PDA

View Full Version : Richard Sherman

8timechamps
1/24/2014, 08:58 PM
I know this is a Sooner Football board, but let's face it, there isn't much going on right now. So, I thought I would bring this topic here and start a discussion.

First, I am a Denver resident and die-hard Bronco fan (although I love my Sooners MUCH more). So, I am looking at this from the view point of the "competition", and my opinion is probably jaded a bit.

That said, I can't stand the guy. It's not just because of his comments after the NFC Championship game, it goes back to the start of his NFL career. I realize he's a very smart kid, and may very well be the best corner in the game. Still, I can't stand his circus show antics, and his need to belittle other players/people in order to lift himself up. I truly believe his play alone would be enough to earn respect bay many.

I also don't mind trash-talk on the field. I know lots of folks don't like it, but I'm not one of them. I don't think it's "needed" or an important part of the game, but I do think it brings a little attitude (especially to a defense). So, it's not really his on-field behavior that bothers me, it's all of the carry over. I also hate that he has made this a racial thing (with his comments about people interchanging the word "thug" with the N word).

The best thing that happened to this guy was Trent Williams right hook. Apparently he didn't learn anything from that though.

Breadburner
1/24/2014, 09:15 PM
Shooting Star....!!

Curly Bill
1/24/2014, 11:28 PM
Richard Sherman bothers me a lot less than the cheap shot Welker put on Talib does.

...and don't bother telling me what the NFL ruled on the play, or what you think you saw. In my eyes it was, is, and will always be, a cheap shot. And no, I'm not even a Patriots fan.

BoulderSooner79
1/24/2014, 11:28 PM
As a Stanford Alum, I was disappointed in his rants as not fitting my view of "winning with class". Given the reputation of the school, I would hope someone that played there would hold themselves to higher standards. But I also realize it's just my view that I'm projecting onto someone else. The fact that they shoved a mic in front of him right after the conclusion of a tough game causes me to give him some slack. Also, given the follow-up interviews, it seems he does care about how this was perceived and perhaps he'll tone it down in the future.

The bottom line is that it's been blown out of proportions and maybe he's just a jerk. There are many jerks in the NFL and there always will be. I'm also a Donkey, er, Bronco fan, so I just hope Manning does the right thing and treats him as any other shutdown corner. Tread lightly, but take a play if it's there.

JLEW1818
1/25/2014, 12:14 AM
Wish more players acted like him.

BoulderSooner79
1/25/2014, 12:37 AM

There aren't enough camera or microphones to go around.

instigator
1/25/2014, 12:40 AM
He planned that whole thing but I really like the guy. Maybe it's just because he put Skip Bayless in his place. :)

Eielson
1/25/2014, 01:13 AM
Richard Sherman is not that smart. He's pretty average. Yes, he went to Stanford, but they made exceptions for him since he plays football. Check his SAT scores. They're WAY below Stanford's standards for a regular student.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/25/2014, 01:35 AM
Richard Sherman is not that smart. He's pretty average. Yes, he went to Stanford, but they made exceptions for him since he plays football. Check his SAT scores. They're WAY below Stanford's standards for a regular student.

Also a scholar – he had a 4.5 grade point average and scored 1,200 on his SAT — Sherman earned a scholarship to Stanford, where he switched positions from offense to defense his junior year. He was a fifth round pick of the Seahawks in 2011 draft.

Pretty decent

* SATs of football players 2008. Not sure when Sherman entered Stanford.

Stanford: 1176
UCLA: 990
Cal: 984
Ore: 969
Wash: 963
USC: 955
Ariz: 948
Ariz St: 937
Ore St: 928
Wash St: 920

SoonerDomiNation
1/25/2014, 09:37 AM
I heard on radio show he graduated with a 3 9.... pretty impressive to me. Now I don't know I'd he got speacial treatment or not but nether the less pretty impressive.

bluedogok
1/25/2014, 10:27 AM
Even though I think he is a punk on the field, off the field he seems like he could be a decent guy. He was a salutatorian of his high school class.

oupride
1/25/2014, 10:45 AM
He graduated Stanford with 3.9? Sounds like a clever guy.

Therealsouthsider
1/25/2014, 11:06 AM
....mom taught me that it's the @ss that brays....these things tend to work themselves out

....Go Denver!

ss

DarrellZero
1/25/2014, 11:12 AM
I grew up idolizing Jack Nicklaus and hating Muhammad Ali.

Still feel the same way: if you're good, people will notice, you don't need to tell them.

KantoSooner
1/25/2014, 11:25 AM
Yep, Darrell, I"m still waiting for Ken Norton to land that one clean upper cut and lift Ali over the top rope. Damn I wanted that to happen.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/25/2014, 12:56 PM

That depends on how you define "smart". Is he a rocket surgeon? No. However, if you read some of his written pieces, you'll see that he has a flare for it.

Sherman reflects his college coach (Harbaugh). Both of those guys wear their emotions on their sleeve.

picasso
1/25/2014, 01:00 PM
I liked his apology for taking away the moment from his mates.
Not for embarrassing himself amd being a poor sport.

And I like Ali but he was terrible the Joe Frazier. The guy who loaned him money when he wasn't allowed to fight.

Eielson
1/25/2014, 03:06 PM
Pretty decent

* SATs of football players 2008. Not sure when Sherman entered Stanford.

Stanford: 1176
UCLA: 990
Cal: 984
Ore: 969
Wash: 963
USC: 955
Ariz: 948
Ariz St: 937
Ore St: 928
Wash St: 920

He got a 990 on his SAT, and then got a 1060 on the retake. Very average.

