PDA

View Full Version : Twitter Blake Bell Report

KantoSooner
1/22/2014, 01:53 PM
I was on SI this morning briefly and saw a twitter post by some guy who said Blake Bell was moving to TE. It was not reported as breaking news, more as just part of moving the chess pieces around the board.

Is this one more piece of twitter garbage? Or has someone heard something verifiable. I know there's speculation that it might happen, but I've certainly heard nothing from any reliable source.

Boomer.....
1/22/2014, 02:23 PM
There's been talk about him switching.

SoonerMarkVA
1/22/2014, 02:28 PM
Only if he could continue to be backup QB, with Thompson now transferring.

badger
1/22/2014, 02:34 PM
I was on SI this morning briefly and saw a twitter post by some guy who said Blake Bell was moving to TE. It was not reported as breaking news, more as just part of moving the chess pieces around the board

It could be twitter garbage. Has Bell ever caught a pass in a trick play? He did lead us to victory over Poke in Stilly, so there's still tons of QB potential in him. But if he can catch, then by all means put him at TE. I kind of miss "Touchdown tight end!" at OU :(

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2014, 02:43 PM
He practiced at TE a bit a couple of springs ago..

stoopified
1/22/2014, 02:50 PM
I could see it.I saw several of his hs games on tv and he played WR for two years.Iwould assume this move would only be made if the coaches have confidence in Cody Thomas as backup.

rock on sooner
1/22/2014, 03:38 PM
Only if he could continue to be backup QB, with Thompson now transferring.

Thompson transferring? I hadn't that...where to?

rock on sooner
1/22/2014, 03:42 PM
Thompson transferring? I hadn't that...where to?

nm...

KantoSooner
1/22/2014, 05:35 PM
Thanks, If you guys have heard nothing 'official' it means it was just some fool tweeting. Sorry for the false alarm but I thought I'd missed something.

8timechamps
1/22/2014, 06:51 PM
I checked my super secret source, and the reply I got was: "No".

Take it for what it's worth.

birddog
1/22/2014, 07:07 PM
I think he's perfect still to bring in for certain situations. Bell is one of the most well respected players we have and I can see him having a massive impact for us. I'm happy he's sticking it out there. I think he'll be rewarded for his loyalty and ability.

8timechamps
1/22/2014, 07:13 PM
I think he's perfect still to bring in for certain situations. Bell is one of the most well respected players we have and I can see him having a massive impact for us. I'm happy he's sticking it out there. I think he'll be rewarded for his loyalty and ability.

Agreed.

Soonerjeepman
1/22/2014, 08:35 PM

did ya have to double dog dare them? lol...just got a kick out of your "super secret source"

rock on sooner
1/22/2014, 08:43 PM
Welp, think about this....BB at tight end and a tight end around on one play...
you know, 250 # bearing down on a corner or even a strong safety...and a
quarter later, a tight end around who pulls up and hits Shepard 25 yards downfield.
Im jus sayin....

8timechamps
1/22/2014, 08:56 PM
did ya have to double dog dare them? lol...just got a kick out of your "super secret source"

Triple dog dare!

Interestingly, I got a very quick response to my question. Not typical. Maybe it's just the time of year.

Eielson
1/22/2014, 11:00 PM
If Bell wants to play in the NFL, that's probably his best bet.

BoulderSooner79
1/22/2014, 11:20 PM
If Bell wants to play in the NFL, that's probably his best bet.

That's what I was thinking. Unless Bell has a huge upside at QB that we haven't seen, he has no NFL future there. I'm not sure it would be at TE either; didn't his father and uncle play defense? Maybe he has those genes.

kevpks
1/23/2014, 12:50 AM
After what I saw against OSU, I would love for Bell to stay at QB. However, I see nothing wrong with letting him try to switch positions if it could get him more playing time. I think Bell could switch to TE and still be an emergency QB. Give Thomas (or Hansen if he doesn't RS) the mop up duty. If there were an injury to Knight they could always move Bell back to QB. That worked out pretty well for ENA.

IamJacksScreenName
1/23/2014, 09:16 AM
it's 100% true that Blake has been asked to move to TE.. what i don't know for sure is if there is a scenario that he would move back to QB if Knight happened to get injured, kinda like Paul Thompson did when Bomar got the boot.

