PDA

View Full Version : Kendal Thompson transferring

azheat4u
1/21/2014, 10:27 PM
He just tweeted he is graduating in May and plans to transfer so he can play next year.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/21/2014, 10:29 PM
Not surprising. I do appreciate how hard he has worked. And I hope he has great success!

jiminy
1/21/2014, 10:32 PM
How does he graduate in 3 years?

But best of luck to him

8timechamps
1/21/2014, 10:38 PM
Best of luck to KT.

I hope he finished out his college career with much success.

instigator
1/21/2014, 10:58 PM
Sucks to lose him. I sure liked having a backup that was so similar to TK.

Good luck to him in the future. He must have busted his *** to graduate that fast.

stoopified
1/21/2014, 11:23 PM
Sucks to lose him. I sure liked having a backup that was so similar to TK.

Good luck to him in the future. He must have busted his *** to graduate that fast.Exactly. Full academic semester loads with no filler and stout summer class sessions. Good Luck Kendall.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/22/2014, 12:33 AM
He was a spring entrant so 3 1/2.

Man, if Blake Bell does the same thing we might have some issues with QB depth.

olevetonahill
1/22/2014, 02:11 AM
I wish him Nothing But the Best, The Kid worked his *** off for OU .
No matter where He goes I'll do my best to watch.

Boomer.....
1/22/2014, 08:45 AM

I'm sure Stoops will do everything he can to keep him here. I'm still excited about Cody Thomas and we will also have Hansen and Mayfield.

KantoSooner
1/22/2014, 09:30 AM
Mayfield? First, he can't play and second would you want him?

KantoSooner
1/22/2014, 09:31 AM
And by 'can't' I mean, he's not eligible.

Boomer.....
1/22/2014, 09:37 AM
And by 'can't' I mean, he's not eligible.

I'm just talking about depth in the future. He's at OU regardless of the team wanting him or not. I guess it's up to them to see if they will let him walk on, but what can it hurt?

KantoSooner
1/22/2014, 09:59 AM
I suppose if he wants to sit out for a year. That would leave him with one year left? I can't see Bob being too thrilled to put time into a guy who is a short timer and has shown a propensity to walk out on his team mates. So, yeah, I agree with you, but don't seriously put him in the depth chart. He's more like a stray dog that showed up that you're feeding.

tulsaoilerfan
1/22/2014, 10:18 AM
I think Mayfield was a freshman this past season, so if he has to sit a year couldn't he use a redshirt and still be a sophomore?

picasso
1/22/2014, 10:38 AM
Bad move.
TK is prone to injury.
We can all go back to Tommy Grady and 2006.

IamJacksScreenName
1/22/2014, 11:24 AM
Thompson was asked to move to WR.. it really doesn't surprise me that he wants to continue to play QB even if it isn't at OU.. best of luck to him.

swardboy
1/22/2014, 11:27 AM
Yep, love TK, but he was knocked out TWICE by injury in '13...different injuries too.

picasso
1/22/2014, 12:00 PM
Thompson was asked to move to WR.. it really doesn't surprise me that he wants to continue to play QB even if it isn't at OU.. best of luck to him.

If that's true then it was probably an easier decision.

8timechamps
1/22/2014, 07:09 PM
I suppose if he wants to sit out for a year. That would leave him with one year left? I can't see Bob being too thrilled to put time into a guy who is a short timer and has shown a propensity to walk out on his team mates. So, yeah, I agree with you, but don't seriously put him in the depth chart. He's more like a stray dog that showed up that you're feeding.

Mayfield will have two years to play two (after he sits this year). He won't factor in to the team this year, but he will next year. The kid can play, he's a proven producer, and it's costing OU nothing (in terms of scholarship space or cost). It's a win/win for OU.

8timechamps
1/22/2014, 07:11 PM

This is why I don't think there's any chance Bell changes positions. Who'd you rather have if Knight went down, a guy that has experience in big games, and has the ability to win. Or, a kid that has never played a down of college ball? Obviously, you'd want the former.

So, the depth chart will look like this:

Knight
Bell
Thomas
Hansen

Then you can add Mayfield (and whoever we get in 2015) to the following year's roster.

hawaii 5-0
1/22/2014, 07:53 PM
Hawaii could sure use someone with Thompson's talents.

5-0

SoonerMarkVA
1/22/2014, 08:46 PM

Agreed. A no-brainer, especially since he'll already have graduated.

EatLeadCommie
1/22/2014, 09:02 PM
Any rumors on what schools he is looking to transfer to?

