PDA

View Full Version : Mixon having 2nd thoughts?

Soonerjeepman
1/24/2014, 11:22 AM
keeping communication open with ucla and cal...

8time...

saw the blip on ouinsider..but I don't pay. I honestly doubt it, probably a little bait to get you to pay...but what's your thoughts?

I honestly just lightly follow recruiting because in the end nothing matters til the first snap of football season. Kids commit don't sign, sign don't come, come don't last...lol

Widescreen
1/24/2014, 12:17 PM
I would think it would be a little embarrassing for him to change his mind at this point given all the stuff he's been saying since the all-star game and all the recruiting he's done for OU. But who knows.

Soonerjeepman
1/24/2014, 01:50 PM
agree, just more curious than anything...if there is *no merit AT ALL then, to me, it's pretty crappy ploy by ouinsiders to get members... 8time seems to be in the know.

*not saying there is any merit to it.

stoopified
1/24/2014, 03:22 PM
This could be something as simple as Mixon answering the phone when coaches from UCLA and USC call.In any case I have lived through way too many recruiting seasons to get all workedup about what any single player decides to do,before he has actually become a Sooner. I tend to get upset if a player becomes a Sooner and is part of the team ,is contributing and then quits (Newell). OU is bigger than any one player and would survive not signing Mixon,that said I hope he honors his word and becomes a Sooner.

Just as I was ending this post I thought of three other qyitters who who shoose not to honor their word and earned my ire,these guys I dubbed the Trampoline Three afte they bounced: Mayfield,Reynolds , and James. Those never played at OU but bailed on their LOI's and James went to UT which really cahpped me. Assuming nothing like that happens,I'm good.

Boomer.....
1/24/2014, 05:00 PM
He sounds like a solid commit.

Soonerjeepman
1/24/2014, 05:23 PM
This could be something as simple as Mixon answering the phone when coaches from UCLA and USC call.In any case I have lived through way too many recruiting seasons to get all workedup about what any single player decides to do,before he has actually become a Sooner. I tend to get upset if a player becomes a Sooner and is part of the team ,is contributing and then quits (Newell). OU is bigger than any one player and would survive not signing Mixon,that said I hope he honors his word and becomes a Sooner.

Just as I was ending this post I thought of three other qyitters who who shoose not to honor their word and earned my ire,these guys I dubbed the Trampoline Three afte they bounced: Mayfield,Reynolds , and James. Those never played at OU but bailed on their LOI's and James went to UT which really cahpped me. Assuming nothing like that happens,I'm good.

not even close to that...like I said, more curious than anything. Yup the program is much bigger than any recruit and honestly even if they signed and bailed nothing I can do, nor can anyone else. Coaching kids that come from similar backgrounds educationally and financially they tend to be a little more "in the moment" type of kid. Heck even my own son who is trying to play baseball got told by a juco he could have a really successful college career pitching and he immediately had ksu, OU and wsu on his "short list"...lol. Kid is being looked at by naia, d2 one or two d1 jucos....some kids it goes to their head real quick.

8timechamps
1/24/2014, 09:02 PM
There was a rumor going around that Mixon was talking to UCLA and planning to visit. Then, earlier this week, he posted a message on Twitter that said (paraphrasing) "I don't know where these rumors get started, but I'm going to OU, my recruiting is over and I'm 100% a Sooner".

So, no, he's not talking with UCLA or anyone else. He's a Sooner.

Mixon was OU's first choice at RB, but Nathan Starks was #2. As soon as Mixon committed to OU, Starks committed to UCLA (literally within an hour). Any chance of Mixon ending up at UCLA died the day he committed, and both guys ended up where they probably wanted to be (I know Mixon wanted to be a Sooner, and while Starks did too, I think he had UCLA as 1b on his list).

Soonerjeepman
1/25/2014, 12:21 AM
cool.....crappy way for ouinsider to drum up business......not that I'd ever pay for early info...that's just crazy

BoulderSooner79
1/25/2014, 12:39 AM
So, no, he's not talking with UCLA or anyone else. He's a Sooner.

