achiro
1/14/2014, 08:00 PM
http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2014/1/14/5308182/culture-change-at-texas

MichiganSooner
1/14/2014, 08:33 PM
Strong means business.

ashley
1/14/2014, 08:40 PM
well and good, but if he doesn't have a QB it may all be for little.

Breadburner
1/14/2014, 08:44 PM
It's going to backfire....See Mangino at KU and Leach at TTU......

ashley
1/14/2014, 08:48 PM
Good stuff, especially for our recruiting.

yermom
1/14/2014, 09:08 PM
can they pay off leases? can they all eat together?

who decides what a minor injury is?

Jacie
1/14/2014, 09:09 PM
Much of what I just read is what I expected, not in specifics but in attitude, and IMO, the only real hope of turning things around there, at least in the timeframe college coaches are now held.

The guy means business and the AD has given him a freehand to run the team as he sees fit.

Whether it works in the climate that exists in Austin only time will tell.

8timechamps
1/14/2014, 09:22 PM
Here's the list of player expectations (from the article):

Players will attend all of their classes and sit in the front two rows of all of their classes. GAs, academic folks, position coaches will be checking constantly now.
No headphones in class. No texting in class. Sit up and take notes.
If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don't want to run.
No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect.
Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.
The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over.
There's no time for a rebuild. "I don't have time for that." The expectation is that Texas wins now.
Players will learn that they would rather practice than milk a minor injury.
The focus is on winning and graduating. Anything extraneous to that is a distraction and will be stamped out or removed.
Strong met individually with seniors and key leaders and re-emphasized that the plan is to win now. They can lead the new culture or be run over by it.
"I don't want to talk about things. I'd rather do things. We just talked. Now it's time to do."

Most of that is typical, and should be expected from any good program. Some of it seems a little (for lack of a better word) weird. "If a player misses class, he runs until it hurts...", that seems very high school-ish to me, but maybe it's what Texas needs.

Most of that should go without saying, but I guess things were pretty bad there.

8timechamps
1/14/2014, 09:28 PM
Much of what I just read is what I expected, not in specifics but in attitude, and IMO, the only real hope of turning things around there, at least in the timeframe college coaches are now held.

The guy means business and the AD has given him a freehand to run the team as he sees fit.

Whether it works in the climate that exists in Austin only time will tell.

If I were a texas fan (well, first I'd hang myself), I'd be pretty excited about this attitude. However, there will be fallout. Wonder how "supportive" the admin will be after the first "good" player complains or leaves?

I don't know, it just sounds like he's used to dealing with a smaller program, and the athletes (and their egos) are going to be a little different at Texas. We'll see...

Soonerjeepman
1/14/2014, 09:35 PM

Players will attend all of their classes and sit in the front two rows of all of their classes. GAs, academic folks, position coaches will be checking constantly now.
If a player misses a class, he runs until it hurts. If he misses two classes, his entire position unit runs. If he misses three, the position coach runs. The position coaches don't want to run.
No earrings in the football building. No drugs. No stealing. No guns. Treat women with respect.
Players may not live off campus anymore, unless they're a senior who hits certain academic standards. The University will buy out the leases for every player currently living off campus and put them in the athletic dorm.
The team will all live together, eat together, suffer together, and hang out together. They will become a true team and learn to impose accountability on each other. The cliques are over.
There's no time for a rebuild. "I don't have time for that." The expectation is that Texas wins now.
The focus is on winning and graduating. Anything extraneous to that is a distraction and will be stamped out or removed.
Strong met individually with seniors and key leaders and re-emphasized that the plan is to win now. They can lead the new culture or be run over by it.
"I don't want to talk about things. I'd rather do things. We just talked. Now it's time to do."

Most of that is typical, and should be expected from any good program. Some of it seems a little (for lack of a better word) weird. "If a player misses class, he runs until it hurts...", that seems very high school-ish to me, but maybe it's what Texas needs.

Most of that should go without saying, but I guess things were pretty bad there.

THAT really has to be written down? wow....

BoulderSooner79
1/14/2014, 09:48 PM

I'd bet there are players that own guns.

fadada1
1/14/2014, 09:48 PM

THE HUMANITY!!!!

Soonerjeepman
1/14/2014, 09:56 PM
I'd bet there are players that own guns.

prob...I'm guessing it's for the non-legal ownership of guns...maybe not. I know my son has one...but it will not go to college with him.

EatLeadCommie
1/14/2014, 10:00 PM
If I was a UT fan, I'd be very happy reading this.

Jacie
1/14/2014, 10:06 PM
I will be surprised if some players don't leave and it sounds like they already expect that to happen.

SoonerMarkVA
1/14/2014, 10:12 PM
I will be surprised if some players don't leave and it sounds like they already expect that to happen.

Could call it "Ahmed Kabba" syndrome.

kevpks
1/14/2014, 10:38 PM
A lot of talk. That team has 8-4 or worse written all over it.

yermom
1/14/2014, 11:21 PM
I still think they miss Mack for at least a year

SoCalBigRed
1/15/2014, 04:33 AM
Yeah, those rules sound great to Mom's and Dad's.

