PDA

View Full Version : sex ed in public school...my kid's district

Soonerjeepman
1/18/2014, 01:48 PM
THIS is total BS...glad my kids are out. I never saw this 5 years ago..thank God and I was involved.

IF you have kids in public education you NEED to be INVOLVED and aware. Yes, I'm a teacher...we are being told by the districts what to teach, how to teach, etc...you the parents need to have a voice.

Shawnee Mission USD is one of the top public districts as far as test scores etc in the country. It's one of the richest in the state (prob top 2 or 3). Usually fairly conservative but def getting more liberal.

Again, comes down to PARENTS taking responsibilities for sex ed, moral ed, etc

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/01/17/parents-upset-by-x-rated-sex-ed-poster-in-middle-school/?intcmp=latestnews

diverdog
1/19/2014, 08:50 AM
THIS is total BS...glad my kids are out. I never saw this 5 years ago..thank God and I was involved.

IF you have kids in public education you NEED to be INVOLVED and aware. Yes, I'm a teacher...we are being told by the districts what to teach, how to teach, etc...you the parents need to have a voice.

Shawnee Mission USD is one of the top public districts as far as test scores etc in the country. It's one of the richest in the state (prob top 2 or 3). Usually fairly conservative but def getting more liberal.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/01/17/parents-upset-by-x-rated-sex-ed-poster-in-middle-school/?intcmp=latestnews

It is a shame that we have totally destroyed the innocence of childhood in this country. I mostly blame Hollywood and the media. This certainly does not help. The only thing Middle School kids should know about sex is not to do it.

olevetonahill
1/19/2014, 09:00 AM
If I had learned about sex before the age of 12 I prolly wouldnt have turned out so well.

yermom
1/19/2014, 09:07 AM
The plumbing works at 13. If you don't think kids start having sex that early you are naive.

diverdog
1/19/2014, 09:27 AM
The plumbing works at 13. If you don't think kids start having sex that early you are naive.

Yermon it works earlier than that. My point is that we need frank discussions about sex but at that age the message needs to be one of abstinence. It also boils down to good parenting. Don't allow your kids to get in situations where this could happen.

olevetonahill
1/19/2014, 09:30 AM

Yermon it works earlier than that. My point is that we need frank discussions about sex but at that age the message needs to be one of abstinence. It also boils down to good parenting. Don't allow your kids to get in situations where this could happen.

DD I think Yermom grew up sheltered. As for Not allowing yer kids to get in those situations I curse you.
I kinda enjoyed it. :very_drunk:

yermom
1/19/2014, 09:34 AM
The link is talking about 13 year olds. I'm fairly fluent in biology...

But assuming that your kids aren't going to sneak away at some point is a recipe for teen pregnancy

It's gonna happen. It's better if they know how to use a condom when it does

diverdog
1/19/2014, 10:01 AM

But assuming that your kids aren't going to sneak away at some point is a recipe for teen pregnancy

My youngest is finishing Middle School this year and I can guarantee you I know where he is and what he is doing every minute of the day. That is my job as his dad. High School will be another battle but I have faith in my parenting skills. My job is to get them to 18 without getting a girl pregnant. I hope it will be a few years longer than that.

diverdog
1/19/2014, 10:03 AM
DD I think Yermom grew up sheltered. As for Not allowing yer kids to get in those situations I curse you.
I kinda enjoyed it. :very_drunk:

Despite my somewhat liberal leanings I am pretty old fashion when it comes to being a parent.

yermom
1/19/2014, 10:10 AM
My youngest is finishing Middle School this year and I can guarantee you I know where he is and what he is doing every minute of the day. That is my job as his dad. High School will be another battle but I have faith in my parenting skills. My job is to get them to 18 without getting a girl pregnant. I hope it will be a few years longer than that.

don't you have a job?

diverdog
1/19/2014, 10:15 AM
don't you have a job?

Yep. Their grandparents pick them up after school. We have a good family support system and my wife is a teacher in their HS.

In fairness to your concerns my boys are a little bit on the geeky side right now and girls are not in the picture....yet. So it makes life easier. My friends have a little tougher job.

