PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER TTech QB transferring out.

swardboy
1/15/2014, 07:00 PM
Texas Tech quarterback Michael Brewer (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/131109/michael-brewer) has decided to leave Texas Tech, which means the Red Raiders have some serious concerns under center heading in to the spring. Texas Tech announced the transfer news viaTwitter (https://twitter.com/BlayneBeal/status/423515669733588993).

“I am honored to receive my degree from Texas Tech and will always call this university home,” Brewer said in a statement shared by a university spokesperson. “I will never forget the friendships and memories I have made here at Texas Tech. Lubbock has been nothing but great to me and my family and we will always appreciate that. Wherever I may go, I hope our fans will respect the person and player that I am.”

Brewer was third on the team in passing, although played very sparingly behind redshirt freshman Davis Webb (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132299/davis-webb), who enters the spring as the expected number one quarterback for the upcoming season, and Baker Mayfield, who has also left the program in hopes of being able to play elsewhere this fall. Mayfield wanted to move to Oklahoma, but a dispute with Texas Tech over transferring to Oklahoma may lead him elsewhere if a resolution cannot be met.

Texas Tech will be likely to add a quarterback to the shallow mix in the Class of 2014, with National Signing Day now just weeks away. The door may also be left with a light on for any potential transfer looking for a chance to play this fall.

Brewer is scheduled to graduate from Texas Tech this spring, which will allow him to transfer to another FBS school and be eligible to play this fall, if he chooses to transfer to another FBS program providing a chance to play this fall.

SoonerDomiNation
1/15/2014, 07:22 PM
Their not worried they will get another one. Especially since they put up video game numbers over the padt 10 years.

sooneron
1/15/2014, 08:32 PM
Yeah, but they've been more tecmo bowl than Madden with Leach's successors.

stoopified
1/15/2014, 09:44 PM
have to wonder why the HC who is a former qb is having trouble keeping qbs

swardboy
1/15/2014, 10:45 PM
Maybe ol' Michael has a man crush on Charlie Strong.

Naaaah.

Eielson
1/16/2014, 01:38 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I guessing this has something to do with the true freshman that threw for 400 yards and 4 TDs in their bowl game blowout.

stoopified
1/16/2014, 07:02 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I guessing this has something to do with the true freshman that threw for 400 yards and 4 TDs in their bowl game blowout.Maybe ,but OUr frosh qb had a pretty good bowl game and we didn't suffer a lossof qb talent.

Widescreen
1/16/2014, 08:16 AM
Maybe ,but OUr frosh qb had a pretty good bowl game and we didn't suffer a lossof qb talent.

Yet.

Mac94
1/16/2014, 08:38 AM
Speculation here in austin that he might end up at UT come this summer. We'll see but something to keep an eye on as the horns desperately need a QB.

jkjsooner
1/16/2014, 09:31 AM
Yet.

Right. We've had our share of QB's who have transferred because of concerns about playing time. It's normal. A good QB doesn't want to spend his career on the bench.

badger
1/16/2014, 10:40 AM
QBs seem to transfer more than other positions, probably because unlike linemen, receivers, running backs, etc., you don't rotate in and out to catch a breather, and there's more than one of them on the field mostly. BUT, there's one QB at all times (unless your team Bell-dozes, lol). No chance of seeing the field unless the starter stinks or gets injured.

I have no idea why the first guy wanted to come here, unless he planned to play a different position.

swardboy
1/16/2014, 11:53 AM
If Strong can recruit the kind of QB's that Mack pissed on, that may alone turn the horns around.

8timechamps
1/16/2014, 03:57 PM
Sorry, but it's not "normal" for a second QB to transfer from a program that only had three in competition.

There's definitely something going on in Lubbock, but I doubt we ever know the whole story.

I understood the Mayfield transfer, but not this one. It's so late in the recruiting process, and now Tech will almost have to sign a second QB in this class. They are down to Webb and a kid that walked on and has never played (and been relegated to back-up practice squad reps). There isn't a coach in the country that would be "okay" with the current QB situation in Lubbock, no matter how good Webb looked in their bowl game.

Eielson
1/16/2014, 04:08 PM
Sorry, but it's not "normal" for a second QB to transfer from a program that only had three in competition.

There's definitely something going on in Lubbock, but I doubt we ever know the whole story.