To 18 - 20 y/o kids? To the money that's behind that program?

LOL!

Strong will adapt to texas, or he will be gone. If that's his attitude and he's sticking to it, I don't expect him to last the 3 - 4 I originally gave him.

olevetonahill
1/15/2014, 04:58 AM
I want to hear more about this" Housing allowance", Isnt that just a way to Put extra cash in the Players pockets?
How about the School buying out their existing Leases?
Sounds like the NCAA needs to look at that.

oupride
1/15/2014, 07:33 AM
Do you think some good players will transfer?

ashley
1/15/2014, 07:37 AM
Letting the players move to apartments spread them out. Schools found out it lessened their problems. Putting them all together was a prescription for problems. Too much testosterone in one location.

rock on sooner
1/15/2014, 07:58 AM
I want to hear more about this" Housing allowance", Isnt that just a way to Put extra cash in the Players pockets?

The NCAA will look into that....it is on their agenda for 2025,
that's right after UT wins their fourth in a row MNC...

olevetonahill
1/15/2014, 08:16 AM
The NCAA will look into that....it is on their agenda for 2025,
that's right after UT wins their fourth in a row MNC...

Seriously tho is this sompun ALL schools do? Do ALL the kids on scollies get this?

stoopified
1/15/2014, 08:48 AM
Team must live together? How? Athlete only dorms are banned by NCAA rule.

cherokeebrewer
1/15/2014, 09:20 AM
That's all well and good if you're running a boot camp, but for entitled UT athletes not so much. Culture shock can have a way of backfiring, especially in the short term. They'll lose some players for sure.

jkjsooner
1/15/2014, 11:07 AM

Nobody would have wanted to be on my team when I was in college...

Seriously though, never missed a single class in grad school and you know what, it does make a difference! For a couple of years there in undergrad I thought I could miss a class here and there and then I'd wonder why I was lost in class...

jkjsooner
1/15/2014, 11:13 AM

I had the same question about the existing lease. That doesn't sound like it would fly.

Sooner in Tampa
1/15/2014, 11:36 AM
Culture Change may be an understatement...

I can see a ton of kids ditching UT...they signed on for Mack Brown's Country Club atmosphere...

badger
1/15/2014, 11:39 AM
Texas culture change (from the Shaggy dick drawer)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-x0Lkz5-Rl_U/UsjMykPDcUI/AAAAAAAABfE/-5kTTh6oMug/s640/SeasonFinal5.png
It's actually pretty accurate --- old guy Jeff Madden:
http://www.austinpost.org/files/madden_jeff_2011_2.jpg
New guy Pat Moorer:
http://www.straitpinkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Pat-Moorer.jpg

KantoSooner
1/15/2014, 11:51 AM
There's the Charlie Strong difference. It'll take him a season to weed out (pun intended) the useless at UT (and I include perhaps 1/5 of the roster in that category) and then he'll produce teams in his own relentless image. The dude is good and 18-22 year old will follow a coach who walks the walk no matter how hokey it might sound.
UT hiring him just made Stoops' job much harder. Probably will make the B12 better, but we just lost the 75% of the time 'bye' that the RRS had become.

badger
1/15/2014, 12:03 PM
UT hiring him just made Stoops' job much harder. Probably will make the B12 better, but we just lost the 75% of the time 'bye' that the RRS had become.

Good! College coaches are paid waaaay too much these days (http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm). Bout time they work a bit more for what they make/earn

PrideMom
1/15/2014, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't care if Texas never won another game! Their arrogance and attitude towards others should not be tolerated. Big hats, big money and bigotry....

KantoSooner
1/15/2014, 12:38 PM
I'm in total agreement, just saying that Strong will build a kick azz defense in Texas. And that will generate at least some degree of success.

badger
1/15/2014, 12:53 PM
I'm in total agreement, just saying that Strong will build a kick azz defense in Texas. And that will generate at least some degree of success.

As long as it's against everyone else and not OU I am not completely against this (only partially)

BoulderSooner79
1/15/2014, 12:59 PM
With 4 playoff slots, we don't need the horns to be an elite program. As long as it the conference doesn't degrade to the level of the old big east, the OU brand is plenty strong enough to get OUr elite squads into the top 4. Of course, it doesn't matter what I'd like, UT will be transmogrify anyway…

70sooner
1/15/2014, 01:03 PM
well and good, but if he doesn't have a QB it may all be for little.

they didn't have one this year and they still be OU.

jes sayin....

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/15/2014, 01:10 PM
My question is how is strong going to handle this mess? Because we sure stumbled right into it.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/oklahoma/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-1843

This class has the #1 and #2 picks of the NFL draft 2 years ago but 1 wanted to go OOS and the other wanted to play QB (whereas everyone else was recruiting him as a WR). The hit rate on this entire list is <20%

Scott D
1/15/2014, 04:29 PM

You're talking about a guy who spent a lot of time in his last two jobs recruiting players from the greater Miami, Fl area.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/15/2014, 05:20 PM
You're talking about a guy who spent a lot of time in his last two jobs recruiting players from the greater Miami, Fl area.

last 2? how about every job he has ever had?