Eielson
1/25/2014, 03:13 PM
That depends on how you define "smart". Is he a rocket surgeon? No. However, if you read some of his written pieces, you'll see that he has a flare for it.

Sherman reflects his college coach (Harbaugh). Both of those guys wear their emotions on their sleeve.

I like his written pieces, but I'm not sure how much of it he actually writes. He has somebody editing the pieces at the very least. He's not a dummy by any means, I'm just not convinced he's too far beyond average.

Turd_Ferguson
1/25/2014, 03:19 PM
Why do you hate thugs?

kevpks
1/25/2014, 05:37 PM
As a Rams fan, I hate him. If he played for the Rams, I'd love him. He's great for his team and he hasn't done anything criminal off the field.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/25/2014, 06:26 PM

Perhaps you just have something against him because graduating from Stanford with his GPA (if the 3.9 number is accurate) makes him pretty damn smart. I don't personally put as much weight into the SAT, a four hour test, compared to 4 years at Stanford.

On SportsCenter this morning they said that 30 second rant has landed him more than a half million in endorsements already. He admits it's a calculated shtick. Perhaps no so dumb after all.

I like his written pieces, but I'm not sure how much of it he actually writes. He has somebody editing the pieces at the very least. He's not a dummy by any means, I'm just not convinced he's too far beyond average.

Who doesn't have their articles checked over? They have people who have the job of editor for a reason. The fact that you simply can't believe a communications graduate from Stanford couldn't possibly put enough coherent sentences in a row to write his own articles is more concerning than anything.

8timechamps
1/25/2014, 06:39 PM
Richard Sherman bothers me a lot less than the cheap shot Welker put on Talib does.

...and don't bother telling me what the NFL ruled on the play, or what you think you saw. In my eyes it was, is, and will always be, a cheap shot. And no, I'm not even a Patriots fan.

You need to have your eyes checked.

8timechamps
1/25/2014, 06:41 PM
What does his intelligence have to do with anything? That's great, he's a smart kid that took full advantage of his opportunities. I'm sure there are plenty of smart people in the world that are *******s.

8timechamps
1/25/2014, 06:41 PM

Sure you do.

The first time someone acts like an *** to an OU player/after an OU loss, you'll be the first one on here bitching.

8timechamps
1/25/2014, 06:43 PM
Just in case anyone missed it, here's how former Sooner Trent Williams reacted to Sherman's game-long trash talk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl4ViIwy7KA

NorthernIowaSooner
1/25/2014, 07:44 PM
What does his intelligence have to do with anything? That's great, he's a smart kid that took full advantage of his opportunities. I'm sure there are plenty of smart people in the world that are *******s.

The post I referred to were questioning his intelligence and that was out of line and context of the conversation. He may be an a-hole, that is up to individual opinion, but questioning his intelligence is about as classy as his post game remarks and Trent Williams punching him.

BoulderSooner79
1/25/2014, 08:01 PM
The post I referred to were questioning his intelligence and that was out of line and context of the conversation. He may be an a-hole, that is up to individual opinion, but questioning his intelligence is about as classy as his post game remarks and Trent Williams punching him.

^this. When I said I was disappointed as a fellow Stanford alum, I wasn't talking about intelligence. I assume Sherman is bright; I would just hope for more class. Just as I hope for classy behavior from OUr ex-players too. And I have no issue with showing passion and I don't see passion and class as being mutually exclusive. But as you say, it's all in the eye of the beholder. And it's definitely overblown and this would barely be a story during the regular season when 32 teams are in action. But with only 2 teams left and 2 weeks to fill, this is what happens. Maybe it's a good thing because it takes time away from all those "what's Manning's legacy if he wins/doesn't win" stories. I hate that crap.

8timechamps
1/25/2014, 09:34 PM

I agree, that's why I made the comment in my original post (that I know he's a smart kid).

And yeah, the Trent Williams incident wasn't a proud moment for him, but I can certainly understand what his motive was. I'd rather a guy do it that way, than to take a cheap shot in the game. Shepard asked Williams what he was going to do, Williams told him and Shepard said "then do it". That's about as classy as a thrown punch can get.

70sooner
1/25/2014, 11:05 PM
as a long time Donks fan, I could GAS about Sherman. PM just needs to play his game and let his receivers play theirs and everything will be just fine. I think Seattle has more to worry about on offense than does Denver.

nighttrain12
1/25/2014, 11:13 PM

Curly 'Bill'? As in Bill Belichick? What an honor you are posting on this message board! :)

Eielson
1/25/2014, 11:53 PM
Perhaps you just have something against him because graduating from Stanford with his GPA (if the 3.9 number is accurate) makes him pretty damn smart. I don't personally put as much weight into the SAT, a four hour test, compared to 4 years at Stanford.

Why would I dislike him for being smart? I'd love for him to be really smart. He's just not, and I don't like the phony stories the media is putting out there. He majored in communications, so his 3.9 GPA isn't a great way to measure his intelligence. He certainly would have had to work for it, but I'm not questioning his work ethic. He's worked incredibly hard and taken advantage of all his opportunities (such as...getting a great education from a great school despite not having the academic merit to deserve even being accepted), and THAT's an encouraging story to put out there. The idea that he has above average intelligence is bogus, though.

Who doesn't have their articles checked over? They have people who have the job of editor for a reason. The fact that you simply can't believe a communications graduate from Stanford couldn't possibly put enough coherent sentences in a row to write his own articles is more concerning than anything.

