehow able to equate mildly boorish behavior with a threat to life and limb.

Not that it's a solution, but two things need to happen:

1. Put Grandpa away for a 20 year sentence or so, in the general pop of a max security prison in South Florida. And make sure the other prisoners know he's a cop. Let nature take its course.
2. Take up a collection to hire the most vicious tort attorney in creation for the widow and then take the azzhole's family for every nickel they have. Garnish future wages. Go downtown.

OU68
1/27/2014, 01:58 PM
And some people think it's a good idea for folks to use a cell phone on an airplane flight?

TAFBSooner
1/27/2014, 01:58 PM
I must say, I feel soooo much safer knowing my fellow citizens are armed to the teeth, suffering infantile inability to control rage impulses and somehow able to equate mildly boorish behavior with a threat to life and limb.

Not that it's a solution, but two things need to happen:

1. Put Grandpa away for a 20 year sentence or so, in the general pop of a max security prison in South Florida. And make sure the other prisoners know he's a cop. Let nature take its course.
2. Take up a collection to hire the most vicious tort attorney in creation for the widow and then take the azzhole's family for every nickel they have. Garnish future wages. Go downtown.

(I'm pro gun rights, but not to the point of stand-your-ground as implemented and practiced in Florida.) I've always heard "An armed society is a polite society," but not here. Would Mr. Ex-Cop have felt comfortable acting as self-appointed cell phone monitor if he wasn't carrying?

Will self-appointed cell phone monitors become as bad as self-appointed fast lane speed limit monitors?

okie52
1/27/2014, 03:03 PM
(I'm pro gun rights, but not to the point of stand-your-ground as implemented and practiced in Florida.) I've always heard "An armed society is a polite society," but not here. Would Mr. Ex-Cop have felt comfortable acting as self-appointed cell phone monitor if he wasn't carrying?

Will self-appointed cell phone monitors become as bad as self-appointed fast lane speed limit monitors?

Anyone that impedes traffic in the left lane should be shot...or at the very least, license to drive should be suspended for at least 10 years.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/27/2014, 03:18 PM
i'm sure people have been killed for less

but the headlines don't really tell the story

the shooter complains to management, the texter confronts the shooter.

so the somewhat elderly man feels threatened and shoots him

the guy wasn't exactly just minding his own business and got shot. who knows what he was saying or how he was posturing when he got in his face

i hadn't read that. There seems to be a case of self defense if true. Lamestream media ALWAYS has an angle and agenda. The recent mall shooting proves the point. I left for Abu Dhabi, it was on all the TVs everywhere...now you don't hear the story as it doesn't fit their narrative. dude uses a Biden shotgun, kills a possible GF and someone else. This is probably a domestic shooting in a mall, not a mall shooting. So it doesn't push the anti-gun agenda...

TheHumanAlphabet
1/27/2014, 03:20 PM

yep! Don't confront a person, you never know if they are armed or can kick your ***. i am becoming more and more on the retired sheriff's side. He should be no-billed.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/27/2014, 03:21 PM
Anyone that impedes traffic in the left lane should be shot...or at the very least, license to drive should be suspended for at least 10 years.
That would remove 80% of drivers and cars...

TAFBSooner
1/27/2014, 03:48 PM
That would remove 80% of drivers and cars...

I would be satisfied with the following scenario -

The SAFLSM would be required to appear in court accompanied by at least three (in order of precedence) family members, friends, or co-workers. She or he must then receive a 15-minute lecture by the judge, consisting of the phrase "IT.IS.NOT.YOUR.JOB.TO.TELL.PEEPS.HOW.TO.DRIVE," an explanation that "Peeps" is to keep the admonition to one-syllable words, and multiple variations on that theme to fill out the 15 minutes. When that is done the SAFLSM would be required to swear (or affirm) that they will not repeat their behavior, or be jailed for contempt of court until they do.

- for a first offense. But then I have been accused of being too lenient.

KantoSooner
1/27/2014, 05:27 PM
yep! Don't confront a person, you never know if they are armed or can kick your ***. i am becoming more and more on the retired sheriff's side. He should be no-billed.

He shoots a guy for messily eating popcorn and he should be no-billed?

Let's add another layer to this. How about a third party sees Retcop shoot Mr. Popcorn and blows Retcop away. I suppose he should get no-billed as well for trying to stop the shooting?

Christ on a crutch, our country's going to turn into an episode of Bonanza only Little Joe is going to be on Crack and Hoss will have an assault rifle and no sense of aim.

