PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Bowl "Sooner Magic" shirt arrived!

badger
1/15/2014, 09:38 AM
Yes, this one:
http://images.efollett.com/spirit/v4/831/00030777X-OK6.jpg
NP admitted that he was a bit crazy-happy after beating Bammer and ordered the shirts as soon as he saw the players wear 'em. Just arrived in the mail Tuesday. I hope the rest of you didn't have to wait two weeks.

I also hope they find a place to hang a few in the Bammer lockerroom :D

BigTip
1/15/2014, 09:50 AM
Nice.

Made me think about the Sooner Magic expression.
Were we the first to use the Magic thing? How about "nation?" I have seen other schools use nation now. I need a history lesson. Who used what first?

SoonerDomiNation
1/15/2014, 10:00 AM
I will own 1 or 32.... that's a nice shirt.

Widescreen
1/15/2014, 10:07 AM
Nice.

Made me think about the Sooner Magic expression.
Were we the first to use the Magic thing? How about "nation?" I have seen other schools use nation now. I need a history lesson. Who used what first?
We did them first and then Notre Dame stole them.

BigTip
1/15/2014, 10:13 AM
We did them first and then Notre Dame stole them.

lol, I know that's the story of "Play like a champion today."
But I couldn't find anything on the internet about the other two things.

badger
1/15/2014, 10:17 AM
Urban legend has it that "Sooner Magic" and "Poke Choke" were created simultaneously

BigTip
1/15/2014, 10:30 AM
lol, geez, ya ask a simple question........

salth2o
1/15/2014, 10:31 AM
FedEx shows mine will be delivered today.

sooneron
1/15/2014, 10:33 AM
I remember hearing Sooner Magic back in the 80's. Sadly, I believe Smellsofbourbon started the whole Nation bit.

swardboy
1/15/2014, 11:31 AM
I remember hearing Sooner Magic back in the 80's. Sadly, I believe Smellsofbourbon started the whole Nation bit.

I think you're right, but I think it was his wife who put it out there. Seems like someone posted that here way back in the day.

As far as "magic" goes I'm pretty sure I was hearing that back in the 70's, particularly after the hook 'n ladder play against Nebraska that Elvis Peacock wound up with. I wouldn't be surprised if Switzer didn't coin that term.

Sooner in Tampa
1/15/2014, 11:38 AM
I always thought The King coined Sooner Magic...

Flagstaffsooner
1/15/2014, 12:01 PM
I got mine yesterday.

As I remember Barry coined the term after a come from behind win in Lincoln on his coaches show in '87 or '88.

soonersweetie
1/15/2014, 12:20 PM
I got mine yesterday. It's awesome!! Cant wait to wear it to Norman in the fall.

BoulderSooner79
1/15/2014, 12:37 PM
I got mine yesterday.

As I remember Barry coined the term after a come from behind win in Lincoln on his coaches show in '87 or '88.

I thought the term existed way back in the 70s. Might have been used after the '76 game in Lincoln with a halfback pass followed by the ol hook and ladder play. Think Boise invented that stuff? Phhhht.

FirstandGoal
1/15/2014, 12:56 PM
After several futile trips to Fan Outfitters (they kept selling out) I finally got my shirt Sunday. Haven't worn it yet, but I will this weekend. :excitement:

badger
1/15/2014, 12:59 PM
After several futile trips to Fan Outfitters (they kept selling out) I finally got my shirt Sunday. Haven't worn it yet, but I will this weekend. :excitement:

I admittedly have not worn mine yet... was too pizzed about bball game last night, didn't seem appropriate. It's still in the plastic bag. I hope NP ordered me the female version:
http://images.efollett.com/spirit/v4/831/T00030780X-OK6.jpg

70sooner
1/15/2014, 01:08 PM
Barry did coin the term, which I knew, and from the link is the following.

Definitley pre 1987 or 88.

http://www.ou.edu/go2/why_ou/traditions.html

10.Sooner Magic: The term "Sooner Magic" was originally coined to refer to the Oklahoma/Nebraska football series while Barry Switzer was head coach. During the time period, Switzer's Sooners played the Cornhuskers 17 times, winning 12 of the meetings, eight of which were the result of a fourth-quarter comeback. Now, the term is often used to refer to the Sooners' success playing in Norman.

humblesooner
1/15/2014, 04:01 PM
I had a hard time calling what happened in New Orleans "Sooner Magic".
Typically, I think of Sooner Magic as what happened in College Station in 2000 or in Stillwater last November.
We are in the midst of good things happening and suddenly it appears things are about to go the other way.
Then we pull out the Sooner Magic. Almost like "Snatch victory from the jaws of defeat".
Although there were some nervous times in New Orleans, looking back on it, we were in control of the game from mid way through the 1st quarter on.
No Sooner Magic was required on Jan 2, 2014.