I understood the Mayfield transfer, but not this one. It's so late in the recruiting process, and now Tech will almost have to sign a second QB in this class. They are down to Webb and a kid that walked on and has never played (and been relegated to back-up practice squad reps). There isn't a coach in the country that would be "okay" with the current QB situation in Lubbock, no matter how good Webb looked in their bowl game.

I get the feeling that Tech saw this coming. If I'm not mistaken, Kingsbury said he expected one of the QB's to transfer, but was reportedly shocked when Mayfield announced he was transferring. Maybe I'm connecting the dots wrong, but I think that means he expected Brewer to transfer.

I understand how Tech would be uneasy, but I don't think that means anything is going on. Those two guys got beat out by a guy who was younger. If TK had no injury concerns and played all season like he did in the Sugar Bowl, I would expect Bell and KT to transfer. To my knowledge, no players at other positions have recently transferred out of Tech.

Widescreen
1/16/2014, 04:48 PM
Look at our logjam:

Knight
Bell
Thompson
Thomas
Hansen

I'm a little surprised that Bell or Thompson didn't transfer before the spring semester. It would be far more difficult to transfer in the summer and miss out on spring practice if you intend to compete for the start job immediately.

8timechamps
1/16/2014, 05:23 PM
I get the feeling that Tech saw this coming. If I'm not mistaken, Kingsbury said he expected one of the QB's to transfer, but was reportedly shocked when Mayfield announced he was transferring. Maybe I'm connecting the dots wrong, but I think that means he expected Brewer to transfer.

I understand how Tech would be uneasy, but I don't think that means anything is going on. Those two guys got beat out by a guy who was younger. If TK had no injury concerns and played all season like he did in the Sugar Bowl, I would expect Bell and KT to transfer. To my knowledge, no players at other positions have recently transferred out of Tech.

I know guys transfer (especially at QB), and when a freshman puts on a passing clinic (like Webb did against ASU), it's to be expected. But, when you only have 3 guys, there's no way your expecting two of them to leave after the season.

I know Mayfield said Kingsbury was shocked when he transferred, but I don't know anything about Brewer. However, with Brewer and Webb being the only two guys there, I'd think losing Brewer would be the last thing Kingsbury wanted.

I didn't mean to infer that there was something scandalous going on at Tech, just something more than what we're hearing. Something along the lines of Kingbury being tough to play for, or not being able to communicate.

As of now, I haven't heard a single mention of any of our guys transferring (and the clock is ticking). I suspect Bell will be back, and Thomas really isn't at a point where transferring makes much sense. Thompson is the only real candidate, and I think he really wants to be at OU.

8timechamps
1/16/2014, 05:25 PM
Look at our logjam:

Knight
Bell
Thompson
Thomas
Hansen

I'm a little surprised that Bell or Thompson didn't transfer before the spring semester. It would be far more difficult to transfer in the summer and miss out on spring practice if you intend to compete for the start job immediately.

I asked around recently, and there was no news on any of the guys leaving. That doesn't mean much, but you're right, waiting makes it very difficult...unless you're a guy that knows he can go in and compete for the starting job immediately...and I'm not sure we have one of those guys behind Knight.

Bell has played a lot of football at OU, and I think he'll graduate a Sooner. It's too early for Thomas, so that really only leaves Thompson. We'll see, but I don't think we're going to lose any of them.

badger
1/16/2014, 05:33 PM

Kliff: So since I'm so young looking, I will be taking over as Tech's quarterback...

(several Tech quarterbacks immediately apply to transfer)

Hey, it's about as plausible an explanation as anything else

oupride
1/16/2014, 06:05 PM
Speculation here in austin that he might end up at UT come this summer. We'll see but something to keep an eye on as the horns desperately need a QB.
Copy that.

Eielson
1/16/2014, 10:16 PM
I know guys transfer (especially at QB), and when a freshman puts on a passing clinic (like Webb did against ASU), it's to be expected. But, when you only have 3 guys, there's no way your expecting two of them to leave after the season.

I agree that Tech wouldn't want this to happen, but I'm just saying that that wouldn't really factor into the players' decisions. I'm sure Tech did what they could, but the players make up their own minds, and it's always tough when a younger guy beats you out. We've had a couple guys transfer like that. Thomas and Hansen are younger than TK, so it doesn't affect them in the same way. I understand Bell wanting to stay, but I'm pretty surprised KT is sticking around.

swardboy
1/21/2014, 09:45 AM
Yikes! I guess Colorado wins the qb attrition contest. I saw yesterday that five of their six qb's were gone.