I know. start shootin', it'll solve something or other!

olevetonahill
1/27/2014, 05:38 PM
He shoots a guy for messily eating popcorn and he should be no-billed?

Let's add another layer to this. How about a third party sees Retcop shoot Mr. Popcorn and blows Retcop away. I suppose he should get no-billed as well for trying to stop the shooting?

Christ on a crutch, our country's going to turn into an episode of Bonanza only Little Joe is going to be on Crack and Hoss will have an assault rifle and no sense of aim.

I know. start shootin', it'll solve something or other!
I shot a Man in Reno, Just to watch him die.
Keep stirrin LOL

diverdog
1/27/2014, 06:06 PM
So the answer is killing people? Do you realize how absurd that sounds?

You know that is not what I am advocating. However there lots of rude people on cell phones and it was a matter of time before something like this happens. There is almost no good reason you should be on a cell phone in a theater. I have been to movies where some ******* is actually talking on their cell phone. I wish businesses could put in disrupters to knock out cell phones. Everyone is getting tired of the problem.

The other thing that pisses me off is when people walk into my office on their cell phones, sit at my desk, waste my time while yapping about some non important issue while I am forced to listen.

OU68
1/28/2014, 12:48 PM
OK - somebody has to say it: "Don't bring a bag of popcorn to a gun fight". There, I feel better now.

jkjsooner
1/28/2014, 01:57 PM

A couple of points. First, if the road isn't limited access then the left lane is not strictly for passing. Don't ride my a$$ when I have a left turn in 1/4 mile.

Second, if I'm passing people you may temporarily be impeded. The left lane is a passing lane not a "I should never be impeded lane." As soon as there is an opening I'll get over and let you around but I'm neither cutting people off to get over nor am I going to go 90 mph to please you. (And sometimes the guy I'm passing may speed up. If that's the case I may tap my brakes to get over behind him. I do that for your benefit so just wait a second and don't have a hissy fit.)

Now back to the real thread topic.

jkjsooner
1/28/2014, 02:05 PM
i hadn't read that. There seems to be a case of self defense if true. Lamestream media ALWAYS has an angle and agenda. The recent mall shooting proves the point. I left for Abu Dhabi, it was on all the TVs everywhere...now you don't hear the story as it doesn't fit their narrative. dude uses a Biden shotgun, kills a possible GF and someone else. This is probably a domestic shooting in a mall, not a mall shooting. So it doesn't push the anti-gun agenda...

You never got in a heated argument with someone? You think it's okay for such an argument to end in one person killing the other?

By the way, none of the witness accounts I read said that the now dead guy was threatening the older guy. This also wasn't a dark alley here. It was a theater with a bunch of people in it.

KantoSooner
1/28/2014, 02:25 PM
Here's a scenario:

Older, retired cop and 'security advisor' gets annoyed by people texting at the theatre. Afterall, it's against 'the rules'. Never mind that it's during the 30 minutes or so of crapfest that you are hostage to if you want to see a movie from a decent seat. It is annoying.

Now, a sane person would simply let it go, at least before the feature starts.

But our retired cop didn't. I suspect it's because he's a bit of a Barney Fife and has a hangup with rules being obeyed no matter what and is also increasingly frustrated with life because he's lost his position as an official enforcer and is getting on in years and never had much going for him except his ability to intimidate and is now losing that.

Add to that a touch of paranoia evidenced by his compulsion to 'carry' and you get a statistically predictable result. Two people shot, one killed over something about as terrible as farting on an escalator.

diverdog
1/28/2014, 03:13 PM
What movie was playing?

KantoSooner
1/28/2014, 03:21 PM
Boyz in the Hood

It caused America's downfall in case you don't remember.

Sooner in Tampa
1/28/2014, 04:01 PM
Here's a scenario:

Older, retired cop and 'security advisor' gets annoyed by people texting at the theatre. Afterall, it's against 'the rules'. Never mind that it's during the 30 minutes or so of crapfest that you are hostage to if you want to see a movie from a decent seat. It is annoying.

Now, a sane person would simply let it go, at least before the feature starts.

But our retired cop didn't. I suspect it's because he's a bit of a Barney Fife and has a hangup with rules being obeyed no matter what and is also increasingly frustrated with life because he's lost his position as an official enforcer and is getting on in years and never had much going for him except his ability to intimidate and is now losing that.

