PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Tykes . . .

Jacie
1/25/2014, 05:08 PM
. . . a train wreck masquerading as a reality series.

This show will set participation by kids in youth sports back a hundred years.

It seems they recruited every bad role model they could find and appointed them to coach a youth (8-9 year olds) team.

Belichek doesn't scream as much as these guys.

One coach instructed a player on his defense to jump offside on the first play and knock the center down to set the tone of the game.

Another trying to inspire his boys said, "There should be no reason why ya'€™ll don'™t make other teams cry! I could care less if they cry!"

And like any other train wreck, I just have to watch.

bluedogok
1/25/2014, 05:40 PM
That's "lack of" reality television for you......

SoonerDomiNation
1/25/2014, 06:19 PM
Yeah I seen that on but didn't watch.

oupride
1/25/2014, 06:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dserbRwSTSc
Disclaimer: No animals were harmed in the making of this film.

stoopified
1/25/2014, 07:06 PM
Borderline shild abuse.% minutes was all I could handle of that crap.I got a lot of that treatment when I played football but I was 15+ years old, not 8-9.When I was 8-9 my coaches were teaching me football not trying to turn me into the next Jack Taum(boy does that reference give away my age).

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/25/2014, 07:48 PM
That is TYFA football down here is Texas. They are also playing spring seasons and weekend tournaments. So, we basically have year round kid football coached by the least qualified yahoos.

The apocalypse is upon us!

8timechamps
1/25/2014, 09:38 PM

Wow.

PrideMom
1/27/2014, 11:46 AM
Stupid mother. I guess she has never heard of concussions. You can't fix STUPID!

KantoSooner
1/27/2014, 12:22 PM
We had a posse of guys from Nebraska coaching my peewee team. They had some strange things they'd do like make linemen eat dirt if you blew an assignment. They'd literally come up with a handfull of dirt, demand that you open your mouth and have you chew it up and swallow.
At first I thought they were crazy and that some adult should step in. Slowly, though, I came to realize that they were just from Nebraska and that that sort of thing was normal there.

freshchris05
1/27/2014, 12:48 PM

Was that an attempt at humor?

8timechamps
1/27/2014, 06:48 PM
We had a posse of guys from Nebraska coaching my peewee team. They had some strange things they'd do like make linemen eat dirt if you blew an assignment. They'd literally come up with a handfull of dirt, demand that you open your mouth and have you chew it up and swallow.
At first I thought they were crazy and that some adult should step in. Slowly, though, I came to realize that they were just from Nebraska and that that sort of thing was normal there.

I've witnessed a lot of "strange" (read: stupid) coaching behavior at the youth level. Most of it worthless.

bluedogok
1/27/2014, 06:59 PM
I've witnessed a lot of "strange" (read: stupid) coaching behavior at the youth level. Most of it worthless.
My wife noticed that when she was officiating youth football in Austin 12-16 years ago.

birddog
1/27/2014, 07:15 PM
Most of those kids won't last through junior high. At that age kids need to learn fundamentals and not "ripping their heads off". Maybe they only hit for 5 mins out of an hr.5 practice. I'm sure they've edited out stretching and getting prepped to practice because that's not good tv, but teaching kids to lower their heads when tackling sets bad habits and will get some of those kids seriously injured. Oh well, whatever's best for the lil ones is best for the parents.

Breadburner
1/27/2014, 08:39 PM
Way to young for contact football.....

jkjsooner
1/28/2014, 02:49 PM
Way to young for contact football.....

I disagree with this. Young kids are much less likely to get seriously injured than older kids. Think about playing tackle pick-up games when you were 10 and then when you were 17. Kids don't hit as hard. They pop right back up when they fall. Their joints are more flexible and their bones are less hard.

8timechamps
1/28/2014, 06:44 PM
I disagree with this. Young kids are much less likely to get seriously injured than older kids. Think about playing tackle pick-up games when you were 10 and then when you were 17. Kids don't hit as hard. They pop right back up when they fall. Their joints are more flexible and their bones are less hard.

From an orthopedic standpoint, you're probably correct. From a concussion standpoint, I think the risk is much higher.

Breadburner
1/28/2014, 08:42 PM
He missed my point.....