Tear Down This Wall
1/21/2014, 12:03 PM
Look at our logjam:

Knight
Bell
Thompson
Thomas
Hansen

Why would Bell or Thompson transfer? Knight had one great game all season. One. The odds of him putting up those numbers and/or staying healthy the entire season is small. Both know they will be play in 2014, and possibly start at some point.

Eielson
1/21/2014, 03:15 PM
Why would Bell or Thompson transfer? Knight had one great game all season. One. The odds of him putting up those numbers and/or staying healthy the entire season is small. Both know they will be play in 2014, and possibly start at some point.

KT couldn't find playing time when TK was playing very poorly, and TK is much improved at this point. His final game didn't look like a fluke to me, but I guess you can take that stance if you want. Now you have another younger guy coming into the mix in Thomas. If KT ever plays QB for OU, it's only going to be for 1 year, and he's going to have to beat out Thomas and Hansen, and hope that TK goes pro or gets hurt.

Mazeppa
1/24/2014, 08:52 PM
EyeOn
College Football
Report: Texas Tech QB Clayton Nicholas transfers to BGSU
By Jerry Hinnen | College Football Writer
January 24, 2014 2:02 pm ET

Clayton Nicholas was a three-star recruit in the class of 2012. (USATSI) The most easily overlooked member of Texas Tech 's quarterbacking exodus has landed in an offense that might change that status come 2015.
Red Raider redshirt freshman Clayton Nicholas will transfer to Bowling Green to play for first-year head coach Dino Babers, the Toledo Blade reported Thursday. Nicholas had unofficially announced his intention to join the Falcons on his Twitter account on Dec. 31.
After redshirting under Tommy Tuberville in 2012, Nicholas fell to fourth-string on the Red Radier depth chart during Kliff Kingsbury's debut season in 2013, trailing true freshmen Davis Webb and Baker Mayfield and redshirt sophomore Michael Brewer.
Brewer and Mayfield have also announced plans to transfer, leaving Webb -- who started and impressed in Tech's upset win over Arizona State in the Holiday Bowl -- the only Red Raider quarterback still on the roster who has played in a collegiate game.
If Nicholas -- a three-star recruit in the class of 2012 who ranked among the top 25 pro-style quarterbacks in his class -- does have potential that went untapped in Lubbock, Bowling Green seems an optimal program to try and develop it. In Babers, the Falcons have hired an Art Briles protege whose Baylor-style offense turned Eastern Illinois into one of the FCS's most exciting teams and quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo into arguably its biggest star.
Nicholas still has to win the job, of course. But the rewards for doing so may prove lavish.

8timechamps
1/24/2014, 09:07 PM
EyeOn
College Football
Report: Texas Tech QB Clayton Nicholas transfers to BGSU
By Jerry Hinnen | College Football Writer
January 24, 2014 2:02 pm ET

Clayton Nicholas was a three-star recruit in the class of 2012. (USATSI) The most easily overlooked member of Texas Tech 's quarterbacking exodus has landed in an offense that might change that status come 2015.
Red Raider redshirt freshman Clayton Nicholas will transfer to Bowling Green to play for first-year head coach Dino Babers, the Toledo Blade reported Thursday. Nicholas had unofficially announced his intention to join the Falcons on his Twitter account on Dec. 31.
After redshirting under Tommy Tuberville in 2012, Nicholas fell to fourth-string on the Red Radier depth chart during Kliff Kingsbury's debut season in 2013, trailing true freshmen Davis Webb and Baker Mayfield and redshirt sophomore Michael Brewer.
Brewer and Mayfield have also announced plans to transfer, leaving Webb -- who started and impressed in Tech's upset win over Arizona State in the Holiday Bowl -- the only Red Raider quarterback still on the roster who has played in a collegiate game.
If Nicholas -- a three-star recruit in the class of 2012 who ranked among the top 25 pro-style quarterbacks in his class -- does have potential that went untapped in Lubbock, Bowling Green seems an optimal program to try and develop it. In Babers, the Falcons have hired an Art Briles protege whose Baylor-style offense turned Eastern Illinois into one of the FCS's most exciting teams and quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo into arguably its biggest star.
Nicholas still has to win the job, of course. But the rewards for doing so may prove lavish.

There's something going on in Lubbock. No way this kid leaves (given the opportunity that just presented itself after Mayfield/Brewer left) if things are "great" in Lubbock.

I bet Kingbury is burning the candle at both ends trying to get another QB (or two) for this class. As of right now, they will go into the summer with Webb and a true freshman on the roster. Wow.