I'm not saying that having an editor completely discredits your writing ability. They can clean up badly constructed sentences, though, and I said that he AT LEAST has that. He may well just be approving articles that somebody else wrote. If he has a good enough editor, they could even clean something like this up:

To all You *******s complaining,

If you dint like it live in another dorm next year then because tradition is tradition and If your Homosexual don't celebrate the holidayy if its that big of a deal but im tired of yall complaining about a couple of hours of sleep yall are some *******s. Stop bitching and ****in adapt I wake up that early everyday and I aint complaining so you guys really need to just shut the **** up. Everyone else had fun so **** the people who are complaining

Richard Sherman

NorthernIowaSooner
1/26/2014, 12:56 AM
Discounting his intelligence for getting a 3.9 in communications dumps your credibility.

He also returned for his final year of eligibility to start on his master's. Although I'm guessing that doesn't show his intelligence either.

I don't think you're dislike of him has anything to do with his education or who he is as a person.

Eielson
1/26/2014, 01:57 AM
I've heard reports that Vince Young had a GPA as high as 3.7, and multiple sources say he had at least a 3.0. He also graduated from Texas, which is a fairly prestigious university. GPA is too easily manipulated for me to put too much stock in it. ACT/SAT and Wonderlic scores are much better indicators of intelligence, and Sherman is fairly average in that regard.

My dislike for Sherman stems from his interview on First Take. You've all probably seen it, so I'm not going to summarize it, but it's hard to get behind somebody who tells people on national TV that he is better at life than them. He also managed to do two more things I can't stand in the same interview by telling Bayless he was going to "crush him" (it's an argument, not a fight or any other kind of meaningful competition) and saying he was a good person because he does some community service.

If you're trying to infer in your last sentence that I dislike him because he's black, then shame on you.

Scott D
1/26/2014, 02:39 AM
Let's be fair, everyone is better at life than Skip Bayless, so it's not that outrageous of a statement.

I like Richard Sherman, and why are you people silently giving Crabtree a free pass? That guy has been a bitch since his days at Tech.

fadada1
1/26/2014, 09:24 AM
Lose with class; win with class. It's apparent he can't win with class, and my guess is he doesn't do well after a loss.

NorthernIowaSooner
1/26/2014, 09:42 AM
I've heard reports that Vince Young had a GPA as high as 3.7, and multiple sources say he had at least a 3.0. He also graduated from Texas, which is a fairly prestigious university. GPA is too easily manipulated for me to put too much stock in it. ACT/SAT and Wonderlic scores are much better indicators of intelligence, and Sherman is fairly average in that regard.

My dislike for Sherman stems from his interview on First Take. You've all probably seen it, so I'm not going to summarize it, but it's hard to get behind somebody who tells people on national TV that he is better at life than them. He also managed to do two more things I can't stand in the same interview by telling Bayless he was going to "crush him" (it's an argument, not a fight or any other kind of meaningful competition) and saying he was a good person because he does some community service.

If you're trying to infer in your last sentence that I dislike him because he's black, then shame on you.

If the shoe fits. You've gone a long way trying to discredit him with no apparent motive. Education level and being an a-hole have nothing to do with each other. Not liking his personality is one thing but saying he's not smart and implying he couldn't get through Stanford legitimately (with no evidence to back that up) based on three interviews and an SAT score is an embarrassing argument.

He's smart man whether you can accept that or not and attempting to discount his Stanford education only brings your motives into question.

Eielson
1/26/2014, 11:09 AM
I heard NorthernIowaSooner is a communist.

freshchris05
1/26/2014, 01:35 PM
http://jordanheardwhat.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/because-i-spit-hot-fire-o.gif

FIVE GREATEST CORNERBACKS OF ALL TIME; SHERMAN, SHERMAN, SHERMAN, SHERMAN, SHERMAN!

8timechamps
1/26/2014, 09:55 PM
Let's be fair, everyone is better at life than Skip Bayless, so it's not that outrageous of a statement.

I like Richard Sherman, and why are you people silently giving Crabtree a free pass? That guy has been a bitch since his days at Tech.

In fairness and full disclosure, I cannot stand Crabtree. I just don't hear him, so it's easier to ignore him.

After thinking about this some more, I think my issue with Sherman is that he is such a good player, and he does seem like a genuinely good guy outside of football. So, the trash talk is such a turn-off for me. WHY be that way? He has nothing to prove to anyone, yet he can't keep his yap shut.

bluedogok
1/26/2014, 10:18 PM
After thinking about this some more, I think my issue with Sherman is that he is such a good player, and he does seem like a genuinely good guy outside of football. So, the trash talk is such a turn-off for me. WHY be that way? He has nothing to prove to anyone, yet he can't keep his yap shut.
I agree, like one article I read about this latest incident he seems like a new version of Bosworth. Quiet off the field but completely different on it.

jkjsooner
1/27/2014, 09:26 AM
If the shoe fits. You've gone a long way trying to discredit him with no apparent motive. Education level and being an a-hole have nothing to do with each other. Not liking his personality is one thing but saying he's not smart and implying he couldn't get through Stanford legitimately (with no evidence to back that up) based on three interviews and an SAT score is an embarrassing argument.

He's smart man whether you can accept that or not and attempting to discount his Stanford education only brings your motives into question.

I'm going to defend Eielson here. People constantly point to Sherman's education to defend him which makes questioning his intellectual credentials relevant.

If you believe the self reported scores that Scout provided, Sherman's SAT scores put him at below average even at a major public university. His best SAT scores puts him in the 25th percentile at OU although that might be a little biased considering that only a (possibly select) subset of OU students take the SAT. In either case, translating ACT to SAT shows that his scores are below average even for OU.

The fact is that Sherman would never get into Stanford on his test scores. That is also true for the average Stanford football player. Just like at OU, Stanford lowers the bar significantly for athletes. That bar is still a lot higher than at most D1 schools but we're not talking kids who are intellectual phenoms playing football for Stanford. (I'm sure there are a few.)