Add to that a touch of paranoia evidenced by his compulsion to 'carry' and you get a statistically predictable result. Two people shot, one killed over something about as terrible as farting on an escalator.

Easy on the judgemental trigger there slick...this wasn't some Barney Fife...this dude was a high respected retired Capt with lots of acccolades and a distinguished career.

Nonetheless...it is a horrible situation that nobody is really sure what happened...other than the two exchanged words about the texting his 3 y/o daughter. I mean, really? Who is texting a 3 y/o? Anyway...words were exchanged and there is some talk of popcorn and drinks being thrown on the retired cop.

The bottom line...did the guy deserve to get shot? HELL NO. Was the guy he shot the perfect saint the media is trying to potray? Me thinks not

Anyway...the bottom line to the entire situation is that people don't give a **** what the rules are...they don't pertain to them...only everyone else. It happens everyday in a ton of situations and some people are just getting sick of the high and mighties who refuse to follow ANY of the rules.

Still...a very bad deal all the way around.

Soonerjeepman
1/28/2014, 04:18 PM
not sure where my buddy heard this, but not so sure he was as respected as you say...but you live down there so you probably know. Buddy says the cop had a history of being a prick as a cop, the bully cop. Yes I respect the crap out of police, just like I do my fellow teachers...tough job. But I've also known a few cops that are cocky, arrogant and can be bullish.

Like you said, bottom line, NEITHER thing needed to happen. BUT the ex-cop has the brunt of the responsibility...he pulled the gun, over txting...geesh.

KantoSooner
1/28/2014, 04:21 PM
Highly respected? He was a retired police captain (of a small town as I understand it) who'd gotten a retirement job running security for one of the subsidiaries of a theme park. How large a sub has not been reported around here. He could have been running a massive operation...or he could have been napping at his desk between filling in time sheets on the night watch staff in a job given to him to curry favor with the local department.

The victim was texting his daughter's baby sitter, that damn anti-social scoff law.

The bottom line of the situation is that our retired cop used force that was massively disproportionate to the situation (according to each and every eye witness account reported so far). And the situation was one he created through an inability to control his temper. And then escalated by injecting deadly force that was, in itself, forbidden in the theatre by the owners. Seems to me like this one is going to be about a fifteen minute trial. And that only because there are legal formalities that must be followed.

I love me my local cops, truly I do. But that turd casts dishonor on the entire profession.

olevetonahill
1/28/2014, 04:32 PM
For any of us to form any conclusions from what little we have heard and what few Known facts are out there Is insane.
Like I said earlier
Show Proper respect to others and ignore the arseholes of the world when you can. If they wont let you ignore em, THEN blow their asses away.

Sooner in Tampa
1/29/2014, 08:39 AM
Small town? Come on Kanto...do a LITTLE bit of research before spouting stupid ****...Tampa ain't NY or LA, but it is far from a small town.

Reeves left the theater to complain to management. When he returned alone, the pair argued. Oulson threw popcorn, and deputies say Reeves shot him with a .380-caliber pistol he pulled from his pants pocket — despite a posted theater rule banning concealed weapons.

Reeves claimed self-defense, saying he was struck in the face with an unknown object. Deputies dispute that. They arrested him on a second-degree murder charge.

Reeves was born in Jacksonville but grew up in Tampa. He attended Hillsborough High School, where he got average grades and sported a classic flattop haircut.

After graduation, he joined the Navy and worked on submarines. He was honorably discharged two years later and worked a few odd jobs. In 1966, he joined the Tampa Police Department.
Reeves' supervisors thought he was good at his job, and he quickly rose up the ranks. In the mid '70s, he and a co-worker started a SWAT team. They got FBI training, gathered World War II supplies from the nearby Army Navy Surplus store and named it the "tactical response team" to differentiate it from the then-popular television show S.W.A.T.
Reeves took on the nickname of the show's main character, "Hondo."

Reeves briefly worked as one of the department's first hostage negotiators and trained at the U.S. Army's sniper school, finishing No. 2 out of 20.

And he was the security manager for all of Busch Gardens...

While none of that really matters in the big scheme of things...it goes to show that people are not really getting the entire story...that will come out at trial.

Again...just a horrible situation all the way around

KantoSooner
1/29/2014, 10:32 AM
Sorry, I thought the article had said he was chief of a suburb of Tampa.

