PDA

View Full Version : Wickline to Texas

ouwasp
1/12/2014, 02:19 PM
So the poke OL genius is headed for darker orange pastures it seems. Shaggy and the OSU boards are all reporting this. Why can't guys like Wickline just disappear to East Popcorn St?http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=181&f=2336&t=12577882

Breadburner
1/12/2014, 02:58 PM
They are pooping Orange at OP over this.....

8timechamps
1/12/2014, 03:01 PM
This is almost as good a hire as Strong. I certainly won't miss him at OSU!

Too bad he couldn't have accepted a job in another conference.

picasso
1/12/2014, 04:07 PM
Meh. Texas will find a way to muck it all up.

Breadburner
1/12/2014, 04:09 PM
I don't think the Strong hire is a good move by Texas......

olevetonahill
1/12/2014, 04:27 PM
I don't think the Strong hire is a good move by Texas......

I hope its a ****in disaster :very_drunk:

CK Sooner
1/12/2014, 04:29 PM
Apparently he is one of, if not the best o-line coaches in the nation. I was surprised to see what OSU was paying him...it was a lot.

CK Sooner
1/12/2014, 04:30 PM
I hope its a ****in disaster :very_drunk:

Nothing would make me happier then if Texas has another mediocre 3-4 years and then Strong is fired.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/12/2014, 04:42 PM
Nothing would make me happier then if Texas has another mediocre 3-4 years and then Strong is fired.Order and harmony. Things as they should be.

Also, racial discrimination charges filed, and much ballyhooing by the Media.

ouflak
1/12/2014, 05:05 PM
Also, racial discrimination charges filed, and much ballyhooing by the Media.

Maybe it could get so bad that the UT will be forced to changed to their mascot to something more politically correct.

1/12/2014, 07:17 PM
Maybe it could get so bad that the UT will be forced to changed to their mascot to something more politically correct.The Texas Mesquites? The Texas Hill Country Pussies? Texas Sackless Eunuchs?

olevetonahill
1/12/2014, 07:59 PM
The "Fighting Asterisks "
What I win?

Jacie
1/12/2014, 08:55 PM
To everyone saying it is business as usual in Austin, I don't think so.

The old guard has been replaced.

The ballot is still out on the results but it is a new day when Big Donors are not looked to make the Big Decisions.

They gave Mack 5 years to recover from losing to bama and decided enough is enough, time to go in a different direction and that meant from the top down.

They have opened the pocketbook and are out to create the best team money can buy.

Maybe things won't change on the field but not from lack of trying.

Something tells me the league is in for a surprise next fall, at least if the expectation is it will take x number of years for them to improve.

I hope OUr team is ready for them.

picasso
1/12/2014, 10:00 PM
What? Tecas just started using it's money?

8timechamps
1/12/2014, 11:25 PM
To everyone saying it is business as usual in Austin, I don't think so.

The old guard has been replaced.

The ballot is still out on the results but it is a new day when Big Donors are not looked to make the Big Decisions.

They gave Mack 5 years to recover from losing to bama and decided enough is enough, time to go in a different direction and that meant from the top down.

They have opened the pocketbook and are out to create the best team money can buy.

Maybe things won't change on the field but not from lack of trying.

Something tells me the league is in for a surprise next fall, at least if the expectation is it will take x number of years for them to improve.

I hope OUr team is ready for them.

Yeah, theses aren't the same old tired moves we've see Texas make in the past. And, right now, it appears Strong is intent on building a dream team of coordinators around him. I want Texas to be good again. When Texas isn't good, that opens the door for the Baylor's to creep up and occupy that spot...and after seeing how that looked, I'd rather have Texas at our side representing the conference.

What I am worried about though, is that all the right moves are being made to bring these guys in, but that doesn't change in inter-workings of Texas Football, and that's where I can see Texas really screwing it all up. There's a reason Mack had success at Texas, and built up goodwill...because he was a master of playing both sides of the isle. He could slap a booster on the back and hand him a beer, and he would allow booster to meddle in the program...then he could put on his fb coach hat and be a respectable leader of young men. I don't think there is any way Strong is going to become "one of the boys" when it comes to the Boosters, and I'm pretty sure that there is no way in hell he would allow them to meddle in his business.

IF he can manage both the team and all the extrenal garage, he could be the best coach texas has ever had. IF he can't, it'll be a short stop-over in his career.

SoCalBigRed
1/13/2014, 02:43 AM
3 - 4 years and he's (Strong) gone.

Curly Bill
1/13/2014, 04:08 AM
Count me in as another is who is waaaay underwhelmed with the Charlie Strong hire. I don't care who he takes down there with him.

sendbaht
1/13/2014, 04:48 AM
Nothing would make me happier then if Texas has another mediocre 3-4 years and then Strong is fired.

sad to said I agree, but this is football and I am really enjoyed the clown town in Austin...another 3 or 4 years of this oh yaaaaaaa.

oupride
1/13/2014, 07:33 AM
So the poke OL genius is headed for darker orange pastures it seems. Shaggy and the OSU boards are all reporting this. Why can't guys like Wickline just disappear to East Popcorn St?http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=181&f=2336&t=12577882
Thanks for the post.

swardboy
1/13/2014, 08:01 AM
Depending on 18-21 year old boys. What a career. We will never fully appreciate what Bob Stoops is doing right in front of us.