humblesooner
1/15/2014, 04:02 PM
BTW - My Sugar Bowl Champs (not Sooner Magic) T-Shirt and DVD of the game are supposed to arrive today.
Can't wait.

ouduckhunter
1/15/2014, 05:32 PM
That's really good looking! I was passing thru Norman the day after the game, and picked up some tshirts down on Campus Corner. Ours are just regular gray tshirts that say Sooner Magic, the final score, Allstate Sugar Bowl, yada yada. They are really busy with so much stuff printed on the front, but that was the only thing that anybody had with the final score on it. The best thing about it is that they printed Oklahoma Champions 2014 Allstate Sugar Bowl on the back side, and it really stands out.

I was happy to be in Norman, and get up them the day after our big win. It was also great to see so many people on Campus Corner buying OU stuff, and to see tv crews outside the Switzer Center.

Boomer!

Boomer!

BoulderSooner79
1/15/2014, 06:11 PM
Typically, I think of Sooner Magic as what happened in College Station in 2000 or in Stillwater last November.
We are in the midst of good things happening and suddenly it appears things are about to go the other way.
Then we pull out the Sooner Magic. Almost like "Snatch victory from the jaws of defeat".
Although there were some nervous times in New Orleans, looking back on it, we were in control of the game from mid way through the 1st quarter on.
No Sooner Magic was required on Jan 2, 2014.

Maybe not required, but I'd put the Yeldon fumble in the Sooner Magic category. Game was tied and they were moving at will on us and would have had 1st and goal. The fumble was just some flukey bad luck for Bama as we didn't force it and he wasn't being careless. He just collided with his own blocker in an unfortunate way. It was OUr good play to score on the ensuing 2 possessions to take a 2 TD lead. But that fumble was a huge reason we were in control from mid 1st quarter.

oupride
1/15/2014, 06:21 PM
Urban legend has it that "Sooner Magic" and "Poke Choke" were created simultaneously
lol

lexsooner
1/15/2014, 06:52 PM
Maybe not required, but I'd put the Yeldon fumble in the Sooner Magic category. Game was tied and they were moving at will on us and would have had 1st and goal. The fumble was just some flukey bad luck for Bama as we didn't force it and he wasn't being careless. He just collided with his own blocker in an unfortunate way. It was OUr good play to score on the ensuing 2 possessions to take a 2 TD lead. But that fumble was a huge reason we were in control from mid 1st quarter.

Am I the only one who felt it was about freakin time we got the breaks in a big bowl game? Lady luck sure did owe us after the past decade.

BigTip
1/15/2014, 06:57 PM
Am I the only one who felt it was about freakin time we got the breaks in a big bowl game? Lady luck sure did owe us after the past decade.

Hell yes. I was thinking we were cursed. And not just in bowl games.
Injuries.
Bad breaks.
Bad calls.
Reviewed plays ALWAYS going against us even when it was so freakin' obvious to anyone.

Jacie
1/15/2014, 06:58 PM

And all this time I was giving credit to coaching staff and the players . . .

8timechamps
1/15/2014, 07:38 PM
Normally, I greatly dislike one-game tee shirts. I feel even stronger about non-bowl game tee shirts, however...there have been two shirts this year that have been exceptions. First, the ND game tee-shirt, and this one.

Very cool shirt, and every time I see one I'll remember what a great victory this was.

FirstandGoal
1/16/2014, 01:37 AM
Normally, I greatly dislike one-game tee shirts. I feel even stronger about non-bowl game tee shirts, however...there have been two shirts this year that have been exceptions. First, the ND game tee-shirt, and this one.

Very cool shirt, and every time I see one I'll remember what a great victory this was.

I feel exactly the same way. Normally I hate "scoreboard" shirts, but this one was just so damned special and so well done that I HAD to get one.
The first Saturday they came out my sister picked some up for her, her kids and my BIL. By the time I got there, they were sold out and to add insult to injury, I had to spend the evening with my BIL that night where he taunted me with the fact that he had one and I didn't yet.
It feels good to have my own now and its really a good looking shirt.

humblesooner
1/16/2014, 09:06 AM
BTW - My Sugar Bowl Champs (not Sooner Magic) T-Shirt and DVD of the game are supposed to arrive today.
Can't wait.