Glad he didn't feel it necessary for his personal safety to bring his AK47 with him to the movie. Anything in the articles you've read about whether he continues to wear body armor over his daily clothing? Does he conduct 'ops' around his neighborhood late at night? Has he been known to move down the block from tree to tree to make it harder for the snipers?

olevetonahill
1/29/2014, 10:35 AM

Glad he didn't feel it necessary for his personal safety to bring his AK47 with him to the movie. Anything in the articles you've read about whether he continues to wear body armor over his daily clothing? Does he conduct 'ops' around his neighborhood late at night? Has he been known to move down the block from tree to tree to make it harder for the snipers?

Keep bedowngrading the ex cop, I can tell you've never been assaulted with Popcorn have ya? Get a Salty kernel in the eye and then say you wouldnt shoot the POS that attacked you.

Sooner in Tampa
1/29/2014, 11:00 AM

Cute, Mr. Embelisher...very cute...you are a laugh a minute

FaninAma
1/29/2014, 11:41 AM
Cute, Mr. Embelisher...very cute...you are a laugh a minute

LOL. When the Kanto strawman machine gets cranked up it is best to just let him continue until he gets tired.

KantoSooner
1/29/2014, 12:15 PM
Okay, what's not at issue here is that a guy shot another guy in a theatre where weapons were not to be carried by order of the property owner. Okay so far? Embellished?
Not one eye witness has been reported to have seen any threat or assault by the dead guy that would justify the shooting as self defense. Still good?
Nor was the dead guy threatening anyone else (which would have justfied the shooting as defense of another.) Still with me?

So, we have an unprovoked shooting (let's call it what is legally: murder. Maybe not first degree, but murder nonetheless) resulting in death.

On the one hand, I'm outraged that some dip**** felt compelled to start shooting. Others take the pose of 'waiting for all the evidence to come in'. If the above is already known, what evidence are we awaiting?

Let's unpack this folks: I'm not trying to take his gun away. I own guns, too. This isn't about gun control, so you don't need to be defensive. It's about azzwipes who feel compelled to take their guns to inappropriate places and then have so little control over themselves that they take them out and shoot other people.

I guess if you have no outrage over that then I really don't understand your thinking.

Sooner in Tampa
1/29/2014, 01:01 PM
So, we have an unprovoked shooting (let's call it what is legally: murder. Maybe not first degree, but murder nonetheless) resulting in death.

On the one hand, I'm outraged that some dip**** felt compelled to start shooting. Others take the pose of 'waiting for all the evidence to come in'. If the above is already known, what evidence are we awaiting?

It's about azzwipes who feel compelled to take their guns to inappropriate places and then have so little control over themselves that they take them out and shoot other people.

I guess if you have no outrage over that then I really don't understand your thinking.

OK...1st things 1st: Should the ex-cop have had a weapon at the movies? No, but after Colorado...I am not overly outraged that he had it on him. I am pissed that he shot another ********* for no good reason...even if the guy punched him, he didn't deserve to be shot.

Provoked? No one is sure of that...The statements I have read about the eyewitness accounts are that they are not sure how it escalated nor are they sure how the popcorn ended up in the equation...so provocation is questionable...there are "RUMORS" that the dude punched the ex-cop...not confirmed though.

I can't get all outraged and foam at the mouth about this situation because of two things: The dead guy was obviously an *******...he continued to text at the movies (against the rules and a basic violation of decent decorum) even after the ex-cop asked him to stop...he even went to managers about and the dude kept texting, and there is still the possibility that the dead guy punched the ex-cop in the face.

Either way, the dude didn't deserve to get shot, but I am not going be outraged by it. The way I see it...there were two *******s peacocking...I am saddened by it...the way I am saddened by many in things that take place in our society today. A little common decorum and decency by everyone for their fellow man would go a long way.

SoonerProphet
1/29/2014, 01:51 PM
Flat top, "Hondo"' tactical response team...sounds like the dude kept some **** in his closet.

olevetonahill
1/29/2014, 02:39 PM
Let some one 30 years younger than me Bow up in my face and act aggressive. I will invite em to sit down and have Tea with me while we discuss things in a rational manner.
Like hell, Id prolly blow the punk away also.

KantoSooner
1/29/2014, 02:42 PM
OK...1st things 1st: Should the ex-cop have had a weapon at the movies? No, but after Colorado...I am not overly outraged that he had it on him. I am pissed that he shot another ********* for no good reason...even if the guy punched him, he didn't deserve to be shot.

Provoked? No one is sure of that...The statements I have read about the eyewitness accounts are that they are not sure how it escalated nor are they sure how the popcorn ended up in the equation...so provocation is questionable...there are "RUMORS" that the dude punched the ex-cop...not confirmed though.