Jacie
1/13/2014, 09:25 AM
There have already been decommits by recruits, attributable to assistant coaches leaving but this is only the first round.

Remember Stoops first year? Some high profile names left OU including the most highly recruited wide receiver up to that time (on their own or shown the door, the result was the same).

Strong will face a similar situation there as he evaluates the sa*et roster and finds those who want to play versus those too absorbed with polishing the stars after their names.

As big a change as his coaching style will be from Mack's, the real shock waves emanate from the AD position. DeLoss and the old boy network were dealt a serious blow as pertains to running the football team. Patterson is in charge now and the task isn't stroking alums but rebuilding the program. There will probably be changes made to the LHN as well in terms of content and who calls the shots about access to coaches, meetings, etc.

The plus side of all this is that if UT returns to being a football contender the Big XII could come back and be relevant once more, perhaps enticing schools worth having to join the conference. It won't all happen at once. Just don't be surprised when it does.

picasso
1/13/2014, 11:14 AM
You're talking to us like we are oblivious to the potential down in Austin.
Any long time OU fan knows they are more than capable.
Who around here would be surlrised to see Texas return?
I would welcome it. I enjoyed the top 5 clashes.

PrideMom
1/13/2014, 11:21 AM
Texas can have all kinds of great coaches, but until they get rid of "the good ol' boys" that rule the program, it will always under achieve. What I have seen is the players do not improve from the first day on the field to their senior year.

Doesn't bother me though....but it is a shame that many players never see their full potential, no matter where they are.

8timechamps
1/13/2014, 04:46 PM
You're talking to us like we are oblivious to the potential down in Austin.
Any long time OU fan knows they are more than capable.
Who around here would be surlrised to see Texas return?
I would welcome it. I enjoyed the top 5 clashes.

The problem though pic, is that a lot of those that constantly rag on our conference, are the same ones saying they hope Texas remains terrible. Clearly, the conference is better with a strong Texas. Plus, I'm like you, I like it when the RRR is important and has the nations focus.

BoulderSooner79
1/13/2014, 05:40 PM
The problem though pic, is that a lot of those that constantly rag on our conference, are the same ones saying they hope Texas remains terrible. Clearly, the conference is better with a strong Texas. Plus, I'm like you, I like it when the RRR is important and has the nations focus.

I think almost all fans feel the same way if you just add the clause "and if we are guaranteed to always win"

:D

C&CDean
1/13/2014, 05:45 PM
Count me in as another is who is waaaay underwhelmed with the Charlie Strong hire. I don't care who he takes down there with him.

**** me. The kiss of death. When CB doesn't think they're any good...that means they are. ****.

1/13/2014, 06:27 PM
...I'm like you, I like it when the RRR is important and has the nations focus.
Phkukc.that.noise!...podnuh!

1/13/2014, 06:29 PM
I think almost all fans feel the same way if you just add the clause "and if we are guaranteed to always win"

:Dno shiite! Do i enjoy tx when they're good? hell, no way!:mack:Hook em

cvsooner
1/13/2014, 06:59 PM
If the BMDs stay out of his way, Strong will turn them around. They will be a monster team in about three seasons...maybe two. Ultimately I think it helps the conference but the second Saturday in October just got a lot more complicated. We might have one more 50-7 beatdown in the series, but mostly I think those are over. Hope we enjoyed them while we had them. This is going to be more like Switzer/Royal, where a lot of these games were nailbiters to the very end.

swardboy
1/14/2014, 12:35 PM
Good. If this means a new and improved Texas, then it got Stoops attention too. He's done a good job in revamping the coaching and the schemes on both O and D. Now he knows he can't sit on those laurels. Iron sharpens iron.

8timechamps
1/14/2014, 06:20 PM
Good. If this means a new and improved Texas, then it got Stoops attention too. He's done a good job in revamping the coaching and the schemes on both O and D. Now he knows he can't sit on those laurels. Iron sharpens iron.

Exactly!

SoonerMarkVA
1/14/2014, 07:04 PM

Absolutely. Heck, I hope Okie St. keeps getting better for the same reason. KSU too. I'd love us to get back to having 4 legit top-10 teams every year.

oupride
1/14/2014, 07:16 PM
Agreed. A weak Texas team hurts the entire Big 12, i.e. 2013 season.

picasso
1/14/2014, 07:18 PM
I would much rather the pokes and Tejas switch back.
The local Pokals are intolerable.

8timechamps
1/14/2014, 09:31 PM
I would much rather the pokes and Tejas switch back.
The local Pokals are intolerable.

I think that's what will happen shortly.

Wickline may be the best position coach in college football, and had a lot to do with OSU's success. I think losing him will be a big downgrade for OSU (unless some NFL coach is willing to come in, which won't happen).

The Poke's laughed off the SI story, and whether it was an accurate representation, or not, it's an easy target for coaches recruiting against the Pokes. And there could still be some NCAA involvement.

Just seems like things are trending down at O State, and I don't think it's going to get better soon.