Sherman did choose Stanford so I presume he had interests in academics which is a lot better than the majority of D1 players. He also did graduate with a great GPA although the word on schools like Stanford has always been that getting in is the toughest part and Sherman did choose one of the default programs for athletes.

Anyway, the point is that Sherman defenders are the ones who bring up the academics and once they do that I think questioning it becomes relevant.

BoulderSooner79
1/27/2014, 10:43 AM
I'm going to defend Eielson here. People constantly point to Sherman's education to defend him which makes questioning his intellectual credentials relevant.

I'm the one that brought up where he went to school. And as I posted at least 2 times, I'm disappointed in Sherman's behavior only because I went there and would hope to see him exhibit more class. Just as I like to see classy behavior from guys that attended OU. Stanford has a reputation as a classy school and they look at more than just grades when you apply. I said nothing about Sherman's intelligence, nor did I defend him in any way. It was Eielson that assumed I was talking about brain power and took the thread down that rat hole.

PrideMom
1/27/2014, 11:27 AM
Similar to Bosworth. When he was with Seattle, he went into Denver with Hate Bosworth tee shirts, and gave all of the profits to charity.

BoulderSooner79
1/27/2014, 11:41 AM
Similar to Bosworth. When he was with Seattle, he went into Denver with Hate Bosworth tee shirts, and gave all of the profits to charity.

So is Sherman doing something similar? All I've read is that he has padded his bank account with endorsements with his recent fame. Giving some to charity would be great. BTW, I was no Bosworth fan. His antics in the NFL seemed harmless enough, but his behavior at OU hurt the program and he was even dismissed from the team. As 8time posted, one would really hope that players this talented would raise the bar and assume positive leadership positions.

freshchris05
1/27/2014, 12:41 PM
You guys sound like a bunch of jealous women. He's an arrogant *********, Yes. But he did choose a better life for himself than he was dealt. On top of that "Average" intelligence is pretty good when your job is to share concussions for others enjoyment. Others meaning the guy behind this keyboard and everyone else reading. Give it a break. If you can't stand him don't talk about him.

bluedogok
1/27/2014, 01:38 PM
You guys sound like a bunch of jealous women. He's an arrogant *********, Yes. But he did choose a better life for himself than he was dealt. On top of that "Average" intelligence is pretty good when your job is to share concussions for others enjoyment. Others meaning the guy behind this keyboard and everyone else reading. Give it a break. If you can't stand him don't talk about him.
Shoot...any more "average intelligence" is upper tier in comparison to most of the population.

Eielson
1/27/2014, 01:43 PM
It was Eielson that assumed I was talking about brain power and took the thread down that rat hole.

I wasn't responding to your post.

birddog
1/27/2014, 04:26 PM
Don't care either way what he does. But anyone who can take a shot to the chops like Williams gave him deserves some kind of respect.

8timechamps
1/27/2014, 06:46 PM

Please.

The dangers of football are well documented, and those that participate do so knowing full well what the risks are, and the pro's are compensated handsomely for that. This is a message board, the point of message boards to are have discussions ("talk").

I'm always curious why people come on to message boards and advise people not to talk about a subject.

BoulderSooner79
1/27/2014, 07:58 PM
... If you can't stand him don't talk about him.

How 'bout if we have a man crush on him like JLEW - then can we talk about him?

SoonerMarkVA
1/27/2014, 08:32 PM
So is Sherman doing something similar? All I've read is that he has padded his bank account with endorsements with his recent fame. Giving some to charity would be great. BTW, I was no Bosworth fan. His antics in the NFL seemed harmless enough, but his behavior at OU hurt the program and he was even dismissed from the team. As 8time posted, one would really hope that players this talented would raise the bar and assume positive leadership positions.

Actually, he's very active with giving to the community. Here are some examples:

Softball event (http://lennywilkensfoundation.org/news_richardsherman_celebritysoftball.html) to raise money for Helping a Hero (http://www.helpingahero.org).

Blanket Coverage (http://www.facebook.com/ShermanBlanketCoverage) is his charitable foundation. One of the things he does that I think is really cool is, he has kids enter into contracts with him. They pledge to be good citizens, maintain grades, and other positive aspects in exchange for the help he provides through the foundation. So, he's not just signing checks and disappearing; he's following up and making the kids he helps accountable.

Here's something he did last Christmas through Blanket Coverage. The guy is personally involved, which speaks to his personal commitment to what the foundation is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcoCQZ_ct9s

I'm not just some fan of his, or the Seahawks. I really don't follow the NFL, so I really didn't know much about him until his last rant. I can't say I care for the ranting and taunting, but when I looked up more about him I found out off the field he seems like a really good guy. I think the Bosworth comparison is pretty good.

freshchris05
1/27/2014, 09:49 PM
Please.

The dangers of football are well documented, and those that participate do so knowing full well what the risks are, and the pro's are compensated handsomely for that. This is a message board, the point of message boards to are have discussions ("talk").

I'm always curious why people come on to message boards and advise people not to talk about a subject.

My point has nothing to do with the health risks of football. I'm just saying "average" is pretty good for football players. Be honest. The game has changed, "student athlete" means nothing in big time college football. Very few geniuses out there.

Talk makes these people famous. Unlike Miley, this guy is good at his craft. Although I think her 'craft' is being an attention whore so I guess point Cyrus.

Scott D
1/27/2014, 11:56 PM
In fairness and full disclosure, I cannot stand Crabtree. I just don't hear him, so it's easier to ignore him.

But it's not like he's the only player to ever talk a mile a minute during the entire course of a game. Nor is he the only very good player to do so. Lawrence Taylor yapped virtually nonstop, we all know the kind of motormouth Terrell Owens and Michael Irvin were.