T-Shirt arrived! :)
DVD not included? :(

olevetonahill
1/16/2014, 09:32 AM
I feel exactly the same way. Normally I hate "scoreboard" shirts, but this one was just so damned special and so well done that I HAD to get one.
The first Saturday they came out my sister picked some up for her, her kids and my BIL. By the time I got there, they were sold out and to add insult to injury, I had to spend the evening with my BIL that night where he taunted me with the fact that he had one and I didn't yet.
It feels good to have my own now and its really a good looking shirt.

You shoulda Taunted him right back that YOU had a Ho-down shirt and HE dint LOL

soonerboomer93
1/16/2014, 10:27 AM
Yes, this one:
http://images.efollett.com/spirit/v4/831/00030777X-OK6.jpg
NP admitted that he was a bit crazy-happy after beating Bammer and ordered the shirts as soon as he saw the players wear 'em. Just arrived in the mail Tuesday. I hope the rest of you didn't have to wait two weeks.

I also hope they find a place to hang a few in the Bammer lockerroom :D

Not the shirt, but they apparently have a reminder in their locker room:

http://www.soonerfans.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2793

badger
1/16/2014, 10:38 AM
Can we order that poster too? Anyone spot any on eBay? :D

Okie35
1/16/2014, 02:50 PM
Mine will be here tomorrow.

hawaii 5-0
1/16/2014, 02:56 PM
I opted for the crimson Champions T shirt.

I wanted our opponent, the Sugar Bowl logo and most important......the score......on the shirt.

Got it last week.

5-0

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/17/2014, 12:12 AM
As far as "Sooner Magic" goes I'm pretty sure I was hearing that back in the 70's, particularly after the hook 'n ladder play against Nebraska that Elvis Peacock wound up with. I wouldn't be surprised if Switzer didn't coin that term.This seems right to me. It started as a 1970's thing.

BoulderSooner79
1/17/2014, 01:14 AM

Heck no! I was thanking all those OU that made the trip for "willing" the ball out of Yeldon's grasp. Perfect timing!

And all this time I was giving credit to coaching staff and the players . . .

As we all are and they are getting plenty of credit from the entire CFB community. But we did have the ball bounce our way in that game for a change. I ain't apologizing.

badger
1/17/2014, 09:31 AM
I really would like a copy of that poster. I'll have to ask my brother (who lives in Alabama) if there's any out there, maybe at an Auburn store :D

texas bandman
1/17/2014, 03:34 PM
Got mine yesterday, can't wait to wear it this weekend. The funny thing is that my wife placed the order and my son and I received the short sleeve version and she got the short sleeve and long sleeve one. Doesn't seem quite fair. :tongue:

King Barry's Back
1/17/2014, 10:42 PM
"Sooner Nation" was a Schnellenberger import. It was one of his 'iinovations' in the Sooners' traditions.

After he got canned, i remember the Oklahoman writing a look back article at the one-year Schnelly era, and considering what things we might should keep. Sooner Nation and the game-day player walk across campus were two of the items they thought we might want to keep. The little stripes on the uniform sleeves were not.

soonerloyal
1/18/2014, 10:31 AM
Can't wait.

From where are you ordering the DVD and what is the cost? I preordered the Sugar Bowl DVD from Amazon. It's due to be delivered on the release date of 2/25. I got it for 2 bucks less than from other places I browsed and will get it sooner. But I'd also love another version if you'll let me know about it.

picasso
1/18/2014, 10:34 AM
Yeah, Sooner Magic happened in Stillwater, not New Orleans.
But either way those shirts are cool!

1/19/2014, 02:16 PM
These guys have a LOT of different shirts and other stuff commemorating the Sugar Bowl win. i got a shirt last night, and was notified it shipped already:

http://www.fanatics.com/COLLEGE_Oklahoma_Sooners/browse/partnerid/10413/source/gppc95-ncaa-oklahoma-sugar-bowl-champs-shirts?utm_content=ecFd49Zl&pcrid=34597336977

1/19/2014, 02:52 PM
No Sooner Magic was required on Jan 2, 2014.pretty much agree. i got the Sugar Bowl champs with the score on it instead of the Sooner Magic.

FirstandGoal
1/21/2014, 01:08 PM
Got to wear my t-shirt this weekend up hiking around and I love it.
I also wore it to the gym earlier today. So far I'm loving the shirt as I ordered it a little oversized and it will be great for spring days (when I'm missing football season already) to schlep around in on the weekends.

Depending on how warm it will be for the spring game, I might just wear it there as well. :cool:

ouwasp
1/21/2014, 09:30 PM
got my shirts today, but not wearing it until Val Day next month...since I also purchased one for my son for that, so I'll just wait too.

I guess the DVD to be shipped later.

tulsaoilerfan
1/22/2014, 10:22 AM
I got one for all 3 of us, but unfortunately the biggest size was a 2X, so that one is kinda tight on my fat *** lol