Moore
1/23/2014, 11:51 AM
Bell just said he's transferring to virginia tech

badger
1/23/2014, 11:52 AM
Bell just said he's transferring to virginia tech

you need to try harder :mad:

cvsooner
1/23/2014, 01:50 PM
Where did Bell say this?

badger
1/23/2014, 01:55 PM
Where did Bell say this?

exactly. if you're going to make something up, at least say that he'll go someplace funny, like Texas A&M :rcmad:

kevpks
1/23/2014, 03:46 PM
it's 100% true that Blake has been asked to move to TE.. what i don't know for sure is if there is a scenario that he would move back to QB if Knight happened to get injured, kinda like Paul Thompson did when Bomar got the boot.

I guess it would probably depend on how much confidence the staff had in Thomas and/or Hansen.

8timechamps
1/23/2014, 03:57 PM

Where is this coming from? I have heard (twice now) that this scenario has been generated and perpetuated from the "outside", and nothing has changed.

Eielson
1/23/2014, 05:10 PM
Bell is transferring to Liberty.

rock on sooner
1/23/2014, 05:12 PM

Missouri or Virginia?

KantoSooner
1/23/2014, 05:17 PM
Christian.

swardboy
1/23/2014, 05:20 PM
No, Baptist.

Eielson
1/23/2014, 05:28 PM
I think it's in Philadelphia.

Widescreen
1/23/2014, 06:28 PM

Liberty Bell? Belldozer is better.

cvsooner
1/23/2014, 06:29 PM
He's going to Lubbock, where he will be known as Taco Bell.

We traded him for Mayfield, you know.

1sooners1
1/23/2014, 09:01 PM
I heard the transfer was to Massachusetts, will be known as MA Bell.

swardboy
1/23/2014, 10:14 PM
I think it's in Philadelphia.

Liberty Bell

Therealsouthsider
1/23/2014, 11:06 PM
....he'll be going to Chapel Hill...the 'Chapel Bell'

ss

1sooners1
1/23/2014, 11:32 PM
Going to play for Mangino at Iowa State, known as Dinner Bell.

oupride
1/24/2014, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the info.

birddog
1/24/2014, 09:27 AM

Give 8x the "Nobell". Yes, lame, I'm well aware.

cvsooner
1/24/2014, 12:45 PM
Going to play for Mangino at Iowa State, known as Dinner Bell.

Winnah!

swardboy
1/24/2014, 01:39 PM
Saw him on Will Rogers Turnpike: For Whom the Bell Tolls"

1sooners1
1/24/2014, 04:46 PM
Gonna come down to either playing for UT at San Antonio, known as the Mission Bell or for Justin Fuente and known as the Memphis Bell.

David Earl
1/24/2014, 05:27 PM
I heard he's going to work for AT&T and he's gonna...

...aw shucks...

...I got nuthin.

OU_Sooners75
1/24/2014, 07:23 PM
Blake Bell was a WR until his Junior year in high school, which was his first year at QB.

OU_Sooners75
1/24/2014, 07:24 PM
It could be twitter garbage. Has Bell ever caught a pass in a trick play? He did lead us to victory over Poke in Stilly, so there's still tons of QB potential in him. But if he can catch, then by all means put him at TE. I kind of miss "Touchdown tight end!" at OU :(

Please reference my post above this one. ;)

OU_Sooners75
1/24/2014, 07:28 PM
Thanks, If you guys have heard nothing 'official' it means it was just some fool tweeting. Sorry for the false alarm but I thought I'd missed something.

official? Where are we going to hear anything "official"?

They are not "practicing" right now, but it has been said that he is working out with the TE, FB, and LBs in their strength program.

With TK, Thomas, Mayfield (tech transfer), Justice Hansen all there, it would be a dang good move for Bell to go to TE. After all, he did play WR until his Junior year in high school.

Mazeppa
1/24/2014, 09:07 PM
Rumor shot down again

http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2014/1/23/5339514/oklahoma-football-the-rumor-mill-blake-bell-quarterback-tight-end

8timechamps
1/24/2014, 09:11 PM
official? Where are we going to hear anything "official"?