I don't know, maybe I guess I just don't care for it when it seems like it's bad that there are people who have personality that helps counteract the extremely bland way the NFL tries to make personalities. The NFL would be really effing boring if everyone acted like Peyton Manning while on the field.

Eielson
1/28/2014, 12:49 AM
But it's not like he's the only player to ever talk a mile a minute during the entire course of a game. Nor is he the only very good player to do so. Lawrence Taylor yapped virtually nonstop, we all know the kind of motormouth Terrell Owens and Michael Irvin were.

I don't know, maybe I guess I just don't care for it when it seems like it's bad that there are people who have personality that helps counteract the extremely bland way the NFL tries to make personalities. The NFL would be really effing boring if everyone acted like Peyton Manning while on the field.

Don't make me start posting SNL skits!

jkjsooner
1/28/2014, 11:49 AM
My point has nothing to do with the health risks of football. I'm just saying "average" is pretty good for football players. Be honest. The game has changed, "student athlete" means nothing in big time college football. Very few geniuses out there.

I never said anything to the contrary. He is much smarter than most football players. Clearly Stanford doesn't have kids who read at the third grade level as at OU and UNC.

I just get sick of hearing about how smart these Stanford football players are which is used to defend them when they misbehave. Power to Sherman for taking the opportunity given to him and going to a great school.

Aries
1/28/2014, 01:52 PM
He was mean in front of Erin Andrews. He is dead to me.

:)

picasso
1/28/2014, 02:22 PM
So he basically apologized and said you shouldn't have to put others down to make yourself look great.
You shouldn't have to talk about yourself to do so either.

BoulderSooner79
1/28/2014, 02:32 PM
I just get sick of hearing about how smart these Stanford football players are which is used to defend them when they misbehave.

I sure didn't see that in this thread. The only positive comment I saw was JLEW wanting to see more players like him and someone else saying he would like Sherman if he was on his team, otherwise he would hate him.

jkjsooner
1/28/2014, 02:42 PM
I sure didn't see that in this thread. The only positive comment I saw was JLEW wanting to see more players like him and someone else saying he would like Sherman if he was on his team, otherwise he would hate him.

Some of it is a pet peeve of mine. Announcers see Stanford on the kid's jersey and they assume he's brilliant. We all know that the average Stanford football player is smarter than the average State U player but it's all relative. (You and I had this same discussion on an older thread about Barry J. Sanders.)

Now you want to talk Ivy League then you've got a different story. They don't give athletic scholarships and in general aren't in the business of big time college football. (Stanford is whether they admit it or not.) I'm sure if a Harvard coach wants a kid that will give him a leg up to the admissions staff but I'd bet it's more in line with other talents that the admission staff takes into consideration. (And as you've said the more prestigious schools look at a lot more than GPA and test scores.)

All that said, I do respect Stanford's ability to be very competitive considering they really do have to limit themselves to kids who truly belong in college. All things equal I'll root for Stanford for that reason.

nighttrain12
1/28/2014, 06:32 PM
He was mean in front of Erin Andrews. He is dead to me.

:)

LOL, best post so far in this thread. You know guys, there is a football game being played this Sunday called the Super Bowl. WGAS what somebody said in a post game interview more than a week ago.

8timechamps
1/28/2014, 06:35 PM

Talk makes these people famous. Unlike Miley, this guy is good at his craft. Although I think her 'craft' is being an attention whore so I guess point Cyrus.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the change in the game, and the meaning of "student-athlete" not being what it once was. I can also understand when professional players feel like they need to "talk" to gain popularity (I don't think I would do that, but I can understand the motive). However, some guys simply don't need any fabricated attention, because their play says plenty. You almost never see "elite" guys talk themselves up. Which is why it's such a turn-off from Sherman. The guy is at the top of his profession, that's should do all of his talking.

As I said in my original post, I'm not even talking about his post-49er rant. I think that was perpetuated by FOX. You stick a microphone in a guys face seconds after an emotional play, you're going to get raw emotion. With Sherman though, it's a trend. One that he doesn't need.

8timechamps
1/28/2014, 06:42 PM

Good points Scotty. I can only say that I was just as "turned-off" by LT, TO, Chad Johnson and Ray Lewis as I am Sherman. Exactly because they could have let their play do all their talking.

I LOVE trash talk. What I don't like is when it leaves the field. Remember Bill Romonowski? He was on the Bronco Super Bowl Champion team in '98, and I really liked him when he first came to Denver. He was a notorious trash talker when he was with the Raiders. Then, after a Chargers game, he was being interviewed and started going off on one of the Charger linemen not being able to hold his jock. Almost immediately, I lost respect for the guy. Why belittle other players to make yourself look good when you're already at the top of your game?

I get the interest in personalities, and I get the need for it. I just don't get the bad mouthing other players over and over. It just seems like a pitiful attempt to boast one's self, and that's not needed for most of those guys.

I realize that Sherman isn't alone in his actions. There are plenty of guys that do it, and in the vein of consistency, I don't like them either.

Scott D
1/28/2014, 06:55 PM
There's more to the Sherman/Crabtree dynamic than just that game, and I'll leave it at that.

8timechamps
1/28/2014, 07:35 PM
There's more to the Sherman/Crabtree dynamic than just that game, and I'll leave it at that.

I know. I also know that the 49er/Seahawk games have become a heated rivalry.