An 8x assurance - we're DOOMED!

cherokeebrewer
1/25/2014, 08:49 AM
Mixon's twitter tweet

"Can Everyone Stop With The Rumors Saying I'm Going To UCLA On The 30th. I'm Committed To OU and There is Nothing gunna change That #thanks"

oupride
1/25/2014, 10:42 AM
Mixon's twitter tweet

"Can Everyone Stop With The Rumors Saying I'm Going To UCLA On The 30th. I'm Committed To OU and There is Nothing gunna change That #thanks"
Thanks for the post.

Widescreen
1/25/2014, 12:19 PM
Mixon's twitter tweet

That just means he's not going on the 30th. He'll probably go on the 31st. WHY DOES OUR RECRUITING SUCK SO BAD?!?!?

Scott D
1/26/2014, 02:47 AM

This is part of the whole "coach recruiting players" rather than program recruiting players. Kelvin bounced, Kelvin recruited them, the school chose to let them go their way. I was and still would be more upset at Kelvin than any of those 3 kids....but it's not like we lost NBA stars by any means.

yermom
1/26/2014, 09:57 AM
except that i think all three of them were in the tournament that year while we stayed home. still a little bitter on that one myself

Eielson
1/26/2014, 11:25 AM
This is part of the whole "coach recruiting players" rather than program recruiting players. Kelvin bounced, Kelvin recruited them, the school chose to let them go their way. I was and still would be more upset at Kelvin than any of those 3 kids....but it's not like we lost NBA stars by any means.

As cool as having people like KD, Beasley, Xavier, etc. is, I'd almost prefer guys like Damion James and Scottie Reynolds. They're not as good, but we get 4 years out of them instead of just 1. If I remember right, none of those guys got past the Sweet 16, but Reynolds led his team to the Final Four. Of course, their leaving after 1 year opened up another scholarship, so you would have to compare their 1 year plus the three years of their last recruit to be fair.

okiewaker
1/26/2014, 12:38 PM
From what I've read on his twitter feed, he is definitely committed to being a Sooner. In one pic he is already doing the upside down whorn. Could change, but I'm pretty confident we get him.

@Joe_MainMixon: OU Fans I hope Y'all Ready Fir The Takeover! Hope Y'all Riding With us On this Journey To Success! #LetsGetit

okiewaker
1/26/2014, 12:48 PM
@Joe_MainMixon: I'm Going to The Top With OU #JustWaitonIt #Boomer http://t.co/kUOYyFZD1J

Just more stuff from his twitter feed from Friday. He appears geeked and ready to be a Sooner.

oupride
1/26/2014, 06:44 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1922928-oklahoma-football-odds-5-star-rb-joe-mixon-starts-his-freshman-season
Is this the pic? Taken at the Army All American Bowl?

okiewaker
1/26/2014, 09:20 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1922928-oklahoma-football-odds-5-star-rb-joe-mixon-starts-his-freshman-season
Is this the pic? Taken at the Army All American Bowl?

No,,he has a pic taken on friday with the whorn sign down. I don't know how to post it.

Scott D
1/27/2014, 11:49 PM
As cool as having people like KD, Beasley, Xavier, etc. is, I'd almost prefer guys like Damion James and Scottie Reynolds. They're not as good, but we get 4 years out of them instead of just 1. If I remember right, none of those guys got past the Sweet 16, but Reynolds led his team to the Final Four. Of course, their leaving after 1 year opened up another scholarship, so you would have to compare their 1 year plus the three years of their last recruit to be fair.

Not quite sure what your point there was. I'm a staunch advocate of how the 1 and done makes both college hoops and the NBA a joke.

Eielson
1/28/2014, 04:42 PM
Not quite sure what your point there was. I'm a staunch advocate of how the 1 and done makes both college hoops and the NBA a joke.

NBA stars are usually one and dones.