They are not "practicing" right now, but it has been said that he is working out with the TE, FB, and LBs in their strength program.

With TK, Thomas, Mayfield (tech transfer), Justice Hansen all there, it would be a dang good move for Bell to go to TE. After all, he did play WR until his Junior year in high school.

He worked out with Aaron Ripkowski and Trey Millard the entire season. I don't think that has anything to do with his position.

Like I said earlier, everything I'm hearing is that this is a rumor that started (and is being fed) on the "outside".

Mazeppa
1/24/2014, 09:15 PM
Traber?

swardboy
1/24/2014, 09:23 PM
Y'all are trying to get more out of Blake....Cow Bell.

1sooners1
1/25/2014, 12:01 AM
Rumor shot down again

http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2014/1/23/5339514/oklahoma-football-the-rumor-mill-blake-bell-quarterback-tight-end

According to whom? The author of this article? He quoted no one in the article as a source dispelling anything that I saw.

Eielson
1/31/2014, 04:43 PM
Looks like there was something to it...

http://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ou-oklahoma-sooners-football-notes-from-inside-the-program

- Was told by another player yesterday that Blake appears to be 100% tight end. Was told that his uncle and father spoke with Coach Stoops about it last month and all parties seemed to agree that it was best for Blake.

- Cody (Thomas) and Justice (Hansen) are tearing it up in workouts. The players think they both have NFL futures written all over them.

swardboy
1/31/2014, 05:20 PM
Way to ruin my winter - spring - summer. August can't get here soonER enough!

Seriously, is there any way someone could overtake TK this spring? As much as I love him, I don't go "NFL" over him yet.

8timechamps
1/31/2014, 06:20 PM
Looks like there was something to it...

http://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ou-oklahoma-sooners-football-notes-from-inside-the-program

I respect those guys, but I have to question their "source" a little. Winter workouts just started this week, so the comment that players are "tearing it up" seems a little (or a lot) premature.

Then the last comment from their "source" says that the coaches have moved on to the 2015 recruiting class, with the exception of Parker and Clark. I know for a fact that is wrong. A lot of work has gone into the upcoming junior day, and offers are going out for 2015, but the #1 priority for the coaching staff is still the remaining targets for 2014:

Frison
Parker
Clark
Quick

In any event, I've sent another message to my "source". He told me two weeks ago that there was no truth to the rumor about Bell, but I'm seeing it in a lot of places now.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/5/2014, 03:09 PM
No link yet, but Bob has confirmed Bell to TE in the spring.

badger
2/5/2014, 03:11 PM
Well, Trevor Knight just separated his shoulder* so I hope doesn't move to TE too fast

*During the Poke game, long before pwning Bama in the Sugar Bowl

stoops the eternal pimp
2/5/2014, 03:21 PM
@GabeIkard 1m

My man @B_Bell10 is going to do some serious damage at tight end. Very excited for him.

BoulderSooner79
2/5/2014, 03:36 PM
I'm excited that Ikard is excited. Bold move by Bell and I really hope it works out. There are plenty of NFL TEs that run like Bell. Not real elusive, but can get up to speed and with power to drag secondary players for a few yards. He needs to prove he can block, use his size to box out, and of course, catch the ball.

cvsooner
2/5/2014, 03:41 PM
Brennan Clay also just tweeted Bell is moving to tight end.

BoulderSooner79
2/5/2014, 03:45 PM
Brennan Clay also just tweeted Bell is moving to tight end.

But was he excited?

;)

LittleElmSooner
2/5/2014, 03:51 PM
Stoops just confirmed it in his press conference.

cvsooner
2/5/2014, 04:06 PM
But was he excited?

;)

He was!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swardboy
2/5/2014, 04:13 PM
He'll have some serious competition with this recruiting class it appears.

legacy79
2/5/2014, 04:16 PM
Blake is staying. He will get reps at TE and will also do some light work running the Scout team depending on the opponent to keep his arm fresh.

LittleElmSooner
2/5/2014, 04:25 PM
During the signing day presser, Josh was also asked about Blake at TE. He was asked if Blake would continue to work some at QB, or if he was "all in" at TE. He responded that as of now, Blake was "all in" at TE.