Like I said earlier, I have no love for Crabtree. In fact, I dislike him far more than Sherman.

birddog
1/28/2014, 09:47 PM
It reallly bothers some people that guys talk trash? I think it's really entertaining which is why I watch football, period. I don't like Sherman because of what he says, but it is fun to hear. Hardly anyone does it anymore. Ive heard the standard replies from players so many times so when someone steps out of line it's gonna get people talking. The super bowl will be a lot more entertaining now because of him. He'll be under a massive microscope. I'm all for a good storyline. Call me crazy

jkjsooner
1/29/2014, 10:54 AM
It reallly bothers some people that guys talk trash? I think it's really entertaining which is why I watch football, period.

Maybe someday you'll learn to like the actual game too. If not, then maybe you should move on to professional wrassin'.

birddog
1/29/2014, 11:48 AM
Yeah you're right I should prolly give up my season tickets after 15 years because Sherman talks.

70sooner
1/29/2014, 01:43 PM
Good points Scotty. I can only say that I was just as "turned-off" by LT, TO, Chad Johnson and Ray Lewis as I am Sherman. Exactly because they could have let their play do all their talking.

I LOVE trash talk. What I don't like is when it leaves the field. Remember Bill Romonowski? He was on the Bronco Super Bowl Champion team in '98, and I really liked him when he first came to Denver. He was a notorious trash talker when he was with the Raiders. Then, after a Chargers game, he was being interviewed and started going off on one of the Charger linemen not being able to hold his jock. Almost immediately, I lost respect for the guy. Why belittle other players to make yourself look good when you're already at the top of your game?

I get the interest in personalities, and I get the need for it. I just don't get the bad mouthing other players over and over. It just seems like a pitiful attempt to boast one's self, and that's not needed for most of those guys.

I realize that Sherman isn't alone in his actions. There are plenty of guys that do it, and in the vein of consistency, I don't like them either.

Romo was roided up, so there's his excuse....

BoulderSooner79
1/29/2014, 02:07 PM
Maybe someday you'll learn to like the actual game too. If not, then maybe you should move on to professional wrassin'.

Yeah you're right I should prolly give up my season tickets after 15 years because Sherman talks.

Oooh - SF.com trash talk. Well let me tell you guys I'm the best on the board. When you try me with your sorry stuff like this here, this is the result you are going to get. Don't you ever talk about me.

(Do I get an interview with Erin Andrews now? Pretty please?)

jkjsooner
1/29/2014, 02:51 PM

You said trash talking is why you watch football. You even ended it with "period". I didn't write those words for you.

Your.choice of words is what elicited my response.

8timechamps
1/29/2014, 03:10 PM
Romo was roided up, so there's his excuse....

True.

rock on sooner
1/29/2014, 03:16 PM

Like I said earlier, I have no love for Crabtree. In fact, I dislike him far more than Sherman.

Don't be too hard on Crabtree...just remember what he did to the Whorns!

Scott D
1/29/2014, 03:22 PM

Not sure if that's most of the dynamic, but a certain primadonna wr that wears #15 in the pros was known to talk some stuff during the offseason.

Maybe I don't share this "anti-trash talk" viewpoint, because I used to talk trash constantly during games no matter the sport. If you can get inside the opponent's head and throw them off their game then more power to you. How many times have we heard cliches about how certain aspects of certain sports are 90% mental. Why shouldn't trash talk apply? Even moreso when you're able to not only talk the talk, but go out and back up your talk.

Criminey, people even talk trash in Cricket and Curling. It doesn't make them bad people, just people who play bad sports. :)

Eielson
1/29/2014, 04:08 PM
The only time I've seen trash talk be effective was when somebody was talking trash to a better player and baited them into a fight that got both players ejected.

8timechamps
1/29/2014, 04:16 PM
Not sure if that's most of the dynamic, but a certain primadonna wr that wears #15 in the pros was known to talk some stuff during the offseason.

Maybe I don't share this "anti-trash talk" viewpoint, because I used to talk trash constantly during games no matter the sport. If you can get inside the opponent's head and throw them off their game then more power to you. How many times have we heard cliches about how certain aspects of certain sports are 90% mental. Why shouldn't trash talk apply? Even moreso when you're able to not only talk the talk, but go out and back up your talk.

Criminey, people even talk trash in Cricket and Curling. It doesn't make them bad people, just people who play bad sports. :)

That's the rub, I really DO like trash talk (especially in football). I don't even hate the occasional "look at me" moments. I just hate to see guys do it off the field when they don't "need" to do it.

I was never a trash talker as a player, in fact, I was always very quiet. My boys are exactly like me. However, I've played with some big time trash talkers, and there may have been a time or two that it motivated me a little.

Scott D
1/29/2014, 04:51 PM
The only time I've seen trash talk be effective was when somebody was talking trash to a better player and baited them into a fight that got both players ejected.

Yet Michael Jordan was considered a major trash talker, so was Larry Bird.

Scott D
1/29/2014, 04:53 PM
That's the rub, I really DO like trash talk (especially in football). I don't even hate the occasional "look at me" moments. I just hate to see guys do it off the field when they don't "need" to do it.

I was never a trash talker as a player, in fact, I was always very quiet. My boys are exactly like me. However, I've played with some big time trash talkers, and there may have been a time or two that it motivated me a little.

Then that's on the media for who they choose to interview right after a game. We're all in agreement that if they'd interviewed Russell Wilson right after that he would have been the "image" that the general populace would want.

8timechamps
1/29/2014, 06:21 PM
Then that's on the media for who they choose to interview right after a game. We're all in agreement that if they'd interviewed Russell Wilson right after that he would have been the "image" that the general populace would want.

My stance has softened on Sherman in the past couple of days, but I still would rather see him keep his trash talk on the field.