BoulderSooner79
1/22/2014, 11:13 PM
This is why I don't think there's any chance Bell changes positions. Who'd you rather have if Knight went down, a guy that has experience in big games, and has the ability to win. Or, a kid that has never played a down of college ball? Obviously, you'd want the former.

I'd say "usually", not "obviously". If that RS freshman is Sam Bradford (or Jameis Winston, or JFF, or ...), I'd take the kid with no experience. Coaches would have a bit of insight on that.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/23/2014, 06:16 PM
Any rumors on what schools he is looking to transfer to?Since he's graduated, he should just go pro...

8timechamps
1/23/2014, 07:14 PM
I know Tulsa recruited him pretty hard out of high school (only had offers from OU and Tulsa), and they just graduated their senior QB...But, I know he has to go somewhere that offers a masters program not offered at OU, so I'm not sure if that will exclude Tulsa, or not.

Eielson
1/23/2014, 08:03 PM
I'd bet Tulsa has a master's program we don't have. Not sure, though. I'd love to see him go there.

1sooners1
1/23/2014, 09:03 PM
What was his major at OU?

Soonerjeepman
1/24/2014, 01:19 AM
lost in all this is the kid graduated in 3 years....congrats. Sad when a Sooner prodigy moves on but hope the best works out for him.

oupride
1/24/2014, 09:19 AM
Best to you KT.

SoonerMarkVA
1/24/2014, 09:57 AM
I know Tulsa recruited him pretty hard out of high school (only had offers from OU and Tulsa), and they just graduated their senior QB...But, I know he has to go somewhere that offers a masters program not offered at OU, so I'm not sure if that will exclude Tulsa, or not.

Wow! How is that possible for an Elite 11 QB?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/24/2014, 10:09 AM

I can't speak specifically to KT's recruitment as I don't keep up that much, but there have been plenty of Elite 11s not highly sought after.

Scott D
1/24/2014, 10:16 AM

There are times that schools believe that certain players are such a strong lean to certain places they don't recruit them....or they were scared off by him being a lefty. Sometimes an injury in high school can alter a player's recruitment. LeSean McCoy is a perfect example of this.

8timechamps
1/24/2014, 09:25 PM

It happens more than you would think. First, you have to remember the "Elite 11" is product of ESPN. So, it doesn't carry weight with some of the other services (that doesn't mean the kids are good, it just doesn't mean they are).

When ESPN does their evaluation for the Elite 11, they host regional events that reduce the number of QBs until they get it to 11. These are typically one day events, and if a kid has a "big" day, that could be the difference in getting to the finals. Typically, the final 11 are very good players, but not necessarily the "elite" of the nation.

Clearly Kendall has the ability to play at the D1 level, but I think it's also a little telling that the only two offers he had were from OU and Tulsa.

JiminyChristmas
1/24/2014, 10:24 PM
What was the reason for Thompson to announce this now? I assume he won't practice with the team this spring. That's just going to make him that much farther behind wherever he lands next.

Why wouldn't he have gone through spring practice, get the work in, and see how it pans out? Then announce the transfer if he still wanted to leave.

Is it just a scholarship numbers thing and he wanted other teams to possibly consider him before they sign their classes Feb 5th?

The timing seems odd to me. More to the story maybe?

Piware
1/24/2014, 10:42 PM
Good luck KT. We appreciate your hard work and your dream of being the OU starting QB. Go be a star and make us proud. You will always be a Sooner.

badger
2/26/2014, 12:38 PM
He's going to Utah.

It's official, Utah Football wants to welcome QB Kendal Thompson @Thurm405 to the #UteNation Welcome to the family. #KiYi #LightTheU

Linky (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-kendal-thompson-lands-at-utah/article/3937496)

Boomer.....
2/26/2014, 01:00 PM
Interesting.

Well, good luck to him and the Utes!

UteSooner
2/26/2014, 01:32 PM
Welcome to my other school KT! Degrees from OU and Utah are a great combination!

It was recently announced that Utah's QB was cleared to play in the spring (not long ago his career seemed over). Even though he hasn't been cleared for full-contact (and may never be cleared)...I thought that news might impact KT's decision. Glad he's still headed up there.

Wishboned
2/26/2014, 01:50 PM
Good luck KT!

rock on sooner
2/26/2014, 02:23 PM
Wish him good luck....just wondering if he frees up a scholarship by
the transfer? If so, any walk on worthy? Or, even farther reaching,
a mysterious stud that hasn't signed?

freshchris05
2/27/2014, 10:58 AM
Someone likes 3.2 beer.