Boomer

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 05:54 PM
Blake Bell will go on to be a Sooner legend. He may not have been a Sam Bradford caliber player, but his "team first" attitude and Sooner loyalty will not soon be forgotten by the fans. I'm happy for Blake and thankful he is a Sooner.

Wishboned
2/5/2014, 05:58 PM
Blake Bell will go on to be a Sooner legend. He may not have been a Sam Bradford caliber player, but his "team first" attitude and Sooner loyalty will not soon be forgotten by the fans. I'm happy for Blake and thankful he is a Sooner.

Like Paul Thompson. One of my favorite Sooners of all time, because he was ready to do anything for the team.

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 06:49 PM
Like Paul Thompson. One of my favorite Sooners of all time, because he was ready to do anything for the team.

Yep.

Wish we had a team full of those kinds of guys (maybe we do).

picasso
2/5/2014, 07:10 PM
Aside from a big target he may be a good blocker. Rangy long arms.

soonerfan69
2/5/2014, 08:15 PM
He's too slow IMO

thecrimsoncrusader
2/5/2014, 09:44 PM
He's too slow IMO

He has an acceleration issue, not so much a speed issue. As in, his speed will be fine as the tight-end position. The coaching staff just made a big mistake this season of trying to have him run laterally at the QB position, which he cannot do well instead of between the tackles, which he can do well.

8timechamps
2/5/2014, 09:57 PM
He has an acceleration issue, not so much a speed issue. As in, his speed will be fine as the tight-end position. The coaching staff just made a big mistake this season of trying to have him run laterally at the QB position, which he cannot do well instead of between the tackles, which he can do well.

He runs like my youngest son. He's a big body, and it takes a little longer to get going. That's not going to be an issue at TE. There aren't going to be too many times when he'll catch a ball at a dead stop.

I'd be really surprised if he doesn't excel at TE. Then Tim Tebow can see what could have been.

birddog
2/5/2014, 10:35 PM
Yeah I was gonna say te's are slow compared to other "skill"positions because they have broad shoulders. Maybe he isn't as smooth as gresh but not many of em are. I agree that bb will go down as a fan fav and hope he has 30+receptions next year

picasso
2/5/2014, 10:54 PM
Run a good route and you'll get open.

Wishboned
2/5/2014, 11:25 PM
Yep.

Wish we had a team full of those kinds of guys (maybe we do).

If we do then I really like our chances the next few years.

BoulderSooner79
2/5/2014, 11:35 PM

I don't think it was a mistake so much as that was the offense they had planned to run with TK. The zone read has the back going up the middle and the QB going laterally on the keeper if the DE crashes in. Bell just couldn't run that. They tried to adjust by having a back or WR come around in motion and invert the read such that Bell would keep inside. It worked a few times, but that's a dangerous handoff with the player coming across that fast.

BoulderSooner79
2/5/2014, 11:38 PM

^This. Or just understand a zone and camp in a gap. On short throws in the middle, a good TE can use his body to box out the defender and be available even if he's not very open.

picasso
2/5/2014, 11:54 PM
QB's who work a shotgun set have to have good hands.
Could amount to something.

stoopified
2/6/2014, 06:53 AM
Blake had good hands in hs,he played more wr in hs than qb.I think he will be a Trent Smith type te who is more reciever than blocker.

swardboy
2/6/2014, 07:07 AM
Sounds like we're pretty much agreed that if Blake hadn't made this move, he would be a dumb Bell.

CincySooner
2/6/2014, 08:52 AM

Agreed... He may not have had the career he wanted (so far), but after what he did at Notre Dame and his last-second daggers (2 years in a row) against OSU, he can ride into the sunset.

Who knows, maybe he'll pull down the game winner from the TE spot in the playoff finals next year.

Bourbon St Sooner
2/6/2014, 09:55 AM
Sounds like we're pretty much agreed that if Blake hadn't made this move, he would be a dumb Bell.

That was 2 pages ago. Keep up.

dennis580
2/6/2014, 09:56 AM
He's too slow IMO

Bell is NOT slow. In fact its the excate opposite he actually has very good speed once he gets going, and he is a threat to take it to the house. He just doesn't have much accleration so it takes him a long time to get to full speed.

olevetonahill
2/6/2014, 10:11 AM
Bell is NOT slow. In fact its the excate opposite he actually has very good speed once he gets going, and he is a threat to take it to the house. He just doesn't have much accleration so it takes him a long time to get to full speed.