There is a big race component to this too. I don't completely buy into people interchanging "Thug" with the N-word, but you'd have to be blind to not see that Sherman is viewed much differently than a white player would be (had he done the same thing). As a white man, I must admit it's tough, because I don't let race play a role in my opinion, but I feel like speaking out against Sherman's actions can be viewed as putting a racial slant on the issue. I can understand that point too. Maybe that's why I'm drawn to this discussion...because there is much more to Sherman/the issue than just the post 49er game rant.

Eielson
1/29/2014, 09:03 PM
Yet Michael Jordan was considered a major trash talker, so was Larry Bird.

Yeah, but Lebron and KD don't. Correlation vs. causation.

Scott D
1/29/2014, 11:04 PM
Yeah, but Lebron and KD don't. Correlation vs. causation.

That you know of.

Eielson
1/29/2014, 11:44 PM
That you know of.

Or Kobe.

They don’t seem to want to talk any trash,’ Kobe shrugged. ‘I say everything to LeBron. He says nothing back. He just laughs. There’s no banter back and forth. I guess it’s a generational thing. When I first came into the league, the trash talk was downright cutthroat.

birddog
1/30/2014, 12:30 AM
You said trash talking is why you watch football. You even ended it with "period". I didn't write those words for you.

Your.choice of words is what elicited my response.

No. My point is that I like ke to go to sooner games for entertainment but I don't mind a good storyline making it's way into the superbowl to give us something to focus on

sooneron
1/30/2014, 11:40 AM
I think part of the issue here is difference in communication. A good deal of the hip hop culture is about bragging. Let's face it, there is a high degree of "look at what I got (Stacks of bills, chains, Bentleys), "that other rapper aint ****" sort of talk. After the game, Compton Sherman didn't snap back to what us white people would rather see, which is Stanford Sherman. When that happens, you get a lot of boasting and trash talking. This is not say that anglos don't trash talk, they usually don't air what is said or keep it going for the mic. The take away is, Sherman is very childish and probably insecure in his need to constantly brag on himself and take others down. Against Bayless, he may have been right, but he came off like a dumb kid that started in on the "Oh yeah, well, you're a loser". Pretty weak to me.

Ton Loc
1/30/2014, 12:14 PM
I think part of the issue here is difference in communication. A good deal of the hip hop culture is about bragging. Let's face it, there is a high degree of "look at what I got (Stacks of bills, chains, Bentleys), "that other rapper aint ****" sort of talk. After the game, Compton Sherman didn't snap back to what us white people would rather see, which is Stanford Sherman. When that happens, you get a lot of boasting and trash talking. This is not say that anglos don't trash talk, they usually don't air what is said or keep it going for the mic. The take away is, Sherman is very childish and probably insecure in his need to constantly brag on himself and take others down. Against Bayless, he may have been right, but he came off like a dumb kid that started in on the "Oh yeah, well, you're a loser". Pretty weak to me.

Or Richard Sherman knows exactly what he's doing. Playing the media and weak willed people who care a little too much about sports into a frenzy.

I'd like to say I can't believe that people have such strong opinions on something that has no effect on their lives. Football and other sports just provide a nice little distraction from real life. Sadly, we get stuck with Skip Bayless, ESPN, other retarded media, and silly message board conversations once someone assigns any more importance than that.

sooneron
1/30/2014, 12:53 PM
Or Richard Sherman knows exactly what he's doing. Playing the media and weak willed people who care a little too much about sports into a frenzy.

I'd like to say I can't believe that people have such strong opinions on something that has no effect on their lives. Football and other sports just provide a nice little distraction from real life. Sadly, we get stuck with Skip Bayless, ESPN, other retarded media, and silly message board conversations once someone assigns any more importance than that.
You can say that it's a bad thing, but it did bring to attention the way some people use the word thug. They do use it in exchange for ******, since that is not viewed as acceptable. Sports are a microcosm of society.

yermom
1/30/2014, 01:08 PM
i don't buy that

as far as i know, thug isn't very race specific.

when i first saw the Sherman thing, it seemed very out of place, but rewatching it and catching everything he said it wasn't that bad. he just seemed worked up instead of out of line. at first listen it sounded like he was ready to fight someone, but he was really just excited and gloating over shutting down Crabtree on that last play

he loses me on the thug/N-word thing. the "N-word" thing is dumb anyway. how many words are we going to have to start naming by the first letter? that's the R-word.

Soonerjeepman
1/30/2014, 01:14 PM
i don't buy that

when i first saw the Sherman thing, it seemed very out of place, but rewatching it and catching everything he said it wasn't that bad. he just seemed worked up instead of out of line. at first listen it sounded like he was ready to fight someone, but he was really just excited and gloating over shutting down Crabtree on that last play

he loses me on the thug/N-word thing. the "N-word" thing is dumb anyway. how many words are we going to have to start naming by the first letter? that's the R-word.

we can't use the R-word in school anymore...to describe student who are mentally challenged..

sooneron
1/30/2014, 01:23 PM
i don't buy that

I believe it has become more race specific than it was. I could post a pic of Incognito and Sherman both in sweats and show it to some people ( who may not know who they are) and ask them which one is the thug. Which one do you think they'd choose (if they weren't on camera)? Dreadlocked black dude will win out more often than not . And I am a person that has said Incognito is a thug and Sherman acted like one.

picasso
1/30/2014, 01:53 PM
What was out of line was running Crabtree down right after the play and trying to shake his hand.
He was showing him up and you know it.

Weak.

swardboy
1/30/2014, 02:30 PM
I resent Sherman trying to change my lexicon/thesaurus/dictionary. "Thug" meant those bullies in "A Christmas Story" to me.

But now all news reporting will carry the race connotation because Sir Barksalot decrees it so.