I can't get all outraged and foam at the mouth about this situation because of two things: The dead guy was obviously an *******...he continued to text at the movies (against the rules and a basic violation of decent decorum) even after the ex-cop asked him to stop...he even went to managers about and the dude kept texting, and there is still the possibility that the dead guy punched the ex-cop in the face.

Either way, the dude didn't deserve to get shot, but I am not going be outraged by it. The way I see it...there were two *******s peacocking...I am saddened by it...the way I am saddened by many in things that take place in our society today. A little common decorum and decency by everyone for their fellow man would go a long way.

Yes, it would. The decorum that is. Still, this wasn't texting during a movie, it was texting during the endless ads before the movie. Somehow shooting someone and texting where you probably shouldn't have seem so many orders of magnatude apart that they are really pretty impossible to put on the same spectrum.

Punching? If so, then the four eyewitnesses whose interviews I heard all failed to mention it. It would seem a pretty important detail for all of them to omit it.

There's simply no way to elevate texting at a movie into a capital offense.

I am also curious about another interview taken with a young woman who apparently had a similar run in with 'Hondo' a few days before during which he became enraged at her texting, but thankfully didn't shoot her. I'm wondering if he was armed then. If not and he returned to the scene of that earlier altercation, only this time armed, well, any decent prosecutor could use that to construct premeditation and intent and 'Hondo' could easily be headed for an up close and personal with Ole Sparky.

olevetonahill
1/29/2014, 02:50 PM
Yes, it would. The decorum that is. Still, this wasn't texting during a movie, it was texting during the endless ads before the movie. Somehow shooting someone and texting where you probably shouldn't have seem so many orders of magnatude apart that they are really pretty impossible to put on the same spectrum.

Punching? If so, then the four eyewitnesses whose interviews I heard all failed to mention it. It would seem a pretty important detail for all of them to omit it.

There's simply no way to elevate texting at a movie into a capital offense.

I am also curious about another interview taken with a young woman who apparently had a similar run in with 'Hondo' a few days before during which he became enraged at her texting, but thankfully didn't shoot her. I'm wondering if he was armed then. If not and he returned to the scene of that earlier altercation, only this time armed, well, any decent prosecutor could use that to construct premeditation and intent and 'Hondo' could easily be headed for an up close and personal with Ole Sparky.

Sparky done been retired for over 40 years.

KantoSooner
1/29/2014, 03:30 PM
Really? I thought they toasted up that dentist serial killer guy 15-20 years ago. Radio DJ's were asking locals to shut off unnecessary lights so he'd get a a full dose.

8timechamps
1/29/2014, 03:37 PM
The dead dude shouldnt been texting and the Old dude shoulda kept his trap shut.
People need to show a Little common courtesy and Others need to learn to Mind their own ****in Business

THIS would really solve a lot of issues.

Not sure why some folks think it is their business to be in yours. Then again, why a guy 30 years younger would bow up on an old man is pretty bad too.

8timechamps
1/29/2014, 03:40 PM
Really? I thought they toasted up that dentist serial killer guy 15-20 years ago. Radio DJ's were asking locals to shut off unnecessary lights so he'd get a a full dose.

Could be "coming soon" (see what I did there?!). Apparently, states are having trouble procuring the chemicals used for lethal injection, and are considering going back to some of the old fashioned methods.

EatLeadCommie
1/29/2014, 03:54 PM
I initially thought that this guy should've exercised more discipline precisely because he was trained as a cop. Now, the more I think about it , the more I think him being a cop made the shooting more likely. He was a cop in the days before tazers and bean bag shotguns. If you messed with a cop in the 60s and 70s, you either got the crap beaten out of you or shot.

olevetonahill
1/29/2014, 03:55 PM

They used in Fla. I was talking Here.

Yea they Crispy crittered a dude down there in 99 i think was the last one. Had one dude catch fire er some **** and another started bleedin everywhere

yermom
1/29/2014, 03:56 PM

that's pretty much what i said about the Zimmerman thing. bad things happen when two *******s run into each other.

EatLeadCommie
1/29/2014, 04:00 PM

It's about azzwipes who feel compelled to take their guns to inappropriate places and then have so little control over themselves that they take them out and shoot other people.

The shooting was unnecessary, but it's possible that his status as an ex cop allows him to carry anywhere. Not sure what the laws of Florida are.