Where did you go to School? No Acceleration MEANS SLOW, In my Book.

This From Josh about what BB said.

“Over the break, he wasn’t sure what he was going to do,” said Heupel. “He approached me when I got back into town, and we had a conversation. He said, ‘Listen, I want to play at the University of Oklahoma. I’m a Sooner. I believe we’ve got a chance to do something special here.’”

“Blake wants to play, wants to help his team, wants to compete and believes that’s a great position for him to do that,” Heupel said. “I think everyone on our staff believes in him as a competitor and as a player. It’s going to be a lot of fun for him to make a change and then see where he can grow. I feel like he’s going to be a good player there.

Boomer.....
2/6/2014, 10:27 AM
He's not slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLUlGN2GRqw

picasso
2/6/2014, 10:41 AM
He has heavy feet but he's not slow.
This comversation is wuite funny because TE hasn't always been a pure speed position.
If he can block, make key posession catches and Belldoze, then I think he can contribute.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/6/2014, 11:21 AM
We are talking about a position that has not been a factor for a few years.. I'm going to wait to see if they include the TE in the offense before I care.

BoulderSooner79
2/6/2014, 11:33 AM
We are talking about a position that has not been a factor for a few years.. I'm going to wait to see if they include the TE in the offense before I care.

If you wait, you risk the caring line getting really long.

Jason White's Third Knee
2/6/2014, 11:34 AM

I think you can separate speed and quickness. I've seen Bell run pretty fast, but the kid ain't quick!

olevetonahill
2/6/2014, 11:36 AM
I think you can separate speed and quickness. I've seen Bell run pretty fast, but the kid ain't quick!

Agree, Hell a Freight Train can go pretty dayum fast, It just takes a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time to get to speed.

Jason White's Third Knee
2/6/2014, 11:36 AM
Article
(http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/oklahoma-blake-bell-switches-quarterback-tight-end-senior-160600753--ncaaf.html)

stoops the eternal pimp
2/6/2014, 11:37 AM
If you wait, you risk the caring line getting really long.

That's OK..I still have my first in line spot in the TK should be our starting QB line.

C&CDean
2/6/2014, 11:37 AM

They do include the TE. As a tackle. Although TK threw a few to the TE in the SB, no?

SoonerLB
2/6/2014, 12:21 PM

BINGO!!! Hope he can block well if the offense stays in the same mode, 'cause there won't be many passes coming his way.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/6/2014, 12:21 PM
2 passes in the SB... And most of the TE as a tackle has been Millard moving up to the line along with Rip..another FB.

I would like to think there is a move to get the position back involved.

swardboy
2/6/2014, 12:43 PM
That was 2 pages ago. Keep up.

What the bell was I thinking.

And I second the position back emotion...

FaninAma
2/6/2014, 02:50 PM
Blake is a hell of a team player. I wish him the best.

http://newsok.com/ou-football-blake-bell-to-remain-at-ou-switches-to-tight-end/article/3930901

OU68
2/6/2014, 03:08 PM
He's getting married - wedding bell.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/6/2014, 03:18 PM

Vet is slow.

Soonerwake
2/6/2014, 03:24 PM

I can't get the bar scene from Animal House where Flounder asks the guy in the bar "where do you go to school?" out of my mind when I read this.

Oh, OK, so BB is slow..

Salt City Sooner
2/6/2014, 03:39 PM
This. To take it to a different sport for a minute, it's the same reason that Bernie Williams was an excellent centerfielder, but an average at best base stealer.

mainline13
2/6/2014, 04:17 PM

Yup. Biletnikoff never was fast. He got open consistently, and had great hands. Especially with Stickum.

cvsooner
2/6/2014, 05:24 PM
In my playing days (high school), as a tight end, I was quick but slow. I was quick off the ball and made good blocks, but wouldn't beat anybody except most of the linemen in a footrace.

olevetonahill
2/6/2014, 05:29 PM
Vet is slow.

Jes cause I aint very smart dont mean ya can make fun of me!