Must be hell to live in a world where you're too insecure to let your actions speak for you.

yermom
1/30/2014, 02:59 PM
What was out of line was running Crabtree down right after the play and trying to shake his hand.
He was showing him up and you know it.

Weak.

meh, probably. i'm not saying he's a saint, but i didn't think it was that bad

stoops the eternal pimp
1/30/2014, 04:05 PM

me neither..I've seen, heard, and been a part of much worse on a baseball field, basketball court, and a football field... never thought anything of it.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/30/2014, 04:13 PM
We were playing aTm Kingsville my junior season and I was coming off of the bench..I come in and the dude guarding me dropped about 5 feet from me and said "He can't hit it."..So I knock it down...3 trips this guy does it until his coach calls TO.. While walking to the bench, I go over to him and said, " You should have asked your mom.. She knows I can hit it.".. He pushes me, chaos ensues, he gets booted, we win by 6.

I have never thought I was being a thug or a punk..Any athlete that has succeeded at any level has an ego..and if someone goes trying to low sell your skill set, you go after them..

8timechamps
1/30/2014, 06:29 PM

Who's to say what's "important" to any other person? I would also be careful assuming that because a subject is being discussed on a message board, it's "important".

You dismiss sports as a distraction to "real life". Take a look around, sports are a major component to this country (hell, any country). Adults and kids alike are affected/influenced by sports. It's a multi-billion dollar industry. Again, because you don't deem it worthy of a strong opinion doesn't mean others can't/shouldn't.

8timechamps
1/30/2014, 06:31 PM
We were playing aTm Kingsville my junior season and I was coming off of the bench..I come in and the dude guarding me dropped about 5 feet from me and said "He can't hit it."..So I knock it down...3 trips this guy does it until his coach calls TO.. While walking to the bench, I go over to him and said, " You should have asked your mom.. She knows I can hit it.".. He pushes me, chaos ensues, he gets booted, we win by 6.

I have never thought I was being a thug or a punk..Any athlete that has succeeded at any level has an ego..and if someone goes trying to low sell your skill set, you go after them..

I agree with that. I'll add that you shouldn't degrade another player to lift yourself up. That's kind of a life skill/carry over.

picasso
1/30/2014, 06:39 PM

After doing the choke and probably jawing back and forth he then pulled that while the game was still going and in front of God and everybody?
I've played a ton of pickup basketball with guys like that.
I know how weak it is.

Scott D
1/30/2014, 09:12 PM
I never knew saying "hell of a game man, hell of a game" was such a bad thing to say to the opponent at the end of a game.

sooneron
1/30/2014, 09:30 PM
And yet, the game wasn't over. We'll never know if he was being classy or a dick. I lean towards him being a dick about it with a **** eating grin. Especially since he and Crabtree have bad blood between them. Makes NO sense otherwise for him to be "sporting" about it.

8timechamps
1/30/2014, 09:59 PM
I never knew saying "hell of a game man, hell of a game" was such a bad thing to say to the opponent at the end of a game.

I really didn't have a problem with that, but I do think it's a stretch to think he was being genuine.

Of course he had to talk a little bit today, saying that Peyton Manning throws a lot of lame ducks. I thought that was a little funny, because it is true. But, Manning got the last laugh. In his response, he said something along the lines of "I've thrown for a lot of yardage and touchdowns with those lame ducks".

Not that I needed it, but I'm even more excited for the Super Bowl.

Eielson
1/30/2014, 10:35 PM

Sherman got the exact response he was looking for. He even waited around for it.

In the end, I don't really care about that incident. I've seen far worse, and probably wouldn't even care if I hadn't. The arguments for the people defending him are silly, though.

Scott D
1/30/2014, 10:40 PM
The game was over, even if the clock didn't say it was.

I'm not so much defending him as I'm defending his right to talk.

Ton Loc
2/2/2014, 06:40 PM
Who's to say what's "important" to any other person? I would also be careful assuming that because a subject is being discussed on a message board, it's "important".

You dismiss sports as a distraction to "real life". Take a look around, sports are a major component to this country (hell, any country). Adults and kids alike are affected/influenced by sports. It's a multi-billion dollar industry. Again, because you don't deem it worthy of a strong opinion doesn't mean others can't/shouldn't.

In regards to things that are important to society (sports, celebrities, gossip, etc) and what should be important (family, education, health, etc) it is very easy to say professional sports are but a small distraction.

But on a sports message board, its fine discussion.

nighttrain12
2/2/2014, 09:43 PM
https://twitter.com/Calebtheprophet/status/430167737822752769

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfhDRz8CIAAwuCu.jpg:large

8timechamps
2/3/2014, 12:23 AM
https://twitter.com/Calebtheprophet/status/430167737822752769

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfhDRz8CIAAwuCu.jpg:large

Hated to see him go down. Don't get me wrong, I was thoroughly disappointed most of the night, but if anyone deserved being on the field as the clock hit 0:00, it was Sherman.

swardboy
2/3/2014, 02:03 PM
I don't know how to feel about the man. He was effusive in his praise of Manning being a great quarterback who had a bad night. And he was especially thankful for Manning seeking him out after the game to check on his injury.

Maybe Crabtree just brings out the worst in a human being.

Curly Bill
2/3/2014, 07:00 PM
I know people that hang with Crabtree occasionally. The word I got is, and this was a year or two ago, is that he can be pretty insufferable.

BoulderSooner79
2/3/2014, 07:10 PM
I know people that hang with Crabtree occasionally. The word I got is, and this was a year or two ago, is that he can be pretty insufferable.

He was a contract hold-out his rookie year. Sometimes those things are justified, but with rookie contracts and scale being fairly standard, it often mean the player is an egotist.