Dan Thompson
1/15/2014, 07:40 PM
Sounds like boot camp.

ashley
1/15/2014, 08:24 PM
Every coach that takes a job says a bunch of stuff. Stronger, more discipline, more exciting. Don't worry about it. It's all about quarterbacking. He can make them live on cots in huts and whip them but if the don't get one they will be in trouble.

HToady
1/16/2014, 11:25 AM
It's going to backfire....See Mangino at KU and Leach at TTU......

These two guys won more at their respective schools than anyone before or after. Their problem was they couldn't get along with Management.

swardboy
1/16/2014, 11:49 AM
And they had whiney little brats playing for them.

badger
1/16/2014, 12:34 PM
And they had whiney little brats playing for them.
If you're going to lose regardless, why work your arse off just to end up with the same result? Why not have a bit more fun in your off campus apartment doing drugs, preying on easy chicks and taking booster money

meh, it was fun beating them most years while it lasted. Texas National Champions every season STRONGHORN STRONGHORN STRONGHORN :mack:

8timechamps
1/16/2014, 03:52 PM
Every coach that takes a job says a bunch of stuff. Stronger, more discipline, more exciting. Don't worry about it. It's all about quarterbacking. He can make them live on cots in huts and whip them but if the don't get one they will be in trouble.

Couldn't agree more. And right now, UT's isn't looking too great. Tyrone Swoops may be the answer, but as we all know, it takes time for a kid to develop. I'd be surprised if David Ash ever played another down of football, and if he does, I don't think he'll last long.

Texas is still the same old Texas until they get a QB.

Scott D
1/16/2014, 04:10 PM
last 2? how about every job he has ever had?

the last two being more high profile.

badger
1/16/2014, 05:31 PM

Sh!t we're gonna lose again in October :mack:

TXBOOMER
1/16/2014, 10:50 PM
Total control old school doesn't work with today's prima donnas. It will with some of them but not all. I have a buddy that played in the NFL and is currently a D1 coach. He has told me unreal stories about the parents of students athletes and the student athletes complaining about minor BS constantly. It disgusts him, but he has to deal with it I see a mutiny in their future. .

olevetonahill
1/17/2014, 02:05 AM
The Slave has become the Master.

Curly Bill
1/17/2014, 04:41 AM
Couldn't agree more. And right now, UT's isn't looking too great. Tyrone Swoops may be the answer, but as we all know, it takes time for a kid to develop. I'd be surprised if David Ash ever played another down of football, and if he does, I don't think he'll last long.

Not the least bit worried about Swoops. The incoming freshman Jerrod Heard worries me more than Swoops.

ashley
1/17/2014, 08:32 AM
Not the least bit worried about Swoops. The incoming freshman Jerrod Heard worries me more than Swoops.

Exactly.

Curly Bill
1/17/2014, 08:34 AM
Exactly.

With BV gone from OU, you and I seem to agree on a lot more things! LOL

Position Limit
1/17/2014, 10:53 AM
so now texas is gonna start lifting weights? and this is culture change? what a pathetic bunch. if strong doesnt come out winning in a hurry things in austin are gonna get weird. and by weird i mean racey.

cherokeebrewer
1/17/2014, 11:04 AM
if strong doesnt come out winning in a hurry things in austin are gonna get weird. and by weird i mean racey.

Austin is already weird...

BoulderSooner79
1/17/2014, 11:10 AM

...which is the reason it stands above the rest of texas.

Position Limit
1/17/2014, 11:13 AM

it was a pun

cherokeebrewer
1/17/2014, 11:47 AM
it was a pun

Strange 'pun' but as long as we keep Austin weird, I'm good...

sooneredaco
1/17/2014, 11:54 AM
I hear they are playing tackle football too

swardboy
1/17/2014, 01:47 PM

They're runnin' in Austin!

picasso
1/17/2014, 02:09 PM
I hope they don't try to game plan.

King Barry's Back
1/17/2014, 10:55 PM

That run til it hurts mentality is exactly how things worked back when i was a kid. But i remember a strength and conditioning coach in about 2000 saying that for top notch athletes this was counter productive.

Instead, they should run exactly the amount that provides maximum training/performance value, and that running them more only created fatigue, degraded performance and risked injury. Also, it created the mentality that training was punishment, which risked demoralizing your team.

My guess is that he'll run them in the spring, when he's new and setting a tone and there's a long time til game time, and then back off from that in the fall.

King Barry's Back
1/17/2014, 11:00 PM
Culture Change may be an understatement...

I can see a ton of kids ditching UT...they signed on for Mack Brown's Country Club atmosphere...

I am sure that Strong understands and welcomes this. He just doesn't want to lose too many.