OU68
1/29/2014, 04:04 PM
In Oklahoma you can post "no guns" - but unless it's a government building, school, bar, sports stadium - if you are "discovered" all they can ask you to do is leave, doesn't make you a criminal.

Skysooner
2/7/2014, 01:33 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/07/justice/florida-movie-theater-shooting/

Sounds like he knew he screwed up. Telling the wife to shut up was just to protect his case.

olevetonahill
2/7/2014, 02:01 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/07/justice/florida-movie-theater-shooting/

Sounds like he knew he screwed up. Telling the wife to shut up was just to protect his case.

He has the RIGHT to remain silent and ask his Old lady to do the same.
ANYTHING you say after a deal like this can and Will be twisted to make you look worse. See your reaction for a reference!

Skysooner
2/7/2014, 02:08 PM
He has the RIGHT to remain silent and ask his Old lady to do the same.
ANYTHING you say after a deal like this can and Will be twisted to make you look worse. See your reaction for a reference!

Of course he can keep it silent. Just saying with all of that his case is a mess.

Turd_Ferguson
2/7/2014, 02:31 PM
Of course he can keep it silent. Just saying with all of that his case is a mess.

His case is a mess because he chose to remain silent and told his wife to do the same until he lawyers up?

olevetonahill
2/7/2014, 02:35 PM

His case is a mess because he chose to remain silent and told his wife to do the same until he lawyers up?

Perzackery Bro

What the hell is wrong with with trying to Protect yourself?

Skysooner
2/7/2014, 03:53 PM
Perzackery Bro

What the hell is wrong with with trying to Protect yourself?

Lots of eyewitnesses in close proximity including former military and law enforcement. He is hosed. As he should be since as a trained police officer, he should have known better.

There is another case in Florida now where some guy is claiming stand your ground and he shot into a car of kids 8 or 9 times. The argument was over loud music, and he felt "threatened" since they supposedly pulled a gun that the police were unable to find. He is hosed too.

olevetonahill
2/7/2014, 03:58 PM
Lots of eyewitnesses in close proximity including former military and law enforcement. He is hosed. As he should be since as a trained police officer, he should have known better.

There is another case in Florida now where some guy is claiming stand your ground and he shot into a car of kids 8 or 9 times. The argument was over loud music, and he felt "threatened" since they supposedly pulled a gun that the police were unable to find. He is hosed too.

Dint say he wernt, Im just saying It perfectly Logical to try and cover yerass when ya can

read about that dude that shot into the Car. Think hes already convicted, Not sure tho.

olevetonahill
2/7/2014, 04:06 PM
My bad, Trial just gettin started

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/michael-dunn-trial-begins-explosive-opening-statem/ndGkX/

Skysooner
2/7/2014, 04:23 PM
Dint say he wernt, Im just saying It perfectly Logical to try and cover yerass when ya can

read about that dude that shot into the Car. Think hes already convicted, Not sure tho.

I'm all for him trying to beat it if he can. That's the legal system, and it is one of the things that makes the country great. I just don't think he has much of a chance. You may be right about that other case. Just saw it on the side as a related story.

C&CDean
2/7/2014, 05:16 PM
If this keeps a few *******s from texting/talking during a flick then I'm down with it. "johnnie didn't die in vain. the next time some stupid kid thinks about texting in the movie he'll think of johnnie"...

olevetonahill
2/7/2014, 06:07 PM
I'm all for him trying to beat it if he can. That's the legal system, and it is one of the things that makes the country great. I just don't think he has much of a chance. You may be right about that other case. Just saw it on the side as a related story.

That other Trial is just gettin started.
When the Cops May get involved its best to just STFU and get a Lawyer. No one Likes em until they need one.

Sooner in Tampa
2/8/2014, 08:44 AM
Watch the tape recording from the movie house...the shooter is sitting down and the guy climbs over his seat, grabs the shooters popcorn throws it in his face and then the shooter says he throws something else at him...the guy is 71 yrs old...I have reason to believe that the 71 y/o shoot thought he may get his *** whipped...

olevetonahill
2/8/2014, 09:00 AM
Watch the tape recording from the movie house...the shooter is sitting down and the guy climbs over his seat, grabs the shooters popcorn throws it in his face and then the shooter says he throws something else at him...the guy is 71 yrs old...I have reason to believe that the 71 y/o shoot thought he may get his *** whipped...

yep. Yet the Judge decided a No-Bail on the shooter.
Sounds like 2 hot headed MFers shoulda found different seats. to me.