FaninAma
1/19/2014, 10:28 AM
It takes a village, right mom?

jkjsooner
1/19/2014, 10:30 AM
It appears you can't trust those a abstinence only folks to come up with the sex education curriculum.

District spokesperson Leigh Anne Neal told Fox 4 News the poster is part of their abstinence-based health curriculum.

FaninAma
1/19/2014, 10:32 AM
Despite my somewhat liberal leanings I am pretty old fashion when it comes to being a parent.
That's a conundrum since your liberal leanings are allowing the state to usurp your role as a parent.

Why is anybody shocked what a state-controlled education system wants to teach your kids.......especially in states that have strong teachers unions? If you are shocked then you aren't very bright.

FaninAma
1/19/2014, 10:35 AM

Only if they can find a 13 year old girl with low self-esteem.

olevetonahill
1/19/2014, 10:40 AM

If I remember right it wernt that hard even Back then
Hell once I got my 1st sniff of Punanny i was worse than an Alabama coon dog on the trail

yermom
1/19/2014, 11:07 AM

You really think those are in short supply?

FaninAma
1/19/2014, 11:12 AM
You really think those are in short supply?
Nope, but I can guarantee you my 13 year old son will be able to recognize them and avoid them.

FaninAma
1/19/2014, 11:13 AM
If I remember right it wernt that hard even Back then
Hell once I got my 1st sniff of Punanny i was worse than an Alabama coon dog on the trail
Nope, it wasn't. We knew who they were in high school. I actually felt sorry for them.

jkjsooner
1/19/2014, 11:25 AM
Nope, but I can guarantee you my 13 year old son will be able to recognize them and avoid them.

Avoid them?

I kid.

okiegirl
1/19/2014, 12:56 PM

I agree that it is BS!!! They left out rapin', slappin', and donkey punchin', maybe a lil' Cleveland Steamer, would truly express sexual feelings? ...What about some bondage or pearl necklaces for the kiddies to learn? .... I wonder when it stops. When do the schools get to decide that our kids have learned enough, "sexual feelings", to graduate to the next level, and what is the "next" level? If we are starting kids on sex, anal, vaginal, touching etc, at age 13.... at what point do the schools decide they have had enough "learning".. and when do parents decide they have had enough, of their kids learning it?

My blood was boiling when I read this article, the first time. It should not be a schools job to teach any child about SEX. I am not against health education, but it should be as an elective, and it should do with actual health, not sex. It reminds me of hearing about k-3 learning about gay relationships, when my daughter was in kindergarten. They were reading a book about "diversity" which promoted homosexuality. The school should not be involved in any child's bedroom.

The other thing that confuses me, is that with all this promotion of sharing sexual feelings, does anyone worry that it is going to cause more kids to sext or send nude selfies, as a way to explore the new sexual feelings? Then you get boys (and some girls) thrown in prison as sex offenders, yet it is the school that is pushing them to be sex offenders, in a round-about-way.

Not every child is perverted by age 13. I bet most kids, who are raised with caring parents, are not. So no reason to wreck innocent minds.

Tulsa_Fireman
1/19/2014, 04:22 PM
Is this the thread where we're whippin' out the wieners?

olevetonahill
1/19/2014, 06:07 PM
Is this the thread where we're whippin' out the wieners?

Have you seen Anthony's New business?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpEPAeC9LcZUpQ5Dd-y_TgZN10kR_9fZ80MHmBQYFtcyQ8fjS58A

diverdog
1/20/2014, 08:25 AM
That's a conundrum since your liberal leanings are allowing the state to usurp your role as a parent.

Why is anybody shocked what a state-controlled education system wants to teach your kids.......especially in states that have strong teachers unions? If you are shocked then you aren't very bright.

Fanin:

My wife is a teacher and I can assure you that they have very little say in curriculums. Nor does the teachers union....at least in Delaware. Typically these sorts of deals come from either rogue teachers or from some newly minted PHD in the Department of Education.

The state does not worry me. Hollywood and some of the garbage they put out worries. They do far more damage to our kids then we are willing to admit.